19 – A Meeting with ‘The King’
474 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: This was the last chapter I touched on since the last chapter I published before going silent for months, so it is shorter than usual]

Stepping forward toward the man leaning against the wall, she asked, "Is the King in?"

"Julie?" The man asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk with the King. Is he in?" She tried again.

"Yeah, he's in, but who's your friend? You know the boss doesn't like to meet strangers," the man stated, staring at me.

"Pacer, now is not the time for this, my...friend, and I must meet the King. He's got something important to say," Julie tried again.

"Whatever you have to tell the King, you can tell me," Pacer arrogantly replied.

"Damn it, Pacer-!" Miss Farkas began to yell only to stop as a man dressed in a white suit with some... half-metallic dog slammed the door open and marched out.

"What in the hell is going on out here?" The man asked before seeing Pacer and Miss Farkas, who were arguing with one another.

"Julie? What are you doing here?" The man asked, confused.

"Trying to meet you, though this dolt wouldn't let me through," She cursed while waving towards Pacer.

The man looked over at Pacer, "We've gone over this before, Pacer. She and any of her guests are welcome here. Come, come, let's talk," The man waved to us, beckoning us into some stage room where a man was singing on the stage.

Sitting down, I silently observed the dog by the man's side.

It was strange, like a mix between a real dog and a Dwemmer creation.

Noticing my attention, the man said, "That be Rex, he's a good boy."

"What is he?" I asked, curious.

"A cyber dog from Pre-War."

"A...cyber dog?" I said out loud, in wonder.

"Yeah, Cyberdogs were meant to be some Police and Military guard dogs enhanced with technology. I've had Rex here for many years, but he's not left my side since," The man explained.

"I see," I replied, examining the dog.

Glancing at me briefly, he turned away and focused on Miss Farkas.

"Julie, what can I help you with? I heard you've been quite the busy bee for a while now, and I certainly did not expect to see you anytime soon," The man, who I could only assume must have been 'The King,' stated while talking to Miss Julie Farkas.

"Neither did I, but the same person who has begun supplying us with a constant supply of medicinal ingredients we have been using to create more medicine has asked me to set a meeting, one with you and the Kings," Miss Farkas explained while gesturing to me.

"And this is the man who has begun supplying you with the ingredients?" The King asked, examining me.

I spoke up, "Not exactly. I am merely the proxy of my Master, who wishes to meet with you privately and away from prying eyes."

"Then why are they not here?" The King retorted.

"Because my Master's...nature wouldn't be seen in any good light, and if he were to come anywhere near Freeside, I am afraid it would only end in violence, which is why, I am afraid, that he wishes to meet you at a predetermined location outside of New Vegas and Freeside," I replied, knowing full well that these...Humans would attack anything strange or different from them.

They acted a lot like Nords, ignorant towards things they didn't understand, choosing to use violence whenever things didn't go their way.

"And you trust this...master of his?" The King asked, looking toward Miss Farkas.

"So far, his master hasn't shown any reasons not to, especially since it sells us so many medicinal ingredients in bulk for a cheap price," Miss Farkas said.

"That's not enough. Do you trust them?" The King asked again, looking her in the eye.

"Yes," she replied earnestly.

"And why should I meet your master?" The King asked, looking at me.

"Simple, my Master wants to rebuild and heal this world, and it needs allies."

"What do you mean?" The King asked, confused.

"I am afraid I cannot explain further, not until you at least meet my Master. However, if you don't want to take my word for it, perhaps you can take hers. She has met my Master and can see a little bit of what he can do," I told the King, gesturing back to Miss Farkas.

...

Meanwhile, I was preparing for the meeting with the Kings, having moved multiple food crates to the meeting location.

While I wanted to offer the Followers of the Apocalypse medical supplies to distribute across Freeside and the Mojave Wasteland, it was the Kings that I tried to focus on selling food and water, seeing as the Kings would be able to defend themselves, they would likely be able to expand and gain more control over Freeside.

They already held control over some of the water reservoirs of Freeside, but if I gave them more ways to distribute water and food, they could sell them for cheaper, bringing more people to Freeside.

I wanted the two factions to grow and become much more critical in the Mojave Wasteland, and the best way to do that was to help them.

I wanted to fully rebuild New Vegas, including Freeside, Westside, and the other significant areas of power in the Mojave Wasteland, which meant I would also either need to gain Mr. House as an ally or have him replaced.

I'd also need to do something about the Great Khans, the Boomers, the Supermutants of Black Mountain, the Mojave Brotherhood of Steel Chapter, The Legion, and the NCR. The last three were the most problematic, as they were superpowers in their own right.

Meanwhile, I was also working on setting up the Pea Shooters and Sun Flowers around the vault, as I did not want to waste any time preparing for the future and when I'd summon the Juvenile Rachni Queen.

A few hours had already passed since I sent Ailwin off to set a meeting with the Kings. While part of me was prepared for him to come back after failing to convince the Kings to leave Freeside, I was pleasantly surprised when one of my Spore Carriers spotted a group heading toward the meeting spot, the clean robe clearly showing that Ailwin was a part of the group.

Still, due to my Carrier's poor vision, I couldn't make out the other humans with him. However, I could only assume that it must have been the Kings, or that was what I thought until I managed to make out the figure of a cyber dog, which meant only one thing, somehow, Ailwin managed to convince the King himself to meet me, when I fully expected to meet a proxy, such as Pacer from the game.

Though If I were dealing with the King himself, I might have to change tactics...

19