Chapter 2: Welcome To King 101! You Suck!
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2

At the table, Isaac sat with Eldric and Aya having dinner while Saori rested in her room. Isaac had told them what happened earlier today.

“Sounds like you’ve met a Sovereign Knight.” Eldric said with a worried look on his face. “You should be grateful that it didn’t escalate further.”

Sovereign Knights were no joke. These people directly work under the Sovereign King’s command. Kind of like the King's special army. And they are not to be played with.

Aya was worried sick when Isaac came into the house with her daughter passed out but luckily, that’s all there is to it which was a relief.

“Sovereign Knights come here occasionally. But I’ve never seen them interact with the townspeople. Usually, they’d stop by for supplies or just pass through.” Aya said.

“There’s never a logic with their actions.” Eldric reminded his wife. “Remember Cratus’s family?”

Aya nodded and sighed. “At least the two of you are safe.”

“Yeah.” Isaac said with a small smile. He didn’t want to tell them about his recent troubles with the Sovereign Empire because that would just make them worry more. But it didn’t seem like the Sovereign Knight he’d met earlier knew about what Isaac did.

But on the off chance that the Sovereign Knight did come from Isaac, that means he can’t stay here anymore. He’s going to put everyone in Sarca at risk, especially Saori.

He must’ve been staring into nothing because Eldric called him. “Isaac? Are you okay? You’ve barely touched your food.”

“Oh.” Isaac jarred back to reality. “It’s nothing. I’m just tired.”

“Well, you’ve had a long journey here.” Aya said. “And coupled with that incident earlier, of course you’d be tired.”

“I guess so.” Isaac said with a slight chuckle.

“Why don’t you head to bed after eating? You need some rest.” Eldric said.

“Yeah. I’ll do that.” Isaac said. “Thanks.”

Line Break

A week had gone by after his arrival in Sarca

Isaac had planned to leave the day after the initial incident, but after some convincing from Saori and the fact that nothing else like that happened again, Isaac stayed.

Throughout the week, Isaac had been helping out his uncle and Saori in the forge with some work although he’s not allowed to make stuff on his own because the last time he did that, the forge exploded.

Aside from that, he’s also been helping the townspeople with some odd jobs like he usually does in Rost.

Today however, things are about to be different. How could he tell?

Because there was a Sovereign Knight standing in front of the shop waiting for him.

Since Isaac was the first to leave the house, he’s the first to meet the Sovereign Knight. Unlike the person he’d met a week ago, this man was considerably shorter than him but was still taller than Isaac. Like, tall by normal human standards.

And unlike the other person, this one didn’t wear a hood or a cloak. Instead, he wore the Sovereign Knight armor that looked like it could withstand a cannonball. The armor itself was silver in color, adorned with gold and black outlines. A massive sword the size of a tree log was strapped on the Knight’s back.

The Knight shared the same intimidating aura as the previous person, but it wasn’t as intense and was more controlled. Isaac couldn’t see his face clearly under the helmet.

“Um, hi?” Isaac greeted.

“I’m looking for supplies. You're a weapons shop, correct?”

“We’re not open yet.” Isaac said.

“Is that so?” The Knight said with a sigh. “Then I will wait here.” The Sovereign Knight said as he moved away from the door and stood next to it with his arms crossed.

“Are you seriously going to wait here?” Isaac asked.

“I have nothing else to do and I’m in a slight hurry.” The Sovereign Knight said as he kept watch over the passing pedestrians.

“Uh, okay.” Isaac said as he slowly went back inside. He went back into the forge where Eldric was getting stuff ready for today’s work. “Um, Uncle Eldric?”

“Yeah?” Eldric replied.

“There’s someone outside.”

“Who is it?”

“A Sovereign Knight.” Isaac said.

Eldric became alert. “Is it the one you met a week ago?”

Isaac shook his head. “A different one. He says he’s looking for supplies.”

“Tell him the shop’s not open.”

“I did. He’s waiting outside until we open.”

Eldric seems confused. He took off his leather apron and went with Isaac to check out the situation. The two got out of the store and found the Sovereign Knight still waiting there, patiently.

“Uh, hello.” Eldric greeted him. The Sovereign Knight just greeted him with a nod. “Can I help you?”

“I’m looking for a sword.” The Sovereign Knight said.

“We’re not open yet.”

“That’s why I’m waiting.”

“So, you just want to buy a weapon?”

“Yes.”

Eldric glanced at Isaac to ask him a silent question, to which Isaac responded with a look that said, Don’t look at me. I didn’t invite the big scary guy with the sword.

“Well, one person couldn’t hurt.” Eldric said with a nervous chuckle. “I also can’t keep a customer waiting. Come in.”

The Sovereign Knight bowed his head slightly. “You have my gratitude.”

Isaac and Eldric walked ahead of the Knight as Isaac whispered to his uncle. “Are you sure about this?”

“He’s not the same guy that you met, right? Plus, he seems like a nice guy.”

Isaac wasn’t too convinced of the Sovereign Knight being a nice guy, but he figured this was the safest play to make. Besides, if the Knight suddenly decides to go on a rampage, they’d be dead anyways.

The three enter the shop and Eldric starts to show the Sovereign Knight around. “Have a look at our wares. “We have the standard military swords, magic swords, bows and arrows, there’s even one that I just made that has–”

“A normal one will do.” The Sovereign Knight interrupted him as he studied the weapons lined up in racks and hung on the wall.

“Sure thing.” Eldric said as he grabbed one of the normal looking blades he has. A sword with a leather-bound hilt, a straight handguard, and a two-edged blade that’s about as long as Isaac’s arm. “Does this work?” Eldric handed him the sword.

In the Sovereign Knight’s hand, the sword looked short. “This will do.” He said. “Will you include the scabbard as well?”

“Of course.” Eldric said. He grabbed one of the scabbards from behind the desk and put it on the counter. “Do you need anything else?”

“That will be all.” The Knight said as he handed the sword back to Eldric for packaging. “How much is it?”

“Five silver.” Eldric said. The Sovereign Knight didn’t seem to have any issues with the price, so he handed Eldric a gold coin, which was worth ten silver. After rummaging behind the counter, he cursed. “Isaac, can you ask Aya where she put the coins for change? I can’t find it.”

“Okay.” Isaac said. He was about to go upstairs before the Knight stopped him.

“Wait.” The Sovereign Knight said and Isaac stopped in his tracks. “What did you say your name was?”

Isaac felt nervous. Even Eldric looked surprised. “Isaac.” Isaac answered.

“Is that so?” The Sovereign Knight said. “Then that saves me time.”

“Um, why?”

“I’ve been sent to look for you.” The Knight said. “By the White Queen.”

Line Break

Isaac didn’t know what to do. “The White Queen? You mean Scarlet?”

The Sovereign Knight nodded. “You’ve met her, yes? A week ago, in a village not far from here.”

“Um,” Isaac wasn’t sure how to answer that. He didn’t know this person. For all he knew, this Sovereign Knight was just testing him to see if he knew Scarlet or not just so he can get confirmation that Isaac was the one who helped them and he’ll be taken to the Royal Capital to be executed.

But if that is the case, then Isaac can’t lie. Otherwise, his uncle, his aunt, and Saori would be in danger and accused of harboring a fugitive.

“Yes, I’ve met her.” Isaac admitted. “Are you here to capture me?”

“Hm?” The Sovereign Knight raised an eyebrow. “I’m not here to capture you. I’m here to send you a message.”

Isaac was confused. “A message?”

“From the White Queen.” He fished something from his back pocket. “An offer.” He handed Isaac a leather envelope stamped with the White Kingdom’s insignia. “When you have an answer, burn the letter and I will come to you.”

“Wait,” Isaac shook his head. “What are you talking about?”

“Read the letter. It explains everything.” The Sovereign Knight said. He turned towards Eldric who was speechless the entire time. “Thank you for the sword. You may keep the change.” He said before he turned around and exited the store.

Then he remembered what Scarlet said to him before she left.

Keep an eye out.

Is this what she meant? She wanted to send a letter?

“Um, what was that about?” Eldric asked.

Line Break

They decided it would be better to explain everything after Saori and Aya woke up and got ready. After that, they gathered at the dining table where Isaac explained everything in detail.

“So, what about the person that you saw last week?” Aya asked. “Is he there because of what you did?”

“I don’t think so.” Isaac shook his head. “He never mentioned anything about it, but I can’t be too sure.” The letter in his hand felt heavy. It felt like he was holding onto a death sentence, for some reason.

It’s never a good thing when the Sovereign Empire has business for you.

“Well, what are you waiting for?” Saori said. “Open it.”

Isaac took a deep breath before opening a letter, revealing a parchment with a wall of text. Isaac took a minute to read everything and with each word, confusion stirred in his head.

“What does it say?” Saori asked.

“It seems that I’ve been invited to the White Kingdom.” Isaac said. “To become a King Candidate.”

“A King Candidate?” Eldric looked worried. “Are you serious?”

“You know what that is, dear?” Aya asked her husband.

Eldric sighed. “As the title says, a King Candidate is someone who is nominated to be a King. Normally, when the King of a kingdom dies or relinquishes his title, the Prince would be the one next in line as a successor. But in the event that the King doesn’t have a successor, the royal family would choose a King Candidate that’s agreed upon by the family to see if he is a fit to be King.”

“Wait, so you’re saying that the White Queen chose Isaac to be King?” Saori asked.

“Something like that.” Eldric said. “It’s like a recruitment process to see if the Candidate is fit to ascend to the throne. Also, each royal family tests their Candidates in different ways and they’re set up for the Candidates to fail. So by no means are you guaranteed to become King even if you’re named as a Candidate.”

“So this is a test, basically.” Isaac said.

Eldric nodded. “Being a King Candidate for the White Kingdom will be a tough one since their ways are unknown and they are not allied with the Sovereign Empire. You know what this means, right?”

Isaac nodded. If he accepts this offer, it doesn’t matter if he succeeds or not. He will be known to have allied himself with the White Kingdom and by proxy, he’s an enemy of the Sovereign Empire.

They sat in silence for a minute, pondering about the situation before Saori said something. “Are you going to accept?”

“I . . . I don’t know. There’s many words you can use to describe me. ‘King’ isn’t one of them.” Isaac said. “I’m not ready nor am I fit to be King. This is a ridiculous offer by the White Queen, if I’m being honest.”

When they replied with silence, Isaac knew that they knew that he was right. Isaac was not a King. He’s just someone who’s handy with a hammer.

“So, what are you going to do now?” Saori asked.

Isaac took a long pause before answering the question. “I think I should head home for now.” Isaac said. “I’ll figure things out.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Aya said. “You’re part of our family.”

“I know, and I’m grateful for that.” Isaac said with a smile. “But I can’t have people from the Empire keep showing up at your doorstep like that. This is my problem and I’ll deal with it.”

“You don’t have to worry. We’ll just–” Aya was interrupted when Eldric put his hand softly on her shoulder. He understood that Isaac had made up his mind and it’d be selfish to not let him do what he wants. Aya saw Eldric’s expression and she softened up.

“We won’t stop you.” Eldric said. “But do promise that you’ll be safe.”

“I will.” Isaac said.

“If you’re gonna leave, can you at least stay for breakfast?” Aya said.

Isaac chuckled. “Of course. Can’t leave without having one last bite.”

Line Break

Isaac stood next to his horse at the town’s exit with Saori there to see him off. “You didn’t have to come, you know?” Isaac said.

“Don’t care.” Saori grinned.

Isaac could only chuckle. “Thanks for taking care of me.”

“Don’t mention it. It’s always fun when you visit.”

“I’ll try to visit more often.” Isaac said. Saori gave him a cheeky grin, but it quickly faded away. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” Saori sighed. “I just feel uneasy.”

Despite being the teasing, Isaac knew that Saori sees him as a brother and that she cared deeply about him. “Don’t worry. I won’t do anything stupid.” Isaac said.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Saori gave him a tight hug. Something he was very surprised about. Of course, Saori has hugged him before but to do it all of a sudden without warning surprised him.

“Please be safe.” Saori said. There was worry in her voice. “Whatever happens, you can always come back to us. You’ll always have a home here.”

Isaac returned her hug. “Don’t worry about me. I’ll be okay.”

Saori tried to hide it, but he could hear a slight sob before she pulled away. “Good.” She put on a bright smile, but Isaac knew it was forced. “Now go. Before I change my mind.”

Isaac climbed onto his horse and waved his cousin one last goodbye before riding back towards Rost.

Line Break

It took a day and a half before he reached Rost. He could see the village just over the horizon when he saw someone standing in his way.

It was the cloaked guy again, the one he met over a week ago.

Isaac stopped in his tracks. The man stood about a few meters away from him. He didn’t carry a weapon or anything, but if he decided to attack there was no way Isaac could beat him in a fight. It also didn’t help that the man was built like an orc warrior.

Isaac waited for the mysterious man to do something, but he just stood still. He decides to break the ice after a minute of silence. “What do you want?”

“I’m here because you have piqued my interest.” The man said.

“Well, the feelings are not mutual and I am not interested in you.” Isaac said.

The man snickered .”Are you more interested in the White Queen, I presume?”

Isaac stiffened. “What are you talking about?”

Again, the man chuckled but in a mocking way. “There’s much for you to learn, future King. They say keep your allies close and your enemies closer. But . . .”

Isaac could never explain what happened after that. The man stood like ten meters away from him but when Isaac blinked, he was suddenly standing in front of Isaac. He was so shocked and frozen stiff from it that he couldn’t even stumble backwards.

“My advice for you is, there’s more to people than meets the eye.” The man said in a low, amused voice. Isaac blinked again and he disappeared.

After that, Isaac felt like he could breathe clearly again. Whoever that man was, he’s dangerous. Isaac decided not to dwell on it for now.

At least not out here, in the open.

He lashed in his reins and made haste towards Rost.

Line Break

The first thing Isaac did was return the horse to Myrna. Thankfully, the horse didn’t get hurt or injured so he just had to pay Myrna the usual fee.

Myrna seems to notice something off with Isaac. “Are you okay?” Myrna asked.

“Hm?” Isaac turned his head towards her. “I’m fine.”

“You don’t look fine.”

“I just have a lot on my mind.” Isaac sighed. “But trust me, I’m fine.”

Without warning, Myrna pulled him into a bear hug. Her appearances being smaller than Isaac is quite deceiving considering she squeezed the air out of him. “It’s going to be okay.” Myrna said as she’s crushing Isaac’s ribs.

“Yep, thanks.” Isaac croaked. “Can’t breathe. Help.”

After that, Isaac decided to go to the tavern to get something to drink in the hopes of clearing his head.

“Whoa,” Big Bob said as Isaac sat down. “Are you okay?”

“Everyone keeps asking me if I’m okay.” Isaac sighed. “I’m fine.”

“Hey, I was just asking.” Big Bob said.

“Sorry. I’m a bit on edge right now.”

“No worries. So, do you want the usual?”

“Yeah, just give me–”

Before Isaac could finish his sentence, someone grabbed him by the shoulder and turned him around by surprise. Isaac found himself facing a Sovereign Knight.

The same Sovereign Knight that visited him a week prior in Sarca. Isaac had burned the letter, just like the Knight asked him to but he didn’t expect to see him again so soon.

"You have arrived." The Knight said. The whole tavern fell silent. Seeing a Sovereign Knight looking for someone can only mean one thing: the King has business with you.

"Yes." Isaac said. 

“Do you have an answer?”

“I do.”

The Knight nodded. "Come with me." The Knight said. Isaac looked around him to see that everyone was feeling uneasy and agitated which was understandable. No one wanted to go against the Empire, so Isaac wasn't expecting any help from the others if this goes badly.

"Wait." Big Bob called from over the counter. "Where are you taking him?"

The Knight glanced over his shoulder. "That is none of your concern."

"It is my concern. He's my favorite customer." Big Bob glared at the Knight. Isaac appreciated what he was trying to do, but he was more worried that Big Bob was going to get himself in trouble.

"It's fine, Big Bob," Isaac said with a small smile. "He’s . . . an acquaintance.”

Isaac followed the Knight outside where a carriage awaits. Adorned in black and gold outlines while being pulled by horses from the Royal Capital. When did the carriage get here, Isaac had no idea.

The Knight stepped in and Isaac followed. He tried to avoid the gazes of many people that were staring.

As the door closed behind him, he sat on the cushioned seat draped in purple.

The Knight took off his helmet and Isaac got a clearer look on his face. He was definitely way older than Isaac. His brown hair was cropped short with gray streaks on it, and his beard was neatly trimmed. Aside from his hardened brown eyes and look of steel, Isaac noticed the scars all over his face. He'd seen battle before. Probably even fought in the Sirenic War, which happened way before Isaac was even born.

"Hillut told me about you." The Knight said as the carriage started moving. "I just thought you'd be bigger as a handyman."

Isaac scowled. "Who's Hillut?"

"You’ve met him before." He said. "The Sovereign Knight who travels with the White Queen."

So he knew about Scarlet's escape from the Royal Capital. From what he said, Isaac deduced that he’s not here under the orders of the Empire. Because if he was, Isaac would’ve already been dead for helping a fugitive of the Empire escape.

“Have you spoken with the White Queen?”

"Maybe." Isaac decided to be cautious. "I spoke with a lot of people that day."

The Knight snickered. "You're cautious. I like that. Can't be too careful with all the ears the Empire has."

Isaac raised an eyebrow. "Aren't you with the Empire?"

He looked at Isaac grimly. "I was. But no more. Although I am still a Sovereign Knight, my allegiance lies elsewhere."

"With the White Queen?"

The Knight shook his head. "The Lunar Empress."

Isaac was confused. "Uh, she's the King's wife, isn't she? Doesn't that still count as the Sovereign Empire?"

From the way he tensed up, Isaac knew he was hiding something. Whatever it was, he wasn't telling it.

But Isaac could piece a few of the information he had by himself.

The Sovereign King, King Solaris, rules the Sovereign Empire by himself. There's no higher power in the Sovereign Empire. No one holds a more powerful authority than him. His word is the law. His orders are absolute.

Normally, a King would have many wives as Kings do. This is mainly to ensure they would produce many children to increase their influence or lineage or something stupid like that. The Sovereign King is no exception to this tradition. This is also why there is no official 'Sovereign Queen' because if people looked at it technically, there would be dozens of Queens since the Sovereign King had many concubines.

Out of all his wives, Luna – the Lunar Empress – is the closest to the King. Their children are not the first ones that the Sovereign King have had, but despite that they are the first in line for the King’s throne since Luna’s offspring takes priority over the King’s other wives. This also includes Prince Solus, Luna’s firstborn and  the prince that Scarlet was supposed to marry.

But the Knight in front of Isaac has said that he sees himself as part of the Lunar Empress' allies, but not the Sovereign Empire.

And judging from the White Queen's recent escape from her wedding with Solus, the first in line for the throne, Isaac figured it was no coincidence.

"Something's going on, isn't it?" Isaac said. "In the Royal Capital. Someone helped the White Queen escape or maybe, someone convinced her."

The Knight raised an eyebrow. “What makes you think that?" The Knight said.

"The Empress," Isaac said. "She's planning something. Something to do with the White Queen." Something clicked in his head. "You said your allegiance lies with the Empress, but not the Empire. So that means she's not part of the Empire anymore. Is she planning to go against the Empire?"

The Knight's muted reaction confirms his suspicion. If it had been any other kingdom or country trying to go against the Empire, Isaac wouldn't have cared. The Sovereign Empire is too big and too influential for any single kingdom to go against it.

But if the Lunar Empress decides to take that challenge, then that changes the game.

The reason why other countries and kingdoms fail to go against the Empire is that they are afraid to be involved and be crushed by the Empire. The Sovereign Empire has the support of almost every other kingdom in Arya either out of respect or fear. The only way you can have even a slight chance of matching the power of the Empire was if you united all of Arya that's not with the Empire.

But that’s impossible, since none of those kingdoms would risk even attempting to cross swords with the Sovereign Empire. The Empire has tolerated them being free from their rule and they were not going to push their luck. Not to mention, there aren’t that many of them.

Needless to say, some kingdoms don't really like Sovereign rule even those who are under said rule. If the Lunar Empress asked for help, they would probably rally to her call.

If the Empress succeeds, they are about to be in a bloody civil war.

"The Empress has issued something for you." The Knight said.

The Knight handed him a ring and a letter. The letter was sealed with red wax along with an insignia that looked like a crescent moon.

"The Empress's crest." The Knight said. "Inside will be a letter of recognition, signed by the Empress herself. The ring is proof of your status."

Isaac was confused. "Recognition? Of what?”

"As a King Candidate.” The Knight said.

“Okay, explain this to me.” Isaac said. “Why have they chosen me?”

“I don’t know nor do I question her decision.” The Knight said.

"Her decision was to nominate me. A nobody."

"Exactly."

"Someone who she has never met in her life."

"Yes."

"Someone who has literally no amount of royalty or nobility in his blood."

"Yes."

"Might I remind you, I'm a nobody."

"That does not matter," the Knight stopped him. "The Empress has chosen you and I will not question her decision."

"But why me?" Isaac asked. This was a lot to take in. Isaac wishes the Knight was pulling a prank on him, but Sovereign Knights don't do pranks. They're trained to have no sense of humor. Isaac learned this the hard way when he thought it was funny to spike a Sovereign Knight’s drink on a dare and make his skin turn blue.

It wasn’t so funny the next day when he was forced to walk with a limp leg for two weeks after getting the living shit beat out of him.

"I'm no one. I just helped for the sake of helping. I'm no saint myself. I've done bad things in my life."

"Again, I have no opinion on the matter. It's what the Empress wants." The Knight seemed to empathize with Isaac. Being told you're suddenly responsible for a whole nation? That could put anyone under pressure. "Maybe she sees something in you that you don't."

Whatever it is that she sees, she's wrong. Isaac was not fit to be a King Candidate let alone a King. He was never a leader. He helps people, he does what he's told. Those were not the qualities of a King.

"What of the White Queen?" Isaac asked. "If she made me a King Candidate for the White Kingdom’s throne, what happens to Scarlet? She's the Queen of the White Kingdom, right? Surely she doesn't deserve to have her position–"

"The White Queen has agreed to this idea." The Knight said. "The Lunar Empress and the White Queen are sisters. Well, half-sisters."

Isaac was speechless. He wasn't going to worm his way out of this. The news about the two of them being sisters would’ve been the biggest news he’d heard today, if the news about him being a King Candidate didn’t count.

"What if I say no?" Isaac asked.

The Knight regarded him with his steely glare. "Then I would have to bring you to the Empress." The Knight said. "You currently know way too much and are going against the Empress's order. That calls for treason. And I doubt the White Queen feels too good about that since she spoke highly of you."

Isaac gulped. "So what you're saying is either I accept this offer, or I'll die."

"Precisely."

He felt like passing out. Normally, that wouldn't be a hard choice to make for anyone. Who doesn't want to become King? You can have wealth, power, land, and everything in between. Anyone would've picked being a King instead of a nobody.

Isaac has seen more than enough examples of terrible Kings and Queens in his lifetime. A terrible ruler could lead to the downfall of a kingdom. That means the ones that suffer are the people. If he became King, hundreds – even thousands – of people now put their faith in him to lead them into prosperity.

And Isaac was afraid of that responsibility. He'd have no problems if his actions were his own to bear. But when it concerns other people, that’s a different matter entirely.

But then again, Isaac didn't want to die.

"How about the Empress? Or the White Queen? Can I at least talk to them first?"

The Knight rubbed his chin. "Hmm. It's impossible for you to meet the Lunar Empress right now, but we can probably meet the White Queen if we can catch up to them."

"Great. We’ll leave first thing tomorrow and–"

"No."

Isaac blinked. "What do you mean?"

"We leave now." The Knight said. "If you want to see the White Queen, then we need to catch up with them. They're on their way back to the White Kingdom and it will be difficult once they've passed Whitewash Peaks."

Isaac remembered that Scarlet told him how dangerous those mountains are nowadays, now that Icirin has made it her home. Sharing the Knight's sentiment, Isaac would love to catch up to the White Queen before the mountains.

But then again, since he'll be a King Candidate of the White Kingdom, he might have to pay Whitewash Peaks a visit anyways.

"So, we leave now?" Isaac asked.

"We leave now." The Knight confirmed.

Line Break

And so, without having a moment’s rest, Isaac left Rost along with the Sovereign Knight without a word to anyone. Isaac was now sitting in the carriage and was off to Ironwood Forest, where Isaac suspected the party of the White Queen would be. He'd told Elisa that if they needed a place to stay for the night, the town near Ironwood Forest was a good choice since there's barely any Sovereign influence there.

But the trip would take them at least a day. If they're lucky, they could arrive quicker than anticipated but that’s assuming nothing goes wrong. If they were going to catch up to Scarlet, they’re going to need a lot of luck.

Also, the road is crawling with monsters and bandits. Isaac would be surprised if they didn't stop at least once to deal with either of them.

After four hours into the journey, the silence was awkward for Isaac so he decided to talk. "I didn't get your name when we met. What was it?"

The Knight gave him a good stare before answering. "Darius." He said simply.

"So, Darius," Isaac said nervously. "Do you have any ideas why the Lunar Empress picked me to be the King Candidate for the White Kingdom?"

"I told you, I have no opinion on the matter. I don't question their choices," Darius said firmly. "I just have faith in them. Whatever their reasons may be, I trust in their judgment."

"Is there any evidence to support this or is this just blind faith?" Isaac asked. That must've been a sore subject as Darius sharply glared at Isaac.

"I’d suggest you choose your words carefully." Darius said in a steely tone. "I've been through hell to recognize good and evil. The Lunar Empress has saved me from the Empire's clutches. I owe her my life."

Isaac gulped. "So, she's on the good side, then?"

Darius huffed. "I won't say that the Empress is all good, but she's better than the Sovereign King."

Isaac just nodded, but he still wasn't seeing it. To a degree, Isaac understood. The Sovereign King ruled with authority. No one can defy him, no one can go against him and anyone who does will be executed.

But then again, it's not like the King ruled with tyranny. People still have freedom, they can still live peacefully under the Sovereign Empire, and they can live happily as long as they don't go against the King.

Isaac was not taking sides. As long as he could avoid any conflict and live peacefully, he had no quarrel with anyone.

But if he was going to take on a role that would involve him going against the Sovereign King, he would like to know why. Many thoughts circled his head.

Is it because of power? Does the Lunar Empress wish to take control of the Sovereign Empire?

Is it because of the people? Does the White Queen want to expand her lands to help her people?

Or was it some other third party? Perhaps another faction trying to stir up some conflict?

Isaac couldn't tell and because of Darius's sudden snap just then, he was afraid to ask.

With all these thoughts going through his head, Isaac didn’t realize that it was getting close to night time.

"We will be traveling throughout the night," Darius said. "Get some sleep if you have to. I doubt we will have a smooth journey."

A thought popped into his head. "Take the Red Passage through the Crimson Woods."

Darius frowned. "You want us to go to the Crimson Woods at night?"

"It'll be faster than taking the normal route to Ironwood Forest," Isaac said. "And we won’t encounter any bandits."

"Yes, I know we won’t because it's the Crimson Woods," Darius said. "If you're not aware, it's the home of the Red Serpent."

"I'm aware and don't worry. We'll be fine." Isaac said. He could see that Darius was having trouble believing him since not many people knew what he knew about the Crimson Woods. "Just trust me. We'll get to Ironwood Forest faster."

"Are you sure?" Darius asked.

Isaac nodded. "I mean, we can just take the normal route and face bandits and monsters if you prefer. I'm not much of a fighter, so I won't be able to help you out. We can just hope to catch Scarlet before they reach Whitewash Peaks."

Darius grumbled. "Fine." He opened the window and talked with the coachman. The coachman argued and after a little back and forth, he relented and they made their way to the Crimson Woods.

It was times like these that made Isaac grateful for his way with words.

The Crimson Woods is a thicket of trees spanning far and wide, just edging near the Ironwood Forest. As with its name, it's filled with trees with leaves that are dark red. If you look at it from above, the Crimson Woods would look like a sea of red. Natural light barely goes through its dense canopy of leaves and the thick trees and roots are impossible to navigate through.

The Red Passage is a pathway that goes straight through the forest and out on the other side. It was created as a safe way to navigate through, but it was useless with the presence of the Red Serpent.

No one knew of its origin, aside from its hellish red color that matches the forest. Coupled with the fact that it’s dark in the forest, the Red Serpent would be impossible to spot. The Serpent was said to be so large that it could swallow a carriage whole. It had made the forest its home and would constantly prey on the people who would dare enter its territory.

Many ventured into the Crimson Woods, but only a few returned and those who do are the lucky ones who have escaped the Red Serpent. Not only is the serpent hungry for blood, but it is also cunning. It uses its red color and disguises itself among the trees, stalking its prey before going for the kill.

Of course, these were all stories that Isaac has heard. But he knew the truth. He'd been into the Crimson Woods.

Less than two hours later, they arrived at the edge of the forest. Thanks to the moonlit night, Isaac spotted the red leaves of the Crimson Woods. In front of them was a clear passage that cut straight through the forest. To their left and right, thick trees stretched as far as the eyes could see. If they took the normal route, it would take them a day longer to go around the Crimson Woods.

"It's not too late to change your mind." The coachman said.

"We'll keep going," Darius said. The coachman sighed and grabbed the reins as they ventured into the forest. His anxiety was justified, of course. This was the home of a monster that could eat this carriage whole.

The carriage went slowly through the forest as the leaves rustled in the night. When they entered, the moonlight blotted away. Natural light barely went through the rooftop canopy of the forest, so the coachmen lit up a lantern instead.

It was clear that Darius and the coachman were on edge. Isaac wasn’t. He poked his head out of the window and whistled in three different pitches.

"What are you doing?" Darius asked.

"A signal."

Darius kept his eye out for any reptiles that he could see. Every time he heard hissing, he perked up and his hand immediately went to the hilt of his sword.

"Calm down," Isaac said. "We're safe."

"How are you so sure?" Darius asked.

Isaac grinned. "The Red Serpent doesn't exist."

"What do you mean?"

"The people in these woods," Isaac said. "They don't take kindly to strangers."

"I thought no one lived here."

"That’s what most people think and they prefer it that way," Isaac explained. "Out of everyone’s sight. The Red Serpent was a rumor that they spread so that people would stop coming into the woods. They prefer to live in secrecy."

"So those stories?"

"All fake. The forest is perfect for it. Do you hear that?" Isaac pointed out the sound of hissing and slithering.

Darius listened intently to the sound of the trees and leaves. "Sounds like a serpent," Darius said.

"It's the trees," Isaac said. "They're carved in a way that when the winds blow through them, they sound like hissing."

"What about the stories of being eaten?" Darius asked.

"Exaggeration," Isaac said. "They were probably ambushed after being tricked that they were followed by a serpent. These people specialize in illusion and deception. They will make you see what they want you to see."

"Hm," Darius said. "Are you friends with them?"

"Oh, not at all," Isaac said. "We’re just on mutual terms. I saved one of them a while ago. I use this passage when I need to travel to avoid bandits."

"So the whistle you did. Was that a signal?”

Isaac nodded. "It's a signal to alert them that an ally is passing through. I guarantee you, no harm will come to us going through this passage. Although, I can't be certain that we're not being watched."

Isaac looked outside the carriage. Even though he couldn't see anything in the dark forest except for the pathway, he knew that they were being watched. The Tribe of the Crimson Woods were one of the few groups of people Isaac didn’t want to mess with. “As long as we don’t pose a threat to them, we’ll be fine.”

Despite Isaac's reassurance, Darius was still cautious. He was on the lookout for any potential threats while Isaac relaxed, knowing that they would be safe.

After an hour or so of traveling through the Crimson Woods, they emerged on the other side. After being in the darkness of the forest for a while, the moonlight seemed blinding. When they got out, Darius seemed to relax.

Isaac poked his head out of the window again and whistled loudly, this time two pitches.

"What was that?" Darius asked.

"A way of saying thanks," Isaac said. "It's not necessary, but I like to show gratitude."

On cue, a similar two-pitched whistle came back from the forest, as if to reply to Isaac's whistle.

Isaac smiled at the thought as they continued their journey.

Line Break

Somewhere along the trip, he fell asleep. But he was woken up by the carriage going into a sudden halt.

Isaac woke up in a daze as he saw Darius step out of the carriage with his sword and shield at the ready. "What's going on?" Isaac asked. Sunlight shined through the carriage windows, meaning he slept through the night.

"Bandits," Darius said. "Stay in the carriage." As Isaac looked outside, it was probably early in the morning. They were somewhere in the countryside with nothing for miles except for grassy hills and empty fields.

Isaac couldn't see up front, but he assumed there were bandits.

Despite Darius's warning, Isaac exited the carriage to witness the commotion. In front of them, was a band of six people. All armed and armored but not to a level that could fight against a Sovereign Knight like Darius. They came in different shapes and sizes, literally. They have an orc, an elf, three humans, and what looked to be a beastman.

Darius stood between them and the carriage.

"Let's make this easy." The beastman said. "Give up your valuables and we'll let you live."

"Didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to rob a Sovereign carriage." Darius hefted his sword. When he charged forward, he moved with blinding speed. For a big guy, he had a spring in his step.

The elf tried casting a spell on him, but Darius was quick to take her out.

Now, Isaac had no problem seeing dead bodies. He's seen his fair share of it. But he usually sees them when they're already dead.

That's why it came as a surprise to him when Darius lobbed the elf's head clean off without hesitation.

The other bandits tried taking him on together, but it was no use. These were merely bandits. Darius is a Sovereign Knight. A highly trained killer. Bandits posed no threat to him.

Within a matter of seconds, he was done. Isaac was at a loss for words.

He'd never seen someone take someone's life before. Granted, it was justified. They were bandits and would've taken his life, so Darius took theirs first. It's not like he didn't understand that.

It's just his first time seeing people getting killed. Isaac didn’t feel disgusted or afraid, but he did feel uneasy.

After Darius was finished, Darius gathered the corpses of the bandits into one place and lit them up on fire. He then put his hands together and muttered a silent prayer before heading back to the carriage. That's when he noticed Isaac was watching him.

"I told you to stay inside," Darius said.

"Thought you needed a hand," Isaac said. Darius said nothing as they both entered the carriage and continued with their journey.

Isaac stared out the window as the scene of the battle kept playing in his head. Darius seemed to notice this.

"You've never seen death before?" The Sovereign Knight asked.

"I have. I’ve just never seen it happen." Isaac said.

"And do you have a problem with it?"

Isaac shrugged. "Not really. I just feel uneasy, but I understand."

"Hm." Darius pondered. "Have you ever taken a life?"

"No," Isaac said. "I never thought there would be a situation where I would have to take someone's life."

"You might have to do something similar as a King," Darius said. "There might be a time where you have to do it."

Isaac snickered. "Makes you wonder why the White Queen chose me to be the King. Can you imagine? A King that doesn't kill? The criminals would have a laugh."

Darius straightened his posture. "I'm not saying you're unfit to be King. I'm just saying you might have to do it."

Again, Isaac snickered but he didn't say anything this time. Why in the world would Scarlet pick him as king is beyond him, but he would like to find out.

After another few hours of traveling and a few more encounters with bandits and monsters, they finally reached Ironwood Forest.

Well, the town outside of it. The Ironwood Town. A town of lumberjacks that farms the trees of Ironwood Forest. As the name suggests, the trees in Ironwood Forest look like any normal tree, except for their properties.

The wood that comes from the tree is as hard as iron, making it the hardest and sturdiest wood in all of Arya. It's almost amazing that the Sovereign Empire doesn't have a monopoly on this town, since it has very high demand from everyone throughout the continent.

"Ironwood Town," Isaac said. "It's my second time here."

"I've been here previously," Darius said but he didn't elaborate. He spoke with the coachman for a bit before he took off with the carriage.

"Where's he going?" Isaac asked.

"To the nearest Sovereign outpost," Darius said. "He's going back to the Royal Capital, so he wants to ask for the Sovereign Empire to protect him through the journey since he can't go through the Crimson Woods again."

"Why?" Isaac asked. "I thought he'd stick around for the ride."

"I sent him back," Darius said. "He has no business with what we’re doing and I don't intend to involve him even further. From here on out, it's just going to be us two."

"That's reassuring," Isaac muttered as the two went into the town.

As expected from a lumberjack town, almost every building here was made out of wood and logs. Isaac didn't blame them. He'd worked with Ironwood before. He tried sawing an Ironwood log by hand for thirty minutes without making any progress. You need special tools and techniques to work with it.

Isaac and Darius went into the local tavern, the first place you go to when you want information. Everyone was giving them the stink eye, and it probably had to do with Darius who was a Sovereign Knight.

The Sovereign Empire isn't exactly welcomed here.

"Why don't you wait outside?" Isaac said to Darius. "I'll talk with the bartender."

Darius seemed hesitant, but he noticed the negative attention he was drawing. "Fine." He said before exiting the tavern. Isaac went over to the counter.

"What'll you have?" He asked. Unlike Big Bob, the bartender was slim and looked bored as hell with droopy eyes and a slouched back.

"White Root Ale, please." Isaac tossed him a silver coin which he caught perfectly. He poured Isaac's drink and handed it to him. It's almost an unwritten rule to order a drink first before you start asking questions. Isaac took a sip of drink as the familiar taste of White Root slid down his throat.

He felt refreshed and let out a sigh of relief.

"What's your business here?" The bartender asked with a cautious tone. Although that's the question, Isaac knew what he was really asking.

Why is the Sovereign Knight here?

"He's just accompanying me," Isaac said. "He's here on behalf of himself and not the Empire. Our visit will be brief."

The bartender seemed to relax a bit. "Are you looking for something?" He asked.

"Three people," Isaac said. "Should've arrived about a week ago. A knight and two women. Any information on them?"

The bartender perked up but did well to hide it. "What's it to you?" He asked. That confirmed that he had heard of Scarlet's party.

"Personal business," Isaac said as he slid another gold coin. "We just need to know where they went and we'll be heading out." He was used to dealing with bartenders, thanks to Big Bob who taught him all the tricks and trades of one.

The bartender switched glances between him and the coins before he took the coins swiftly. "A couple of mercenaries were looking for them a few days ago. Said that those three had a bounty on their heads. I told them they're heading south towards Sarca."

Isaac frowned. "They're going south?" That was the opposite of where they were supposed to go. The White Kingdom was far north.

"The mercenaries are." The bartender explained. "The trio has probably already left. They paid good money to not let anyone know where they’re going."

Isaac sighed in relief. "Where are they headed?"

The bartender shrugged. "Like I said, they paid good money.”

Even without that, Isaac knew they were heading north to Whitewash Peaks. If they’re being chased by the Empire and mercenaries, they’d want to make it back home as soon as possible where people won’t be too keen on following them.

"What's the closest town north from here?"

"Hm. Depends on where you're going. If you're heading for Losteria, it'll be Riverside. If you're going up the mountain, it's Tuplin."

Then that's where they're headed next. "Got it. Thanks." Isaac tossed him another gold coin as a tip before heading out.

When he was outside, Darius was waiting for him. "Well? Have you learned anything?"

"Tuplin," Isaac said. "That's where they're headed. And it appears that we're not the only ones after them." Isaac told him about the mercenaries.

Darius cursed under his breath. "Then we need to move. But before that, I need to give you something.”

He unbuckled something from his belt and tossed it to Isaac. It was the sword he’d bought from Eldric’s shop.

"What's this for?" Isaac asked.

"Protection," Darius said.

"I don’t know how to wield a sword. I'm a handyman."

"I'm well aware of that," Darius said. "But you need something to protect yourself with. It's better to have something rather than be empty-handed."

"Fine." Isaac said as he strapped the sword around his waist. "I suppose we need to–"

Isaac was interrupted when a lady lunged and grabbed his shoulders out of nowhere. "You!" She snarled in a scruffy voice.

"What the–" Isaac was too shocked to do anything, but Darius was quick to it. He grabbed the lady by the color and pulled her away from Isaac before shoving her away.

"Stay away from him." Darius warned her.

The lady looked like a fortune teller. A dark purple robe covered her eyes. She had a blue crystal ball on one hand. "Cursed child!" She shouted at Isaac which caused everyone to stop and stare. "You will bring us nothing but death! You will make everyone suffer!"

"What the hell are you talking about, lady?!" Isaac shouted back as he balled his fists.

"Your family will never prosper. You will die in the name of the Divine Providence! I will cast upon you–"

"And you will die by my sword if you don't leave." Darius growled as he hovered his blade over the lady's neck. The lady hissed and immediately scampered away. With that over, he turned towards Isaac. "Are you okay?"

Isaac took a few deep breaths. "I'm fine." He said. "What was that all about?"

"I don't know. But I think it's best if we leave now."

Isaac couldn't agree more as he nodded and they went for the stables.

 

0