Chapter 6 – Past (6)
657 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“…I need you to explain yourself, uncle.”

Stella stood right in front of Viscount Lemaire alongside Linda who was still in disbelief after learning about Ophelia and Viscount’s secret arrangement. The young duchess confronted him with the contents of Ophelia’s diary which revealed his connection with her the past three years. No one was aware of this, including Linda. She couldn’t believe what she heard, and she begged her father to explain himself as well.

“So, you’re saying that secret informant that you mentioned before is Lady Ophelia this entire time??”

“That’s correct. It is because Lady Ophelia made an official contract with our Silent Night guild, not in the name of Lemaire Company. As the current boss, I keep my client’s information confidential.”

He calmly explained how the young Chevalier lady approached him as his client and they signed an official contract to work together. It was the Silent Night guild’s rules to keep all their client’s information and contract confidential unconditionally. Their relationship was strictly business, and he respected her personal request not to share this secret with Stella at all costs.

“It is Lady Ophelia’s wish herself. She doesn’t want you to find out about this and that’s why I did not speak of it even after our agreement officially ended.”

“Is that the reason why you sabotage all of Emily’s letters to me?”

“…That’s correct. I’m quite surprised her maid tried to reach out to you. Since Lady Ophelia is one of my respected clients, I still wish to respect her decision to keep it a secret.”

He explained that he planned to meet up with Emily later to bring the two snow leopards to Stella, but unexpectedly the duchess met with her first and that led to this conversation they were having. He sighed and realized he couldn’t hide it from Stella any longer as she had learned too much about Ophelia’s secrets. The duchess initially came in with doubts about Viscount Lemaire, but then he managed to explain everything professionally. He spoke highly of Ophelia as she was perhaps one of the most persevering nobles he ever encountered in his life. For such a young age, the pink-haired omega showed exceptional intelligence and maturity, which were rare qualities to find among nobles nowadays.    

“Initially I do have doubts about her since she is Marquis’s daughter. However, time eventually proved to me that I was wrong. I must say, I truly commend her courage and perseverance. She never once showed hesitation to bring an end to her own family – it if means to help you become the Duchess of Northland.”

“…”

Should she be happy to hear that? Stella never asked for this, but why would Ophelia go to this extent just to help her though? Linda was confused and in disbelief just like Stella when she heard the truth for the first time. Years she was convinced that the Chevalier omega was her enemy who constantly abuse her soulmate and now turned out to be helping them from the shadows. She understood why her father wouldn’t tell them because it was client confidentiality, but it saddened her that she misunderstood the pink-haired omega. Linda wouldn’t deny she had been thinking and talking negatively of them this entire time, and now she felt like a fool for not seeing the whole picture before casting her judgment. Perhaps this was how Stella was feeling right now as well. 

“Rest assured, Duchess. As she’s our VIP client, I’ve made sure that Lady Ophelia and her younger brother would have a peaceful life in the rural areas without any difficulties.”

Viscount knew how righteous and candid the young duchess was, just like her parents. Thus, he offered Stella that if she wished to return her favor in secret then he was more than willing to send them over to them on her behalf. After all, it was Ophelia’s wish to cut ties with aristocratic life and society for good. This also meant that the pink-haired omega did not wish to see Stella again as well.

“I hope you’ll also respect her decision as well, duchess. Lady Ophelia made it clear to me that she doesn’t want to see you again after everything ended and she wished for your happiness.”

“…”

Everything he said made perfect sense and it would be easy to persuade people to agree with him. If it was Stella before she read Ophelia’s diary and met Emily, she would easily believe his reasoning without hesitation. The young duchess noticed something about his words as if the viscount was convincing Stella not to go see Ophelia.

“What town is she residing in at the moment?”

“I’m afraid I couldn’t disclose that information. You’ll try to go see her yourself, correct?”

As the conversation continued, the more Stella couldn’t shake this feeling that the Viscount was using his wise words to psychologically convince her to give up on the idea of meeting the pink-haired omega. However, he wasn’t aware that Stella knew where she was since it was mentioned in the diary. 

“You don’t trust me, Viscount?”

“Your candid and feisty personalities are just like your parents, so I have a feeling you’ll try to find her if you know where she is.”

“It is Longdale, isn’t it?”

Stella tested the water to see his reaction, and it was as she expected. Viscount was caught off guard for a split second before he quickly concealed his expression once again. He certainly didn’t expect the young duchess to know where Ophelia resided. He sighed and shook his head and didn’t give up on persuading her.

“I see. I’ve figured out where she was…but I hope you will at least respect her decision. You need to learn that not everyone prefers your way. There would be some people that wouldn’t wish to meet individuals related to their past after they had officially moved on. However, I don’t blame you for your honest approach.”

“You seemed so confident that she doesn’t want to see me.”

“Lady Ophelia told me herself before she departed to Longdale.”

He replied with confidence, and he was right about it. Not everyone would want to meet people from their past after they had moved on from it already. However, this didn’t sit right with her at all. After the older omega forced all those things on her, Stella at least had that right to demand an explanation from her whether she liked it or not.

“…I’m still going to meet her no matter what. She can’t just expect me to accept her sacrifice and walk away without letting me say a word.”

This conversation solidified her decision to confront Ophelia in the near future. If her final decision was to cut ties with her completely, then she’ll respect her decision. She didn’t want to believe the words of others unless she heard those words coming out from Ophelia’s lips herself. On the other hand, Viscount looked back at her and sighed. It was a mix of disappointment with a tint of nostalgia. Stella truly reminded him of his dear old friend that was no longer with them.

“Like father like daughter…you truly took after his naïve honesty.”

“I do appreciate your guidance, Viscount. But if she doesn’t want to see my face ever again, I should be hearing that from her instead.”

Linda smiled and nodded in agreement. Even though she was still in shock about Ophelia, she agreed with her fiancé that she should meet with the pink-haired omega and resolve this ambiguity once and for all. Her father may call this naivety, but Linda believed that it was her straightforwardness that made many people love and adore Stella. The viscount only sighed and commented on how they were too young and naïve to understand how cruel the world could be.

“…There’s one thing I never told you, Stella, and that is my regret that night that I chose to believe your father instead of my gut feeling.”

Before the tragedy struck, Viscount Henry already had his suspicions about Duchess Yvette after she discovered Duke Cedric’s will by accident. She was extremely unhappy with how he chose Stella rather than their son, Anthony, to become the next ruler. Ever since then, there was massive tension within the family between everyone in the family and this created a rift between most of them. Viscount Henry warned his dear friend of the duchess’s suspicious behaviors and actions with Marquis Chevalier, but the Duke chose to believe in his wife and their good old friend Hugh Chevalier. He only said good things about his wife, about how she sacrificed a lot of things for Albrecht’s sake when she married him. Back then, Viscount chose to believe in his best friend rather than his gut feelings…and that was one of the biggest mistakes of his life.

“Ever since Cedric passed away, I vowed to myself that I will do everything it takes to protect you, his beloved daughter, and the Albrecht family at all costs.”

“…!”

As they were in the middle of the conversation, her entire body felt so weak that she was forced to get done on her knees. Stella was confused, it was as if someone just drained all the strength out of her body. What’s more, was that Viscount seemed to be the one being this as well.

“I won’t let the past repeat itself again. You’re like another daughter to me, Stella. That’s why you do not need to understand me and hate me all you want.”

“Father! What have you done to her??”

Viscount Lemaire had drugged the young duchess with Silent Night’s special paralysis concoction. It wasn’t designed to be harmful and would only temporarily weaken her for a while. Stella glared up at him as he tried to stop her from meeting Ophelia at all costs.

“U-Uncle…why…?”

“It is Lemaire’s sacred duty to safeguard you and the Albrecht family. You should forget about that young Chevalier as she’s not someone to be trusted.”

Even though time should’ve proved Ophelia’s sincerity, Viscount Lemaire stood firm to the notion that the bloodline of Chevalier could never be trusted no matter what. It wasn’t only Stella that disagreed with him, but also Linda as well. It was as expected from the duchess’s soulmate, they fundamentally shared the same core personalities, and that was being a hopeful optimist.

“I do not believe that not everyone is evil as you assume to be! You saw it yourself! Three years she dedicated herself to help us…does that tell you she’s as wicked as you painted her to be?”

Viscount sighed at his daughter’s naivety and optimism. Then again, he did not blame her for that because she never experienced the pain of loss like him. Duke Cedric was betrayed by his wife and dear old friend who had been by his side for over a decade. Nevertheless, both were able to take his life so casually, just for fame and power.

“Your naivety will not protect anyone or anything! As you are a Lemaire and soon to become part of the Albrecht family, it’s your duty to prioritize the longevity of the family.”

“That’s not your decision to decide for me.”

Stella tightened her fist as she glared with eyes mixed with disappointment and anger. Her bitter-scented pheromones oozed out, but it did not affect the Viscount since he was a beta. The old man was expecting that reaction from the young duchess and casually leaned back against his study table as he finally revealed his truth.

“As the Chevalier once showed no fear to betray and murder your father, what makes you think the Chevalier bloodline would not commit treason once again?”

He admitted that Ophelia was a good girl and a noble heart, but she was unlucky to be born a Chevalier. Even though she may not have any resentment towards them now, what about her future children and grandchildren? They may one day step up to power and take revenge against Albrecht for ending Chevalier’s long legacy.

“The Silent Night is the blade that will cut down your enemies at all costs, duchess. I understand that you have sympathy for Lady Ophelia because of the coping mechanism.”

“I appreciate your input…but I know what I’m doing, and I can make my own judgments.”

He believed the three years of oppression made the young duchess develop a coping mechanism and form a psychological connection with her captor. Thus, if Stella found out the truth, she would certainly forgive and sympathize with the Chevaliers. To ensure the safety of Albrecht and Northland, the Silent Night must eliminate all potential threats even if it means to make a sacrifice. 

“I know you’ll say that. So, I decided to take the matter into my hands instead.”

“F-Father, don’t tell me you…”

“Even though you leave now, it would be too late. I believe my men will soon arrive at Longdale by tomorrow morning.”

Stella’s heart dropped and felt the cold chills run down her spine. The Viscount dispatched his elite assassins and mercenaries to Longdale to clean up the last remaining threat to the family. It was within his plan to eliminate them soon, but he didn’t expect Stella to find out the truth and meet with Emily at Dalry. The Viscount believed the duchess did not receive the letters from the maid since he made sure to burn all of them.

“That was a risky take, but I commend them for leaving the letter at the manor months beforehand as they anticipated this would happen.”

The Viscount had taken precautions and sent his subordinates to follow the duchess closely. That was why he knew about Stella’s visit to the manor and her meeting with Emily at Dalry. Ever since the maid tried to send letters to the duchess, he made arrangements to eliminate them before the young duchess would find out the truth. Certain things were best not known and remained in the dark for eternity. He didn’t intend to eliminate only the two remaining Chevalier siblings, but Emily as well. Unfortunately, Stella met with her a couple of weeks before he could follow through with his plan, so he had to make a change in plans to keep her alive.  

“Father! Why must you go to this extent?! Are you really going to kill innocent lives??”

“It is truly unfortunate for them to be born as a Chevalier or associated closely with them. One day, you two will understand that this is necessary.”

Nothing that they could say that would convince the Viscount anymore and Linda couldn’t help but feel utterly hopeless. The young duchess listened to the entire conversation in silence, and she was forced to make her decision after she tried to be as optimistic as she could. She sighed and her icy blue eyes reflected how disappointed and upset she was.

“…I really did hope things wouldn’t turn out this way at all.”

As the Viscount believed this was the end of their conversation, he heard a commotion downstairs and his subordinates barged into the room. As he was just about to inform, they were being attacked by Stella’s subordinates, two large leopards tackled from behind and went up to Stella’s side. They growled at the Viscount and alarmed his men to unsheathe their weapons as well. Her subordinates finally arrived right after and had their swords facing towards Lemaire’s guards and the tension built up in the room.

“I think there’s nothing for us to say to each other, Viscount.”

The young duchess slowly stood up and the old man noticed the blood trickling down her hand. She secretly cut herself during their conversation and used the scent of blood to alarm her snow leopards that were hiding in the carriage. What surprised him more was the fact Stella was able to move freely and no no longer in paralysis when it should’ve lasted for 12 hours. The only explanation was that she took the antidote beforehand from someone within their guild…or a member of the Lemaire family.

Before this meeting, Stella shared her suspicions of the Viscount with Linda and was initially skeptical about this. She wholeheartedly believed in her father, but seeing how serious Stella was…she couldn’t decline her request for the antidote. Perhaps it was the soulmate connection, she naturally believed that her fiancé wouldn’t have these suspicions if she did not have a good reason to be. She also hoped that her father would prove Stella’s suspicions wrong. But as she witnessed today, her soulmate was right to be wary of her father. Linda was speechless and never felt this upset and disappointed before in her life.     

“I see… I must commend you for being wary of me, Stella.”

“I prefer to trust you instead. I sincerely hoped that you’ll prove me wrong. Now that I see you will do things your way…I shall do things my way as well.”

She genuinely hoped that things wouldn’t turn out this way and she had nothing to say to him anymore. Linda also left with her since she couldn’t accept her father’s decision to dispose of people they were just wary of. The Viscount watched them leave his manor as he had no reason to stop the young feisty duchess anymore. If she wished to face the truth, then this would be an invaluable lesson for her to learn that kindhearted nature would not protect her from the cruelty of this world.  

 

-

             

“Please…we’re almost there…!”

The sun of the new day was about to rise, and they were so close to reaching Longdale. They rode their best horses through the arduous shortcuts in the forest to get to their destination as soon as possible. Anxiety started to build up and she prayed that she would make it in time to find the siblings. After she left Lemaire’s place, she sent her men to Dalry to keep Emily safe immediately. Stella and several of her people, including Alicia and Linda, rode their horses through the shortcuts along the forest and mountains. They turned a 2-day trip into less than 24 hours, which was a massive feat. They might make it in time. Stella hoped that even though Lemaire’s men found them, they would stay safe as long as possible until they arrived.

 

–– On my birthday, I broke the bracelet Stella gifted me. I had to. I must give her a reason to see the Chevaliers as her enemy. The earlier she puts her guard up, the higher the chance she’ll survive here ––

 

They arrived at Longdale in the late morning and swiftly headed towards the house that they pointed her to. Upon seeing the house in her field of vision, the entrance was ajar. Was she too late? It made Stella even more anxious, and she hopped down the horse before sprinting up to the entrance. Others followed her from behind and closely so that they don’t lose sight of Stella.

 

–– I told Emily to retrieve the broken bracelet for me. Perhaps I can find a way to repair them later. I remembered her expression when I threw it onto the floor, my actions hurt her badly…and it pains me immensely too ––

 

               

“Ophelia—!!”

The alpha exclaimed her name loud and clear, but there was no response. What made her even more anxious was the fact this place was a mess. It was most likely trashed by Lemaire’s men as they were searching for the siblings. This place certainly belonged to Ophelia because she could smell that sweet lavender pheromone in the air, but it was rather faint. It must’ve been quite some time ago and she had no time to lose. Every second could determine whether they were alive or dead.

 

–– This was the only gift that Stella ever gave me out of genuine goodwill. So, I will try to fix the bracelet. It’s very pretty and I love it ––

 

They were lucky to arrest and restrain several of Lemaire’s mercenaries as they were bringing in barrels of oil to burn down the house. They would’ve put up more of a fight but not against the Duchess and Viscount’s daughter, they immediately surrendered and were all tied up by the knights. Stella had no patience with them, and her overpowering rotten pinewood smell diffused into the air. Even though betas were not sensitive to alpha’s pheromones, they could feel Stella’s murderous aura through her cold blue eyes.

“Tell me, where are they?”

“U-Uh…”

The mercenaries exchanged glances with each other for a moment before they reluctantly told them that the Chevalier siblings ran into the woods and the assassins were after them. Their duty was to burn the house down to destroy all traces of them. Alicia and Linda stayed back with several knights to keep an eye on them while Stella and the remaining knights followed the footprints that led them deeper into the woods…

Whatever she witnessed in that forest had left a permanent scar in Stella’s heart forever. Ever since she came out from the forest with Ophelia’s and Matteo’s lifeless bodies, she never smiled again.  

 

-

 

It was roughly a month after that incident at Longdale.

Many things changed soon after they came back. Stella decided to put her wedding on hold indefinitely due to this incident and even blatantly refused to speak to Viscount Lemaire on all occasions. Perhaps he certainly didn’t expect this turn of events since never once had they witnessed an alpha refuse to marry their soulmate. Even though Linda was upset about this and felt like the deceased omega took her fiancé’s attention away, she had no right to say anything. After all, it was her father that ordered his men to kill two innocent siblings unjustly. Nevertheless, Linda wholeheartedly understood what Stella was emotionally going through, and she needed all the time and support to go past this tragedy.

“I’m sorry about this, Linda. But I do not want Viscount Henry to have things his way.”

“I understand. I don’t agree with what he did to Ophelia and Matteo as well…”

Words spread among the knights about how horrifying their bodies were, especially for Matteo. He was just a young alpha boy who fought a group of professional mercenaries alone to let Ophelia escape. There were many deep gashes all over his body, and half of his face and neck were slashed, which most likely was the finishing blow that ended his life. It was obvious he had a very painful death as most likely he bled to death with the sword still in his hand. As for Ophelia, she wasn’t in a gruesome state like Matteo. Most likely she died from Lemaire’s special deadly poison, but her heart was pierced to confirm her death.

Even though the Viscount underestimated the influence of the pink-haired noble that had on the young duchess, he believed that she would eventually move on over time. He decided to be patient and wait until Stella was ready to speak to him again.

Everything seemed to be back to normal, but not for the young duchess.

Within the Chevalier’s land, there was this divine ground located in the center as it was surrounded by a water canal. For as long as she remembered, Stella was always in awe of the beauty of the shrine and garden from a distance but never once stepped inside there. The Somnus Garden was the special cemetery where only the Chevalier nobles would rest in peace and undisturbed within the divine blessings of the shrine.

On the weekends, Stella would make time to visit the Somnus Garden with her two snow leopards. Linda and Blake would always accompany the young alpha since they were extremely worried about her mental health. Ever since she brought back Ophelia and Matteo’s bodies and gave them a proper burial, they never saw a smile on her face again.

 

–– The lapidary told me it cannot be fixed, but he suggested that I reuse the crystals and make them into a pendant instead. It’s a perfect solution, no one will realize it and I can keep the only gift from Stella close to me ––

 

Nix and Lux whimpered and stayed close to the tombstones as they mourned for their two favorite humans that were no longer with them. Stella gently placed the flowers on their graves and paid her respects before she let out a long exhale.

“Ophelia, I finished reading your diary and…I know about everything you’ve done for me and others. Also, I would like to return this to you.”

She placed down the blue handmade talisman and a star necklace she wore at her last dying moment. It was a simple yet elegant star pendant made of lavender-colored crystal, but the meaning it carried evoked a mix of emotions from within Stella’s heart.

 

–– I asked them to make them turn into a star pendant. it is classic and it’s the meaning of Stella too. I will always remember it is from her. If I wore it every day, would she notice it? I hope she doesn’t. It’s better she doesn’t recognize it ––

 

This necklace was custom-made from Stella’s gift on her 17th birthday. She kept it close to her ever since then until now and Stella failed to recognize it even though she had seen it multiple times in the past. Resentment and hatred blinded her from seeing all these clues that she could’ve easily noticed.

“This protective talisman will keep you safe in the next life. Don’t lose it this time, okay?”

She exhaled for the nth time with a stoic expression. Many times that she visited she would always ask questions to the tombstone even though she knew she would never get her answers. It was a unique combination of anger and sympathy.  The young duchess was angry at how she could barely find any fault in Ophelia’s plan. She orchestrated everything and indirectly manipulated Stella in every kind of way without considering her feelings even though it was out of good intentions. However, her plan would’ve been flawless and perfect if Viscount Lemaire hadn’t decided to dispose of her after their contract was over.

Just as Stella was used by her…Ophelia was also used by Viscount Lemaire.

Meanwhile, Linda and Blake watched over the black-haired alpha from a distance with worry. The orange-haired fiancé remembered clearly when Stella came out from the forest carrying Ophelia in her arms. The listless pink-haired omega was wrapped in her black overcoat, and she couldn’t care less if her body and clothes were stained with her blood. Her eyes were red from the crying and trails of tears on her cheeks were still evident, but her expression was stern and cold. To her, it felt as if Stella’s smile died on the same day together with Ophelia and Matteo.

“Stella, I believe it’s time we should get going with our agenda today.”

Blake called her little sister since today they had a mission to enter the divine shrine. The Chevalier family possessed one of the three divine artifacts of Northland, which was the Jeweled Egg of Abundance. The divine relic had a royal blue color with meticulous golden designs of a double fish to represent abundance and unity. As the family guarded the artifact since the beginning of Northland’s establishment, the family was blessed with extraordinary fortune and wealth throughout these past centuries. As the Chevaliers were no more, it was the duchess’s duty to temporarily hold onto the divine relic until it was decided which family would become the next guardian. Also, Marquis Chaplin came as a witness to ensure everything proceeded smoothly.

The way to break the seal of the divine relic was to receive special permission from the imperial family. Thus, it took some time to submit their official request and for them to process it. After they got the permission they needed, the only job left for the duchess was to retrieve the artifact. Since only the rulers of each land and the imperial family could touch the artifact without any backlash, the responsibility fell upon Stella to be the one to transport it directly.

“How does it feel, Stella?”

Blake questioned her out of curiosity and Stella felt surprisingly normal. Perhaps everyone was expecting some kind of reaction, but it was an ordinary jeweled egg in the duchess’s hand. Before they left, Stella visited Ophelia one last time and picked up her leopards that were sleeping next to the tombstones. It was just like any other time she bid farewell to her with this heavy grief in her heart, and then the egg artifact began resonating with her emotions.  

–– Upstream against the current flow of time ––

“—!?”

She heard her voice echoing from within her head, but she knew it wasn’t her thoughts. It felt as if something was peeking and exposing her deepest desires. It was the divine artifact that was speaking directly into her head.

–– Reversal of butterfly effect ––

Memories of the past flashed across her mind like a series of screenshots starting from the present and going back in time. Her head was throbbing in great pain before she was forced to kneel. Her ears were ringing loudly, and she couldn’t hear others calling for her.

–– An equivalent exchange ––

“Stella! Are you okay? Hey, Stella!”        

Blake and Linda rushed up to her, but the duchess was too distracted by these intrusive voices. What crept her out was the fact it was her voice speaking to her. Towards the end, she saw herself crying bitterly when she found Ophelia in the woods and carried the omega’s lifeless body in her arms tenderly with overwhelming grief.

–– Birth of Life is paid with Death of life ––

There was once she saw Ophelia’s real smile in that forest when Stella tried to apologize to her, and she just laughed at her honesty. It was such a short transitory moment, and it was too late for her to realize that it was the real Ophelia she saw that day. Why did the divine artifact make her recall memories of the deceased pink-haired omega? Nevertheless, that warm smile on her face only elicited more pain for the young duchess. That piece of memory was what broke her down into tears.

“…!”     

The alpha caught her breath and wiped her tears away. She turned to Linda and Blake that were extremely worried about her and she reassured them that she was fine. They all headed back together and nothing happened after that. However, Stella felt the urge to figure out more about this divine jeweled egg. She began going through all the confidential files in the office and finally found several clues about it.

The Divine Egg of Abundance. Receiving immeasurable wealth and fortune from the divine blessing was given as its true powers were only known to very few people. It could grant the user the power to go back to the past and change the course of the timeline with an equivalent exchange in return. It was the Chevalier’s true mission to safeguard this artifact from those who desired its powers.

“The power to go back in time…?”

The duchess recalled the words she heard when she held the relic, and everything started to come together. It must’ve resonated with her guilt and the desire to save Ophelia if she were to have another chance. As she researched further, she found old records of the previous users, which included the first Albrecht ruler of Northland. Her ancestor proclaimed that he went back in time and saved Northland from unforeseen disasters, which allowed them to prosper until today. However, no one would ever know if any of these proclaimed users traveled from the future or not. 

“Is that even possible? It all sounds like a fairy tale to go back in time and—”

Ophelia’s smile flashed across her mind, and she felt the clenching twist in her heart. Thanks to that divine artifact, it made her recall one of the most painful memories she had. She often tormented herself with these thoughts about all the possibilities that she could’ve done. If she had acted differently, perhaps Matteo and Ophelia would still be alive with her right now. 

“…”

The idea of going back in the past was tempting, which made the egg relic speak to her directly. The old memories between her and Ophelia, both good and bad ones, kept coming back to her. As days went by, Stella had been even more interested in how to use the jeweled egg. She went through the secret records, but it was either destroyed or never recorded for some unknown reason.  

The only way to find out was to touch that artifact once again, and she may gain clues to the price that must be paid. Without letting others know, Stella secretly entered the shrine that stored the artifact and touched it once again. As she expected, it resonated with her and one of the fish’s eyes glowed in a beautiful green shade.  

“—!”

It was as if the jeweled egg knew and gave answers to what the duchess was looking for. After she remained still for a while and finally uncovered the method to use the relic as well as the price must pay. The ultimate question was…what would she do from now?

She took a couple of days to process everything that she learned and questioned her decision numerous times. In the end, she came to the same conclusion and realized that she could no longer turn back anymore. The only path for her was to go forward or else she would be living her life with these regrets until her last dying breath. Thus, the day she made her decision was the same day Stella left the Albrecht mansion with the jeweled egg in her hand in the middle of the night.

 

-

 

It had a completely different atmosphere in the Somnus Garden in the middle of the night. The surface of the water reflected the bright light of the full moon which lightened up the garden. She initially planned to come alone on her horse, but the two snow leopards wouldn’t let her out of their sight. She had no choice but to bring them with her to Ophelia’s grave once again.  

“I hope you won’t mind if I borrow this for a moment.”

She paused for a short moment before her hand reached out to the old blue talisman. As the full moon shone brightly above her head, it was about time for her to proceed with her plan. Once again, she patted and hugged Nix and Lux for one last time since she wouldn’t see them anytime soon.

“I’ll definitely miss you two rascals and I promise I’ll find you two again…”

They purred and growled gently before the duchess left them by the sibling’s grave. She walked into the divine shrine with the artifact in one hand and Ophelia’s charm in another. She knew exactly what she had to do as the divine jeweled egg showed her what must be done to grant her wish.

–– Driven by deepest selfish desires ––

The relic resonated and glowed faintly. Stella cut her palm and soaked the talisman with her blood as part of the offering. This was the only connection between her and the pink-haired noble when both were being as truest with themselves and to each other. Her motive to go back was very selfish yet so simple, which fitted Stella’s personality well. No matter how much she tried, she could never forgive Ophelia for what she had done.

“…Do you know how much I’m so angry at you? It’s so much that I’ll go back just to give you an earful about everything you’ve done.”

–– An equivalent exchange ––

The price she was willing to pay was her prosperous future in this timeline. This was a future Ophelia secured for her – the best possible future abundant with prosperity, happiness, and security. Despite the hardships she went through with the Chevalier, she technically lost no one important to her aside from her father. Linda, Blake, Alicia, and her two leopards were safe and unharmed, all because of Ophelia. All the people that committed felonies against them were brought to justice and received the punishment they deserved. However, she did not want this future built on top of Ophelia’s sacrifice, blood, and death. Despite it may be the best possible future for Stella, she will return it and forge her own future that she wanted instead.  

“…This is my life and I decide what is the best thing for me. I won’t accept this future you secured, because if I do then it’s no different from accepting the fact that I’m just your puppet.”

–– Against the upstream to the origin of the prologue ––

What the young prideful alpha hated the most was having others decide what was best for her, like how Ophelia and Viscount Lemaire had done. She didn’t mind the consequences, whether it was good or bad, if the feisty duchess was the one that made that choice herself.

–– Are you certain you will not regret this decision? ––

The young duchess stood in front of the altar while basking in the moonlight from above. As the jeweled egg gradually opened its lid, Stella watched the blood-soaked talisman in her hand levitate into the artifact before it closed. Once received Stella’s offering, it began pulsating and she felt a mysterious force flowing into her body through her hand. For the first time, she did not hear a voice, but she realized she was being questioned by the artifact itself. It may be due to her candidness and stubbornness; she had no tint of hesitation in her heart.  

She experienced tunnel vision before her senses disconnected from her surroundings. It felt as if she dropped into this bottomless sea of darkness. Stella saw her recent memories as they gradually rewound into the past. It kept going back further and further until she remembered what Ophelia once said in the forest.  

“I know, you’re just doing what you believe is the right thing to do.”

For some reason, those words resonated personally with her. Stella let out a sigh as the corner of her lips lifted. Back then, she didn’t take her words seriously but as she had a chance to look back at it now, it was infuriating that the cunning omega knew about her far too well.

“…You’re right, Ophelia. I’m just doing what I believe is the right thing to do. That’s how I live my life with no regrets.”

–– Birth of Life is paid with Death of life ––

The slideshow of memories kept rolling backward to where everything began three years ago. She was on her way to the Chevalier manor after her father’s sudden death and her mother was exiled from the family. This time, she won’t let the older omega do as she pleased and refused to be used by her again. The ending that Stella desired was the path that neither one of them had to sacrifice for anyone. Stella will prevent her tragic ending, and this would be her way to pay back Ophelia.

 

 

 She had no idea how long she had been closed off in this darkness.

She lost her sense of time. One minute it felt like a brink of a moment, and the next minute it felt like an eternity. Was she awake or was she dreaming? She couldn’t say for sure at this point.

The silence was ringing loudly…and she began hearing faint noises from a distance.

It was getting closer and clearer to her. However, she still couldn’t open her eyes or sense her surroundings. Over time, the noises of the carriage wheels were loud enough to wake her up. The vivid past felt like a long dream, she remembered every single detail and feeling she had once experienced. Many anguishes, happiness, and regrets still lingered in her heart. The silhouette of the pink-haired woman constantly appeared in her memories. She was the reason Stella was sitting right here.

“We have arrived, Lady Stella.”

“…!”

The servant sitting opposite her notified their arrival before the carriage door opened. Without any words, she stepped out of the carriage and was greeted with the bright light that almost blinded her clear blue eyes. She could feel a drastic change in her body. She no longer had the athletic physique that she worked hard anymore and felt much weaker and smaller.

“I really…came back into the past?”

She could feel the heat from the sunlight, the weight of her body, and the movement of the muscle fibers.  It all felt too real to deny that this was just a dream. It must’ve meant that the legend was real. Stella had truly traveled back in time to when she was a 15-year-old teenager.   

Back to the first day she arrived at the Chevalier manor – to the beginning of their story.

22