Chapter 12: Guilt
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12: Guilt

Two days had gone by since we managed to capture the target. The Grandmaster dedicated a substantial amount of time to soothing the entity, ensuring its cooperation for the upcoming ascension ritual.

Joining this organization had initially left me skeptical, but witnessing magic unfold before my eyes – flames ignited with a mere gesture from the Grandmaster's hand, certain members turning invisible before my eyes – erased my doubts. It proved that the realm of possibilities was far broader than I'd ever thought.

They divulged the method to attain such power – by killing creatures from other dimensions, their essence could be harnessed. I desired to possess power such as theirs, and the cost seemed trivial in comparison to the power it would grant me.

The day the organization announced the discovery of a target, excitement coursed through me. To make it even more interesting, this particular entity was unique among the myriad otherworldly beings we'd encountered – the prospect of attaining a superhuman ability felt incredibly close.

I eagerly volunteered to aid in tracking the target, contributing all the information I could gather. When we successfully captured it, I was overwhelmed with joy. However, my perspective shifted dramatically when I finally laid eyes on the target. It looked just like a human, so much so that it shattered my preconceived notions. How could such a girl be an otherworldly being? She looked nothing more than a terrified child.

Now I seated in a chamber, surrounded by fellow members of the organization. There were several rooms between us and where the target was confined, yet its anguished cries pierced through the walls. Each scream tugged at my heart, inflicting an ache.

“What is the Grandmaster doing to the sacrifice?” I asked.

“The Grandmaster is ensuring that the sacrifice will not resist during the ceremony, so he’s performing spells that would deter the creature.”

“But what kind of spell is he performing?”

“We don’t know, nobody had ever seen what he does inside.”

In that moment, the sacrifice's pained cry pierced the air once more. The weight became unbearable; her plaintive wails and torment were undeniably human.

“Are you guys okay with this? What if we are wrong? She could be just a girl!”

A fellow member retorted sharply, saying that I should not be deceived by its appearance. Despite its human semblance and familiar cries, the entity was anything but human, they told me. I wanted to believe it.

“It’s time, the crying has stopped. It’s your group’s turn to clean the place.”

My partner and I grabbed the cleaning tools before heading towards the room. Once there, I knocked lightly on the chamber’s door. With a grating creak, the Grandmaster swung the door open. As usual, the Grandmaster acted composed. “Make sure the chamber is clean for the next session.”

“Yes, Grandmaster.”

I stepped into the chamber, and there she sat – bound to the metal chair with shackles and straps. Blood trickled down from the chair, staining the ground beneath her. Her clothes were smeared with red, yet she had no wounds on her.

The girl's eyes stared into mine, radiating fear. She emitted muffled sounds and grunts, as though attempting to communicate, but the tape that sealed her lips rendered her words unintelligible to me.

I wanted to talk to her, but I was warned by my partner. “Hey, we are not allowed to speak to the sacrifice.”

“Is there a reason why?”

“They sealed her mou – sorry, they sealed its mouth because I think there were cases of where past creatures were able to mind control with their speech.”

“Have there been any creatures that looked like her before?”

“I think there was, but none were as powerful as the Grandmaster claims this one to be.”

We meticulously wiped the floor, erasing all traces of blood stains. Throughout the cleaning process, I avoided meeting the girl's gaze. Each fleeting glance filled me with an overwhelming sense of guilt that settled heavily on my heart. With our task complete, we departed the chamber, softly closing the door behind us.

Heading back to our room, I asked my partner. “Have we fed…the creature since we caught it?”

“No, the IV connected with her is enough to keep it alive until the ceremony. The Grandmaster always watch out for the sacrifice anyways, to make sure it lived until the ceremony.”

“How long until the ceremony begins? I can’t really stand hearing her cries anymore.”

“Hey, it’s not human. It looks like us, but it’s not one of us. Don’t let its appearance bother you, just last until the ceremonial day. You will then finally receive the power you’ve been waiting for so long.”

Despite my partner's attempts to persuade me, I found myself unable to endure any longer. In the past, the pursuit of strength had outweighed all else, but now, confronted daily with the haunting sounds and sights within that chamber, doubt began to creep in. I questioned the path I had chosen, unsure whether to persist or reconsider my actions.

Part 2:

Completing his grim task, the Grandmaster meticulously cleansed the blood from his instruments. With methodical precision, he sanitized and carefully arranged them, returning them to their place on the cart. Concealing the implements beneath a cloth, he then wheeled the cart back behind Tsui's chair. A contented exhalation escaped his lips as he donned his cloak once more.

“This was a good session, I really enjoyed it.”

Observing Tsui's lack of response, the Grandmaster gently grasped her chin, turning her face to meet his gaze.

“You’re not dead, are you? I can’t have you dying on me yet.”

Tsui's eyes locked onto his, a complex blend of fear and simmering anger swirling within their depths. Her body bore severe mutilation, with fresh blood dripping from her wounds. Her fingers, broken and cracked. Even her once-vibrant violet hair was now marred by the stain of blood.

“My, my. Your will to live on is strong, to think you are not broken after all these… Don’t worry, you won’t be dying anytime soon. I will make sure you live.”

Releasing his grip on Tsui's chin, the Grandmaster extended his palm towards her. Uttering incantations under his breath, a vibrant green magic circle materialized before his hand.

Miraculously, her grievous wounds began to mend. The injuries that marred her body slowly faded away, her broken fingers realigning themselves with an almost surreal swiftness. In a matter of moments, her form was restored to pristine condition, as if the ordeal had never transpired.

“Magic is really handy, I must say. I have some business to attend to for now, I’ll be back in a few hours.” the Grandmaster remarked with a hint of satisfaction.

He unlocked the metal door and swung it open, issuing instructions to the other members to tidy up the room in his absence. Tsui persistently attempted to communicate with them, pleading for assistance, yet her appeals were met with silence. Their sole purpose seemed to be the cleansing of blood-stained floors, leaving the chamber once their task was complete.

“How long has it been…?” Tsui thought to herself. Confined within this frigid, lightless chamber, the duration had become an enigma. Her stomach's persistent ache and the parched, cracked state of her lips were testament to the passage of days, though the exact count remained elusive.

It was always the same routine, where she would be left alone with the Grandmaster. Hours would stretch on as he utilized an array of tools on her body until his satisfaction was sated. The excruciating pain he inflicted on her would had shattered anyone’s resolve to live multiple times over, yet Tsui endured.

“Is there anyone…please…” Tsui closed her eyes and prayed. “Please, someone, save me…”

Day 5

The Grandmaster removed his cloak, and placed it neatly on a distant table, away from Tsui. He put on his latex gloves and began speaking to Tsui with excitement.

“I read a new method of torture yesterday. I need your opinion on this matter.”

The Grandmaster carefully peeled the tape from Tsui's mouth. As the tape came off, Tsui's voice trembled with weariness. "No... no more..."

Holding up a small, sharp needle, the Grandmaster's tone turned chillingly informative. "Were you aware that by inserting a needle into the gum line between the 7th and 8th tooth..."

“Please…no…”

“You’ll hit a nerve that runs past your nose and up to behind your eye? It is said hitting this nerve causes excruciating pain that no amount of painkiller will help you with.”

The Grandmaster picked up a metallic instrument, meticulously wiping it clean with a piece of cloth. “They said the pain was unbearable, that you would have to be put into an induced coma just to stop feeling it altogether.”

Fueled by a desperate resistance, Tsui strained against her restraints, the chains that ensnared her only increased her agony. The shackles grinded against her wrists and legs until it scrapped off its skin, turning her skin red.

“No..! No!! Please, No!”

The Grandmaster firmly held Tsui's mouth, prying it open. Despite her efforts, Tsui struggled to keep her mouth shut. The Grandmaster managed to create enough space and inserted the metallic instrument, forcefully keeping her mouth open.

“So I would really appreciate it, if you could tell me if it’s true.” The Grandmaster said, picking up a flashlight and a needle. He began counting aloud, while Tsui felt the needle probing her teeth one by one.

“…five, six. Ah, seven and eight. Here we go~”

Tsui could feel as the needle pressed firmly against her gum, wedged between her teeth. Her cries echoed through the hall, reaching the ears of a member accustomed to cleaning Tsui's chamber.

Overwhelmed by the sound, the member lay on her bed, hands clutching her head as she tried to stop herself from hearing the haunting wails. She curled her body in distress, “No…this is too much, I can’t continue with this…!”

1