Chapter 24
130 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days passed much as they had done, both Aellisia and Zilia grew closer to one another now that they could communicate properly instead of the stilted basic language they had exchanged before. They encountered nothing of note and when Zilia queried this Aellisia explained that Eahlswith led them carefully past any areas that may belong to other monsters, and her aura was enough to scare away anything of a lesser bloodline that may choose to attack them. Eahlswith had explained this to Aellisia earlier in their journey together, that only monsters that were near the Heart were usually foolish enough to attack without question, but they were usually the strongest examples of their kin in the forest as well. But each day that passed only meant that they were that much closer to finally leaving the place that had been home for Aellisia since the first day that she had awoken in that cold dead place. As they traveled Aellisia explored her new capabilities whenever they had an opportunity to stop for a while, although much was still locked within her mind, the few things that she had been able to recall were mere expansions of the unconscious abilities that she had developed since she had stayed with Eahlswith that first night. What this meant for her in practical terms was that now she had learned to associate the memories that were sealed with the actions she was undertaking thus unlocking fragments of them and a deeper understanding of how to perform the actions that she remembered. Much was still hidden, and she found that trying to remember and unlock new skills that she had not attempted before her awakening in that strange soul space she found herself in previously was notoriously hard to understand and unlock. Instead, it seemed that many of the skills she had been using beforehand were the ones that she had the most success in further unlocking and understanding. As such her knowledge of the spear, tailoring, camping, and basic survival construction expanded dramatically, whereas her ability to utilise the mana inside her remained stubborn in its efforts to be understood. It was a frustrating result for Aellisia, who had hoped that at last, she would remember faster than she had before, but she had noted that at the least the almost ceaseless nightmares and fragmented whispers that had haunted her unconscious mind had all but ceased. Her disposition as a result had improved somewhat, a fact that Eahlswith had commented on the morning after her impromptu training session.

And so it was that a few more days passed, Zilia was excited to finally be close to her home and regaled Aellisia and Eahlswith with tales of the town, and all the things that they would see and be able to experience. Eahlswith for her part had become more pensive and withdrawn as they got closer to the human town, seemingly on edge at every snap of a twig or the movements of other animals. Eventually, the night before they entered the part of the forest that Eahlswith and her former pack had called home Aellisia had sat next to her a short distance from the campfire. For a while they both were silent, before Aellisia spoke to her, her voice low and calm.
"Tell me Eahl, what I can do to help. I know you worry about the Humans, but I'll be right there beside you, and I promise that nothing will happen to you as long as I live."
Eahlswith, who had been sitting proud and alert seemed to slump slightly at her words, and let out a low huff.
'I understand your words, and I am appreciative of them. But it is not fear that I feel, but rather that I am reminded more and more of the events of the past as we draw closer to their den.'
Aellisia said nothing as she could sense that her friend wasn't finished speaking, so she gave her the time she needed to gather her thoughts.
'There were so many of them that day. The weapons they used against us were fierce and unforgiving, and among them were those of their kind that wielded strange forces like fire and air against us. They were merciless and we were too few to contend with their wickedness, my duty to the pack demanded that I see to the care of our young and weak, but even they were not spared death that day.'
Eahlswith's tone was filled with remembered pain, and Aellisia could sense that within her friend the memory of that day was like a wound that had never healed. She felt her own heart hurting as the emotions roiled between their bond and her eyes stung with unshed tears for the pain that her friend was feeling.
'I give you my word my friend, I shall not attack them indiscriminately when we meet the humans. But I cannot promise that should I encounter one of those responsible that I will hesitate to strike them down.'
A tinge of anger coloured Eahlswith's words as she finished speaking and Aellisia pensively stared off into the forest, considering what to say carefully.
"I would not deny you your vengeance Eahl, you know that, but based upon what Zilia has said there are many many humans in this town, and if you attack one then they will all seek to cut you down, and I do not wish to see you die at their hands."
For a moment silence reigned as Aellisia took a breath before continuing.
"Please let me or Zilia deal with them. From what I understand from both you and Zilia these humans are much like the greenskins that we fled from before, kill one and they will all come for us. If we must fight them, then let me aid you, let us turn it into a hunt and be smart about the situation, it is not in your nature to fight like the owlbear and rampage."
Aellisia could feel her friend's anger cool at her words and could feel her gaze fixed upon her as she finished speaking.
"Instead we will be what we have always been together, we will be the hunters, and your enemies the prey."

When they turned in that night Aellisia was troubled by thoughts of her friend and the pain she was feeling, the anger she was holding within her and it did not escape Zilia's notice. As they began their journey anew the next morning Zilia had held her tongue until they started their long march for the day before she spoke.
"What's bothering you both so much? You've both been quiet and withdrawn since you spoke last night."
Aellisia frowned slightly in surprise, she had not realised that the human woman had become so adept at picking up on either her or Eahlswith's mood.
"I'm worried that Eahl might attack on sight if she sees one of those members of your guild that was responsible for the death of her former pack."
Sighing slightly Aellisia watched as a flash of concern danced across Zilia's face.
"Truthfully I don't blame her, I can feel the pain inside her, the anger and the grief. I'm not sure that if I went through something similar that I wouldn't want to kill those responsible either, but a bigger part of me is scared of what would happen next. If she kills one of them what next? These 'Guards' of your town, or other members of your guild would retaliate, and as powerful as Eahl is, there would be too many of them to fight and she would be cut down, and I can't let that happen."
Zilia pursed her lips as Aellisia finished speaking, the frustration in her tone evident. She waited a moment before speaking in a low tone to Aellisia, her words measured and careful.
"There might be a way for her to find the justice she seeks. It is by no means guaranteed, but if we can prove to the guild, and the church of the three that Eahlswith is sentient, that she isn't just a monster then they will be forced to act."
Aellisia stopped walking, her eyes widening in surprise before she spoke.
"How? And why have you said nothing before this?"
Zilia stopped beside her, a sad look on her face for a moment before responding.
"I have been thinking about this since you both told me what happened to her, and it might not even work. But there is a law, an absolute law that dates back to the founding of the three kingdoms after the war against the ancient empire, that was written at the demand of the victors."
Taking another breath before she continued Zilia fixed Aellisia with her stare.
"When the alliance of the free species won the liberation war one of the non-negotiable aspects of the peace treaty was that the slavery or hunting of any sentient and rational non-human species was illegal, and under the purview and guarantee of the churches should this agreement be breached those responsible were to be treated as traitors of the faith and held accountable."
Pausing once more, her voice was solemn as she spoke her next words.
"In most cases, this would mean death, but given that they were unaware of the fact that Eahlswith and her pack were both sentient and rational this would probably mean that those responsible would instead be imprisoned. It might not be what Eahlswith would want, but at least they would pay for the crime they committed."
Aellisia nodded and turned to face in the direction that Eahlswith was ahead of them in the forest.
"It might not be enough, but it is at least something that we can try, I just hope that she understands and lets us try."
Zilia sadly nodded and gently placed a hand on her shoulder.
"It might not even work, but I don't want to see her hurt either Aellisia, I don't want to see either of you hurt."
Giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze Zilia looked up into her eyes to convey her sincerity, and Aellisia flashed her a small smile in thanks, her spare hand coming up to rest on hers and squeeze it in return.

10