CHAPTER 8 – AN INCH FROM DEATH
192 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The beam fired. A large red beam engulfed one side of the cave and lit the other side in a bright red hue, the rocks that were engulfed by the beam immediately vapourized and a large indent was left in the cave walls.

 

Higgle laughed maniacally pleased at the dust and debris left behind by his attack. Despite the hearty laughing it was obvious by the undertone panting that Higgle was drained. 

 

Higgle’s laughing was cut short when from the smoke and debris a demonic scally hand grabbed his face. 

 

Around Bliss the shards of his scattered spatial shield could be seen. Bliss had tried to reduce the force of the blast with his space manipulation shield however not even that was enough. Bliss using the borrowed time transformed into his draconic form. 

 

Despite this, the sheer power from the blast still took a toll on Bliss’s dragoon body leaving him with the charred appearance he had now.

 

His increased defense and dragon-like skin in this form might be the only reason Bliss was still standing despite the massive burns all over his body. 

 

Bliss filled with rage let out a sharp roar as he sliced Higgle in half in a fit of rage.

 

[Hp: 20/3000]

 

Bliss glanced at his Health Points and realized he was only an inch from death.

 

Greg, who had thought that the fight would be over after Higgle’s blast, was stunned by the turn of events.

 

The Dungeon Boss had finally shown his true colors. It was more like a demon than anything else.

 

The dungeon Boss’s deep yellow eyes were now glowing with a bright yellow hue while his body had a chard black scally look. His shoulders, chest and pelvic area was now covered in a thick bone like casing that gave him an edgy look. The strangest of all was the thick tail with a bone-like arrow tip at its end. 

 

Greg after seeing his party members dead finally shook from his stupor and lifted his sword high.

 

“Berserk mode activate!”

 

Normally Greg did not like using his trump card because he would hardly be able to tell friend from foe in this form. However since all his teammates were gone he did not have much to lose using his skill.

 

Greg’s muscles began to expand and his skin took on a red hue. His Berserk mode worked by flooding his body with oxygen and overclocking his heart and brain. 

The drawback was that he could not maintain this heightened form for more than four minutes without his body completely deteriorating. In fact each time he used this form he would lose a level.

 

Greg, who had grown a few inches bigger, sprinted forward and swung his sword. Bliss, knowing that he was in his transformed state, figured that Greg could not have gotten much stronger than himself so he parried the attack.

 

Once again like at the start of the battle Bliss was stunned by the power behind each of Greg's strikes. Bliss was pushed back half a meter after the first strike.

 

Bliss adjusted his strength to better parry the attacks and try to return his own.

 

Although subtle it could be seen that as the two monsters clashed the cave shook and Bliss nine out of ten times was the one who was pushed back ever so slightly.

 

Bliss tried his best but he was already out of mana from when he created the spatial shield and not to mention skill points that were consumed by his prolonged use of ‘Self assurance’. 

 

If this was a battle of pure strength and speed they would have been relatively even, however the difference in skills with a sword seem to be the deciding factor that was pushing Bliss to the edge.

 

Bliss was getting nervous. After four minutes of continuous sword attacks and counters he was the one whose back was against the wall.

 

Not to mention that the adventure for some reason in these last few moments had upped his attack speed and power leaving him no room to counter.

 

Greg raised his thick sword and with a ferocious force swang downward. Bliss blocked with his blade but the force was powerful enough to shatter the bones in his forearms. 

 

“Aaarg!”

Bliss roared out of pain and looked as his sword flew out of his broken hands.

 

Even more daunting Bliss felt the cave wall at his back and knew this was the end. The giant sword was already hanging over his head and ready to cleave him in half, he had nowhere left to retreat nor his sword in hand to parry. 

 

Just when Bliss thought it was the end, the opponent's sword stopped and Greg coughed up a mouth full of blood. 

 

Greg’s knees gave out and he collapsed under the weight of his own sword.

 

“Damn it! This Godforsaken body really gave out at the worst possible time!”

 

Bliss, who was shocked at the site, looked down at Greg’s body with a heavy heart.

 

He was a very talented opponent and if he could have held out for just another second or two he would be the one running his sword through Bliss. 

 

[Human Higgle has been slain +1020 exp]

[First kill human kill +750 exp]

[Human Greg has been slain +1500 exp]

[Congratulations the Dungeon has been successfully defended. + 1000 exp]

 

[Skill - Skill Culprit has been activated +2 skills]

 

Bliss was forgetting about his injured body and was enjoying the barrage of notifications that rushed him all at once.

 

That was until he realized something strange with the notifications. He had only received experience points for two kills which meant that one party member was still alive.

 

Bliss looked around and saw the female of the adventurer’s party still laying on the cavern floor with a bright green glow emitting from her eyes.

 

Bliss hair stood on end feeling something off in the air. 

 

15