Chapter 1 – The Reclusive Genius
88 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A PC room in a quiet countryside.

It was filled with computers that were so worn out that even the vendors would wave their hands at them even if they were to buy them second-hand.

In the PC room, only the owner who was dozing at the counter and a child wearing a uniform from a nearby high school were the only ones inside.

“Jaeyoung! In 10 minutes It’ll be 10 o’clock already. I have to close the shop and go home.”

The owner, who suddenly woke up glanced at the clock and said, but Jaeyoung didn’t even hear that, focusing only on the monitor and moving the mouse and keyboard at breakneck speed immersed in the game.

Doo doo doo doo-

Kwak kwah kwak-

The most popular game in the world, the AOS a game that has brought huge issues.

 League of Legends.

 

Playing the game in an unknown PC room in the countryside, he was dominating the battlefield with a control that surprised users around the world.

 

-First Kill!

 

-Double Kill!

 

-Triple Kill!

 

Jaeyoung eliminates 3 enemy heroes by himself with ease without the help of other allies. Comments filled with astonishment from countless people who were watching his play were constantly pouring in.

 

-crazy… … You just caught all three by yourself?

 

-Is that even possible? He evaded all enemy skills while his HP was low.

 

-Are you even a human? Reaction speed like that can’t be normal.

 

-As expected, God… It's GOD.

 

-KTS’s pride of being number one in the world is not good today.

 

People went wild watching Jaeyoung lead the game to victory.

 

A truly staggering disparity of skills can be seen.

 

Since his opponent was KTS, a team that is famous for being ranked No. 1 in Korea, no in the world people were enthusiastic with an even more explosive reaction.

 

-But why didn’t DEX make his professional debut?

 

-I know… If you have that level of physicality, It would be natural for you to rise to the billion-dollar annual salary.

 

-DEX hyung₁, please reveal your face. I’ll give you a donation.

 

-Tell me at least a strategy through broadcasting. I’ll be sure to hit the subscribe button.

 

3 years ago. DEX, who appeared like a comet and boasted an absurd record of 98% win rate, reigned as the strongest player in the League of Legends. Each and every one of his plays created the meta of the game and boasted a huge influence, but no one actually knew his identity.

 

Despite obsessive notes from numerous teams to sign him as a pro gamer, DEX remained mystique and devoted himself to the game without replying anywhere.

 

“Shit! Won’t you do it right? If this loses, It’s really the dog’s side!”

 

The leader of the KTS team, Seong-jin shouted in a voice mixed with irritation and swearing urging the team members.

 

“These are regular users randomly selected except for one DEX! We’re all fucking shit, but what will people think of us if we lose because of one person? Are you out of your mind?”

His angry shouts made the teammates’ shoulders shrink, but there was no way to change the atmosphere of the already losing game.

 

“Seong, Seong-jin! The gap is already wide… Even if we continue the engagement here perhaps we can only hold out.”

 

“This bitch! Won’t you shut up? Are you talking nonsense when you haven’t finished anywhere?”

 

Did the team member’s words touch Seong-jin’s heart? He slammed the keyboard violently and glared at the teammate who had said that with a look that would prey on him.

 

“If I grabbed you guys by the collar and dragged them up to the top, wouldn’t they get better at least a little? How did you create a situation like this because you couldn’t even serve one person properly?”

 

“What? Hey! Seongjin Lee! Did you say everything?”

 

As if his pride was hurt by Sungjin’s words, another team member threw off his headset and shouted.

 

“Even if you hadn’t challenged DEX to decide who was the best in the world in the first place, this situation wouldn’t have come. What are you blaming your teammates for when you played and lost?”

 

“This bastard…!”

“Hey kids, why are you doing this all of a sudden? The game isn’t over yet.”


The KTS team has become a mess with Seong-jin savagely grabbing his teammates by the collar and the people who are stopping him. Jaeyoung, unaware of the situation, silently tapped the keyboard and led the game to a complete victory.

 

[The Nexus has been destroyed]

 

[Blue Team, Win!]

 

-and… Did you really beat this team?

 

-Crazy

 

-The other four must have really enjoyed the bus ride.

 

-Bus Driver level?

The KTS team’s Nexus was destroyed and the users who watched them lose live were shocked and soon started to show conflicting reactions.

 

-As expected of DEX! I thought he would win

 

-I love you, Dex hyung

 

With admirers of DEX taking over the game almost single-handedly and winning.

 

-KTS must be really embarrassed. They say that they are the world’s number one team.

 

-Seongjin challenged DEX in every broadcast interview and he was punished in the end, right?”

 

-Hahahha, I’m going to keep my mouth shut now. Doesn’t it cause a fight just by playing with DEX.

 

As people who mock the KTS team that failed to beat a single person and lost mercilessly.

 

However, Jaeyoung left a chat in the game waiting room with an expression as if he was not impressed.

 

[You seem to have had a lot of fun with the last game. Everyone has fun so far]

 

-???

 

-Last game? You mean today is the end?

 

People who saw Jaeyoung’s message stopped thinking for a moment. However, before anyone could ask, Jaeyoung said what he had to say before ending the connection.

 

[As of today, I will close my League of Legends Account. Have fun everyone. I’ll go now.]

 

-Now wait, are you really leaving?

 

-Suddenly? All of a sudden? What does that mean?

 

-DEX hyung, what does that mean… Are you joking?”

Seeing the comments from the viewers pouring like mad, Jaeyoung calmly stood up.

 

“I’m going mister. Thank you so much.”

 

The owner of the PC room glanced at Jaeyoung and nodded slightly.

 

“OK. Is today the last?”

 

“Yes, I decided to go to Seoul tomorrow.”

 

At Jaeyoung’s words, the owner of the PC room muttered in an unexpected voice.

 

“The guy I meet who goes straight to this place after school ends up going to college and escaping from this corner of the country. Congratulations, boy.”

 

“Still, I’ll come over to play once in a while during vacation.”

 

As if they had grown fond of seeing each other’s faces for three years, the owner of the PC room looked at Jaeyoung with a slightly regretful expression and gave him sincere advice.

 

“Since I went to university, I play games in moderation now. Study hard and succeed.”

 

“Sure”

 

“The moment he opens the door and Jaeyoung is about to leave. Suddenly, as if curious, he shouted behind  Jaeyoung.

 

“Ah, but what is your department?”

 

At that question, Jaeyoung stopped walking, turned his head and smiled at him.

 

“That’s Computer Science.”

 

At Jaeyoung’s last words, the owner of the PC room looked blankly at the doorway he had left for a long time, then let out a deep sigh and muttered.

 

“Sigh… It’s like that terrible game addiction. After all, it's still about computers.”

The owner of the PC room, who was very worried about Jaeyoung’s future, looked around the empty PC room and licked his lips.

 

“Shit! I’m not in a position to worry about anyone else. My business seems to be ruined right away.”

 

Then he turned his gaze back to the TC on one side of the counter. ON TV being aired right now, there was an advertisement for the first virtual reality game that has been heating up the world for a while now.

 

[Are you tired of your old routine?]

 

Beautiful natural scenery that seemed to be real quickly passed by on the TV and a dreamy tone of voice was whispering to him.

 

[Do you want to get another chance in the world of infinite possibilities?]

 

Ads He’d already seen dozens of times. But every time he saw this advertisement, he shuddered with the unknown excitement and curiosity that boiled in his chest.

 

[You are invited to Arcadia, The world of Fantasy.]

 

The world’s first virtual reality, Arcadia.

 

This virtual reality game, which was developed by Ajin Electronics, Argos Corporation, and Silicoff, which is one the world’s leading companies, has been receiving tremendous attention from around the world.

 

“Come to think of it, the release date is just around the corner.”

 

Although the service has already started in the US, the release in Korea was delayed due to the lack of supply of “Dreamer”, a device that allows access to virtual reality.

 

Amid tremendous urging and protests from people, the launch of the service in Korea is finally imminent. However, the Internet was full of play reviews full of rave reviews from American users.

 

-Holy Shit. This is not a game, It’s a new reality!

 

-Thank God I can live in these times.

 

-It’s fucking fun. I can no longer imagine a world without this.

 

Users who read their play reviews have been waiting for the official service launch in Korea until now in anticipation of lamentation.

 

“Should I rather close the PC room and set up a virtual reality room?”

 

Just by looking at people’s reactions on the Internet, it was predictable that Arcadia would completely dominate the game industry even as a person who runs a PC room in a small village.

 

It was foretold that a great revolution would take place not only in PC rooms but also in the gaming industry as a whole. He, too, was now at a crossroads of choice to keep pace with the changing times.

 

“Eh. All right, all right. How much does it cost to bring in the new devices?”

 

It is a small rural town with less than 1,000 students. He shook his head and murmured, thinking that it would be difficult to break even if he poured out his loans and changed new devices in such a place.

 

That’s how the owner of the PC room dazedly immersed himself in the TV again. Only the sound of the TV echoed in the PC room where no one came.

 

***

 

After arriving in Seoul, Jaeyoung immediately went to the rented house he had looked for in advance around the school. Then he started talking to the curly looking grandmother.

 

“Let’s see… Your name is Jaeyoung Yoon, right?

 

“Yes. That’s right.”

 

“Aye, a tall looking friend. Are you attending a university near here?”

 

“Yes. I entered Seomin University this year.”

At those words, the landlord grandmother looked at him blanked and said

 

“I guess you didn’t study as much as you thought? You know it’s a bad school there…”

 

It may sound a bit unpleasant, but Jaeyoung nodded casually.

 

“I wasn’t very interested in studying, so I did it in moderation.

 

At that, the grandmother nodded as if she was not interested in continuing.

 

“These days, people say that it is not a world where people live by studying only. Anyway, the monthly rent here is 30, and the facilities are… It’s honestly not that good.”

 

“Does not matter. I’ll do it here.”

 

Significantly cheaper price compared to studios in the vicinity of the university. However, it seemed that decades had already passed, and when looking at the facilities in the room, none of which were in good condition, the price was on the expensive side. So the grandmother, who had not been able to find a tenant for a long time, said with a bright smile to Jaeyoung and nodded her head.

 

“It’s good that the young man is okay with it. Then I’ll be going, so if you have any questions, feel free to call me.”

 

After the grandmother closed the door, Jaeyoung sat down in the small room for a while and looked around. He continued to fidget with his cellphone as if he was waiting for something, and not long after someone started knocking on the front door.

“I am from Arcadia. Jaeyoung Yoon, Are you there?”

 

Jaeyoung opened the door as if he had been waiting for those words. He answered and faced the two men carrying huge boxes.

 

“Yes, I am Jaeyoung Yoon”

 

“We are here to install the equipment that you’ve ordered. Where can I install it?”

 

In response to the sweaty frowning man asking as if the weight was unbearable, Jaeyoung led them inside and pointed

To one side of the empty room.

 

“Please install it over here.”

 

“Yes, All right. Then could you fill out these papers while we do the Installation work?”

 

While the staff who put down the box with a heavy sound was busy working on something, Jaeyoung started filling out the documents they handed over.

 

[Virtual reality access device, High-End Capsule Dreamer Installment Contract.]

 

Unlike entry-level devices, it is a High-End device that boasts a tremendous price of 30 million won. However, despite the terrifying price. Jaeyoung did the job without hesitation.

 

While filling out the documents for a while, as if the installation work was almost finished, an employee approached Jaeyoung and briefly checked the documents.

 

“You are purchasing a device with a 36-month installment plan, and it is possible to terminate the contract in the middle up to 3 months in advance. Refunds are not possible due to a simple change of mind. The maximum warranty period is two years.”

 

“How much do you have to pay each month?”

 

“Hmmm… In the case of the customer, it seems that the monthly fee will be about 920,000 won.”

 

At the employee’s words, Jaeyoung thought about something for a moment, then muttered to himself in a small voice.

 

“Hmm.. Then I can last up to six months.”

 

“Yes, customer?”

 

“It’s nothing. Is the installation complete?”

 

“Ah! Yes, Now you should be able to use it without any problems.”

 

“Thank you”

 

Jaeyoung handed over the completed documents to the staff and couldn’t take his eyes off the luxurious looking capsule installed in the room.

 

“For customers who purchase High-End devices, we are providing a 3-month free service of Virtual Reality Arcadia. Please refer to this point and hope to use it a lot in the future. Have a nice day.”

 

Seeing Jaeyoung blankly looking at the capsule, the staff left with slightly proud expressions. Jaeyoung with an expression as if possessed by something, entered the capsule and operated the device.

 

Wei Ying

 

Hearing the high-pitched sound in his ears, Jaeyoung heard the dreamy tone of a voice and the feeling of falling asleep in an instant.

 

[Welcome to Arcadia, The World of Fantasy]

 

Monstrous situational judgment and physical genius.

 

One person Army.

 

The Invincible.

 

The hermit in the veil.

 

League of Legends Unofficial World Ranking #1, DEX

 

Jaeyoung, who swept the computer game world amidst the admiration and curiosity of countless people, stepped into a new world.

 

Arcadia, The world’s first virtual reality game.

 

0