v01c09 – As A King
851 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

King Ardiel V furrowed his brows as his wife, Queen Elise, had just informed him of the situation that had befallen his son, Prince Julien III. Normally, as unusual and unbelievable the things that generally surround his son were, he never really found them all that unpleasant or worrying. He knew his son the best, right after Elise, as he was also someone who closely monitored Julien, but for the first time, although this wasn't something he had much control over, he really did feel worried for his son.

The Devil Rebellion Army… what were they looking for, to target Duchess Nora of Darnum? Ardiel may be the King, but he wasn't exactly someone who knew of the history of everyone under his rule. He wasn't omniscient. Elise seemed to know something, but she didn't look all that sure either, as though it was some secret that not even he, the King, should know.

He sighed, looking at the large doors to the throne starting to open as a knight went in, standing by the side of the door.

"His Highness, Crown Prince Julien III has arrived! Duchess Nora of Darnum has arrived! Lady Valerie of Darnum has arrived!" the guard announced, as the three people walked towards him.

Ardiel's eyes met with Julien's and he relaxed, seeing that his son was fine, if a little tired. He smiled slightly, nodding to the knight who went back out of the throne room as the door closed.

He looked at the people beside him as they all knelt with one leg before him. "Greetings to His Majesty, King Ardiel V." they said simultaneously.

Ardiel nodded, "Rise." he said to them, making them rise as they looked up at him. "It seems something rather unfortunate happened?" he asked, this time smiling wide as his son had a slightly deadpan look. "Something which caused Julien, of all people, to move out of the capital too…" he chuckled, watching as his son practically sweat dropped.

"Father…" Julien sighed with a tired voice, "I'm not a loner."

"Oh no, I didn't mean to imply such a thing, my son. Whatever do you mean?" Ardiel smirked, relishing in the slight glare his son was giving him. Ah, if only he had more time to spend with his children, he truly would want to be around with Julien a lot more. It's no wonder Elise and Elliott always stayed nearby.

Hmm, now he wondered how his dear daughter was doing in the Villere Kingdom…

Ah, he was getting distracted again, he listened to Nora this time as she spoke about what happened.

"Your Majesty, if I may…" Nora started, seemingly in consideration of Julien as she glanced at him momentarily, "The assailants… Grandmaster Xanis and Leia have confirmed the traces to be from that of the Devil Rebellion Army." she then paused, hesitating for a moment, before a determined look crossed her face. "King Ardiel, I think I know what they were aiming for."

Ardiel's eyes hardened, "What is it?" he asked, though upon looking at Nora in front of him, he had an idea already. Her mana…

"It's my Mana Core." Nora said, before lowering her head as she knelt once more, "Your majesty, forgive me for hiding such a crucial fact, but I was simply afraid that it would have leaked out if I said something about it. More than that… I was careless. Please, forgive my impudence."

It was as she said. The Mana Core within her right now… it was unique. An [Intrusive-Type] Mana Core, what's more, with her capabilities it would be natural for it to be higher than Grade 6.

For all that the time it would take for her to cast spells would take an incredibly long amount of time and focus, what she was capable of creating was still something fearsome even for someone like Ardiel who was at the level of a Grand Sage. 

… no wonder why she was a Master Sage close to Elise.

"Rise, Duchess Nora." Ardiel said, shaking his head slightly, "If that's the case, then I cannot blame you. Even for the Devil Rebellion Army, an [Intrusive-Type] Mana Core would be a valuable resource to them if they were to get their hands on you." he then looked at Valerie, "Lady Valerie, if I'm not mistaken, you said that they tried to ignore you to attack Duchess Nora?"

"Yes, they had attempted to distract me to quickly get to my mother, but I was able to fend them off long enough for Crown Prince Julien to arrive." Valerie said, before kneeling with her sword on the ground, a symbol of a knight taking an oath, "Rest assured, your majesty, I will never forget the debt that I owe his highness, I shall endeavor myself to serve this Kingdom to the best of my abilities alongside his highness, Crown Prince Julien."

At her actions, Ardiel's eyes twinkled. So it seems that this girl truly is something special… Truly, Elise's eyes cannot be fooled. And to think that she already favors Julien so much… no, she favored him already way before this life. At this point, this kind of dedication was something that would truly be impossible to believe if he had not seen it himself.

He laughed, "Very well! Since you seem rather eager and confident, I can assume that the two of you have already made a decision on the engagement?" at their nods, he grinned, "Good! Very good… Well, that's how it is for now. I'm sure you're all tired, you especially, Julien, so for now, rest easy, we shall continue talking about this tomorrow. Duchess Nora, Lady Valerie, you may leave. Julien, stay behind for a bit."

"As you will, your majesty." Nora and Valerie curtsied and they went out of the throne room. Not before Valerie glanced at Julien one last time.

Seeing that, Ardiel could be satisfied, but now that he's alone with his son, he sighed, leaning back on the throne.

"Long day?" Julien asked, though he had a fatigued smile on his face,

"Long day." Ardiel agreed. "Julien… what do you think?" he said, straightening himself once more as he looked at his son seriously, just as Julien did the same to him.

His son had a frown on his face before he suddenly pulled out a red crystal out of the air, and his demonic butler, Lorentz, appeared beside him. As a recording of the events that had transpired not long ago was projected into the air above the crystal, they said nothing.

As the two people Julien had gone up against lately had gotten out of their petrification, the recording paused.

Lorentz then moved his hand towards the projection and zoomed into something within the cloak that the so-called Johann had. A dark violet glow was present there suddenly.

The succubus' ring on her finger also seemed to give off that eerie violet glow.

"This." Lorentz spoke, "This isn't something that the Devil Rebellion Army would easily have access to."

"Spell dispersion artifacts." Ardiel mumbled, an astonished look on his face, "At the very least… no, the Southern Empire shouldn't be involved in this, right?"

"I… am not so sure about that." Julien said as brows knit together, "At the very least, they wouldn't truly attack until almost 8 years from now, if the events in the game still stand till then. Even so, it's not just the Southern Empire that would have the ability to possess such artifacts."

Ardiel considered that, closing his eyes as he started to worry about the future. Then he sighed, "At the very least, we have to make sure to cover up what had just happened. Elise should be working on it now, how about you, Julien, do you think it'll be safe with them?" he asked, hinting at the guests that had arrived with him just now.

Julien just smiled, "At the very least, we have to protect her mother." he then chuckled, "Though… with how you've called me here, father, I'm assuming that what you wanted to talk about wasn't just all that?"

Ardiel had a weary smile this time, he wasn't looking forward to talking about this, really, "Indeed… It seems that the 7th Saint Candidate has appeared." he then frowned, "It is as you've said. The 7th Saint Candidate… is Marie Lazerun, daughter of Baron Zeref."

Julien let out a breath at that, "Her story begins… looks like we have to get ready even more now, huh? Father—no, King Ardiel V, will you finally grant me the official rank of Sage?" he asked boldly, a fierce look on his face.

Ardiel could only laugh pitifully.


Announcement
next chapter... probably 3 days from now, I've been distracted from writing lately with all the stuff I'm reading lol.

UPDATE: I'll be going on a bit of a break for a while, only until February rolls around tho. Stay tuned for more, and thanks for reading my story so far.


Announcement

UPDATE: This story will be going on a hiatus for now while I try to figure out where I want to go with this. Sorry, but I really do just want to make this story as good as I can right now. If you want to talk to me or ask me stuff or whatever, just join the discord link on the summary. Thanks for reading so far, I'll do my best to continue this later and finish this story well.

15