Chapter 3 – Brand New Dawn
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suppertime has come and gone, and the children are all sitting around the table and conversing. Gabriel and Mabel are washing and drying dishes while the rest of the adults are in the living room discussing future events now that Niel is in the picture.

"Your hair's really short now," Reed observes, though in actuality it was Illia who noticed first—she was just too shy to bring it up to Niel and instead got Reed to make mention of it. "Did you choose to cut it?"

Niel runs his fingers through the centimetre-long stands of hair on his head. It's different having short hair, but he doesn't hate it. At least it doesn't get in his eyes or ears anymore, or itch. "There was something wrong with it and they couldn't save it, so they cut it all off. I think they said it was... mashed? Something with an 'M'," Niel explains.

"Do you mean matted?" Mabel questions.

"That's the word."

"Heh, mashed..." Reed pokes under his breath. Lydia pokes him in return with a deathly glare.

"You should count your blessings, Reed," Niel says. "You can make fun of me and get away with it. Had I been that bold to my superiors, they would've cut my tongue out." The comment causes Reed's smirk to quickly fizzle out.

"I'm sure they would've, but couldn't you have defended yourself? From what you've told us, your Dark Dust sounds really powerful, even without the Warden's Key, so I'm sure you could've overpowered anyone that you came across."

Niel takes a sharp breath; Reed accidentally touched a nerve. "That place was locked down like a goddamn bank vault! If I killed one or two of them, where the hell could I have gone to? They would've thrown as many bodies as it took to wear me out of Dust, then put a bullet in my head! What the fuck could I have done?"

"Easy dude! Chill! I'm not trying to piss you off!" Reed blurts out. "It was a genuine question, but... let's just drop it."

"Yes, let's," Mabel says.

"Also, Niel? Please watch your language," Gabriel adds. His tone is a mix of gentleness, consideration, and strictness. "I understand you're frustrated, but you shouldn't swear."

Niel doesn't verbally respond but his gaze falls to his lap, and then to the Warden's Key hanging from his neck, faintly glowing white rather than the idle black.

>>>>>>

After Dwayne, Poppy, Clara, and Louise leave for the night, Niel is told that it's his turn to have a shower. While he bathed in the hospital, it was in a tub filled shallowly, so he doesn't know how the single shower handle works. After some experimentation with turning the handle (and a minor freakout after getting splashed unexpectedly), he sheds all but the Warden's Key and nervously steps underneath the falling lukewarm water. Getting wet brings back bad memories for him, so he cleans himself hastily so he can get out and dry as soon as possible.

Once he is dried and dressed, Gabriel shows him where to put his dirty clothes and towel, and how to put everything back. Illia enters soon after to brush her teeth, and Niel ends up copying her to learn how this nightly ritual is performed, along with flossing his teeth, using mouthwash, and washing his face. The constant silent attention to her makes her nervous—not that she thinks he'll do something to her, but that she doesn't like having the spotlight. It doesn't help that he already unnerves her with just his presence. The pair soon finish preparing for bed, and with a shy goodnight wave, Illia disappears behind her room door with her shadow in tow.

Niel enters his room and shuts his door. While this is the room he was given, he doesn't feel any privacy or security in it. The people in this house are still strangers and can't be trusted. He begins searching his room for any type of surveillance equipment when he hears the stairs creaking. Immediately he sends his Dark Dust to scan, and the source is discovered to be Mabel. She's en route to his room, so he puts his search on pause and sits down on the bed. As soon as she reaches the door, Niel hears a gentle knock, and he uses his Dust to open it.

"Hi Niel," she says sweetly as she enters, closing the door behind her. She sits down next to him on the bed. "Did you brush your teeth yet?"

"Yes," he responds flatly.

"Did Illia show you what to do?"

"I copied her, so in a way, yes."

"How was your shower?"

"You're asking a lot of questions."

"Just to check on how you're doing."

Niel's gaze leaves Mabel and rests where the floor meets the wall in front of him. "...I don't like the water."

"Do you mean the shower water, or water in general?" Mabel questions.

"In general."

"Because of your past?"

"Because of my past."

Mabel wants to know more so she can better understand him, but given how details are an extremely sore spot for him, she decides not to press. "I'm sure in time it will get easier to handle, just make sure you clean yourself well enough."

"I'll try."

Mabel stands up and motions for Niel to do the same. He does as directed, and Mabel pulls back the bedsheets and ushers for him to lie down. When he does, she pulls the covers up to his collarbone.

"We'll be going shopping for clothes tomorrow, so try to get some sleep, okay?" Mabel says.

"Okay."

"Good night, Niel."

"Good night."

After Mabel leaves his room, he continues his search for hidden cameras and microphones, but this time by using his Dust without leaving the bed. To his surprise, he can't find anything, despite the thorough scan he conducted. There has to be something, right? Are they spying using methods he's never seen before? They have to be, right? There has to be some kind of ulterior motive on why they're letting him stay here, right?

This has to be too good to be true, right?

He lies in the dark, Warden's Key glowing faintly around his neck. The clock on the wall ticks away the midnight seconds. Occasionally passing cars rumble on the road outside. Faint metallic chimes of something within the house resound. His eyes are growing heavy; the burden of anxious days and sleepless nights are taking their toll. He can't fall asleep. Not here. It can't be safe here. The bed is so... soft... and warm...

He's asleep before he even realizes it.

...

Mom... Dad...
I can still see your faces...
Where are you?
...
I will find you...
And we can do the things
we never got the chance to...
As a family...

...

Niel opens his eyes expecting to see the familiar cold inside of his cell-room, but instead, he's greeted by a friendly bedroom illuminated by early morning sunlight. Glancing at the clock, he sees that it's a quarter past seven. If he recalls correctly, breakfast is served at eight, so there's still quite a wait ahead of him. Regardless, he approaches his dresser and retrieves the outfit that was picked for him a few days ago.

The grey shirt fits just fine, as do the blue jeans, but the latter feels somewhat stiff to him. He's never worn jeans before. At least the short sleeves of the shirt allow his Dark Dust to flow uninhibited. He places the dirty clothes in the bathroom's laundry hamper, uses the bathroom, and then stops in the hallway to gauge his next move. He scans the lower floors and finds that Mabel, Gabriel, and Poppy are all on the first floor in the kitchen, so he decides to go down and greet them.

"Oh! Good morning, Niel. You're up early," Mabel greets in surprise when she notices Niel half-peeking-half-standing around the corner to the kitchen. Gabriel and Poppy turn their heads swiftly in Niel's direction when Mabel's voice picks up, and they bid him a good morning as well.

"Good morning," Niel replies as he fully steps out from around the corner.

"Did you sleep well last night?" Gabriel asks.

"Better then I expected. What are you all doing?"

"Discussing breakfast and what you guys'll be doing today," Poppy explains. "Are you ready for breakfast?"

"Yes," Niel responds flatly.

"Is there anything you would like in particular?"

"Anything is fine."

"Okay!" Poppy ties her hair back in a messy ponytail and washes her hands in preparation to cook. Mabel ushers Niel to the kitchen table so he can sit while waiting.

"For today," Gabriel begins, "We'll be leaving the house at three to pick Reed and Lydia up from school, then we'll make our way to the store."

"But before that, you'll be doing something special today," Mabel says, though just before she can get another word out, the sound of the front door can be heard opening. Niel immediately scans the entrance and discovers the intruder to merely be Louise.

"Good morning, everyone," she greets as she joins them in the kitchen. Her outfit is nearly identical to the one she wore yesterday, all the way down to her hairstyle.

"Good morning, and what perfect timing!" Mabel chirps. "I was just about to give Niel the rundown of this morning."

"Ah, then if I may?"

"Go ahead!"

Louise turns to face Niel, and the boy stands at attention due to being addressed, though he relaxes in short order due to Louise assuring him he doesn't need to be so formal. In reality, this was instinctual—a response seared into his brain from his time in confinement.

"Your lessons with me will begin tomorrow, so to help you feel prepared, you will be observing the classes between Illia and I today," Louise explains.

"Very well," Niel responds flatly, but respectfully. Louise nods her head in acknowledgment.

"Poppy? I already had breakfast, but I must say, the smell of your cooking is already making me feel hungry," Louise acknowledges. Upon hearing this, Niel notices that a mouthwatering aroma is wafting through the kitchen. "What might you be making?"

"That's a surprise for the newest addition of the family!" Poppy retorts with a playful grin. A kettle spewing steam starts beeping, and the sound of the bubbling water within slowly fades out.

"Would you like a coffee, Louise?" Mabel asks.

"Not right now, thank you. But I would like one later, if I may."

"You're always welcome to one here," Gabriel assures.

Niel sits back down at the table and his breakfast is delivered to him shortly after. The meal consists of a cheese omelette, a slice of toast with strawberry jam, two slices of bacon, and an orange on the side. Poppy didn't make too much just in case he didn't like something or wasn't hungry enough to eat it all, but to her surprise, it all disappears in short order; he enjoyed every bite. There's one thing left, though, and Poppy brings it to the table alongside a container of sugar and milk: a mug of tea. He has no idea what to do with it all.

"I didn't mix up your tea because I don't know how you like it, so let's find out!" Poppy suggests cheerfully as she takes a seat next to Niel. "All you have to do is add sugar and milk until it tastes just right to you!"

"Okay." Niel starts by taking a sip of the unsweetened tea, and the bitter yet bland taste causes his face to scrunch up a bit. He adds a teaspoon of sugar and a small splash of milk, and not only is it turning orange, but it's also starting to taste better, too. He adds a second teaspoon of sugar and a bit more milk, and he decides the taste is good enough.

"Two teaspoons and that much milk, got it!" Poppy chirps as she puts the sugar and milk away.

As Niel sips on his tea, the thumps of footsteps can be heard from upstairs. Lydia is the first to reach the table, then Reed a minute after, and then Illia ten minutes after him. Good mornings and light chat are exchanged, but Lydia and Reed soon leave the house.

"Where are they going?" Niel questions.

"To school," Gabriel replies.

"School?"

"A place where children gather to learn," Louise explains. "School outfits children with the tools and the knowledge to succeed in the broader world. My role as a teacher is to provide you and Illia with a similar education."

"But then, why aren't me and Illia in school as well?"

"You two need a more... specialized education, based on your circumstances," Gabriel says. For the most part, Niel understands what that means for him, but for Illia, he assumes it's for her mutism. "Plus, with the way the education system works, putting both of you in now as you are would only be detrimental to you two."

"Illia? Are you ready?" Louise asks the silent girl. She nods her head, places her dishes in the sink, then swiftly moves to the living room to begin today's lessons. Niel follows behind to observe.

Paper and worksheets are placed on a folding wooden table in front of Illia, and she begins writing on them diligently with Louise's instruction. The subjects Louise teaches make little sense to Niel, but he recognizes how proactive Louise is with her teaching. Whenever Illia is confused about something, Louise gives her clear explanations while also gently nudging her towards a correct answer; a far cry from the miserable tutoring he received in the lab. As for Illia, she's having trouble concentrating with the extra pair of eyes on her.

After a few hours and a lunch break, today's lessons have concluded, and Louise bids everyone farewell for the day. Instead of waiting in the living room for Mabel and Gabriel to finish getting ready, Illia disappears upstairs. Niel thinks nothing of it, but when she returns with a strange object in her hand, he starts paying attention. It's a small but thick wooden board with 17 metal prongs spanning half its length. Her attention is entirely focused on it as she sits down on the other side of the room, and when her fingers drift across the metal, a calming ringing sound plays. Niel recognizes it as the metallic chimes from last night.

"What's that?" Niel asks, his words causing her to look up sharply in surprise. She fidgets for a bit from being put on the spot, and not knowing how to answer, she raises the object in front of her so Niel can have a better look at it. Of course, this wasn't the issue, so Niel responds with, "I see it, but I don't know what it is."

This causes Illia to fidget even more. Niel doesn't know what to do. He considers just dropping the question entirely, but Illia approaches with her phone in hand and shows him the screen. On it is a picture of the object, captioned with the word 'kalimba'.

"It's called a kalimba?" Niel questions to confirm, to which Illia does by nodding her head.

Instead of returning to her seat, she sits on the other side of the couch Niel is on and begins plucking the instrument's metal tines to create a soothing melody. Niel can't help but enjoy the peace the music brings, and he leans against the back of the couch to take it in. It doesn't last long though as Mabel and Gabriel descend the stairs and inform the pair that it's time to go. Illia leaves her kalimba behind, and they drive away in the couple's orange SUV.

While this isn't his first time in a vehicle, as Dwayne drove him yesterday, this is the first time he's been driven through the heart of the city. People of all shapes and sizes wander the sides of the roads and all around are buildings too tall to see the tops of in the car. Many other vehicles surround them, moving in similar directions as they are, all being directed with the usage of signs and overhead lights of varying colours—Niel notes this system of travel as highly interesting.

Suddenly, loud sirens approach from behind them, and Gabriel pulls over and stops. A striped red and blue car with flashing lights zooms past them. After it disappears, Gabriel and the other vehicles around them resume driving.

"There's always something going on, isn't there?" Mabel remarks with a mixture of sadness and annoyance in her voice.

"We won't be seeing the end of it for a while, not as long as things keep going up in price," Gabriel responds. Niel is tempted to ask for more info, but he decides to stay quiet.

After another few minutes of driving through heavy traffic, they make it to a large yet unimpressive-looking two-story building and stop in the parking lot. There are a few people roughly Niel's age loitering outside the building or around their cars.

"This is the school," Gabriel says to Niel. Mabel steps out of the car and disappears towards the school, and after a few minutes, she returns with Reed and Lydia.

"Hey guys," Reed greets nonchalantly as he and Lydia enter and sit behind Niel and Illia. The pair nod in response.

"How was school?" Gabriel asks.

"Boring. Nothing but papers and assignments, as usual," Lydia responds over the clicks of her's and Reed's seatbelts.

"Well, there was something that happened today," Reed says.

"Oh, right. That."

"What happened?" Gabriel questions as he shifts the car into gear and pulls out of the parking lot.

"Some guy in grade 12 got stabbed in the hand behind Cornerstone. Don't know if it was a deal-gone-wrong or a fight, but there was a trail of blood drops on the floor in school," Reed explains.

"Shit, really?"

"Apparently the guy who did the stabbing doesn't go to our school, and the police are still looking for him," Lydia adds.

"What's Cornerstone?" Niel asks, mostly unfazed by the news.

"Uh, it's a convenience store across the road from the school. A lot of people grab snacks and lunch from there," Reed explains despite the sudden shift in conversation.

"Do either of you know them?" Mabel queries, returning to the more pressing topic.

"No," both Lydia and Reed answer.

As they come to a stop in front of a red traffic light, Gabriel turns his body to face the four kids behind him. "Now, who's ready to go shopping?" he says with a grin.

"This guy is!" Reed cheers as he places his hands on Niel's shoulders from behind. Niel is fazed by this gesture, but he doesn't fight against it.

Roughly ten minutes pass as they make the drive to the store. Once inside, Niel is surprised by the sheer amount and variety of products being sold, from food to homeware and everything in between. Many people come and go, which sparks some anxiety in him. He brings his hand up to cover the Warden's Key, even though it's already hidden underneath the fabric of his shirt. Niel also notices how Reed is glancing around them sporadically.

"This must be your first time in a supermarket, right?" Mabel asks Niel.

"Yeah. I've heard of large stores like this, but I didn't think they'd be this big..."

"That's what she said," Reed quips.

"What?"

"Shut up, Reed," Lydia hisses. Illia aggressively pokes him in the side of the head. The adults chuckle and shake their heads.

"Oh hey, why are you hiding the Warden's Key?" Reed questions. "I don't think you answered that question yesterday."

"I don't want others to see it. It'll only attract bad attention," Niel explains. "They'll talk about a weird pendant they saw some kid wearing, and—"

"Like your Mute, right? Got it," Reed says. "Though, it just sounds like you're being paranoid, if anything."

"I'm being safe, and when it comes to them, I can never be too safe."

The group meanders their way to the clothing section and begin the ceremony of updating Niel's wardrobe. Selecting what to buy is a simple endeavour as Niel is far from picky—so much so that Lydia ends up moderating what's chosen by Reed so Niel doesn't end up agreeing to wear a gag shirt. In the end, a black sweater, several pairs of pyjamas pants and shirts, a semi-formal white button-up shirt and black pants combo, red swimming trunks, and numerous shirts, pants, and shorts are bought. A veritable fortune nowadays, both in worth and price tag; Gabriel is glad this purchase will be on the home's tab and not his own. They exit the store at a moderate pace.

"—And you could've just used the fork that was in your left hand," Reed says jokingly as they exit, referring to last night's supper.

"I suppose I could have. My Dust is all I've ever really used," Niel responds as flatly as ever.

Suddenly, a cry for help echoes through the parking lot. On the other side of the road amid a crowded sidewalk, a woman pleads for someone to stop a thief, while the thief in question is making a hasty getaway from the scene of the crime on foot. Reed's shoulders and arms spark with his anger as he moves to close the gap. However, Niel drags him back the few steps he took with Dark Dust.

"Don't be stupid, Reed!" Lydia barks.

"You won't catch him," Niel says to the heated boy. By this time, a thin trail of Dust has reached the ankle of the running thief, and with a quick yank, the man takes a tumble onto the concrete. Two pursuers quickly pounce on the thief and restrain him.

"Did you do that?" Gabriel asks Niel.

"Because Reed wanted to step in, yes."

"Wait, you were able to trip him all the way over there with your Dark Dust and while he was running?" Reed questions with bewilderment in his voice.

"Yes. Quite easily, actually." The words on their own seem prideful, but Niel's tone is anything but.

"Dude, that's awesome!"

"I thought I said it's anything but..."

"Oh! Mabel? Gabriel? Do you know of any open areas that nobody goes to?" Reed asks. The three other kids immediately catch onto why Reed is asking this.

"Like, a spacious area, open?" Gabriel confirms.

"Yeah!"

"The only place around here that I can think of is outside the city," Mabel says.

"Then let's go there!"

"Hold on. Why do you want to go outside the city?" Gabriel questions.

"Because he wants to see Niel's Mute in action," Lydia explains begrudgingly. Niel can only stare dimly.

"You said yesterday that you would show us how your Mute works, but only if no one was around to see, right?" Reed reminds.

"I... did say that."

"Then you'll show us?"

"I suppose I will."

"You don't have to listen to him," Lydia says to Niel as she glares daggers at Reed.

Gabriel checks the time on his phone. "Well, we have enough time before supper. Niel, what do you want to do? It's up to you whether you want to or not."

"I said I would, so I will," Niel confirms.

In no way is it safe to just tell near-strangers the secrets of his power, but he... he wants to trust them—to finally have someone on his side. He feels he can't trust them, but he wants to. Maybe talking will help him learn to trust, and should they betray him, then perhaps it was all doomed from the start anyway.

They leave the boundaries of the city and find a secluded valley close to a wooded area—not the one protected by the city. The grass is still a brownish colour from the winter and puddles of mud lay dotted throughout like landmines, but at least the breeze is refreshing. It does carry the fecal stench of the mud, though... Reed finds a boulder half sticking out of the ground and places an empty pop can on top of it as a target. Niel and the others stand roughly 20 metres away.

"I'll give a demonstration of my power, then share with you two abilities and two functions," Niel explains.

"Cool!" Reed exclaims.

"What do you mean by functions?" Mabel questions.

"How my Dust works."

Niel coalesces Dust into a single point within the palm of his right hand and shapes it into the figure of a bullet, then flicks it into the air with his thumb. Next, he forms the shape of a breech-loading heavy revolver and breaks it open. The bullet miraculously falls into the chamber, and he closes the gun with a spinning flourish.

"Cover your ears," Niel orders as he levels the sights on the can. Everyone obliges.

A crack rings out when the trigger is pulled, though it's nowhere near as loud as a real hand cannon. The power seems to be lacking too, as the impact causes the can to spin vertically backward through the air, still fully intact. The real event, however, happens when the can makes contact with the ground. As soon as it lands, an earsplitting crack resounds as a large black explosion tears out from within the metal. Everything in the immediate area is consumed and obliterated with darkness, while black spikes of varying sizes erupt from the ground throughout. An excited and horrified awe is left on the others as the Dust settles.

"That was AWESOME!" Reed exclaims; him being in the excited range of the spectrum.

"Oh my god..." Mabel murmurs; her being in the horrified range of the spectrum.

Illia is left speechless, though it would be more surprising if she wasn't.

"By forcing a lot of Dust into a tiny space, then letting it go, I can create explosions like this, fired through shots with more accuracy than the top sharpshooters in the world," Niel explains. "Only issue is, it takes a lot of Dust, and I can't hold it forever."

"Because it would explode in your hand?" Lydia questions.

"Yes, due to the first function. It costs power to make Dark Dust, but it also costs power to maintain it."

"What do you mean by that?" Gabriel asks.

"I use power stored within the Warden's Key to create Dark Dust, but if I don't supply the Dust with more power, then it fades."

"So... it's like a battery that uses electricity to both make a lightbulb and power it, but if it stops powering the bulb, then it breaks and you have to make another one?" Reed guesses.

"Correct. And any hyper-condensed Dust gets released all at once, like pushing two equal sides of a magnet together and letting them go. If I hold a burst for too long, the cost of maintaining it becomes greater than the cost of making it."

"In that way, your Mute is similar to mine," Gabriel observes. "I can create platinum that fades over time, though it gets exhausting the longer I keep it formed. I can't create any bombs, though."

"Oh? If I may ask, then, what are the functions of your Mutes?" Niel asks.

"I can control hydrogen and oxygen, both separately and together as water," Lydia shares.

"Mine is white phosphorus, and Illia doesn't have one yet," Reed adds.

"I can turn myself into nitrogen gas and move around, and all it costs is stamina—like I ran the whole way," Mabel explains.

"Oh, I can do something like that, too," Niel states. His figure begins to dissipate into a cloud of smokey dust as he moves around, something Reed recognizes almost immediately. He reforms and says, "They referred to this ability as Dust Dash—the first ability I'm sharing with you today."

"Oh, that! That's what you did to escape the hospital!" Reed exclaims. "What's your second ability?"

Niel approaches a nearby tree, then spins around and falls back into it... literally. All that remains is a shadowy silhouette, which slips behind the tree and glides along the ground to leave everyone in even more shock. While his Dust formation and Dust Dash are similar to (or at least reminiscent of) other Mutes, this new ability is absolutely unlike any Mute seen before. He rises from the ground dripping with shadow as he returns to his original form.

"W-what...!? How...!?" Reed stammers.

"They referred to this ability as Shadow Dive; it's an offshoot of Dust Dash. I can hide in shadows and move undetected as a pseudo-shadow, though it requires power to use," Niel explains.

"You're really outfitted with a lot."

"I want to go back to something real quick," Lydia cuts in. "You said you could aim your shots better than any sharpshooter. How?"

"The second function of my Dust. Each particle of Dust emits an energy signature that I can detect. If I cover something in Dust, I can make out what and where it is, even if I can't see it physically. This ability is so precise I can make out facial features, using an amount so little a person can't feel it."

"Wow, you're REALLY outfitted with a lot," Reed says.

"So you can, like, spy on us from anywhere?" Lydia questions.

"I can."

"That's creepy."

"That's why I don't do it."

"But, how does seeing a target through walls make you more accurate?" Gabriel questions.

"By tagging something with Dust, I can guide more Dust to it. The bullets I fire may look like bullets, but they're still made of Dust, meaning I can control them freely."

"I see, so something like a laser-guided missile."

"Precisely."

"Man, your Dark Dust is really OP," Reed admits.

"OP?"

"Overpowered."

"Oh. Well, it was designed to be that way..."

Gabriel pulls his phone from his pocket and checks the time. "Time to go back now, it's getting close to suppertime."

0