12. Enter in Dungeon
277 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the door opens, the view before me changes drastically.

The walls are covered with long, transparent tubes, and the predominant blue-white electric light gives it a distinctly cyberpunk feel.

In the center of my line of sight is a massive gate towering high.

"The Portal Gate... the real one..."

Seeing it, my excitement explodes at an explosive rate.

The fantastic scenery, the bursting sounds, the unique scent – everything is magnificent. If possible, I'd love to explore this floor all day long.

However, reality doesn't work that conveniently. This is not a game, but real. It's an exam venue.

As a result, the first thing that comes to my ears is not a welcoming greeting but rather a natural question.

"What's your exam number and name?"

The crowd gathers around the far Portal Gate. The armored woman standing in the center prompts me to state my identity.

"I am examinee number twenty-six, Tatsuya Kurogan."

Checking something like a checklist, the armored woman points to the last row of examinees, indicating where I should stand.

As I move to the designated spot, I discreetly observe my rivals.

There are about four hundred examinees in total – roughly seventy percent are humans, and the remaining thirty percent are other species. I can also spot a few individuals with foreign bloodlines among them.

The majority of them are young men in their twenties, about five years older than me. The next most significant group seems slightly older, and only about ten percent appear to be teenagers.

Among this small group of teenagers, she is there too.

With long, blonde hair, almond-shaped aqua eyes, and a snowflake-shaped accessory on her bangs, as well as a ribbon of the same color tied to her back hair.

She is the woman that I have to change this game story direction.

"Now, let's begin the explanation of the main exam," the red-haired examiner says.

While I observe the other examinees, it seems we have passed the assembly time.

I focus and listen to the words of the examiner.

"The exam will take place on the first floor of this dungeon. You'll have 90 minutes for exploration. However, you must use the equipment we've provided in advance."

In other words, we have to dive into the dungeon and go on an adventure for an hour and a half. Those who earn a certain amount of points will pass without question. Additionally, examinees who complete special challenges prepared by the examiners will receive bonus points. It seems to be a feature in this world, similar to the game.

"Cooperative actions among examinees will be allowed, but only during combat. Keep in mind that the evaluation points will vary depending on the number of people involved in the cooperation."

It's basically saying that if you form a party, the points you earn for defeating monsters will be reduced compared to defeating them alone. I think it's a reasonable balance. Otherwise, everyone would form a party and pass together.

"Also, the transfer of spirit stones between examinees is strictly prohibited. Any acts of plunder are unacceptable. If such behavior is found, you will be disqualified immediately and lose your eligibility to take the exam for a while. Remember this well."

Although the female examiner's words might sound threatening, she is simply talking about not exchanging answer sheets or forcibly taking someone else's test sheet. It's a reasonable penalty for those who can't even follow the most basic rules.

After finishing the explanations and question time, each of us chooses our weapons and proceeds to pass through the portal gate one by one.

The mysterious door that connects the interior of the dungeon, another world, with the real world, the "Transference Portal Gate."

Although it's my first experience of an extraordinary warp that instantly takes you to another dimension, my impression is rather plain and can only be described as "ordinary."

There's no feeling of shaking or any strange floating sensation, which is common in transportation methods of that sort. It's just passing through, and the only thing that changes is the scenery in front of me.

But such matters are the least of my concerns; my excitement level is soaring.

The otherworldly landscape, with everything from the ceiling to the floor and walls composed of azure and luminous astral bodies, forms intricate passageways like a maze.

One can't help but feel it tangibly.

This is inside the dungeon. Inside!

After about a year since the transfer, it's the main content of Eternal Bonds that I've admired and watched from the outside all this time.

"Alright then, I hereby declare the start of the Spring Adventurer's Test. The time limit is 90 minutes from now until noon. Do your best without any regrets. Now... begin!"

With the armored examiner's spirited declaration, the test finally begins.

Candidates run through the maze with a somewhat cyber atmosphere one after another.

Among them is the girl I saw earlier; I trail the girl.

If you only observe my actions, it might appear as if I'm just a stalker, and I'm aware of that fact.

However, there's a compelling reason behind it.

That's because today's test is so famous that it's even talked about in the original Eternal Bonds two years later, and she's a key figure in that event...

8