Arc 2 Part 4-4
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the ride back to the colony, Arduwan mentioned, “getting to the Oracle will require us going first to the nation of Vale. But the problem is that they have a very secure border and only allow people with special permits to get in. I have never been.”

“Can’t we just sneak in?” I asked.

“We could try, but the forest is very dense and easy to get lost,” she replied.

“Then how could we obtain a permit?”

“Well, one way is to get a friendly nation to give you one. But everywhere west of Vale isn’t exactly on friendly terms with them. So going that route may be more difficult than reaching the Oracle on its own. The other way is to get a merchant's pass. They frequently trade with the people of the desert and grasslands regions and move in and out of Vale often.”

“Yes! I was traveling with some merchants when I met you, Arduwan! I’m not sure how quickly I could find Frederick, but I’m sure he’d give me a pass.”

“Just the same,” she continued, “it’s best to have some kind of gift to give a merchant if we can’t find the one you know. Something not easily obtained would probably win one over since they’re always collecting rare items.”

I had an idea. I went over to the wall of the ship and took down a plasma rifle and said, “there’s no way a merchant could pass up this. It’s like a miniature weapon of mass destruction for that world. You saw what my machine gun did. Well, this thing recharges under sunlight so they wouldn’t even have to worry about running out of ammo.”

“That’s a fantastic idea, Eric!” Arduwan praised.

When the ship made it back to the colony, I directed Baylocke to drop us off near the mines rather than back at the base. We didn’t have a minute to spare. Fortunately for us, the trip across the galaxy was the fastest it had been since we were uninhibited by synths. It had been about ten hours since Celica left the Mansion. So hopefully we were right, and she would take at least a few days to fully comprehend her surroundings.

When we came up out of the well, I said to Emily, “you stay here. Callist is much too dangerous. Besides, I need you to bring Stephanie and Anabel up to speed on what’s been going on.”

“Got it. Good luck with the Oracle.”

As she ran upstairs, Arduwan and I swapped out the Synthetica stone for the Callist stone. I wasn’t quite sure what direction we’d even go once we got to the other side. All I knew is we needed to make our way east to the forest kingdom of Vale. But we had to find a merchant first and convince them to give us an entry permit.

I didn’t even take the time to change into my chainmail and boots I’d previously worn in Callist. I just had to chance it that I wouldn’t need them for the time I’d be there. The singular focus was to find a way to get to that Oracle and hope he’d be able to tip us off on Celica before she evolved beyond our ability to deal with her.

* * *

Arduwan used her ‘Call of the Wild’ to summon a horse for us and we took off southeast into the desert. She said we were really likely to find a merchant Caravan there that either had just come from Vale or would be going soon. I had the plasma rifle slung over my back. The only thing I was certain of was that it would be my best bargaining chip in this world.

As we were making our way through the desert, I noticed that the terrain around here was much different than to the west of the spring. Over there it was much more rocky and with vegetation. Out here there were more dune-like. Though we saw an oasis up ahead. It looked to be a small water reservoir with palm trees and a scattering of large tents. Arduwan said it was likely a merchant's trading post.

When we approached the encampment, we were stopped by two tough looking guards with spears who asked, “what business have you here?”

Arduwan replied, “we seek an audience with an audience with the head merchant.” “No one sees the Moonlight Knight without a reason,” the other guard replied.

Oh, for real? We need a permit to get a permit? We didn’t have time for this. I leapt off the horse from behind Arduwan and said, “we come bearing gifts for his lordship,” trying to sound as cordial as possible.

“Very well,” the guard said before leading us into the main tent.

As we walked into the tent, we saw five beautiful women, dressed like belly dancers, absolutely fawning over, and tending to their lord. It took me a moment to realize it, but sure enough, it was Wraith! He was still wearing his Arabian Knights gettup and was lounging on an array of pillows. He had a girl in purple massaging his shoulders while another in green fed him grapes and peanuts.

“Hey! Eric!”

“Wraith?!” I exclaimed, “You’re the moonlight knight?!” “That I am,” he stated pompously.

“But you got that from Sailor Moon!”

“It’s great, is it?” He boasted, “People having no concept of pop culture in this world has its advantages.”

“How did you get…all of this?” I asked while motioning my hand around at the encampment and his entourage of girls and bodyguards.

“Well, it’s like this…after I left you two at the spring I went off into the desert until I found a decent sized town. I decided to use the Thieves Cant skill you taught me to try and get in good with some bandits. Turns out telling people stories from all the video games and tabletop campaigns I’ve played can really score you some clout. So, after a few big heist jobs and a little dungeon crawling, I was able to go legit and start my own merchant post!”

I couldn’t believe it. Somehow in a matter of months, this pizza delivery guy who couldn’t get a date had become the most successful self-made person I knew. A few of the girls giggled as they continued giving him wine and treats.

“So, what’s the deal with all the girls?” I asked.

“Well, I figured if you were gonna have your own harem then I could have mine! Oh, by the way, hey there, Arduwan!”

I turned to see that she was blushing a little. Seriously, was she swooning over him too?! “So, what brings you here anyway? What did you need a merchant for?” he asked.

“It’s a long story, and actually we’re a little pressed on time. Short version is that there’s a big, bad, evil chick on the loose back on Earth and we’re going to talk to the Oracle of Vale to see if he can tip us off to where she is.”

“Oh, is that all?” he joked.

“Actually, that’s not all,” I inserted, “she killed Higgins and if we’re not careful, the fate of humanity is in jeopardy.”

He straightened up his tone and took what I was saying more seriously after I said that.

“Oh, well then, how can I help?”

“We need a merchant's permit to get into Vale. Assuming that’s something you can do for us, that’s all we really need.”

“Hmm, well, that’s not a problem. I’ll need to go with you though. They’re not just gonna let you in there. Vale is a nice place, and they don’t like people from out here coming in and starting stuff. And let me at least give you two some cloaks so you don’t stick out as much with that modern clothing on.”

“Great! “Oh, and here,” I offered him the plasma rifle, “you can have this. We brought this as a bargaining chip to try and get a permit. It’s only right that you have it for helping.”

“Oh, wow! Awesome! Yeah, definitely not something found around here too often.”

We left at once for the border of Vale where the forest met the desert's edge. Luckily for us, Wraith’s trading camp was just a couple hours from the border. It had now been almost 24 hours since the incident at the Mansion. It had better be worth the time we were taking to go find this Oracle.

Right at the desert's edge was a major checkpoint with well uniformed guards. It was clear Vale had a professional army. Getting in wasn’t all that difficult thanks to Wraith and his merchant’s privileges. A little ways down the road through the forest path, we could see the spires of a medieval looking city. It was Vale, the capital of the kingdom and by far the most populated and advanced city I had seen in this world.

Once we stepped foot within city limits, we made our way through the busy streets towards the center of town. None of us had ever met the Oracle of Vale before, but both Arduwan and Wraith had heard of him. He was well known for bringing prosperity to the many people who traveled to see him. He apparently could predict any instant in time that was requested of him, so you can imagine how that might help in war or gambling. We decided to buy some fruit from a street stall and ask if the salesman could direct us to the Oracle.

The street vendor directed us a few blocks away to a building with lattice and greenery spiraled up the wall. Apparently, all you had to do was go in and ask for a meeting with the Oracle. We followed the instructions and were taken into a room with a chubby little middle-aged man with a receding hairline and wearing robes sat on a pillow awaiting clients. “Greetings!” He said, “I knew you’d come.” “Really?!” I questioned.

“Haha! No, that’s just a little Oracle humor. Perhaps you’d like some tea?” he offered.

“Sorry, we’re actually in a little bit of a hurry. We need to find someone.” “There’s always time for tea,” he went on casually.

Wraith turned to me and said, “do you think this guy actually knows what he’s talking about?”

Before I could answer, the Oracle said, “why yes, I do, world walkers, and barbarian princess.”

Our mouths were agape. He certainly was the real deal. Now for the hard part…

“I can help you find the person you’re looking for, but there’s the matter of payment,” he suggested.

“Don’t worry, Eric, I got this part covered,” Wraith said before asking, “so how much are we talking?”

“Five hundred gold pieces.”

Wraith went silent and then said, “Ya know, Eric, I’ve been thinking…our world kinda sucks. Maybe we can just let this one slide. Let’s go back and get the girls and you can all stay with me in the desert for a while.”

“Wraith…be serious. We can’t just let Celica run wild,” I scolded.

“There’s a big problem though.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“I don’t have five hundred gold pieces.”

“Really? I thought you were a big shot merchant around here?”

“I am! I am! That’s not it. I mean, five hundred is a lot. I do technically have it. But I’ve only got one hundred on me. You’d be amazed at how unforgiving the encumbrance of precious metals is in reality.”

“Great. Now what?”

“Perhaps you could give me the one hundred you have, plus a trade?” the Oracle suggested.

“Sure. How about this plasma rifle?” Wraith offered with big eyes and a wide smile.

“I have no use for that. You see, I’m quite good at avoiding danger. Oracle and all.” “Then what would you like?” I asked.

“Ahem, the young lady that’s with you is quite beautiful,” he directed at Arduwan, who by the way was still wearing her blue spandex tank top and shorts underneath the cloak Wraith gave her.

This was where I was gonna draw the line. We might have been in trouble, but I wasn’t going to offer up Arduwan to this little man.

“I’m sorry, but…” I was about to say something before he interrupted me.

“Don’t worry. I’m not asking for anything too invasive. I realize time is of the essence for you and I’d want to savor the moment with her anyway.”

“So, what do you want then?” I asked suspiciously.

“Well, I was just wondering if maybe she’d let me…how you say…cop a feel?”

“That’s it? You’re going to give away your services that people who travel from all over the world to pay you a fortune to have done for them and all you want is a hundred gold coins and to squeeze Arduwan’s chest? I guess even the power of prediction isn’t enough to get this guy laid.” Wraith mocked.

“Wraith…cool it,” I nudged.

“I’ll do it,” Arduwan jumped in, “we need his information, and we don’t have much time. It’s not a big deal I guess.”

“Woohoo! Excellent! We have a deal then!”

Wraith and I opted to wait outside while Arduwan opened up her cloak. The chubby little man was giddy as he squeezed and caressed her breasts over the spandex tank top she wore. Yes, he didn’t even want to grab them while bare. Afterwards, Wraith tossed him a sack of coins and we awaited our answer.

The Oracle sat cross legged on his meditation pillow and then appeared to go into a trance. He started humming, ‘ooommmmmmmmm’. After a moment he opened his eyes and said, “in two days time, the one called Celica will be in a place called Switzerland.”

“Switzerland? Why there?” I asked.

“Would you like to see for yourself?” he offered.

“Sure, but how?”

He reached out his hands and put his thumbs over my closed eyelids. Instantly, I saw a flash and there, clear as day, was Celica. She was going on a killing rampage at CERN Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. It only lasted a moment, but it stuck with me and I knew within my bones the time and date she would arrive.

“It’s CERN,” I said to Wraith, “she’s going to CERN and is going to go on a killing spree!” “CERN? But why?” he replied.

The Oracle explained, “She seeks to find and create new worlds to spread to when she finishes with yours.”

“She must be wanting to mess with the Large Hadron Collider,” Wraith suggested.

“Right,” I said, “she must learn about it in the next couple of days and realize that there’s nothing like it in her world but knows enough to be able to manipulate in ways Earth's scientists could only dream.”

“What does it mean, Eric?” Arduwan asked.

“It’s difficult to explain, but some people think it’s technology that can alter reality or even open up parallel worlds.”

“It’s a nice theory,” Wraith interrupted, “but there’s a big problem. If it’s supposed to happen in a few days, how the hell are you going to get back to the well and over to

Switzerland in enough time to do anything? Also, you think CERN security is just going to let you walk in there and say, ‘sorry, but there’s a killer A.I. on its way here and we want to set a trap for her’? The well itself is a full day away!”

“I can’t help you with how you’re going to stop the woman, but I can help you get to your well faster,” the Oracle chimed in.

“How?” I asked.

“I can provide transportation that could get you to you well in say, twenty minutes?”

“Seriously?!!!” I shouted with glee

“Of course. Why do you think I offered tea earlier? I knew there would be time.”

“Wait a second,” Wraith interrupted, “what’s extra the charge?”

“Oh, no extra charge. Surely you didn’t think feeling up Princess Arduwan’s boobs was only worth one measly prediction, did you? Maybe next time I could touch her…”

Let’s…hope there isn’t a next time,” I butted in.

He took us to the rooftop of his building and there was a big, Persian style rug laid out flat on the roof with a white rope tied to each corner.

“Aww, no way! You’re gonna send us off on a magic carpet!” Wraith said excitedly.

“Not exactly,” the Oracle corrected, before whistling loudly. Quickly after, a giant eagle flew up and landed on the other side of the roof from us. The gust from its wings nearly blew us over as it perched.

“You’re gonna have that bird fly us there! Is that even safe!” I shouted.

“Not to worry,” said the Oracle, “normally I have it transport things and not people, but I don’t foresee any problems taking you there.”

“Alright, let’s get it over with,” I conceded.

We walked over to the center of the carpet and the Oracle said, “you might want to lay down there in the middle.”

So, the three of us laid down flat on our backs side by side in the middle of the carpet. The Oracle started cranking a large pulley system that pulled all four corners of the rug up by the white ropes we saw. The light of day shrank, and we felt like marbles being rolled up into a drawstring bag. We tussled and tumbled in the bag, unable to see a thing as the eagle grappled the ropes.

“Ah! Arduwan, your knee is in my side,” I yelled.

“Sorry, I’ll turn over,” she apologized, “Wow! Wraith, are you able to see the future now too?”

“Wraith! Get your hands off her!!!”

0