v01c05 – His Answer
947 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Julien frowned as he was writing a letter to Valerie in reply to her own.

This… wasn't really necessary, was it?

No, it wasn't. More than that, what would he really say to her that wouldn't just be pointless/redundant? After all, they'll talk about the same thing when the two of them meet each other again after all.

Thinking about this, he couldn't help but smile. His old friend, Alicia… it's really been far too long. He wasn't anxious, in fact, he was excited. He was truly looking forward to seeing her again, what's more as his favorite character in this game!

He chuckled, well, in reality, he wasn't even Leone anymore, he's the crown prince Julien now, just as Alicia was Valerie Darnum now. They had a lot to talk about, and even more for the future that they would build here. It was rather lonely for him, honestly, being the only one who was from his past life, it likely was for her too, but his mother and the people around him were very helpful in that regard.

He very much felt loved, especially so with his mother. Speaking of which, he'd already told his mother, Queen Elise, of his past life. It was… surprisingly easy.

Not that his mother wasn't surprised, no, she was plenty surprised, but in the end, she didn't see him any differently she even said something rather embarrassing, but very much heartwarming, to him after all.

"So what of your past life? Or those memories you've had? In the end, you're my little prince, aren't you? You are Julien Corven, my wonderful son. Nothing will change that. Thank you for sharing the truth with me, it wasn't so hard now, was it?" Elise said to him with a smile, "Now come here, will you?" she urged, opening up her arms as she pulled him in for a hug.

His mother here, Elise, was far too caring.

It worried him quite a bit, honestly… then again, it would only be natural for her to be that way around him, her son.

She was still a Queen, more than that, she was a powerful magician, one that he could only barely match, even if she tried to overplay his achievements, she was still definitely a monster.

Julien suddenly heard the chime of a small bell, making him turn to the door to the study. He blinked as he saw an unusual person enter the study.

"Elliot? Did you need something from me?" he asked, watching his little brother, the second prince, Elliot, walk into the room with something in his hands. "What's that?"

Elliot came up to him and glanced at the letter he was writing on the table before facing him with a nervous face, "Umm… big brother, can I ask you something?" he was holding the object in his hands tightly, hiding it from Julien's view.

"Of course you can, is there something wrong?" Julien raised his brow, from what he could feel with his magic, the object that Elliot was holding was some sort of metal. Some ornament/accessory maybe? He wasn't sure. "Just tell me if you need my help, I'll always be there for you, you know?" he smiled, ruffling Elliot's bright blonde hair.

Elliot smiled slightly, but he still looked rather nervous, "Um… but, I… I don't want to trouble you and your fiancee later on…" he then pushed the object into Julien's hands, "So, to make sure that I will always be beside you, big brother, I-I made this pin for you…"

"Eh?" Julien blinked, staring at the beautifully made metallic pin. "... mithril? What's more, a dragon design… did you make this, Elliot?"

"Y-Yes, since I really enjoyed metal-working magic, I made this… Is it not good?" his little brother seemed nervous but even then, Julien shook his head and smiled.

"Don't worry, it's good. It's honestly absurd, just where did you learn to use molding magic on mithril? Still… Elliot, you didn't have to do this, you know? I'm not going to leave you, you know?" Julien pat his little brother's head with a smile.

Elliot beamed at that, but he still looked nervous, "I know, but I still wanted to leave a gift for big brother Julien… so that you will always remember me."

Julien blinked at that, before suddenly realizing why his little brother was acting this way. He must have been remembering what had happened with their older sister who was married off to another kingdom. His eyes turned soft as he hugged his little brother, "You don't have to worry about that. I'll never forget you, Elliot. Big sis hasn't forgotten us either, you know? She's just been busy lately that she hasn't been able to visit us."

"... I know." Elliot hugged him tightly, "I don't want to be lonely."

"Don't worry, you won't be lonely, I promise you. Don't you remember that I will be the King? When that happens, you'll always have a chance to meet me, you know? And don't worry, I'll make sure to visit you frequently when that time comes, I promise you that." Julien said, patting his brother's back.

After a few minutes, they let go of each other and Elliot smiled as Julien put the pin on his front pocket. After this he left the study with a grin.

As his little brother went out, Julien started to realize something; his life here wasn't so bad honestly.

More than that, he had many people who cared for him deeply… in some senses, it was overwhelming, but it wasn't really all that different from his past life, was it?

Maybe the incident with Alicia had just put him down a little too much. He didn't know for sure.

Feeling more motivated to see his childhood friend again, he quickly finished writing his letter to Valerie. Though, thinking about it, he didn't really mind it all that much even if Valerie wasn't Alicia from his past life, he would still do his best to work together with her. As friends, and maybe something more…

Right, he has to send the letter now, but he paused as he sensed an odd reaction as he tried to send the magical letter towards Valerie. It wasn't working.

Narrowing his eyes, he held the letter in his hand carefully. Now, how should he handle this…? There are only a few situations wherein something like this can happen, he wasn't sure what could be causing this, but whatever it might be, he was sure that it was something serious and could also have Valerie and anyone around her in danger…

She was heading here with her mother, wasn't she? For her mother, a high-ranking mage in the Kingdom, to even be challenged like this it ought to be rather serious.

The time it would take for a high-ranking mage like Nora Darnum to send out a distress signal with a radio spell would normally be insignificant even in dangerous situations—unless of course, they were trapped in a mana disturbance field. Getting past those takes time, even for the pinnacle of mages in the Kingdom, his mother, the Queen, it would take even longer for Nora to get through that, and for all that Valerie may be powerful with the sword, it wouldn't be enough against an ambush…

Julien quickly shook his head, he didn't have time to think about this—he needed to act immediately before it's too late. Considering that he could still attempt to even send it to Valerie, it meant that she's still alive.

He still had a chance.

Julien snapped his fingers, "Lorentz, inform my mother that Lady Nora and Valerie are in danger and I am on my way to assist them right now. My wand, if you may?"

Lorentz appeared by his side suddenly, a contracted butler of the demonic race. He bowed and handed an obsidian-like wand with various magic gems of different affinities inlaid within it to him. "Shall I assist you, master?" Lorentz asked, looking up at him.

"Please. Though do inform my mother about the situation first." Julien nodded, looking at the letter and the wand in his hands. Lorentz disappeared from his side and he closed his eyes, focusing on the mana signature within the magical letter. It contained Valerie's signature, as it was a letter that was now connected to both him and her—it was their link, so to speak. He searched around the Kingdom for where her signature was last at. He was able to pinpoint the area quickly with his massive mana and magic skill, it was around the woods just outside of Duke Darnum's territory. He could see where they were at, if faintly, four different people were near Valerie, and from the similar signature beside Valerie, he could safely guess that it was her mother, Nora Darnum.

It was hard to accurately pinpoint where they were at with how powerful the mana disturbance field around them was but it didn't matter much to him. Not with this wand he'd made.

Taking a deep breath, he then used the transfer magic that was in the magic letter, bypassing the disturbance field using the amplification of his wand, but just before the transfer magic fully completed, he immediately rewrote the transfer magic slightly and instead of sending the letter to Valerie, he replaced it with himself.

The composition of magic spells is interesting, and it's rather absurd to think that there would be an exploit with the system, but… he'd just done that right here. Though it would have definitely been much safer had he created the transfer spell himself, it was much quicker to use the spell within the letter and just reprogram it on the fly.

Many things could have gone wrong, there's a reason why you don't retroactively reprogram a magic spell that isn't fully activated yet—but he'd learned something as he was playing around with magic throughout his time here in this world… there was a small interval where one could reprogram and recompose a spell safely while it was activating.

It was when it was about a second and a hundredth just before it activated. There was only a half millisecond to work with, but it was enough for him.

After all, his wand's amplification also affects his mental processing speed.

It used up a lot of mana, but he was the Crown Prince Julien III, the Prince of Corven. In the visual novel Riverside Crossing, the world they were in, Julien was said to have the single most amount of mana that could ever be placed within a living being. The amount of mana he had… was comparable to that of a dragon.

Mana consumption simply didn't exist to him.

Julien opened his eyes with a shout, "Rewrite!" the world around him suddenly warped, and accompanying a flash of light, he found himself in front of Valerie.

He smiled at her, "Alicia, you're way too sentimental, you know?"

It was odd, seeing the shocked face of Valerie as also that of Alicia, but… well, here they were. Her eyes suddenly started to water, "L-Leone…?"

Julien chuckled, "You dummy, I could never hate you." he then he turned around, watching the stunned faces of a hooded man and a rather scantily-clad woman who had a staff floating beside her. "Oh dear oh dear… I see that you two have attempted to hurt my dear fiancee." he clicked his tongue, shaking his head at them, "I can't let the two of you go now, can I?" a sinister grin appeared on his face as he pointed his wand at them, "Now… please stay still."

He activated a… rather specific spell on them. 

Julien's eyes glowed green as he stared at them, "Forever."

… perhaps his mother was right, his power was quite scary.

26