57. The dilemma
262 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Armina woke up, the sun was inches away from her zenith. The second-day trials were already underway. As she attempted to run, she got blocked by a pair of hands.

"Kinoya said that you should rest," said a sweet voice.
"Where am I now?" It wasn't too painful, but resting didn't reduce her fatigue enough. There was still pain, but she could move now.

Armina sat back up with the support of the girl. The cover slid down over her body and exposed her milky white skin.

"It's not too big." Those words made her face twitch.
'I know that, and I'm very happy about that.' Still listening to someone else, she didn't feel too good. By instinct, she turned to her competitor.

'You're about the same.' Armina sneered inside, but as soon as she looked at her all-knowing smile, she couldn't help but feel embarrassed.

'Wait for a minute! It doesn't feel right .' Armina screamed, "Who took my clothes?"
"Kinoya told me to do it," replied the girl.
"Who are you?"

"I am an Iilea," she said in a slight bow before asking, "But are you soldiers right? Have you been fighting with Kinoya? No wonder you've lost it."

'Fight? I won't dare.' Armina smiled, "I came for trial. Yet I did not succeed."
"Was it hard?"
Armina shook her head, "I don't know. I've never seen a trial like this before."

"So, What is your name?"
"I am Armina, Armina…" She was hesitant to say her surname.
"Armina Armina? What a peculiar name."

"No, it is just Armina." She said with a smile.

Iilea set down a plate with two pieces of dry hard bread and a bowl of hot soup. "Eat up. You're going to need the strength. And here, wear this dress. Kinoya also said you're going to stay here until the trial is over.."

Iilea did not wait for her response and left as soon as she had announced it. And Armina didn't move anywhere. It wasn't pain, it wasn't exhaustion. 'But I'm feeling so sad.''

Even though the sun was concentrating on her body, she shuddered a bit. Hugging her knee she couldn't contain herself any more. 'I have failed. What should I do? I thought…' Her tears didn't show any sign of stopping.

She didn't remember how long she had been sitting like that, but when she put a spoonful of soup in her mouth it had cooled down already. It wasn't good, the soup was cold and tasted bland.

The bread was dry and rough, it was unpleasant to chew and was difficult to swallow. The dried pickle she ate was too chewy. She ate even though the tears never stopped flowing... It was oddly satisfying.

'It's the worst food I've ever tasted. However, it feels like I've earned it.' Armina was just sitting there staring at the empty soup pot.

She kept the plate at the side of the bed and put on the dress. She didn't put on the cloth wrap around her chest, even without it, the dress was loose around the chest. She took a piece of cloth and knotted it just below the chest as she left the room.

The moment she came out she was met with a crowded atmosphere. The trial ground was a little distance from the house she stayed at but it was noisy here as well.

Here, too, was the girl who gave her food and dress. She was selling the same food she had served Armina. There were a lot more girls in there.

Suddenly, Iilea turned to her and grinned before going back to work. Armina smiled and walked towards the dome.

The other trial was not as relevant as the last one. The one she failed to do. She was curious to know about the experiences of others.

What awaited her at the dome was an even larger crowd. She waited to see what was going on. It was like a game going on at the exit door.

Betting if the participants would be able to step out of the door or on the shoulder. Armina was watching a distance away. She didn't count, but she hadn't seen any of them out of almost 30.

'Is there someone who has been able to cross the room? In reality, I might have a chance.' She was optimistic. Looking at the outcomes of others, 'If there isn't enough to pass the court, they could take me. I was just three or two feet away from the entrance.'

A flicker of hope that was kindled in her heart only to be extinguished as soon as she went to ask.

'Did I have been sleeping for two days? 'She could not believe her ear, but the soldier had no reason to lie to her.

It's the third day, to start with. She couldn't believe she'd slept through the entire day. But more than 100 people were able to walk through the door. She feared that her future was ruined.

She didn't know what to do, the only thing she could do was sigh. If the tree didn't help her, she would have fallen. Not only that, but over 200 had also been asked to wait until the trial was over.

'I haven't been told to stay. The only person who said that was that girl.' In her mind, she struggled to catch the last piece of straw in the middle of the storm.

'Kinoya is a captain, to begin with. I didn't know how much the empire would have sanctioned to recruit, but it could never have been more than 50%. There will be no more than 150 people." There was one conclusion in her mind. 'There's no way I can join the army.'

"Are you all right? "The voice broke the trance. It was someone who was wearing a simple dress and an ugly jacket over it.

"No, I'm ok," Armina said, straightening herself. 'What am I doing here? How am I going to face my grandfather if I lose my morale so easily? I'm only 14. I've got to train hard. I'm sure...

"Are you all right? You're not looking so good. You're supposed to take some rest." It was that voice again.

"I said I was okay." She frowned but ignored him. 'Even if they don't take me in, I can still copy their training technique, and then next time I'll be...'

"Maam, please take this pill, it will wash away your fatigue."

Agitated by the constant interruption she looked at him for the first time. He was half-head taller than she was. He was a lighter colour than the man who was present here. But that didn't make her mood softer.

"I said I'm all right. Why are you harassing me?"
He was surprised by the sudden outburst, he said. "You don't look like that. Your face is too red."

Armina could feel the blood flowing to her head. Talking about colour to her people was a big taboo. "What are you talking about?" She screamed, not that the person before him couldn't know anything about that. "It's how I'm."

"Why are you so angry about that? "He stopped to think before continuing again, he said, "Could that be the time of the month?"
"That time of the month, huh? "She asked unconsciously.

"At some time of the month, the girls in my place became angrier and reddish. I don't know what it is..." He couldn't finish his sentence until he had to move to avoid the next blow.

"So I was right about that. You're not supposed to move that much. I've heard that it's going to be painful if you do that. "Unfortunately, his words were like adding oil to the fire. The attack went on for a few steps before the girl stopped, trying to take a breath.

He didn't miss the chance to grab the girl and forcefully put the pill in her mouth. There was nothing Armina could do to stop him. She knew it was a cheap quality pill, but it was a matter of life and death on the battlefield. She just wasn't able to spit it out.

"You're supposed to go and rest now. You're going to be as good as new tomorrow morning," he said, turning to leave. Armina couldn't say anything to the man who just showed her goodwill.

"It's good to see there are some brave women out there who are willing to fight for the empire."

Armina wanted to say something, but she stopped. 'Why am I here? Is that for the empire?' That was the question that came up in her head.

'My grandfather fought for the empire, what about me? Will he be happy if I join the army just to escape that? What will I do after I join the army? They could just take me away from here. What should I do? Why am I here?'

Each one of her thoughts was messing her brain more and more. Without a proper answer, she couldn't even think straight. She slid down by the tree and fell in her thoughts.

The sun had already begun to slip to the west. The person who just came from the dome was cheered by everyone. His nose was bleeding, he couldn't go straight, but he raised his hand in the air when he came out.

Unlike her house, nobody around her had time to think about her, even though she was a girl. She hid her self into her knees, under the tree.

7