16. The Devourer of Dungeons
204 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A gloomy, eerie feeling spreads in Hana's body; she looks up and sees a person; black smoke is releasing from the person's body.

"Apologies, examiner. Just to be sure, is that thing also part of the exam?"

"Ah, no, impossible! Why is there a mutant illegal here?! We have to report this, report, report..."

Hana inquires the examiner, Jun, as a last resort to confirm the situation. But it seems that the situation is worse than she thinks.

Jun, a seasoned adventurer and a recognized examiner by the country, is in a state of panic that renders him unable to function.

Hana stifles a sigh that is about to escape her throat and, instead, maintains a calm voice to instruct Jun.

"Could you please call for reinforcements, examiner? I'll stay here and distract this thing."

"Are you telling me to leave you behind and run away alone?"

"No, that's not it. I want you to call for reinforcements. Let's divide the roles."

Hana's voice remains calm even in this abnormal situation.

She understands the situation.

From its appearance alone, she can roughly understand what kind of entity the monster before her is.

The word "Devourer" crosses Hana's mind suddenly.

The Devourer, a hellish messenger who harvests human souls.

There is no better word to describe the strange creature that appears before her.

"Illegal mutant, right? I'm not entirely sure, but that thing seems dangerous. It doesn't seem like the type to listen to reason, so let me handle it while you bring reinforcement."

"It's not just dangerous; it's beyond that. That thing is a monster that devours adventurers indiscriminately. Furthermore, it's stronger than the final guardian boss enemy of a poorly designed dungeon. There's no way we can handle it on our own."

Jun's explanation matches Hana's intuition.

He isn't unaware of Hana's capabilities.

Within the trials exam has set up, Jun catches a glimpse of Hana's natural talent.

Based on that fact, he asserts that they can't defeat this monster.

However, precisely because of that...

"Then, examiner..."

With a light smile, Hana says, and her smile carries the consideration of a fourteen-year-old girl trying to ease his tension.

"That's why, examiner."

Jun's face twists in surprise, and as he expects, the words come out of Hana's mouth.

"Even if we challenge such a strong opponent, we'll just end up wiped out, won't we? But if we both run away, it'll chase us. So, it's more efficient if one person holds it back while the other goes to call for reinforcements..."

Hana looks at the monstrous being before her.

The monstrous being with the appearance of a Devourer stares directly at Hana with its eyesockets, which are at least three meters tall.

"If we do it that way... At least one of us will definitely survive."

With those words, Hana draws her Japanese sword, her weapon of choice.

In response to her action, the Devourer opens an interdimensional hole on its body and retrieves its own weapon, a large scythe, as if matching Hana's movements.

"Haha, you come at me with a scythe, huh? It's a bit too contrived, don't you think?"

Observing the scythe the Devourer has taken out, Hana can't help but feel that something about it seems forced.

The Devourer's appearance, with round body, blackish aura all over body, with smoke-like hand wielding a large scythe, is the epitome of a deathly monster. Yet, Hana senses something artificial about it. Nevertheless, she focuses on preparing for battle.

"All right then, examiner. I'll leave the rest to you."

"N-No, I will definitely come to help you. So, please hold on until then!"

"Yes, yes. I'll do my best."

Hana sees off the apologetic examiner with a light-hearted tone, waving her hand as he leaves.

"Now, Mr. Devourer. I don't know why you're here, but thanks for waiting."

The Devourer doesn't respond, either because it can't or doesn't want to. In any case, communication with the monster seems impossible, so Hana shrugs it off.

"All right then, let's get started!"

In an instant, she dashes with lightning speed.

Her enhanced agility from the "Enhanced Leg Strength Stride" spell allows her to unleash a brilliant assault while feinting five times along the way to close the distance. Her high-speed charge catches the mutant creature off guard.

"Uru...!?"

Even the high-speed movements seem to be futile as Hana's sword comes perilously close to the Devourer's throat.

In an instant, the Devourer swings its scythe in a reflexive counterattack.

The Devourer's scythe is not just physically damaging but can harm souls as well. However, the strike, which is supposed to have the ferocity befitting the monster's nature, feels as if it has hit smoke, losing its sense of impact.

Hana's figure, which has darted into its front, has vanished in the blink of an eye.

"Here... I am!"

The voice comes from behind.

As the Devourer senses the presence of the girl, who had been in front of him moments ago, it also recognizes the sharp pain spreading across its back.

It has been slashed.

The girl has flown into its front, circled around, and delivered a swift, powerful strike to its back.

This single move indicates that...

"Well, well. Based on how it felt just now, I seem to be faster than you."

The girl's agility is surpassing that of the mutant creature.

With her high-speed strikes and whirlwind-like swordplay, Hana continues to chip away at the Devourer, while the creature's scythe can barely graze her.

Hana's speed, sharpness, and elegant form display the swordsmanship of a genius. It is undeniable that she is overpowering the mutant creature.

But...

"I'm slashing you, but you're not getting hurt at all. Hmmm, it's troublesome."

Although the monster is undoubtedly being cut by Hana's sword, the wounds aren't leading to severance. Strangely, after a brief moment, the cut marks disappear completely.

"Blocking pain... No, that's not it; it's reacting. The sensation is too real for it to be an illusion, so I'll put that on hold for now. In that case, it must be that."

Hana continues to observe the Devourer's body carefully, even as she performs incredible acrobatics, evading with backflips and following up with a powerful downward slash.

No one in the room admires or fears her fighting style; it's just Hana and the silent Devourer. Their battle continues without any cheering or dramatic moments.

The speed of her relentless attacks, accompanied by the relentless storm of sword strikes, would make anyone familiar with dungeons doubt their eyes.

Yet, no one is present to witness it except for the mute monster and Hana herself.

Don't worry; readers are here to witness this performance.

Anyway, the battle will continue in the next chapter! Please look forward to it!

6