Chapter 33 – The Blossoming
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were some parallels to last Friday. I sat in the exact same position, and so did Minoru-san. Except for one thing. Minetaka-sensei was standing.

He was slightly furious.

And the anger wasn’t directed at Minoru-san, either. His face may not seem stern, but his body language portrayed the atmosphere of a police officer. Why am I involved? I wasn’t even directly involved, just a minor witness. Easily forgettable.

“Minoru-san. I had heard what happened on Monday. I understand that you felt the need or compelled to do what you did. Some people, despite living in Nagoya, really say some stupid words. I’m sorry, that’s an understatement. Some students are flat-out racist.”

Minoru-san stood up.

“What did you want me to do?”

Sensei spoke, with a firm passionate voice.

“I don’t know what I want you to do. But what I do know is that you are now getting watched by every teacher nearby. Every teaching assistant. You may, on paper, got a lesser punishment than that idiot, but for the next few months, the slightest infraction of the rules will get you. One small breach and you are gone. Minoru, please listen to me. You are an honest talent. It’s clear to everyone, that you can reach certain heights. Please just think.”

Minoru just seemed too disinterested in it all. It seemed just so self-righteous, so smug to say these things. Is this a saviour complex? But I do agree with Minetaka, I guess.

Next, he turned towards me.

“Honzo. I heard you were there. Why did you not stop it?”

Hold on? What? I think I’m going to have to argue a little.

“I’m just a student?” I said. “It should be your colleague who just stood there like nothing was escalating.”

A few arguments over the school book came. Specifically, over student values and trying to make a better school community. We were arguing about whether I should've done something. Minoru was on my side, and said, “What was Honzo really meant to do?”

It became a mess. No insults were thrown, but it was certainly aggressive. This begged the question.

“Minetaka-sensei. What is your plan for Friday?” Then I came up with a perfect solution.

In a clear and distinct speech, I said “If you want Minoru to improve his behaviour, why not make him join the new Culture Club, headed by Tateishi-sensei? It’s all about learning cultures around the world, but it’s also about helping out the wider community. Last Sunday, we went to a community hall to teach Japanese to new immigrants. Surely, that’s a good way to improve his behaviour instead of preaching to him? And also, if you still want to overlook us, you can join Tateishi-sensei as a secondary advisor. The soccer team only meets up on Tuesday for training, so why not do that?”

I can’t believe I said that. And it might have worked. Minoru looked like he was considering that whilst the Minetaur calmed his face and started to ponder it. Next, he spoke in a defining moment.

“Alright, Honzo. You raise an interesting proposition. If Minoru agrees, we won’t have a Friday meeting in the future. I’ve only realized it, but I should’ve referred you both to a counsellor. It was not right for me to attempt to help you guys ‘fix yourself’ even if I never explicitly said that. I’ll probably join this new club too.”

Minoru stood up. After all the tension and weird random logic puzzles, trying to discern each other's motives, he decided.

“I agree. I’ll join this Culture Club.”

One impromptu idea might have saved Minoru. I honestly think he would’ve been kicked out in a few weeks.

“Good to hear. Sorry for being a bit aggressive to you both. I really just want you two to succeed.”

They seemed empty, but I knew he was being genuine. I hope Minoru got it too.

The bell rang. Luckily for all three of us, there were no people who came to our class early.

Next class, Japanese language.

~~~

From one emotionally charged atmosphere to another, Japanese language. Clearly, so many tears fall when we learn about… our language? Not really.

It was a strange transition, but I finally adjusted. Or at least my outward appearance. Inside, it’s an understatement to say I’m undergoing some slight emotional turmoil. Everyone else in our class? Living life. There’s a little difference.

The classroom is finally full again. Minoru-san was in his normal seat, next to the first door. Top right corner. Everyone’s favourite star player. Or at least, Year 2. And as expected, his reception was rather joyous. The girls next to him were practically screaming at first. Minoru could switch, actually. I guess he’s similar in that regard. He’s really outgoing. Despite my previous experiences, I never ever forgot that. Typical handsome boy. He’s just making jokes and everyone is laughing.

If I was him, I would have put my head down, all lowkey, not trying to gain attention. Especially, since from what the Minetaur was saying, due to the fact that the teachers seem to be observing him. Living life dangerously, I suppose.

“Honzo! Do the work as expected of a proper seatmate and help me! Pretty please!” The sudden posh Saeka returned to her normal self.

Why did she speak like that? Seems odd.

I said “Drop the rich princess act. Pretty please!” in a rather similar manner to her. Saeka did not receive it as well as Minoru-san’s return.

“Maybe I will… if you do your work?”, she said in a rather sardonic manner. She might seriously be the most sarcastic person alive.

As a response, I gave a hearty sigh and decided to carry on with the work.

You never notice how big this class is. All one can see is deep blue blazers. As if a sky full of clouds. An ocean, perhaps? The sun didn’t shine directly on our class, but it was still annoying. The brightness intensity was as if full brightness on your phone was pitch black. Is that a weird metaphor? I suppose so, but it really was like that. Every time I moved my eyes, I would see an afterimage of the entire thing.

Our Japanese language teacher was droning on. I don’t know how Saeka expects me to do the work?

After a significant chunk of time passed, it was nearly 2:50. I finally did it. Saeka, however, was done ten minutes ago. She kept staring at me, making weird comments. Go annoy someone else! Here’s a sample.

“Imagine if you had glasses, Honzo?” She said rather teasingly.

“Yuko-sensei said that the word order in Japanese is the most common in the world and shares it with Korean and Hindi, but why can’t it be the same in English? It would make English class much easier!” Saeka said with such frankness, that it really did catch me off guard.

And also, sadly Saeka, I think language is not invented by one person, it just happens to evolve into what it is. And it’s not like Japanese is always said in that order, it’s just preferred. But I couldn’t be bothered to tell her. I hope she gained telepathy at that moment.

Also, a language is more than just word order. I think?

Class dismissed. The bell rang. Cue the long walk. Actually… who am I going to walk with? Well, Saeka had a few suggestions. I still don’t have a stable ‘walking group’ sadly. Only Yusuke and maybe Sayako have been consistent members.

Saeka said, “Why don’t you walk with Sayako?”

“I mean I do,” I said.

In a rather annoyed tone, Saeka’s words were “No, you idiot, I mean why don’t you walk alone together for today?”

“That’s harsh. But okay, I guess I will then.” Eh. I’ll just roll with it. Saeka raised her eyebrows towards something behind me.

To my surprise, Sayako was the ‘something’ behind me, the entire time. I just turned around and my heart rate must’ve approached potential cardiac arrest levels.

“Boo!” Sayako jokingly said.

And as I gave a quick facepalm, well more like forehead palm, Sayako said “Well, let’s walk then.” I realized that Yusuke would not join me as he had already told me earlier in the day that he’d got a dentist appointment after school. Nor do I have any strength or courage to go to Class C to ask Nishi-chan whether she’d like to walk home. I hope I’ll just bump into her outside my house. It has happened a few times.

“Sure, Sayako.”

And off we both went.

0