5.0 – An Elegant Execution
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even if she tried to hold her composure, Hikari knew it was all for nothing. She was terrified of the future.

 

The carriage, treading slowly through the cobbled road, was her prison and she was its prisoner.

 

Hikari could feel the fight leave her bones, her stomach twist in anxiety and worry.

 

If she didn’t do this right, she would bring shame to her family. If she made a mistake, she could alert a capture target of her existence. If she was too invisible, her father might be displeased. Truthfully, she didn’t know how he would react to what was happening today. Would he be angry that his young daughter was taken away without his permission? Would he ignore it, and ignore her as well? Hikari knew he wasn’t her biological father.

 

Nothing he said could ever truly hurt her, but...she thought it was just too sad.

 

Even if you remember the characterization of Duke Leopold Carmichael inside the manga, that was only one perspective. Hikari had no idea how he acted towards his friends, his business partners...his own flesh and blood.

 

And that was the issue. Could Hikari depend on that man as an ally, in this game of survival? Or would he be an enemy? Could he even be someone neutral to her? Neither caring if Renetia drew her last breath, or if she triumphed above the odds?

 

He could be both. He could be neither. She simply didn’t know.

 

It angered Hikari, and she welcomed this anger, because it led her away from her previous anxiety.

The manga known as “Lovely Poisonous Palace” was a sick place, she knew this, but...

Why was she expecting so much from a story where the main plot described the heroine’s escape from multiple crazed men?

 

The carriage halted. She got out, only to see the coachman widen his eyes. Oh, she thought. She wasn’t supposed to leave right away, she was supposed to wait until he opened the carriage door.

What to do, what to do...!

Deflect with anger. “You took too long. I’m to meet this empire’s prince, yet you cause me to arrive late.” she chastised in a level voice. It wasn’t intentional, but somehow, it made her sound extremely furious.

And she had no idea if she even was late. Butler Schmidt hadn't told her much.

Of course, on the inside, she was sincerely apologizing to the man.

 

And it worked!

 

A panicked look settled inside the eyes of the man, and he apologized with fervor. He even looked ready to bow. Hikari felt bad for him. Imagine having to bow to children throwing tantrums (even though I am one now), she thought.

 

The front of the luxurious Estate was strangely empty. Considering the warm welcome of Renetia’s mansion, Hikari knew something was up. Not one maid or butler stood ready to welcome her inside.

 

“Nevermind that. Take me to the Estate.”

 

It seemed the coachman understood how unorthodox this request was, because he spluttered and asked, “Me? But I’m just a simple coachman. I’m not fit to escort the Lady.”

 

Personally, Hikari doubted that. Yet she had a feeling that if she showed up inside the Mansion without an aide of any kind, rumors might emerge, and she would smear her house’s reputation just like that. It didn’t sit right with her.

 

Yes, she wanted to be booted out, but she couldn’t get thrown out that easily.

 

‘It’s the same with reality shows’, thought Hikari. ‘You always remember the guy who gets voted off first. Everyone always laughs at that person, and that guy is always insulted the most online.’

 

So she turned to him and said: “That’s alright. If any issue arises, I shall have a talk with whoever is in charge.” She assured him. He didn’t seem that assured. Hikari wouldn’t be either. If you were told such a thing by an eight year old, would you believe her?

 

So she was grateful when he followed her to the entrance. Still, there were no staff inside. Odd.

 

Hikari felt something was off. Way off. What house was this again?

 

“Which House is this?, ” she asked the coachman, who turned his head to her side. “This is the Mansion of Count Darby. If I remember correctly, his cousin, Florian, is the current Master of this house.”

 

Hm, thought Hikari. These names didn’t exist in the manga, so...they were likely NPCs. As long as she upheld herself in a graceful and polite manner, she should be fine. No matter what, her last line of defense was her identity as a Duke’s daughter. No matter how crazy people are, they can’t be openly cruel to her without political repercussions.

 

In this world, nobles were obsessed with maintaining power through identity. So long as she stood her ground, she’d be protected from harm.

 

Thinking these thoughts, the two travelers reached a large door. “This is the conference room,” he offered. Furrowing her brow, Hikari craned her neck in confusion.

 

How did he know?

 

The man laughed as he explained.

 

“I can tell you're confused. Don't worry. From the moment you entered this carriage, the selection has commenced.”

 

Hikari gasped. No...they were that meticulous? That made no sense. There was no need to be that observant. Even if it was the Princess Selection, her competitors were all children! In what world was this fair!

 

She narrowed her eyes at him.

 

He chuckled. “It's strange, isn't it? We were all told to conduct the first stage this way.”

 

Turning away to leave, he stopped when she asked: “What is your real name?” with barely contained anger. It wasn’t really his fault, but Hikari could care less. She had thought her knowledge of the manga to be invincible! And most of the time, it was. While she knew she had entered an event that didn’t exist in the book, she never realized how quickly the rug could be tugged away from underneath her feet...

 

Dazed and annoyed, she asked again, “What family do you hail from?” She needed information, answers, anything. It was necessary for her survival.

 

He turned to her fully, and said, “I am not a coachman, but a member of lower nobility. I’m a Baron, Julius Hessel.”

 

He looked at her, smile lost. “And then? What does the Little Miss mean to do with this information?” He challenged.

 

She looked him in the eye. Did he...seriously think she was going to punish him? She tried not to take offense to that.

 

She smoothed her skirt, and said: “No. I simply wanted to know who was brazen enough to look down on our Ducal house. Yet as I am saying this, I realize you did not do this of your own accord." Her voice conveyed guilt when she said, "I sincerely apologize for my harsh way of speaking.”

 

His eyes widened. He clutched his mouth in shock, before laughing a beautiful laugh.

 

“You are a very strange Young Lady,” he said. “But it is so refreshing. I hope you don’t lose right away.”

 

“That would be boring.”

 

With that, he left her in the hallway. Wait a minute, they had that whole conversation in front of the large oaken door. She hoped nobody heard them...

 

Hikari took a deep breath and stepped inside. Then, she was subjected to hundreds of small eyes staring at her. Talk about creepy! She saw several older women in the corner of the room. 

 

Calming herself, Hikari curtsied and said: “I am sorry for arriving late. I am Renetia, of House Carmichael.”

 

That was how she was supposed to talk, right? She heard a few snickers. Children were the worst...

 

“Well met, Lady Carmichael. We are pleased to have you here.”

 

Then, she was led to a round table where three other girls sat. Feeling shy, she turned her attention towards the old woman in front.

 

“As I was saying, we have begun the search for the 4th Prince Oswald’s bride-to-be.” A lot of girls started to squeal in happiness.

 

The old woman coughed. “I am his governess, the former Viscountess Tundra. Over the years, I have taught everything he knows. Alongside the King and Queen, I will have a say on which young girl will become this Empire's future Crown Princess.”

 

She looked over the vast crowd. “It will not be easy. Already, I have seen many causes to fail. You are lucky that this meeting does not constitute as a part of the Selection. If it was, 30 of you would have been sent home.”

 

This sent shock waves all around Hikari. Personally, she couldn’t care less, but she tried to seem bothered.

 

Still, she was surprised. The girls sitting next to her all burst crying! Was the seat of Crown Princess really that precious to them??

 

Hikari glanced at them. They were all very cute children, but in the end, they were just children. She doubted any of them were over the age of 6. Though she saw a few teenage girls, but most of the competitors looked about her age.

 

They were also incomparably loud! After the old woman excused herself, the room exploded into noisy chatter.

 

Hikari sighed. ‘Two weeks of this, and I’ll be free’, she thought.

 

She began to relax slightly. She was happy that no one would bother her.

 

Even then, she had no idea of the bloodbath that awaited her.

1