Chapter 2: The Screening
119 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In most cultivation novels, the main character starts as either some random unknown person or a part of some clan that may know of cultivation and may practice it to some degree. And then the mc decided they want better, so they set off and participate in a talent screening. They pass and all is good. 

Now, talent can be measured in different ways in every universe, but in the Sky Spill continent, there is only one way: push some essence into a person, and read how much is absorbed, and how much escapes. It’s a crude method, but they’re barely aware of laws and concepts here, with the Divine Kingdoms possibly being exceptions. To devise a better method they would need to be able to infuse an object with a law that can read the fate of the individual, which is impossible at the power levels of the Sky Spill Continent.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I am not sure yet, the Purple Card works in such a way that it attracts all energy to itself and its current host. It also can’t be detected unless I bring it out of my body, so to everyone else, it’d seem like I have some kind of seamless body, one that doesn’t allow even a minuscule amount of essence out.

Based on what I remember from the novel, Mu Qianyu only had a grade-seven talent, and that was only due to her superior Vermillion Bird constitution and the large amount of resources invested in her upbringing. She is also a rather good person compared to other people in cultivation novels, so any problems I may face won’t be due to her.

With these final thoughts, I finally rose from my cot and prepare for the talent screening. The last few days I was able to eat heartily and train my muscles, bringing me to the healthiest Yun has ever been, and one step closer to my goal of reaching True Divinity. 

Though, now that I think about it, I’m unsure in which part of the story I am. I could be older than Lin Ming, younger, or even the same age, but I can’t know because the year is never mentioned. Hell, he could be long gone, and I’d meet him only when he returns for a short while. Actually, that probably hasn’t happened or he’d already be famous. 

I pack what meagre belongings I have and supplies I’ll need, and set off to the screening. To other people, it may seem weird that orphan Yun is preparing to be selected as a disciple, but their opinion doesn’t matter. It’s the dream of every boy to be selected, so I’m not the only presumptuous one here, either. 

An hour later the person from the sect, a somewhat young man, probably in his twenties, a disciple or a head disciple of some kind, arrived. He doesn't seem to have brought a method of transport, so he must think the sect will only obtain one or two people from this screening, which, fair enough, the talent in the Sky Spill continent is not that good. 

“Everyone attending this screening, please line up in front of me in an orderly line!” The disciple announced, “Only those below the age of thirteen with no cultivation, those below the age of fifteen with a cultivation of at least the fourth stage of physical training, and those below the age of twenty with a cultivation of Houtian or higher will be screened!” With his announcement finished, he set down on the ground and began idly waiting. 

Through all the ensuing pushing and shoving, I ended up somewhere toward the back of the line, with our very own Tang Shi in the front. Ten minutes after the announcement, everyone was finally in an orderly line, waiting for the disciple to begin. 

“Good! Once you reach the front, just put your hand on the sphere and it will light up with as many lines as your grade tier. One line is a talent of one, two is a talent of two, etc. If your talent is below five, you may leave. If it is five or higher, line up to my right. Begin!”

With the disciple’s order, Tang Shi put his hand on the sphere, and after a few seconds, it lit up with five lines and another two-thirds of a line.

“Good! High-fifth grade talent! Stand off to the side! Next!”

With the disciples urging, the line began to move slowly. Of the five-dozen people in front of me, only one other person had even close to a fifth-grade talent, and even then it was only a mid-grade fourth. And then finally, it was my turn. I placed my hand on the sphere, and it shone overwhelmingly, before finally calming down to show only pieces remain. Oops.

2