Chapter 2.4
2.1k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Two (Part 4 of 4)

'Mistress, how can you be in the mood to paint?' Su Wu asked.

Su Wu returned to the west guest chamber and she couldn't believe mistress was leisurely painting.

'Did something happen?' Tao Tu Yun asked.

'Lady Li's been shadowing second master the last few days,' Su Wu said. 'Mistress why are you still painting?'

Su Wu found it strange why the last few days Li Tai Fang didn't look for mistress to cause trouble. But she didn't think Li Tai Fang used opportunities to get closer to Tao Fang Ao. What if Tao Fang Ao fall for Li Tai Fang? What would happen to mistress?

'Su Wu, take a look, what do you think of the flower I painted?' Tao Tu Yun asked.

Tao Tu Yun showed her painting to Su Wu.

'Mistress... is this me?' Su Wu asked. 'Mistress, can you give this painting to me?'

Su Wu's eyes were bright and she was smiling happily while looking closely at mistress' painting of her. In the past mistress usually painted flowers and landscapes, she didn't think mistress could paint replica portraits.

'I painted a portrait of you to give to you,' Tao Tu Yun said.

Tao Tu Yun raised her chin and compared the painting with Su Wu. She wasn't surprised the painting resembled Su Wu even if she painted from memory, because she was familiar with Su Wu's features.

'Thank you mistress,' Su Wu said.

Su Wu was temporarily distracted by the portrait of herself. Then she remembered why she was worried for mistress and put the portrait on a table.

'Mistress, did you hear what I said to you before?' Su Wu asked.

Tao Tu Yun sighed, stood and stepped to the window. The wind was swaying the grass and trees.

'Su Wu, did you forget why we came to the Tao Manor?' Tao Tu Yun asked. 'We're only staying here until Tao Fang Ao finds out the truth. Then we can honourably leave the Tao Manor. I'm not interested about how Lady Li and Tao Fang Ao's relationship is progressing.'

'Even if that is true, we can't let that thief benefit by deceiving other people,' Su Wu said. 'I'm scared Tao Fang Ao will fall for that thief over time and it wouldn't matter if he finds out the truth later.'

Su Wu didn't know what else to say, she only knew it wouldn't be fair if Li Tai Fang benefit from Li Tai Fang's lies.

'Isn't that a good outcome?' Tao Tu Yun asked. 'Regardless of who Tao Fang Ao fall for, it's irrelevant to us.'

Tao Tu Yun's eyes looked into the distance and she spoke the truth from her heart.

'But... mistress, do you truly not like him even a little?' Su Wu asked.

Su Wu could only see mistress' lost look and her heart hoped mistress would be happy even if it was for a short period.

'I don't have the right to talk about love in case I mislead another person,' Tao Tu Yun said.

Under different circumstances, Tao Tu Yun wouldn't have come to the Tao Manor to break the betrothal. She knew the right decision was to let go of Tao Fang Ao and let him find his own happiness.

'Mistress...' Su Wu said.

Su Wu felt guilty for broaching the issue mistress didn't want to be reminded of. The heavens wasn't fair. Why did the heavens give mistress such a pitiful fate?

'Su Wu, let's not talk about this anymore,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'Put the portrait somewhere else then take a stroll with me.'

Tao Tu Yun smiled and walked outside.

A while later Su Wu followed mistress and she didn't dare to say anything else about Li Tai Fang and Tao Fang Ao, she knew mistress was forcing a smile.

Li Tai Fang and Cui Yu have been standing outside of Tao Fang Ao's calligraphy room for a few afternoons. They knew Tao Fang Ao forbid anyone to enter the calligraphy room so they didn't dare anger him by disturbing him.

'Mistress, how much longer do we need to wait?' Cui Yu asked. 'If we wait any longer than the chicken soup will be cold.'

Cui Yu was carefully holding a bowl of chicken soup that mistress asked the cooks to make. Inside the chicken soup were many nutritious herbs to nourish Tao Fang Ao.

'Don't be noisy,' Li Tai Fang said. 'Even people of the Tao Household don't dare to disturb Tao Fang Ao while he's in the calligraphy room. How am I supposed to dare to knock on the door?'

Li Tai Fang had spent the last few days thinking of ways to get closer to Tao Fang Ao and her thick face had turned into a fearful face. She ignored his cold face to be closer to him because she hoped he would fall for her. She didn't care what schemes she needed to use as long as she possessed his heart.

'But mistress, my hands can't hold the bowl any longer,' Cui Yu said.

Cui Yu had held the bowl for almost half a shichen hour. She didn't dare to put the bowl on the ground and her two hands were trembling.

'Close your mouth!' Li Tai Fang said. 'Even if you can't hold it any longer, you need to endure.'

Li Tai Fang was bothered by Cui Yu's complaints. If Cui Yu ruined her chance of getting Tao Fang Ao's heart then she wouldn't hesitate to punish Cui Yu.

In that moment the tall Tao Fang Ao walked out of the calligraphy room.

'What are you two doing here?' Tang Fang Ao asked.

Tao Fang Ao wrinkled his handsome face and he glared at Li Tai Fang and Cui Yu.

Tao Fang Ao hated the middle days of each month. The last few days he had to check the Tao Household's business account books. He hated checking balances the most. Tao Fang Ling had pushed checking duties to him since Luo Bing Liang was pregnant. Even if he struggled to finish checking balances, he couldn't refuse to perform checking duties.

Li Tai Fang and Cui Yu added to Tao Fang Ao's troubles. The last few days they were outside the calligraphy room during the days he struggled the most. If they didn't conduct themselves properly then he wouldn't allow them to take a step outside the east guest chamber.

'Second master, I asked the cooks to make you chicken soup to nourish your body,' Li Tai Fang said.

Li Tai Fang smiled brightly, stepped in front of Tao Fang Ao and was about to lean into his body but he avoided her.

'Thank you for your good intentions, my heart can't accept,' Tao Fang Ao said.

Tao Fang Ao glanced at Li Tai Fang, she looked troublesome as the account balances.

'But...' Li Tai Fang said.

Li Tai Fang refused to be rejected. She quickly picked up the bowl from Cui Yu's hands and held it in front of Tao Fang Ao.

Tao Fang Ao looked coldly at Li Tai Fang. 'Don't say I didn't warn you. In the future you're not allowed to take one step into my villa otherwise I won't be merciful. And don't follow me anymore unless you two want to immediately leave the Tao Manor.'

Tao Fang Ao didn't bother to take another glance at Li Tai Fang and Cui Yu. He disappeared from his villa, only his warning stayed at his villa.

'Mistress, what are we going to do?' Cui Yu asked softly. 'Did we make a move too soon?'

Cui Yu was scared of mistress' rage.

Li Tai Fang glared at Cui Yu. Cui Yu grabbed the bowl from Li Tai Fang and lowered her head fearfully.

'Why are you still standing here?' Li Tai Fang asked. 'Hurry and leave!'

Li Tai Fang refused to let go of her desire to be Tao Fang Ao's wife, she was forced into the situation.

Cui Yu obediently followed behind mistress. She didn't understand what mistress was thinking. Although the Tao Household was rich, but Tao Fang Ao had a dangerous cold aura. He wasn't a man they should offend. She hoped mistress would soon see common sense.

***

End of Chapter Two (Part 4 of 4)

2