CHAPTER 40 – A MEETING FOR THE FUTURE
93 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After successfully fending off the relentless invaders, the three senior demons convened in a secluded chamber deep within the labyrinthine depths of their demonic dungeon. The atmosphere was charged with a peculiar blend of triumph and tension, a subtle acknowledgment that the weight of their responsibilities rested heavily upon their shoulders.

 

“Atrox! You have to taste it!” 

 

Slaygon exclaimed with a fervor that bordered on religious ecstasy, his crimson eyes ablaze with the remnants of a euphoria only a Greater Phantom of Trepidation could evoke.

 

“It was a phantom the likes of which have never existed!”

 

Slaygor chimed in, his voice a rich, resonant rumble that reverberated through the chamber.

 

The two brothers exchanged a knowing look, savoring the rare taste of newfound power. Their recent experiences had breathed life into their centuries-old existence, injecting a glimmer of hope into their ancient hearts.

 

However, Atrox, the most contemplative and arguably the most skeptical of the trio, was quick to steer the conversation back to its intended course.

 

“You two are getting distracted!”

 

Atrox's tone bore the weight of responsibility, a gentle but insistent reminder of their solemn duty. 

 

“We have a duty to maintain! 


The Last Demon Lord entrusted us to keep the demon race alive on earth until his return.”

 

"We've done our part, Atrox," 

 

Slaygor replied, his voice now tinged with a blend of frustration and indignation. 

 

"We survived by any means necessary. We ate monsters, bugs; some of them out there even ate each other. It's not a memory I'm particularly fond of."

 

Slaygon's memories echoed his brother's sentiments, and for a moment, they found themselves haunted by the bleakness of their past. But as their thoughts drifted to recent events, a sense of optimism began to take root within them.

 

"But now," 

 

Slaygon interjected, his voice tinged with a note of hope, 

 

"a new Demon Lord has been born. We've passed our mission."

 

The statement hung in the air, fragile and uncertain, like a flickering candle in the face of a raging storm. The trio exchanged glances, their expressions a medley of belief and doubt. It was a transition they were struggling to embrace.

 

Atrox, however, remained steadfast in his reservations. He had not forgotten the presence of the Last Demon Lord, a presence that had loomed with unparalleled authority, enough to quell even the mightiest demons with its sheer force. In comparison, Bliss fell short, casting doubt upon his true potential as a Demon Lord.

 

"You two might have forgotten due to time," Atrox began, his voice laced with both concern and conviction, "but I remember our Lord. And Bliss is nowhere near his stature. Not even within the same realm."

Their expressions grew contemplative, their doubts taking root like insidious weeds. The Last Demon Lord had been an embodiment of dread and reverence, an entity whose mere presence commanded unwavering allegiance.

"We prayed for many years for a new Demon Lord," 

 

Slaygor reminded them, his voice resonating with gratitude for the hope that had been rekindled.

 

"And now our god, Morning Star, has brought him to us. How could we doubt him now?"

 

It was a poignant reminder of the role they had played, the prayers they had whispered through the ages, and the lifeline that Morning Star had seemingly cast their way. Doubt began to loosen its grip, replaced by a fragile sense of trust.

 

Slaygon concurred, eager to emphasize Bliss's contributions and their indebtedness to him. 

 

"He is just very young. Just like all the Demon Lords before him, he will grow rapidly and then bring up the demon race, as has been promised by our god, Morning Star."

 

Atrox’s apprehension began to waver. Afterall, up until now he too was dependent on Bliss but he never wanted to go as far as to name him Demon Lord. 

 

Though the arguments began to sway them toward acceptance, Atrox remained hesitant. The magnitude of what they were considering weighed heavily upon him, for he was the mightiest among the senior demons, and by the customary laws of succession, he was the closest to becoming the next Demon Lord. 

 

Their discussions had shifted his focus from ascension to survival, but he had never truly relinquished his aspirations.

 

"I say we give him the Demon Lord's test," 

 

Atrox proposed, his voice a blend of pragmatism and compassion. 

 

"If he fails, we offer him a Demon's Death, and if he passes, we bestow upon him the artifacts and secrets that the Demon Lord has entrusted us with."

 

Slaygor and Slaygon couldn’t argue with Atrox’s logic. Afterall, both resulted in a good outcome for Bliss.

 

A Demon's Death, a solemn and revered rite among demons, would elevate Bliss to a sacred status. Consumed by Morning Star's breath and united with him, it was the ultimate honor, albeit one that came at the cost of temporary existence. However, it was believed that Morning Star would reincarnate the departed soul into a more talented vessel after a hundred years.

 

The demons who had lifespans spanning hundreds of years felt this was a small price to pay and all considered it an equal trade. 

 

It was a pity that Bliss might not feel the same. 

 

As the trio considered the proposition, Slaygor couldn't help but express his confidence in Bliss's potential.

 

"But, the test of a Demon Lord... He is far too weak to survive it as it is now."

 

Atrox and Slaygon both nodded in agreement to Slaygor’s words.

 

“Then we will give him one cycle. However strong he is, by then we will administer the test.”

 

A collective consensus formed, a delicate agreement that balanced doubt with hope and caution with compassion. The future of the demon race hung in the balance, and their decisions would chart the course of their existence.

 

"Now," 

 

Atrox redirected their focus to the remaining matters at hand, his tone steady, 

 

"for the next matter: training the children."

 

Meanwhile Bliss, who sat in his cavern, looked at the three senior demons through the dungeons’ crystal ball and after hearing the conversation between them began to sweat nervously. 

 

After seeing both of the Slay Demons fight he had a fair understanding of their prowess and knew he was no match. 

 

If he remembered correctly Atrox was stronger than both of them combined during his prime. If the three of them conspired against him, he truly did not stand a chance. 

 

The only light at the end of the tunnel was that Bliss, who was a master at reading people, did not get a sense of ill will from any of the senior demons. 

 

Despite his contemplations, Bliss was being assaulted by a series of notifications. 

[Mandatory Mission Accepted “Trial of the Demon Lord”

 

Pass the Demon Lord’s Test - Failure: Death. Reward: Mature by one stage.]

[Mandatory Mission Accepted “Preparing for the Demon Lord’s Test

 

Gain 10 Levels in 31 days. Failure:Subsequent Death by “Trial of the Demon Lord”. Pass +1 rank to a random skill]

[Optional Quest - Accept the Demon Lord’s Inheritance

 

Rewards: Unknown]

5