7. Meeting Alyssa
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Even though everyone was scared and nervous around him, the chief was so impressed with Gerig's heroism that he quickly accepted him into the city's collective. What he had done for Marrec was no small feat, especially since he had to make the sacrifice to never return home now that he knew the location of the Dwarven kingdom. Marrec was still forced to pay a fine for bringing a grump into the kingdom but he was more than happy to. The little guy didn't have to worry about the roof anyway as Gerig said he would have no trouble patching it up. He didn't even need a latter to see what he was doing. He had brought his own tools and would have no problem fixing every hole in the roof in a matter of only a few days.

     Later that night, Gerig parked his cart in a grassy field beside that was near Marrec's house and beside his massive crop fields. It turns out Marrec was a farmer himself, something that never seemed to come up during their conversations on the road. Gerig set up his cart into what was like a makeshift bed, something he could relax into and get some sleep. Turns out it wasn't as comfortable as he first thought it might be and eventually settled for sleeping on the ground like he had the last several days. When trying to get some shuteye, Gerig would now and then spot several dwarfs in various houses looking at him through their windows. It was something Gerig knew he would eventually have to get used to as he then watched the same drapes quickly close up and cover the windows that were staring at him as he finally alone to sleep. He was only able to snooze for a short time until he was interrupted again.

     "Excuse me..." A voice softly started, "I thought you might like to have another blanket. It gets rather cold around here at night." 

     Gerig opened his eyes and sat up from where he was lying down to realize that it wasn't a dwarf that was talking to him. It was a radiant looking woman that was only a foot shorter than him. Gerig obviously figured it that it had to be one of the other three grumps that Marrec had referred to.

     "Thank you." Gerig said with a smile, never taking his eyes off her. She was an exquisite lady that had petite shoulders and a beautiful smile that made her approach seem warm and friendly.

     "I also thought you might like something to eat." She said, as she offered him a small bowl.

     Gerig stood up to take the blanket and the bowl of food from her.

     "Thank you very much." he said nervously, as he tried to be as courteous as possible. "My name is Gerig."

     "So I've heard." She said with a giggle. "I'm Alyssa."

     "It's nice to meet you." Gerig said, trying to make conversation, "How long have you been living here?"

     "My whole life." Alyssa answered.

     There was an awkward silence after that. Alyssa broke it a few seconds later.

     "I was born here," She continued, "I was hoping to introduce you to my parents. It's been over twenty-six years since they have seen anyone else that wasn't a dwarf. Maybe you could drop by tomorrow for lunch?"

     Gerig paused for a moment to digest the request but his answer was pretty obvious. "Of course, I'd love to."

     "Wonderful." Alyssa replied with a warm smile. "I am sure they will enjoy meeting you. Our house isn't too hard to find. It's the large house in the center of the town you assumed was a castle."

     "How did you know I thought it was a castle?" Gerig asked as he felt a little embarrassed.

     "Word travels fast around this town, Gerig." Alyssa replied. "I would recommend that you watch what you say at least for the next week or two until the others are little more comfortable having you around."

     "Thanks, I'll do that." Gerig said, appreciative of her advice. Alyssa said goodbye and went on her way back to the house.

     Gerig watched her leave and couldn't help but stare at the lady and the flowing blonde hair that fell all the way down to her hips. Gerig sat down and began to eat the food that was delivered to him only to notice that the drapes were partly open in a few houses again as those nosy dwarfs must have watched the full exchange between him and Alyssa. He didn't seem to care as he quickly finished eating and laid back down on the ground. He was hoping to get some sleep before the sun came back up, not know what exactly was going to happen to him now. He drifted off to sleep, knowing full well that this very well might be the very place where he would spend the rest of his natural life, and after the first day he had a good feeling about it.

1