Epilogue – Ascension
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gone was the regal throne room on top of Babel. What was once a palace that exuded a mystical yet sacred aura had been completely scrubbed out of existence.

What replaced it was a series of interlocking crystals that came out of everywhere. From the ceiling, from the floor, from the walls. The crystals neatly arranged themselves into a dome, with the throne at one end.

Three individuals surrounded the throne. The members of Euphoria lined themselves up in a circular formation, watching their leader seated on the throne.

Guren Izaya had become a figure almost completely drenched in black. Save for his mouth and eyes, purplish blackness that melded like hazy ink, had taken over.

“So that’s what it manifested as,” he muttered, having seen the many lotuses that bloomed all over Shiroki City. “Fittingly so. I heard from Kiyone that the lotus is a flower that symbolizes rebirth. The perfect representation of the world’s order being overturned.”

Seeing the people being hit by the tendrils and falling unconscious, Izaya smiled.

“Fear not, mortals. Those tendrils do not kill. They only open the gate to a paradise where pure bliss awaits. Don’t you want that?”

He remained seated on his throne, but he can already sense the tendrils of the lotuses doing their work. Those struck by them created a ripple effect on the Akashic Records, allowing him to feed into their desires.

“For far too long, humanity has been tormented by fate. The meek get enslaved, misfortune befalls the undeserving, the just get punished. That rotten system ends today.”

He remained in place, turning to the three members. The traces of the battle were gone, and his power, his mere presence, had allowed him to heal his three subordinates.

“So, is that it? We just wait here until you’re done? Boring.”

Satoru was the first to speak out. He swung his tentacle arm in a playful motion before Utara stopped him.

“That can’t be it. I just know those people won’t take to this kindly. What happens if they fight their way and destroy those flowers when they wake up?”

“Just let me rest,” said Izaya. His reassuring voice echoed in the room while the three members of Euphoria stood in guard. “All of their efforts to resist will be rendered moot once I fully awaken to this power.”

“Then, let us serve as your shield, Lord Izaya. I am sure that those brats will find their way in here, and we’ll take care of them.”

Utara bowed. In response, Izaya nodded before raising his hand.

“Very well. The three of you shall serve as the guardians of the three palaces. Until then, I will sleep and focus on completely integrating my body with the power of the Akashic Records. It will take time for me to subdue and stabilize it, but you three should be more than enough.”

Utara maintained her curt bow, while the other two nodded.

“Palaces?” she asked.

“It would seem that in the process of reconstructing Babel, he also revised the exterior. Remember how we had to go through various different-looking worlds to get here?” Dr. Kagami was the one who answered. “I wonder what other preparations you have made.”

“So it will be boring wait after boring wait, huh?! How long till we get to see that perfect world of yours manifest?” asked an impatient Satoru once again. “The bright world where I get my revenge on those people who dared push me down and lose me my arm.”

“To be fair, when those people get here, you can get the first shot at them and have all the fighting you and Setsura want. As for me… I prefer to stay last. I’m in no hurry, and all the preparations will drastically increase my chances of victory,” said Dr. Kagami.

The two had different takes on the matter. Nonetheless, all three of them went their way.

Finally left alone, Izaya found much needed peace and quiet. His eyes glowed, and he saw them all in their brilliance.

Lights. Flaming wisps. Stars.

Whatever those specks of light that blanketed the sheet in his vision, he saw them shine brightly. Some even more intensely than others, while they flickered one by one, blown away by an unseen force.

As more lights flickered and died down, Izaya knew that those were just the hearts of people entering his dream world. People who are being raptured, thanks to the power of the Akashic Records that he now wielded.

However, when he tried exerting his will over some the lights, a shock ran through his hand. He clicked his tongue out of frustration.

He still had incomplete control over the Akashic Records. He still had no power to completely snuff out all the lights and force the people into the numerous worlds presented by his Akashic Records. The world of their greatest desires. A world free from the cruel bonds of fate.

It will take time.

But it’s one he’s willing to wait for.

After all, salvation is at hand.

0