Chapter 87: Hannabal Island
422 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ben saw the island as they were approaching. The Navy battleship was disabled and their main Captain probably injured after their battle so he would not be moving any time soon.

From the distance, the rocky island emerged like a forgotten jewel. The island was surrounded by unique rocks. A cluster of small houses and buildings, seemed to have sprouted organically from the rocky terrain. A meandering pathway, a thin ribbon of cobblestone, wound its way through the village. The houses on either side stood shoulder to shoulder, their thatched roofs and wooden walls adorned with colorful blooms and climbing vines. A mountain could be seen in the backdrop of the village. Rising like an ancient titan from the heart of the island, its towering peak disappeared into the mist and clouds that enshrouded its upper reaches. From the heights, waterfalls cascaded down the cliffside, their silver threads could be seen from a distance.

“Beautiful,” Kaya said.

“It is a sight to be held off,” Marianne said.

“What island is this?” Alvida asked.

“I am not sure. The Grandline is a mysterious place where you can only rely on the Log Pose to navigate. Even going straight on the Grandline could get you somewhere else,” Mikita said.

“I think something interesting can be here,” Ben said.

“We can Vivi up here now,” Ben added.

“I am here,” Vivi said as she walked out of the Bridge stairs with Karoo.

“Perfect timing, the marines are gone for now,” Ben said.

“You did not…” Vivi said.

“No, they are alive for the most part,” Ben joked.

“Okay,” Vivi replied.

“Master, the island has a deep water dock which will allow us to dock in the port,” HQ said as he came out of the dining hall.

“Okay, who wants to go exploring for a bit?” Ben asked.

“Me,” Marianne volunteered.

“I would like to as well,” Vivi said.
“I should go as well, to make sure he does not do anything perverted,” Kaya said.

“I want to as well,” Mikita said.

“I can guard the ship with HQ and Nojiko. Honey seems to be resting my love,” Alvida said.

“Okay will Nojiko be fine with being here?” Ben asked.

“You can give her a special reward after if she is upset my love. She deserves it after all the training and fighting the dinosaur in Little Garden my love,” Alvida teased.

“You are right,” Ben replied. He smiled about the fun he will have with her for the quest.

“Master, I will assist Nojiko with the docking,” HQ said and she headed to the Bridge.

“You girls get ready if you are coming,” Ben said.

“We are ready,” Kaya said.

The ship approached the dock and parked up. Nojiko dropped the anchor and moved the bridge to allow the crew to exit the ship.

The village looked like a hub of activity and community. Locals bustled about, their figures casting elongated shadows in the fading sunlight. The scent of salt and sea mingled with the aromas of freshly cooked meals and wildflowers, creating a tapestry of scents that hung in the air. There were lanterns at each house and on the street corners.

“Okay girls, let's go,” Ben said. Mikita, Marianne, Kaya and Vivi exited the ship. Karoo had stayed behind with Honey, Nojiko, HQ and Alvida.

The group walked around the town. “Beautiful,” Mikita said.

“The atmosphere is good,” Vivi added.

“Yes it is, Ben, where are we going?” Kaya asked.

“We are heading towards a good restaurant,” Ben replied.

“Why?” Marianne questioned. Ben was holding her hand while they were walking. Mikita grabbed his arm.

“The food is good but this is Hannabal Island where there is a race for money,” Ben answered.

“Our funds are not drying out anytime soon Ben,” Kaya said.

“It's not the money we are after but the race itself,” Ben said.

“What's so special about the race?” Vivi asked.

“It's the pirate adventure and experience,” Ben joked.

Kaya sighed.

“But my country,” Vivi said.

“I have a feeling this race will help us out. Also the race is a few hours so we are not losing much time,” Ben said.

“We need to rest up as well,” Mikita said.

“Okay,” Vivi said.

“Don't be sad Vivi. He is a pervert but he is reliable and we will help you all out,” Kaya said.

They approached a bar. Ben opened the door and headed downstairs. The bar showed signs of fading paint and old ripped wanted posters. The creaking wooden floor could be heard. The air was a mixture of scents including spilled drinks, aged wood, and a lingering hint of cigarettes, The lighting was dim, with a warm and cozy ambiance.

Ben and the girls looked and saw a free table to the side of the bar. They all sat down. “What should we order?” Mikita asked.

“We should bring back some for the girls,” Kaya said.

“Yes we should,” Ben said.

“Does anyone have two 100 beli coins?” Ben asked.

“Yes, I have,” Vivi said as she reached into her bag and gave Ben the two coins.

“Thank you, I will pay you back,” Ben said.

“It's not necessary,” Vivi replied.

“We are friends,” Kaya said.

Mikita and Marianne nodded. Ben thought about how close Kaya and Vivi had gotten.

Ben walked to the bar with the two silver coins. The bar counter, worn smooth by years of elbows leaning against it, displayed patches of faded varnish and the scars of forgotten spills. He placed the two silver coins. “Heard there was a good way to make honey on Hannabal Island?” Ben said to the bartender. He was wearing a black shirt and black apron.

The bartender looked at Ben. He looked at the silver coins. “Most of you look like kids, you might want to walk away,” said the bartender.

“We are pirates and adventure is what we care for,” Ben said.

“It is dangerous and you don't want to risk your lives here,” the bartender said.

“We have bounties on our head, we are not afraid of danger,” Ben answered.

“I know I saw some of your posters,” the bartender said.

“However those two girls are not part of your crew,” he added, referring to Mikita and Marianne.

“They are now,” Ben replied. The bartender sighed.

“Okay, follow me,” the bartender said. Ben signaled to Vivi, Mikita, Marianne and Kaya to follow him.

They entered a room which led to a passage. “Straight through here,” the bartender said. The tunnel was old and had damp walls. It looked like an old mine shaft. There were wooden cross on the wall to support the ceiling.

“This will be an adventure,” Ben said.

“Yes it will be, it reminds me of the other tunnel passage we found,” Kaya said.

“You folks like adventure,” the bartender said.

“Yes we do,” Ben replied back.

The bartender smiled. “At the end of the tunnel show the two coins, they are the password,” he said.

“Thank you,” Ben said.

“Why did you become a pirate?” the bartender asked Ben.

“To become the Pirate King, and do cool stuff and help my friends,” Ben replied. The bartender smiled.
As they walked, Marianne clung on to Ben. Mikita had his other arms. Vivi and Kaya were walking right behind Ben. They had two lanterns for the group.

“It's dark,” Vivi said.

“Keep together,” Ben replied.

“I am,” Marianne replied.

“So am I,” Mikita added. This is nice Ben thought.

“This is adventure?” Vivi asked.

“Yes, the feeling of unknown is exciting,” Ben said.

“Its is,” Vivi replied and added, “However I keep thinking of my home.”

“Don't worry, we will save it,” Kaya said. Vivi smiled at her friend trying to reassure her.

“We will support our Captain,” Mikita said and Marianne nodded. Brn thought that they both were trying to destroy her home a day ago, how times change.

“I think I see something,” Kaya said.

As they reached the end of the passage, a man was seen guarding the door. Ben reached into his pocket and showed him the two coins.

“This is the password,” he said.

The man nodded. He crab walked backwards and opened the door. The group entered and saw a bright light. The bar had a perpetual sense of welcome which was a stark contrast to the previous bar. It was very well lit and a golden glow covered everything within.

“Wow,” Marianne said in shock.

“This was not what I was expecting,” Mikita said.

“The contrast is real,” Kaya said.

“It is,” Ben said. They walked and saw people drinking their drinks happily and smiling at each other. Ben walked out of the bar and into a large opening. There he saw a number of pirate flags attached to the wall. There was a lot of cheering. Ben looked up the vertical tunnel and saw more pirate flags. This place looked like someone had drilled a hole in the mountain,

“Incredible,” Vivi said.

“Hey babe,” a man said who had a pack of cards. Kaya, and Mikita glared back.

The man looked scared. “Are you not here for the bet?” the man stuttered.

Kaya and Vivi looked confused. “Don't tell me you are her for the race. You are risking your lives,” the man warned.

“Yes, we are entering the race,” Ben said.

“Well if you see below there are the two giants Bobby and Pogo entering and Arlong old rival Willy,” the old man said.

“Ben we might not want,” Vivi said with a bit of concern.

“What's the prize money?” Mikita asked.

“300,000 Beli, I think,” the man replied.

“Let's do it,” Mikita said.

“Captain was interested so I am in,” Marianne said.

“If the pervert has made his mind then I can't say no,” Kaya remarked and looked at Vivi and said, “Dont worry too much,” Kaya tried to assure.

Ben walked to the signing area and signed the document. “Money?” said a man with a big belly wearing a gold chain around his neck. He had a beautiful blonde woman in his lap.

“Here you go,” Ben said as he put the two coins on the table. The man reached under the table and threw an eternal log pose at Ben. Ben caught it. The eternal log pose read, “PARTIA.”

“Good luck,” the big belly man said.

“A Lot of pirates here we did not see many ships in the dock,” Kaya commented.

The big belly man looked up, “That is because they hid their ship. Wait, that big ship is yours? The marines could spot it,” the big belly man said in shock.

“It is one ship so it should be okay,” Mikita replied.

The big belly man sighed. “The race starts tomorrow,” he said.

“That is good,” Ben replied.

Ben was about to leave when the big belly man said, “Don't you want to place a bet?”

“Sure it will be on us,” Ben replied.

“Well that would be 350 times the higher wage,” the big belly man laughed.

“Who's the favorite?” Mikita asked.

“General Gasparde,” the big belly man replied.

“Okay,” Ben replied. He walked away. “Let's go and let the girls know of the news,” he added.

19