6. Stubborn
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Stubborn

Inside the dimly lit lair, Tobias’s glimmering red armor stood out like a torch.

He was currently steading himself, as he helped the young Vincent wobble out of the underground lair, the foul stench of death still lingering in the air.

"Wait here" Tobias commanded, his deep voice deep with authority. Vincent nodded, leaning against the rocky outer wall for support. His light red eyes never left the entrance to the lair as Tobias disappeared back into the darkness.

Tobias moved swiftly, not wishing to leave the exhausted young man alone for long. He located the remaining liquid orb and secured it within a metal cage, ensuring that its dangerous contents would have no chance to touch another Victim.

As he exited the lair once more, he used his strength to block the entrance with a few boulders, effectively sealing off the chamber. Although it would be hard to identify the homes of all the victims, at least this way he could prevent animals from entering and feasting on the fallen victims.

"Vincent" Tobias called, gesturing toward his horse. "Get on behind me"

Vincent hesitated for a moment, the look on his face still evidently gritting through injuries. Fighting through the pain, he managed to climb onto the horse, before grabbing the back of Tobias’s armor.

"Once we return you to Herux village, I’ll gather the other knights and return here" Tobias said, his voice laced with urgency. Although the conspirator was dead, the knights' job was far from over.

As they rode through the forest, Vincent's thoughts turned inward. He always dreamed to join the church and become a knight like Tobias, to be able to protect others and stand up against injustice. He knew it wouldn't be easy, but his determination had never wavered.

Soon Vincent's body felt like lead as he slumped forward against the armor, the fatigue eating away at his body finally starting to win over his mind once more.

Vincent attempted to force his heavy eyelids open, but his exhaustion was relentless. He mumbled a few incoherent sentences, his head bobbing with each stride of the horse. As darkness enveloped him.

Vincent awoke with a start, his heart pounding in his chest. The masked figure still loomed in his mind, his sinister cold tone causing shivers to wave through Vincent's body. Blinking away the haze of sleep, Vincent scanned his surroundings, relief washing over him as he recognized the familiar warmth of his own bed.

"Nightmare…" he muttered, running a hand through his disheveled brown hair. His gaze fell to his tightly wrapped torso, the bandages stained with dried blood.

"Mom?" Vincent called out. After the previous day’s experience, he wished for nothing more than a relaxing day with his mother.

"Vincent!" her voice rang from the kitchen, filled with concern. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, I think" he replied, swallowing hard as he reached for a glass of water, in order to quench his parched throat.

A soft creaking of the door broke through Vincent's troubled thoughts, and as he turned his head, he saw his mother Mabel entering the room with a steaming bowl of soup cradled in her hands. Her gaze was shaken, confirming that Tobias had indeed informed her of the harrowing ordeal her son had just experienced.

Despite the dark blood stains dyeing his bandages, mainly due to his body mixing with the mysterious liquid, the majority of his fatigue actually came from the overexertion of his mana.

Not wishing to spend any longer idly in bed, Vincent found the strength to push himself up from the bed, mostly driven by an urge to comfort his mother.

"Mom, I’m sorry" he whispered, extending his arms towards her. Mabel's eyes welled up with tears as she hurriedly placed the bowl on a nearby table before hugging her child. Her body shook with quiet sobs against his chest. Neither spoke, but the comfort of her sons love was exactly what the poor woman needed.

Vincent released his mother gently and wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Where's Tobias? I need to thank him for saving me"

Mabel sniffed, sadness still apparent in her watery eyes, as she replied. "The knights haven't returned yet. They're still investigating what happened at the lair"

Wiping her face once more with her sleeve, Mable’s emotions started to settle. “You hurry up and eat, you need to let your body recover”

Nodding his head in agreement, Vincent responded. “No problem, There will be plenty of time for me to thank Tobias once the knights return.

With his priorities in order, and his mother smiling once more, Vincent sat down ready to enjoy the steaming soup that was prepared for him.

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm orange glow over the outskirts of Herux village. Beneath a wilting old tree, Tobias sat cross-legged, engrossed in a disarray of papers and journals spread out before him.

Vincent approached quietly, clutching a metal pot filled with steaming food his mother had prepared. As he drew closer, he caught snippets of text on the pages. Everything from his personal report, experimental logs, and recent incident reports in the area. It was clear that even with the horrible incident finished, the Knight was still stuffed with work

"Tobias" Vincent called out hesitantly, uncertain if he should interrupt. The knight glanced up from his reading, his eyes momentarily assessing Vincent before relaxing.

"Ah, Vincent, you're up" Tobias said in his commanding tone, closing the journal he'd been examining. "How are you feeling?"

"Could be better" Vincent chuckled, sitting down on the grass next to Tobias and offering him the pot of food. The aroma of roasted vegetables and spiced meat wafted through the air. "My mom made this for you. She wanted to say thanks, in her own way”

Tobias accepted the meal with a nod of gratitude, his eyes betraying the faintest hint of a smile. "No need for thanks, It’s a knight's job to protect the innocent”

As Tobias ate in silence, Vincent's thoughts turned to his future. He knew now, more than ever, that he wanted to pursue his dreams. The fear of being weak and completely at the mercy of another person shook him to his core. Never again did he want to experience such a feeling

"Hey, Tobias" Vincent began, taking a bite out of an apple his mother packed. "I want to join the church and become a knight.

Tobias's brow furrowed, and he set down his food. "Vincent, being a knight isn't easy. It's a path filled with danger, sacrifice, and heartache. You've barely recovered from this, you need time to heal, both physically and mentally"

For the next half an hour, as they chatted, Vincent asked to join multiple times.

Still, Vincent's determination remained unwavering, fueled by the memories of his terrifying encounter. "I know it's hard, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes. If I have to prove myself, then… how about we spar? If I can impress you, write me a referral and take me along to the church"

"Out of the question!" Tobias replied sharply, his voice firm. "Your body is still injured and not in the condition to fight. I cannot allow you to risk further harm"

Vincent clenched his fists, frustration simmering beneath his resolve. He knew Tobias was right, that he needed to recover fully before leaping into action, but he didn’t know if such an opportunity to directly engage with a knight would appear anytime soon

With the sun dipping below the horizon, casting long shadows across the grass, Vincent continued to press Tobias on the matter of a spar. His persistence was unrelenting, fueled by his determination to prove himself.

"Fine" Tobias finally conceded, exasperated by Vincent's never-ending gaze. He plucked a sturdy stick from the ground and held it before him like a sword. "Just remember to take care of yourself after"

A mix of excitement and apprehension coursed through Vincent as he summoned his water mana, shaping it into a familiar lance in his hand. The cool, liquid weapon quivered with the force of his concentration.

"Come" Tobias called, adopting a defensive stance. "Show me what you've got"

Vincent charged forward, his water lance slicing through the air with a hiss. But Tobias dodged out of the way, effortlessly evading the attack. Undeterred, Vincent tried again, unleashing a flurry of strikes that Tobias deftly blocked and deflected with a simple swing of his stick.

"Is that all?" Tobias taunted, his voice calm despite the intensity of Vincent's assault. "You'll never become a knight if you can't land a single blow"

Even as he attempted to control his water into whips, Tobias easily destroyed his every plan, with a simple swing of his stick. Feeling the mana in his depleting at a visible rate, Vincent knew his only chance was to try and release everything at once in hopes of successfully passing through the knight's defense.

With a rough cry, he unleashed a torrent of water mana at Tobias, the force of the attack far greater than anything he'd managed before. Surprisingly, at that exact moment, the blue liquid coursing through his veins seemed to awaken from a deep slumber, amplifying his power far beyond anything he ever created before.

Tobias' eyes widened as the surge of water rushed toward him, and for once, he wasn't quick enough to evade it entirely. The torrent grazed his cheek, leaving a shallow cut in its wake.

"Interesting" Tobias murmured, wiping away the blood with the back of his hand.

But Vincent had no chance to hear him. As the last of his energy was launched out of his body, Vincent buckled forward, as he collapsed onto the grass, unconscious before his body even hit the ground.

“Sigh, I warned him to watch his body's condition” Tobias whispered, though behind his criticism, a slight grin was plastered on his face.

“Terribly inexperienced, yet still stubborn as all hell” He muttered, shaking his head. “You really are just like your father”

0