Chapter 61: Vs The Sentinels
251 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

10 advanced chapters in my Patreon. 

Patreon.com/Saintbarbido.

::------------------------------------------::

(General P.O.V)

3 monstrous mechanical forms floated in formation within the ruins of a huge complex.

They hovered above Spiderman and his two teammates. That included the Morlocks they were shielding behind them.

The Sentinels' huge sizes meant they barely fit through the hole leading to the underground tunnel.

Half of their upper bodies jutted out through the floor's cavity, created when they first attacked.

A barely detectable hum filled the air surrounding them.

Add in the light of their red eyes glowing through the smog, and the Sentinels cast a terrifying image.

One that had the mutants behind Caliban quaking in fear. They were kids after all.

"Hush, Children. Avert your gaze."

Caliban whispered, quickly and silently urging them to retreat to the back. As far away from the Sentinels as they could.

Caliban had seen what one could do in close range. One attack and nothing but ash would remain of them.

Backing away was not for their protection alone. They couldn't distract their protectors, their heroes, from doing their jobs.

Only, those same heroes they were counting on were in various states of shock, grief and disbelief.

Peter personally couldn't believe it. His mind struggled to come to terms with reality. The pain present in his body was nothing compared to the anguish he was feeling.

Nova's body had been crushed into a pulp. His limbs broken and bent the wrong way. There wasn't even a head...

Blood dripped down the Sentinel's fingers. Blood from one of Spidey's own. White Tiger was already dead.

And now Nova too.

Spiderman...had failed. His friends had paid the ultimate price for believing in him. For trusting his leadership.

And he hated it.

"Nova!!!!!"

Spiderman called out, voice breaking from the weight of his guilt.

"Damn you!!"

With relative ease, he shoved Luke Cage away as he glared up at the sentinel responsible for Killing Nova.

Peter's face was twisted in an expression of bitter hatred under the strips of his destroyed mask.

Gritting his teeth, he took a single step forward.

"Luke, get the kids out of here...protect them."

Spiderman ordered in the coldest voice anyone present had ever heard.

"Wait Spidey..."

Luke began, only to notice the slight trembling of Spider-Man's body. His fingers were tightened into fists.

There was no talking him out of this, was there?

Spiderman was too Furious. He had already decided to fight.

He was going to make them pay! He vowed. The Sentinels and whoever was controlling them.

Before Spiderman could make good on his promise, someone else beat him to the punch.

"Spidey!! You go with Luke and the children! I will stay behind and buy you time!"

Iron Fist yelled at him, taking a leap forward with his fist glowing golden.

"Wait! Danny! No!"

Peter reached out to call him back, but the Iron Fist was already in the process of an attack.

He took a running leap forward, sailing through the air. His body was shrouded by a cloak of golden Chi.

"I shall make you feel the wrath of the Iron Fist!"

The protector of Kun'lun proclaimed, his body undergoing massive changes.

The golden glow surrounding his fist flared up in a large yellow flame that consumed The Iron Fist's entire body.

This was his strongest form, the Burning Soul of The Dragon.

An ancient art passed down through the book of the Iron Fist. With it, his attack potency was magnified at the cost of rapid Chi consumption.

It also changed his body into a skeletal burning man.

"""Scanning..."""

The Sentinels called out, the light of their eye beams encompassing Iron Fist.

"Scan this!"

Danny Said, pulling back his right fist and punching out with a storm of chi.

"Dragon's roar!"

(Billy's P.O.V)

There was an explosion up ahead.

Golden flames rose into the air above the location I was headed to.

Right where I sensed Peter's mind.

The emotion coming off him was overwhelming anger and a deep sense of loss.

What happened?

I blurred the rest of the way, finding myself levitating above what used to be a mall. The air screamed around me, reality catching up to my speed and displacing the air molecules around my form.

The building was barely standing, the walls and glass window having crumbled or shattered apart.

The air was heavy with heat and smoke that seemed to come from somewhere below.

I switched out Telepathy for a general psionic scan. A pulse of mental energy escaped me, digging through the whole premises.

A map of the building and the surrounding block appeared in my mind.

Within the mall, the upper bodies of 3 sentinels peaked out through the floor.

Their focus seemed to be on the underground section where tongues of Golden flames surged up through the ditch around their gigantic forms.

What was left of the mall; a few pillars and a portion of the roof, fell on the Sentinels, breaking into sizable chunks that continued on to descend into the tunnels.

A roar sounded out, as if in response to the falling rubble. Following the roar, more golden fire burst out.

The heat licked the shells of the Sentinels, spreading up their forms. And in a resounding bang that produced a giant pressure wave, the entire Mall exploded.

I shielded my eyes from the flash of light and glare of heat produced.

Building debris slammed onto my shield, getting obliterated into dust.

Nothing was left of the mall, just a charred ground with smoke rising out of it.

My Psionic scan detected movement; the Sentinels flying out of the mall.

Or rather they were slammed away by another explosion of fire created by the burning skeleton.

With black charred bones, the entity's body was covered in golden flame.

The same kind of fire burning on the Sentinels.

To the latter's credit however, they did not seem to be injured by the flames. In fact, they were only thrown a few dozens of meters away in the air.

The Sentinels halted in their flight and using the same formation as before, they flew in to attack.

"""Identified...Iron Fist"""

"""Omega Level Mutate."""

"""Countermeasure: Overwhelming Attacks."""

The Sentinels droned in a collective voice.

The burning skeleton's response was to manipulate the flames around himself, creating a large domineering Easter Dragon construct.

The dragon roared to the heavens before flying forwards to meet the rush of the robots head on.

I turned my attention away from the fight. So, that was the Iron Fist huh? Good to know. He could probably keep them occupied for a few more minutes.

My priority was Peter.

Using Telepathy, I determined his position and without a second thought, burst right through the street.

concrete and soil folded before me and then I was landing inside a tunnel, a layer of dust announcing my arrival into the tunnels.

Immediately, there was a chorus of yelps.

I reached into their minds and transmitted my thoughts:

(Everybody, don't be afraid. I mean you no harm. Spidey, it's me Shazam.)

"""Huh?"""

"""What just happened?"""

"""I'm scared. Mommy...""

"""The children! Is everyone okay?"""

The weight of their mental response hit me like an 18 wheeler. I staggered a little.

Only to realize, I could take it. It wasn't overwhelming, despite how heavy their emotions and mental stress were.

I could see it all. All their fears, hate, regrets and past few minutes worth of memories.

"Shazam?! It cant be..."

A voice I hadn't heard in some time reached my ears.

Peter...

"Shit."

I sighed, realizing what had Peter so worked up after going through all their memories. Nova was dead. So was White Tiger too.

"I'm sorry, Spidey."

I told him just as he landed on the ground before me.

He gave me a strange look of confusion and elation first,

then he nodded in understanding, face shifting into a gloomy expression.

"Nova."

"The Sentinels, they are most likely being controlled by Ultron. He's an Artificial Intelligence from the future."

I immediately disclosed, walking forward while committing every single psionic imprint within the tunnel into my mind.

The mission was to save Spidey, which meant something was coming for him.

I was yet to receive a confirmation from the system to show the mission was complete. The risk to his life was still eminent.

And to save him, I needed to be prepared for anything.

Parsing through the memories of everyone present who could pose a danger, was the least of what I did.

I dug into their past, their realest selves. Were they human or not? Maybe a shape shifter had hid with the Morlocks just waiting to attack Spiderman.

That last one was an actual concern. An alien species called Skrulls could impersonate just about anyone. Sneaky little fucks. And Marvel had a lot of beings with even weirder abilities.

Looking through their minds, confirmed we were safe from an attack from one of our own.

Powerman. Morlocks. And that guy outside was Danny Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist.

That eliminates them from the list.

I blinked my eyes and refocused on Peter's next words.

"I thought you were dead. Like everyone else."

His tone was cold. Lifeless. Not at all what I was expecting from him.

The earlier elation at seeing me had quickly shifted to something else. Nova's death became the focus. And With Nova's death, came the ones responsible, the target for his hate.

I saw the moment he launched onto that thought.

His neurons firing off as his mind caught up with what I had said a few seconds ago.

"Wait! You said who's responsible?! Ultron? An AI? Where is It!!?"

He demanded, almost jumping at me.

The whole tunnel shook with an explosion from above, causing the ceiling to collapsed on us.

Thinking quickly, I spread my hands out, shooting a telekinetic beam and stopping the debris in mid air.

"I'm going to need you to dial it down Spidey. Calm down."

I told Peter, disintegrating the debris into dust, recombining it into a thick paste, before patching up the hole on the roof.

"Now, we need to get you all out of here."

I told him pointedly, hoping he would understand the danger the kids were in.

"Spidey, this the guy from the Fantastic Four thing?"

Luke Cage aka Powerman, jumped in.

"Yeah."

Peter answered offhandedly, his focus fully on me.

"Answer me first. Who's Ultron? And why did he do this?! The whole fucking world! My Aunt! MJ, Ned, Harry and All our friends are dead!"

Peter spat out with bitterness and rage.

"Not all of them! Look! Now's not the time to break down on me Peter! Focus dammit! I was dead a few minutes ago and you don't see me freaking out!!!"

I short back, pushing past the both of them, while I headed towards the blocked off path infront of us.

"What are you doing?"

Powerman asked, hands folded o er his massive chest.

"Trying to find a way out of here."

I answered, surveying the scene infront.

A pale Albino mutant stood protectively before the scared children. The mutant stared at me with a strange look.

His mind was quieter than the others. Almost as of Telepathy didn't work on him. I would solve the mystery later. For now, I ignored them all, my mind coming up and discarding strategies on how I could get us out of the mess.

You see, the tunnel before us was closed off. Boarded up by concrete and metal beams.

It was a Dead End, ensuring that even if The Burning man had bought them enough time to escape, they wouldn't have been able to.

No matter how much power Peter or Powerman possessed, they couldn't dig a tunnel through the soil and escape a pursuing force of 3 Sentinels.

They would die within minutes at best.

I see, this could be why the system issued it as a mission.

Now, how should I do this? Through my Psionic field, I could sense another network of tunnels a few hundred feet on the other side of the dead end.

Could I use a telekinetic beam to blast through the concrete and soil? No, Solomon's Wisdom told me the tunnel I would create would not be stable and might cave in.

Okay, next plan...

"It's a waste of time."

Spiderman said from behind. I had felt him and Luke approach. The latter stood at his back like a bodyguard.

"We should fight."

Spiderman said, punching his open palm with resolve pouring out of him.

"There's nowhere else to run to."

Powerman added, gritting his teeth.

"And- I want a piece of those fucking tin cans as well."

"Language."

Caliban, the albino mutant said offhandedly.

I but my lip in thought.

I couldn't let Spiderman join the battle. He might die.

But he also seemed determined to fight, so I probably couldn't convince him to sit this one out. The sounds of the fight were also getting dangerously close.

What should I do...

Then an idea came to me. It was something I should be able to pull off now.

I closed my eyes and concentrated. My Psionic Field extended even further than the closest blocks and tunnels.

It encompassed the whole of New York. And just like that, nothing and no one could escape my gaze. I breathed out.

Solomon's Wisdom told me I was ready.

I opened my eyes, slightly smiling at Peter.

"Sorry Spidey, but I came here to save you. Don't worry about your other Teammate, I'll bring him back."

Spiderman blinked in confusion.

"What-"

That's all he said, before I snapped a finger and everyone around, the Morlocks, Luke Cage and Spiderman all disappeared, teleported away by my new ability.

~~~~~~~

(New ability created:-

-Teleportation:- Spatially relocate yourself or others from one place to another. Limited range of 10 miles.

~~~~~~~

And now I had Telepathy, Telekinesis and teleportation.

Just how powerful was Solomon's legacy?

Another text box immediately took center stage of my vision.

~~~~~~~~

(Mission Complete)

(Rescue Spiderman and his Team from a painful death in the Hands of The Sentinels.)

(Reward:- Full Control Over The Ring of Solomon.)

~~~~~~~~~

Sweet. The mission was complete. Spiderman was safe, though I knew he wasn't going to be happy that I sent him away without warning.

Now, time to deal with the 3 Sentinels fighting the Iron Fist.

Oh and also their over dozens of reinforcements descending upon the city.

7