CHAPTER 14 – A CONGRESS OF BABOONS
167 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The guildmaster gulped as his pension and gratuities were now on the line. His palms felt wet from his own sweating and even his voice gained a stutter. He hated having to deal with this lot the most. 

 

“How dare you try to mask your incompetence with your indolence?” 

 

There it was the gold standard of double backhanded disrespect by nobles. The guildmaster sighed at the disrespect by a youth several years younger than him and even several tiers weaker. 

 

But social standings were social standings and in truth he deserved some of this. 

 

“I say we send an elite group to farm that dungeon until it reverts back to its old ways!”

Another noble, this one a little older but several times fatter than the last, spoke while slamming his hand down on his desk. 

 

“That could be even worse, killing the Dungeon Boss too many times could destabilize the entire dungeon making it collapse, then we would all lose the golden goose.”

 

The guildmaster despite his nervous state had to interrupt and be the voice of logic. 

 

“Like you have any right to speak now, it’s because of you seven adventures are dead. 

 

How dare you keep something like this overnight?

 

Have you no love nor compassion for those in your charge?”

 

The guildmaster rolled his eyes internally at the noble who spoke. 

Sure he spoke a good game but he was one of the main suspects who wanted to usurp the guildmaster’s position for the past few years. 

 

If he ever got his way this dungeon would have been sold out to the miners ages ago. 

 

“I do, but some matters are better dealt with after a full night's consideration.”

 

The council rolled their eyes in disgust. 

 

“Indecisiveness”

 

The one to speak was another sider of the usurpers. 

 

“I say we fire this imbecile while we can and send miners to the dungeon to clean it.

 

That solves all the problems.”

 

 The last to speak was the highest ranked among the nobles he was the Viscount Lander. 

 

Hearing these words from the highest ranked noble the guildmaster started to sweat bullets. 

 

“Now, now Viscount Lander, this little dungeon has served us loyally for the past few decades.

 

Who are we to turn our backs on such an opportunity now?”

 

The viscount raised his eyebrow a little confused as to where his second was going.

 

“You heard the reports. 

 

Organized attacks, well planned out traps and even a small rank structure.

 

That sounds like an army to me.”

 

The viscount eyes widened as he realized where is second in command was heading,

 

“What if we could use a dungeon as a training tool for our armies?”

 

The viscount rubbed his chin realizing the pros of such a method. Afterall the few towns only had a handful of elite soldiers most of whom were currently being used as bodyguards. 

 

If they could train up the few full time army members they had with real combat then their strength and prestige would raise a few folds. 

 

The viscount gulped realizing the benefits of an army that was well versed in battle tactics.

 

“But what about the possibility of casualties?”

 

“Irrelevant, they are just a wing of our peasant armies. If they die then death is death.”

 

Lander nodded realizing this was just a means to an end to get rid of the dungeon in a manner that was beneficial to all parties. 

 

The guildmaster could continue being guildmaster until his retirement in a month or so.

A section of the army could train while gaining a few coins from the dungeon and the dungeon would be decommissioned by the end of it all and every member of the council would get a final payout thanks to the dungeon hearts. 

 

The viscount nodded in understanding. 

 

“Very well, going forward the dungeon will be recognized as a silver ranked dungeon. 

 

In two weeks time we will gather two sections of soldiers to train inside the dungeon until it has been conquered.”

 

The guildmaster was a little disheartened by these words. Afterall he knew this dungeon was how the majority of the villagers made their living. Although they did not directly descend into the dungeon, the parts from the monster helped fuel their economies and the presence of the adventurers meant a steady flow of visitors to spend money.

 

But with the dungeon now being destined to be conquered wouldn’t that mean that many of the villagers were destined to starve this winter?

 

He looked down at his hands feeling the burden of being a failure of a guildmaster who was unable to protect his village from the threats within. 

 

The guildmaster felt a tear trying to escape and rubbed his eye trying to keep in his emotions. 

 

“Guildmaster Roku, you are to inform the adventurers of this upgrade in the dungeon’s ranking with immediate effect. 

 

You are hereby dismissed!”

 

With those words final orders from the viscount the council meeting was adjourned.  

 

12