7.0 – Monsters Behind the Surface
90 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The handsome young man and the King of the Empire, Mithildis, were glaring at each other.

 

It was clear that the hatred between them ran deep. It was strange, however, to let a bunch of impressionable children witness this sight. Did they really not care? The kids might tell on them to their parents, you know? Maybe their bad relationship was well known. Either way, the Royal Palace was just bad hosts in general. Why did they have to watch this go down? The fact that poor Baron Hessel had to lend his house to these guys, and they waste their time like this instead...

 

In any case, from what Hikari had seen, this guy had to be a prince. He just had to. The mischievous smile, the complicated hairstyle, his total disdain for anyone else - it completely matched the average attitude of this Empire's Princes. He wasn't the rumored Crown Prince - the one that held a spot as a main character in the story. He couldn't be - he was supposed to be a child, still. He was the same age as the female lead.

 

This blue-haired guy was likely just one of the many 14 princes. He didn't appear in the Manga - meaning he either dies or moves away. Still, wondered Hikari, just who was the current Crown Prince then. 

 

He was beautiful enough to pass the ‘not-an-extra’ criteria, anyhow. And no one was crazy enough to look the King dead in the eye and challenge him like that, unless you knew he couldn’t touch you.

 

Hopefully these two would be so focused on themselves that they would forget about the rest of them, Hikari surmised. She turned towards the dejected Ms. Tundra with a polite smile. “Governess Tundra, are we allowed to venture back to our quarters?” and she made sure to keep her voice low. 

 

Couldn’t have those two main characters taking offense. She may be a Duke's daughter, but she is not inviting death to come over! Nodding to herself, Hikari was pleased with her decision.

 

Governess Tundra jolted upright, and stammered a response. “Yes, that would be appropriate. Girls, back to the Mansion! We must hurry,” and with that, the vast amount of maidservants and staff trudged back towards the Mansion.

 

They had originally traversed to this plain meadow field by carriages. Yet, due to the unforeseen arrival of the Mad King, they would need to walk back. Even though the distance was quite large. Why, you may ask? Because it was a national rule to always abide by the King's whims. And since he was a Mad King, well...

 

This much was nothing. Hikari knew he could get to insane heights of pettyness and in the story, he frequently abused his position to make life miserable for others. He was just a nasty piece of work.  

 

On the road, she was nudged painfully in the side.

 

She twisted her head to the side, only to see a small girl with dirty blonde hair and a lovely cornflower dress. Her droopy eyes shone with delight as she uttered, “Oh, my mistake.” before giggling.

 

'...I can't believe I'm being bullied by six-year olds. This is so lame...' Hikari felt like dying. 

 

Behind her was a girl with dark purple hair and an freckled ginger-haired girl.

 

They were giggling sweetly, like they weren’t all attempting to bully someone.

 

Hikari’s eyes blinked before she nodded. “Understandable, we all make mistakes. Good day.” and she walked ahead.

 

Then, the girl rushed ahead of her. At this point, they were the last people left of the group. The rest had moved on, and due to this group’s little prank, Hikari couldn’t see them anymore. She wanted to get as far away from the Royals as possible, but these girls were making it hard!

 

“H-hey! Don’t ignore us!”

 

Hikari’s anger manifested into a monotone voice, “How can I ignore someone I don't know?”

 

A silence stretched between them.

 

The blonde one’s face reddened in shame. Hikari didn’t know why, though. It was the truth - they really didn’t know each other. So why was she making such a fuss? The other girls seemed like they derived confidence from her. Now that she was confused, they were quiet and uncomfortable. That was all good and well, but Hikari didn’t care about six-year olds and their feelings. In the first place, she just wanted to go and nap! Now that the others were gone, she didn’t know which way to go.

 

All four of the girls just stared at each other, while Hikari stared at the sky in disbelief.

 

“Okay. I’m just going to leave now. Goodbye forever.” said Hikari, and made to continue, but was stopped by someone. A hand.

 

It was the ginger girl. Once hit with Hikari’s glance, she hiccuped nervously and said: “Um, I was told you were the most likely to become the Princess. Can you um, if you don’t mind... Please give us some advice!”

 

The purple-haired girl nodded. “T-that’s right, that’s right! It’s not fair to hoard the secrets by yourself!”

 

Hikari pinched her nose in disbelief.  On one hand, she should probably mince her words with these children. On the other...she didn’t feel like it. Their way of thinking grossed her out.

 

'Six-year olds asking for advice to snag an adult man's favor...Blergh. Yosh, you won't know it then, but I will save you from yourselves!'

 

Hikari answered their question truthfully. “I don’t have any secrets. And to be honest, if you’ve heard I’m most likely or whatever, it’s either a lie or the Palace made the decision in advance. Probably because I'm a Duke's daughter. But lineage doesn't mean everything. Count Prim's daughter, Eloise Prim, is lower in hierarchy than me, but her family is richer. Ultimately, the final call is with the King and the Governess. They can even decide to stop the selection if they feel like it. In the end, we just have to deal with what comes our way.”

Everytime someone mentioned Eloise Prim, people acted like they had eated a sour grape. Hikari understood it, though. That girl was just too perfect. It was likely very annoying to be compared to her. 

Those words shocked the girls. “No way, you must be lying!” exclaimed the blonde one. Hikari raised an eyebrow. “It’s the truth. Why would I lie? I have never even met this Prince guy. All I’ve done is be moderately polite. That’s it. If that’s all it takes to become a prince’s wife, then I feel bad for him.”

 

The blonde inched closer. “Then, you’re telling the truth? We should just...be nice?”

 

“Be nice. That means no outbursts, no temper tantrums, no spoiled behavior.”

 

The three girls ate it up like it was a whole new concept. Hikari felt vaguely bad for their servants.

 

“More importantly, why are you girls so interested in becoming the Prince’s bride?”asked Hikari. The three girls looked at each other before bursting into laughter.

 

“That was a funny joke!”

 

“Everyone wants to be his bride, he’s the Crown Prince!”

 

The ginger girl held up her hand. “Listen to this, I heard he has eyes like fresh-cut rubies and hair like winter snow. Isn’t that so cool?”

 

They all swooned in happiness. Hikari gave them a concerned look.

 

“Um...doesn’t that just mean he’s albino?” came Hikari’s reply.

 

"A-anyway! The prince is a gorgeous and lovely boy who will make all your wishes come true! That's what my Mama told me," said the blonde.

And this time, her two friends confidence bloomed. They were all so convinced that the aloof and mysterious Crown Prince could make their life better. They didn't even know him. They hadn't even seen him before! But, as Hikari mused quietly, it was to be expected. They were only children. The real culprit were their parents, who, for whatever reason, thought it appropriate to paint a false image of the Prince. 

Hikari wondered what their motive was - besides the obvious. It couldn't just be because they wished to connect themselves with the Royal Family of Barlowe. It was too obvious, too easy - there had to be a different reason why. 

 

Thinking this way, Hikari turned towards the blonde, who was still singing praises about the mysterious Crown Prince.

 

"And besides," she continued, "He will marry me because we Armands are the possessors of the Third Jewel of Barlowe. Mama said it doesn't matter if we are ugly or pretty, loud or cruel. As long as we have that thing in our possession, an Armand woman will be the Queen!" Hikari stilled. As she heard the squeals of the little girls as they imagined extravigant future lives, she had to admit, she had no idea what the Third Jewel of Barlowe even was...Was it a weapon? A curse? The name of a jewel mine?

 

Hikari had to ask. "You, in the blue dress."

 

"Me?!"

 

"Ah, she noticed you." 

 

Hikari ignored that. "Just what is the Third Jewel of Barlowe? Is it jewellery?"

 

With that, the young blonde's eyes grew large and she puffed out her chest. "Silly Carmichael, there's no way I would tell you! Sorry, but that's a family secret! I won't tell even if I'm hanged and quarted!" 

 

Hikari's chest ached slightly. She felt slightly out of breath. But why? Was it because of that dreadful torture she just mentioned? 

 

But the blonde girl seemed like she was having too much fun. "Anyway, now that I know you aren't my rival, I suppose it's only fair to allow you inside my little group." Hikari's eyes widened. That blonde girl seemed very full of herself - but strangely enough, Hikari could no longer detect any malicious intent from her.

 

Feeling confused, Hikari tilted her green head and asked, "Um, why? We've never talked." 

 

"T-That! That's because I felt sorry for you, you know? You're always alone." 

"Yes. Michaela might be a little... eager with her words, but it's true!" the violet-haired girl exclaimed while clutching her fists.

"We saw you vacating your room. Your maid was spouting non-sense and all the other maids started gossiping about you. They think you're evil." the ginger girl said.

 

That did hurt Hikari's feelings a little. What was wrong with those maids? She knew they didn't know the full story, and were only reacting to what they had seen, but still! She was (in this form) still a little kid! What a mess, she thought. All this just from trying to have comfortable conversation with a servant? (A servant she was 110% sure wasn't a real maid!)

 

Hikari sighed. "Well, thank you for letting me know." And that was accurate. Hikari was truly grateful to the three girls for telling her this fact. If she hadn't known, she might not have been able to fully understand in the future. That's right, it was about time to head back. It was getting late.

Faced with sincere gratitude and a smile from Hikari, it seemed the purple and blonde girls shared a glance. Their faces were taut with tension, as they said, "Wait! There's more!" Hikair turned. "More?"

"Yes, more! At first..."

"We didn't want to tell you, since you were our biggest rival, but - as expected, we have to! Those maids are going to punish you tonight," said the blonde. "Valerie heard it herself!"

The purple-haired girl nodded. "That's right, that's right! I did! And when I did, I wanted to write a letter to you explaining this, but..."

"Stop Valerie, you'll get into trouble!" exclaimed the ginger-haired girl. "If you are punished, Mom will punish me too!" 

Hikari's neck was getting tired from the constant back and forth. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore and snapped. "Who stopped you, Valerie? And," she leveled her gaze at the redhead. "Even if Valerie explains it, why would you be in trouble?"

The little girls' eyes widened and she reddened in shame. "I, it's..." she shut her eyes and within seconds, the blonde girl was by her side. "H-hey, Olivia, what's wrong? Shaking like this..." She looked like she wanted to help her friend, but had no idea how to go about it. Angered, she turned her attention towards Hikari again. "Hey, isn't this enough? We told you about those maids. Can't you figure out the mastermind by yourself?" Her words sounded harsh, but Hikari could see in her eyes the sheer helplessness and fear. This was an issue she couldn't ring a maid for. This was something she had to deal with herself - and it was very likely that, for the first time in her life, that blondie was given a task she had no idea how to solve.

It was, without a doubt, maddening. 

 

Hikari felt conflicted. She wanted to hear their concerns. They were just three six-year olds, thrust into a world they had no idea about. To top it all off, they were even told to not only engage in this failed competition, but to win it! They genuinely thought that if they lost, it was completely their fault. As if they ever had a chance.

 

Even thought Hikari had promised herself that she wouldn't mix herself into others' business, this was different. As a human being, if she didn't help them out, she knew she would surely suffer. Her dignity would crumble. Her bleeding heart had already made up its mind. She was doing this. 

 

Mind made up, Hikari kneeled down towards the crying redhead and said, "It's okay. I don't need to hear it if you aren't comfortable with it."

The young girl angled her head up slightly,  and muttered a muffled "Really?"

"Yes. It's as the blondie says. You've already helped a lot, Olivia." Behind her she could hear the faint, 'Eh...Blondie...?' in the background, but she focused on the girl in front of her. 

"I have?"

"Yes! If it weren't for you guys' help, I would've been a lot less likely to make any friends. You've really helped me out a lot." With each compliment, Olivia seemed to get better. She was quite as downtrodden. Hikari was a little disappointed - on one hand, she really wanted to cut out the middleman and know who was attempting to sabotage her. On the other hand...she didn't want to force a young girl to relive trauma to achieve her wish. Olivia was clearly going through...something. 

She was alright one moment, and as soon as she mentioned her mother, she crumbled. Hikari made a mental note to investigate Olivia's household later. 

With time, Olivia pulled herself together and smiled a wobbly smile. "T-thank you, Miss Carmichael. I will remember your kindness."

"It's okay even if you don't. And if you have to thank anybody, thank your friends." 

"They stood by you and cherish you enough to wipe your tears away. The three of you are really good friends." 

"That's true. Thank you, Valerie, Michaela!" Hikari tilted her head. 

The blonde girl was ticked. "Yes, my name is Michaela! I'm a Viscount Disco's daughter! He's filthy rich, you know? How come you can remember these two, but you can't remember my name?!"

"Ah blondie, that's no way for a lady to speak."

"Screw that! Call my name!"

"It was long...Michelle?"

"No! It's Michaela! Mi-chael-la!"

They walked home, with a giggling Olivia in tow, and a certain purple-haired girl watching with a knowing look. Before they reached the doors, she muttered, "Thank you."

"No problem."

Michaela held the dirtied Olivia by her side. It seemed like the girl had twisted her ankle and hadn't told anyone. Noticing this, Hikari was surprised when Michaela turned to her, saying: "Honestly, it's not a hard name. You'd better remember it by dawn!" She entered the Mansion in a huff.

Valerie burst into pearls of laughter. "That's Micha alright. She's so fun to be around."

"Mm." Hikari nodded. 

"Anyway, thank you for that thing with Olivia. She and I are childhood friends. We've been by each others sides since forever."

"What if I told you she wasn't a family member?" 

"Noble houses are notoriously restrictive. No one can come in without proper authoritization." 

"What are you trying to do?"

"I'm paying you back and keeping Olivia-chan's promise at the same time. Micha might be bright, and Oli might be kind, but I'm the glue that keeps them out of trouble. So, Renetia-san, can you figure it out? Oli's story."

Hikari was shocked. This girl seemed much smarter than the rest. She had hid so well, too. 

"How come you can't solve Olivia's problem?" Even with the hard glint in her eyes, Hikari had to ask. It could be a trap. 

"We're tired of failing," came her swift reply, full of heartache. "Even if we continue, Oli can't handle it like we can." Valerie stepped closer. Palm on her shoulder, she begged, "Save her."

An unexpected event has begun?

1