Chapter 30 – Not An Afterschool Date
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The two of us reached Nagoya Station. Instead of going straight into the Higashiyama Line, we simultaneously decided to enter the mall. Just to relax, I suppose. Clearly, Sayako, the one who initiated the idea, has no ulterior motive.

“Wanna head to the bubble tea store, Hanzo?” A cutesy Sayako spoke.

Her voice was slightly higher pitched than usual… and it sounded like she was trembling. I guess she didn’t enjoy going to Hoshicho. Hoshocho? I already forgot its name.

Have you ever remembered something and just noticed the details you missed? When we reached the memorial, there were two younger-looking boys staring at us, whilst we paid our respects. It could’ve gone badly, and I’m just being honest. If one of those two didn’t like us, I think we probably would’ve got robbed.

What an incredible contrast to earlier. The underground mall was cozy, air-conditioned, and it was a complete bright spectacle. The shrine to capitalism. A monument to gluttony. What other insults/compliments could I come up with?

Look. I could inflate my thoughts with flowery language. All rosy, and over describing something with little function, other than just a mere flex of my rather pitifully weak Japanese language skills. See, I even did it then.

So instead I’ll keep it simple. Right, me?

The ceiling was white. Everything about the mall screamed elegance. The AC kept everything to such a pleasurable level of warmth. It can get notoriously hot in malls like this. 

Anyway, I needed to answer Sayako's question.

“Sure, Sayako. I mean, we did just drink some green tea earlier but if you insist, I don’t mind going.” I told her.

“I’ll pay for you, Honzo.” She made a quick comment.

“Even better. Deal.”

The both of us gave a firm handshake like we just exchanged millions of foreign currency. Sadly, it was good old yen.

Both of us headed to the boba tea shop. Sayako said that it was ‘authentic’ and that the owners and employees are Taiwanese. Like that really matters, to be honest. Then again, I’ll do it all for Yam Tea. Yep. I’m doubling down on it. Cassava is basically a yam, right?

I'm sure I didn’t offend half of Asia and most of the continent of Africa too. Sorry on behalf of myself. Yams and cassavas are different. I retract that earlier 'rhetorical question.'

The tea spot was deep into a wall. It was pushed really back. Come to think of it, this isn’t an underground mall. It just feels like it, because most city stations have a little one deep under.

Sayako looked at me. She literally finished her vacuuming of the straw. Why is she like this? None of that makes me feel aroused. I bet you, she’s going to ask some leading questions.

“Hey, Honzo.”

Oh wow. It’s one of these thoughts! Also, it seems like it’s been a while since she called me by my actual name. No respect from Sayako, eh.

Next, she spoke in a direct manner, not really typical for her.

“What type of girls do you actually like?”

I have to come up with a zinger to defuse! This is way too leading.

“All of them.”

“No, I’m being serious. Seriously.” She seemed to get stern.

I gave out a long-winded sigh.

Well, I asked her. “Do you want me to give a completely serious answer?”

“I don’t really mind.” She retorted.

Honesty is the best policy, right?

“You, Mai, Nishi-chan, and Shibuya-san in that order, from least to most.”

“Fair enough.” Sayako seemed slightly annoyed and began sipping her bubble tea.

That’s why I hate speaking to people. I think I have no tact. What could I have said without compromising my need to be truthful and authentic? I’m superficially sociable.

“So, you’re saying there’s still a chance for Tatsuya to crawl into your heart?”

 She jokingly commented. I think she knew that this situation was a result of her question, so she defused it.

“Yeah, but you’re already in my deep thoughts so it’s kind of hard for him to beat that. I think you’re cute, kind, and maybe my favourite person in our class in a normal conversation.”

I needed to be honest, right?

Next, Sayako dropped her boba tea. It didn’t spill or anything, since there was little distance between her hands and the window table, but that was kind of a shock.

“You’re lying.” She said in a surprised manner, maybe even trembling.

Next, she continued further. “Honzo, you really know how to say something, huh.” 

She tried playing it cool but her expression was pink like a blossom. I think she was trying to hide her smile but she was simply too giddy. What did I say earlier to elicit this response, but calling her a part of my top 4 girls upsetting? Maybe it’s because I told her the names, directly. That’s literally it. I really am a fool, huh.

Sayako really is cute. See my past thoughts from a few days ago. I’m not lying. Her other ‘twin’ Saeka, just doesn’t have the same energy. She’s almost really… well, arousing in a certain manner. Sayako is just moe. Nishi-chan too, but everyone agrees on that. I might be her childhood friend or borderline family member, but anyone who sees her will state that.

Wait. Now I find myself being really conscious about Sayako. Damn. Her navy blue uniform made her look strikingly stunning. Was her chest really that… elevated? Man, I need to stop. Think about something, quick!

Yes! 

The Japanese archipelago now has 14,125 islands compared to the old number of 6,852! I think Japan is tied with the Philippines as the most at-risk from natural disasters since they are both ‘ring of fire’ countries. Anymore? Turtles are cool, I think! Yeah! Ocean turtles!

No. I don’t think it worked. I think I’m just going to describe her now and reflect on my stupid, idiotic thoughts later.

Thinking about it, I don’t think I’ve ever described her in real depth. Sayako has long and lush hair. A beautiful black. It was honestly astounding, and reminiscent of Snow White, for some reason. Down to the midpoint of her back. I called her a porcelain doll a while back. Right now, it’s not really accurate since she wasn’t wearing any makeup, so her natural skin tone just glowed. Small cheeks but wide eyes. 

Both of us were wearing the Aisaihashi High uniform. Our school wanted to be a modern school, like somewhere in Europe, so both genders wore a deep navy blue blazer with a white buttoned shirt. Our ties signified what year we belonged to. Second-years wore a maroon tie. The worst colour. First-years wore red, and third-years wore purple.

I think our school is coveted? I’m not really sure, to be honest. I got in because I live near it, so there was a higher priority for applications like mine. Otherwise, I would’ve gone somewhere else. Well, duh. Either way, both of us got some looks from strangers of all ages. This nation seems to have ‘education fever’. A sick term for people who value education over every little thing. I’m obviously of the opinion that you should be doing well in school, but it certainly isn’t an end all, be all if you flunk.

Both of us sat that, staring into the windows. But all I could see was the reflection of myself. Look at him. That’s me. I don’t know whether that’s like an analogy of something. I can’t see the outside because all I see is my reflection. Well, it is. I made it a metaphor. Sayako seemed to be staring at two other high school girls, dancing around. Then she went on her phone, immediately to go on TikTok. Astounding.

 Mundane living is mundane living. 

It had been a few minutes since words were traded. I kind of just shrugged after she said ‘I know how to say something’. Whatever, that means. I do, obviously, know what it means. I just refuse to internalize the fact that I might actually be a smooth talker. Which is not true.

I finished my matcha green boba tea. Yes. I don’t care that I’m ‘different’. I think it’s weird to not drink matcha. That’s how I like my tea. Sayako seemed the opposite. She was still drinking her strawberry boba tea. A bit sweet, maybe? Either way, both of us were just chilling on our phones. Sitting down letting time run past us.

It was a few minutes past 5. Come to think of it, this could be like an after-school date, no? Well, yeah it could be, but I also just don’t care. Half of that was in a sketchy area. Not really great material for a date. Sorry, Sayako. I can mentally flex to myself now, I suppose. 

Sayako spoke.

“Honzo, you heading out? You’re standing up, now.”

“Yeah. I need to go home by 5:30, and I think I’m probably not going to make it.” 

I made a quick excuse, so I can return back to my recluse lifestyle. I am so tired. Visiting a memorial, finding out even more about Minoru’s life, seeing the factories, just everything is an overload. My head is heavy with the world around me.

“I see then, Honzo. Thanks for coming with me!”

Sayako gave a big smile. I couldn’t tell if it was a smile that was shielding the fact she wanted to say or just a big genuine grin. It was a mixture of both, if I was guessing. 

“See you tomorrow! Hanzo-kuun!” Why did she become ditzy?

Next, she hugged my front. It was very awkward for me. I just put my right arm over her back. I think that’s a good enough exchange, I think. Then she looked up and smiled. What a weirdo. A cute one, I suppose.

I waved goodbye. I wanted to turn my back toward her, but instead, I looked back. She was still looking at me, with a somewhat dejected look. Maybe I do actually matter to people? Our eyes inevitably made contact. Suddenly, she gave a massive beam and waved erratically. I say erratically, it was almost like a choreographed wave come to think of it. Well, I did the same thing.

Home time.

0