5 – Monster Creation
599 2 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kohl could feel the story open before his eyes as he did what he knew best, create.

And something that was very important to any story, were the details.

So, that's where Kohl would start.

Beginning with the smallest creatures of any food chain, then working his way up until a fully functional and self-efficient ecosystem was set in place.

And so, Kohl decided to start with insects and bugs.

He started going through the stories in his head, looking for any references to insects in the stories, and it didn't take long before he began his work.

It took hardly a few units of mana each to create thousands of insects in each biome.

The insects were of great variety, ranging from colonies of Ants, Termites, Bees, and Wasps, to worms, ladybugs, spiders, mantises, and so much more.

That number quickly grew to the tens of thousands over the course of a couple of hours.

And, to make it even more interesting, Kohl began throwing in modified versions of a great many insects, such as the Crystal Ants, a species of ants that evolved to build their colonies around crystals and had special mandibles designed to chip away slowly at the crystals, and building their colonies inside these crystals, giving them great defense against other predators their size.

Another such modified species would be the Death Butterfly, a species of butterflies that would boast a skull pattern on their wings to represent that when they were around, death was near, as they were made to be perfect scavengers and eaters of the dead.

They were weak and didn't live long, but their reproduction abilities would be more than enough to sustain their population as they used the bodies they didn't eat as carriers of their eggs, eventually allowing a corpse undisturbed to pop open with more Death Butterflies.

Of course, the Death Butterflies didn't have a caterpillar stage since finding food would be extremely challenging due to their diets and speed, so, they instead when born had their bodies fully developed and ready to fly, which is why they didn't live very long lives, at most they'd survive for a couple of weeks if not a month before death with their goals being to reproduce as much as possible before eventually dying.

Next, Kohl began working on animals to eat the bugs and plants of the biomes, the Primary Consumers, such as Rabbits and Hares, quite a few birds, lizards such as geckos, and more.

Moving on, he began work on the Secondary Consumers, making snakes, even more types of birds, wild cats and dogs, fish, crabs, and so much more, to eat the Primary Consumers, the plants of the biomes, or both.

As for the Tertiary consumers, the Apex Predators of the Food Chain, he created Bears, Wolves, Eagles, Hawks, coyotes, mountain lions, and bobcats.

He wanted them to be simple animals to start off with, nothing crazy or too strong, since the Dome would be a simple starter zone, where the weak can start their journey to become something strong.

To keep the ecosystem balanced, he made sure that there were not too many Apex predators, but plenty of plants and primary consumers to keep the food chain working, the Apex Predators would also make sure that there were not too many Primary and Secondary Consumers so that their populations don't explode in number.

The Ecosystem would continue to sustain itself until something comes in and imbalances it, such as Humans or whatever equivalent eventually dives into its dungeon, but for now, it would continue working.

'Hmm..' Kohl hummed to himself, suddenly coming up with a brilliant idea for his first 'Rule.'

Rules were, well, rules in which dungeons could be set inside their dungeons, such as a rule in which Dungeon Divers must solve puzzles the correct way, or be faced with a Debuff of some kind.

What Kohl had in mind, well, it could only be described as powerful and extremely useful for any Dungeon, but the main reason for it would be that it's simply realistic.

Willing the Rule into reality, a screen appeared in his mind.

/========\

Rule: Survival of the Fittest

Description: Dungeon Entities can now hunt and kill one another for exp, however, for this rule to apply, the Dungeon cannot interfere with the process.

Cost: 3 Rule Slots

\========/

Essentially, the rule would allow for the monsters and animals of his Dungeon to hunt one another and level up with time, allowing for the monsters and animals to grow in strength and level in time without the need for killing Dungeon Divers.

Kohl felt relief that he even had the number of Rules required just to enact the Survival of the Fittest rule, having expected it to cost even more Rule slots.

If the rule worked properly, even the herbivores and bugs of the biomes could level up if they successfully defended themselves from their attackers.

Kohl couldn't help but feel excited about his creation, and the world he would eventually create.

But, that wasn't all Kohl was excited about, he was excited to see how his future Divers reacted and explored the world he would create, through his creations, the Divers would make their own stories, and it excited Kohl.

And so, he continued, watching and making sure that the monsters of the biomes worked as they should, fixing anything he noticed that was wrong or weird.

From his observations, he noticed quite a few things in regard to his more magical monsters.

For example, Spirit Trees apparently had other ways of gaining exp, such as absorbing various energies and converting them into exp, or accidentally causing the death of another monster, as an added bonus however, it didn't seem any monsters besides the spirits could tell the difference between a normal tree and a spirit tree.

As for the Sprites, while seemingly friendly with all the monsters/animals of the Dungeon, will still defend themselves when attacked, such as shown when attacked by aggressive or starving animals.

As for the Elementals?

Well...they seemed to only grow stronger with time, gaining exp from the Mana in their surroundings, same as the spirit trees, but, also seemed to attack anything that got close to them, and when he says attacks, he really means butchers the monsters, as they couldn't even deal any significant damage to the Elementals before dying, not that it was a lack for trying, the Elementals seemed to have a massively physical damage resistance, pretty much making them nearly unbeatable to the other monsters currently in the Dungeon.

Feeling quite satisfied with his progress, Kohl found himself to be ready, ready to finally begin searching for a Dimension to breach, and so, he poured all of his mana into the dimension and began pushing from inside, forcing it to move instead of remaining still in place.

It would take time, but eventually, his Dimension would touch another, and he would only need to breach the dimension and establish an entrance, in the meantime, might as well check on what's happening in the Dimensional Dungeon Core Chat.

/----------=+=----------\

---=[Dungeon Core Chat]=---

--[Local Section of the Omniverse]--

[Ca'vik] - I shall feast upon your core! @SnakesUponTheThrone

[SnakesUponTheThrone] - You can try @Ca'vik, but my Snakes shall revel in victory!

[Pragmatic Destroyer] - I swear, this sector has more childish cores than one would ever assume, will you two just destroy each other already?! Do the Omniverse a favor!

[Starless] - Don't bother, @Pragmatic Destroyer. They are weak, and they will be culled.

(MC) [Prometheus] - Hello brothers and sisters.

[Grasping Roots] - So you live! How wonderful! How is your new life treating you, child?

[Prometheus] - Child?

[Golden Makk] - She refers to all young cores as children, don't worry about it.

[Prometheus] - How old are they?

[Golden Makk] - She is older than me, and I am a millennia old.

[Prometheus] - How much time has passed since the announcement of my creation?

[Grasping Roots] - One year and eighty-eight days, child.

[Light's Hammer] - Ah, friend! You live! How would you like to hear about the blessings of the stars and their holy light?

[Necrotic Will] - Shut it, priest, say, @Prometheus, are you an avid supporter of undeath and the death of all organics?

[Grasping Roots] - Ignore that bag of bones, tell me, child, do you see the beauty in life?

[Prometheus] - Are all dungeon cores so...unique?

[Golden Makk] - ...yes, though not all are as bad as the ones in this sector.

[Prometheus] - ...Great...

33