Prologue
85 5 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I think I lived an okay life.

It was currently 8:00 pm.

As I lay rest upon these soft and fluffy white sheets while reminiscing about the past, the door suddenly creaked open. Although it was not a pet peeve of mine, it did somewhat annoy me with that sharp and painful sound every time it opened. How I wished they would fix it, but beggars can't be choosers, is what they would say.

I heard a familiar voice calling out to me as I slowly opened my eyes.

"Ah! You're finally awake! You haven't ate yet, right? Hmm Hmm~ !" The origin of the voice was in deep thought. After a short pause, the voice perked up once again. "So, would you like the great me to provide you something~?" they said with confidence. "For instance...like apples or pears? ... Or me~?" exclaimed the excited and bubbly voice.

This person never fails to amuse me.

"Haha~ Thank you very much for the offer, Rii. I will take the pears then." I said while laughing lightly at the nuance of his gesture. He then brought his left hand to his hip while reaching out for something in his bag.

"Mou~!! You completely ignored what I said at the last bit, huh!" he said as he made an obvious frown. "Oh well,  it's just like you though~ So it's okay~!" he exclaimed as the frown quickly turned into a bright smile.

His personality changed slightly though, huh. Though, it did brightened me up a lot in the past with his simple, yet blunt, enthusiastic expressions. Ever since we met in elementary school, we somehow became best of friends, even though our personalities were on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Back then, Rii was actually a pompous, cold and arrogant type of person, like an ore-sama. Where as I was never the one to talk a lot, probably making me an introvert, but he didn't mind it at all. He would always come and try to talk to me after class, even though rumors had it that he was like an 'Ice Prince'. I chuckled to myself remembering about that. Ice Prince. Who on earth names a child in elementary school a prince? Oh my oh my, thinking about those elementary school days makes me want to burst out into laughter. Honestly, how did we even become friends? Oh well, no need to sweat for the details. The important thing is the present. It's that he is right there in front of me, and that's what is most important to me.

Although it really made me happy that he continued to talk to me, I'm definitely not going to say that to his face though because he wouldn't let me hear the end of it.

"Here you are! A pear delivery express by your truly, the great Rii~☆ !" he proclaimed with a smirk as he slowly made his way towards me, with a pear in his hand. He then handed the pear to me, patiently waiting for a response. I swiftly took a small bite out of it, and then the juicy sweetness exploded in my mouth, making the corners of my lips curve up. It was delicious.

"Thank you, Rii. It tastes amazing." I beamed as I gave him a small smile. "It tastes better than the food they serve here." I chuckled as I took another bite out of the pear. It really brings me to joy when he comes to see me since he is the only one left that regularly visits me in this dreary room. My other friends and family slowly stopped coming to visit me as time went on. Am I sad, you ask? Yes, bur it's okay since Rii's visits always wipes the melancholy out of my head.

After some time passed as we talked over the silly stuff that happened in school, his voice solemnly turned into a worried tone.

"...Hey, Camilla..." he croaked out.

"Y-you....will get better, right?" He softly spoke to me as his lips trembled. Slowly, tears were forming under his eyes, yearning for a confirmation, even if it was fake. I silently stared into his disheveled face as tears traced down his left cheek. With my right hand, I reached to cup his left cheek to wipe away his tears. I wanted to tell him I was okay, but I do not want to lie to him in my last moments.

After a brief moment of silence, I spoke up.

"I cannot get better, Rii. The doctor said I won't live the next sunrise." I calmly said to him. I already expected I had no more time to live. This unknown disease of mine has already penetrated deep into my central nervous system, making me unable to move the lower half of the body. As with the other patients that were diagnosed with this disease, when they were unable to move their lower half, they soon died within the next couple of days.

"I'm sorry." I took in a deep breathe, trying to calm my soon, non-existent nerves.

Another moment of silence came in once again. He could not utter a word of comfort because that would only add onto my pain, since I knew I was going to go already, and he knows it too.

 Soon, his arms that were quivering swiftly pulled me into an embrace. His head, gently burrowing into my shoulders, unwilling to back down. My chest tightened upon his action, with my breathing steadily becoming harder and harder to swallow. He slowly began to unwrap his arms around my frail body. Before he could speak, a voice shot up.

"It is 9:00 pm already. Visiting hours are over. Mr. Ritsu." The nurse said in a monotonous voice. She then took him by the collar and dragged him out of the room.

"Thank you." I said to him before he was gone, shooting him my last smile.

Soon, silence remained once again in the bleak room that I was in.

"Thank you..." I muttered to myself.

Slowly, my eyelids grew heavy, and the dreary and desolate world that I was in turned dark.

3rd POV - The Next Day, Before Dawn.

He rushed up to the counter once again the next morning to check in as early as possible to meet her once again. He did not care if he skipped class. The only thing wanted most right now was to be there in her last moments.

After the nurse came in with the proper documents and a visitor signature, she lead him to the room that she was in. He came into the room and soon came into view of the figure that he always knew behind the white drapes. He slowly approached the figure and opened the dangling curtains that surrounded the bed. He was soon devastated as he saw a limp body that was covered with a white sheet, enveloping her body.

The feeling that welled up within him seeped through as he could no longer withstand the pain. As much as he tried holding it in, his throat tightened and soon he had a short intake of breaths. Trying to rationalize the situation to fix his incoherent thoughts, his bottom lip quivered as the world around him rapidly turned blurry. Grief trickled down the mess inside of him as his red and swollen eyes bursted into tears once again.

He knew.

He knew that the hand that once gave him warmth and comfort for the last couple of years, was never to be felt from again.

0