Monica
144 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zack looks… Different, was the first thing Monica thought when she and her mother arrived at Nicole’s apartment and saw the boy they’d come to collect. They’d gone all the way upstairs to meet them, after about ten minutes of Nicole saying they would be down in ‘two shakes of lambs’ tail.’ They knocked on the door, and a few more minutes passed before someone finally answered the door. 

It was Amy, Nicole’s teammate. Monica had heard a lot about her- at first mostly that she’d made a very bad first impression, but slowly more and more positives about her: that she was honest and hardworking and surprisingly nerdy, then that she was cute and sweet, then that she had a kind, gentle soul… Monica wondered if they’d gotten together yet. Her big sister the superhero and her superhero girlfriend was something that made Monica squee: it was just such a cool idea!

Amy wore an orange short-sleeved dress with no tights or leggings, and somehow wasn’t freezing in the cold damp of late autumn. Her arms hung lazily at her sides, while a welcoming smile decorated her face. It was a marked change from when they’d first met and she’d had a seemingly permanent resting bitch face. Perhaps true love’s grace had changed that for her! 

“Hi Mrs. Nygaard, Hi Monica,” Amy said. 

“Hello, Amy,” Mom said. “Where’s-”

“AreyouandNicoledatingnow?!” Monica said in a rapid blur of a sentence, smiling from ear to ear.

 Amy chuckled, “I’m sorry, what was that?”

“Has the USS Namy set sail!?” Monica asked, standing up on her tip-toes. 

“Ah, now I understand,” Amy said. She turned to the interior of the apartment and shouted, “Babe, am I allowed to tell your family about us?”

“Um, yeah sure, I suppose,” Nicole said as she stepped out of what must have been her bedroom, wearing a long, billowing black skirt and a navy blue blouse with ruffled sleeves. Her nails were manicured and painted pink, while a golden cross necklace hung around her neck. 

“Wait, you two are dating?” Mom asked. “When did that happen?”

“Two days ago,” Nicole and Amy said simultaneously as Nicole walked up and gave Amy a peck on the cheek.

“EEEEEEE!” Monica bounced up and down. 

“You two are dating and you live together,” Mom said in a flat voice. Uh-oh.

Nicole blinked rapidly as panic spread its wings across her face. “Um- I- we’re not… We haven’t- you see-”

“We’re not sharing a room,” Amy said. “We’re both good Catholic girls, Mrs. Nygaard, I promise you nothing untoward has happened with me and your daughter. Zack slept on the couch last night, he can attest to it.”

“Uh-huh,” Mom said, eyebrow raised, hand on her hip. “Well, that better stay the case for the time being, or I’m going to be a lot less comfortable with this living arrangement.” 

Monica decided now was a good time to change the subject. “Amy, Nicole- what do you think of my outfit?” Monica gave a twirl in her burgundy wrap-dress and black tights, pearl studs in her ears and an iron heart necklace bouncing on her front.

“It’s cute!” Amy said. 

“I love it,” Nicole said, relief overtaking the panic on her face. 

“Eeee, I’m so happy I have a big sister now I can talk about fashion and stuff with!” Monica said, glomping onto Nicole and then pulling Amy into it as well. Amy patted her back gently and whispered something into Nicole’s ear, but Monica didn’t hear what it was.

“Where is Zack, anyway?” Mom asked. 

“Right here,” a familiar yet slightly-off voice said from Nicole’s room. Zack emerged as the source, his eyes red in a way that suggested he’d been crying mere moments prior. That was… Definitely different, as was his lighter-colored hair. He wasn’t as blonde as Nicole or Monica were, but he was blonder than he’d been three days ago. He looked shorter, and his clothes, his rumpled black Alice In Chains t-shirt and red flannel and blue jeans, seemed bigger and baggier on him. All that and the tears notwithstanding, though, his expression was the same sullen, bitter expression her big brother had worn for about as long as she could remember. 

But crying… That was different. 

Mom rushed in and wrapped Zack up in a tight hug, squeezing while Zack patted her on the back. Monica hoped he wouldn’t be offended by her not doing the same. Shouldn’t be- not like they’d ever been close.

A memory called out to Monica from the back of her mind, of the last time she’d seen Zack cry, two years ago when he hadn’t made the freshman basketball team. She’d heard him through the door of his room, and when she’d opened it and asked what was wrong, he’d chucked a basketball at her and screamed to get out. 

“Are you okay?” Mom asked him, still hugging him. Usually, by this point in the hug, Zack was squirming to get out of it, but this time, he seemed… Content. Maybe even happy for the affection? Something was going on here.  

“Been better,” Zack said. “Been worse.”

His voice was different. Not by a ton, but it was at least half an octave higher. 

“Oh, um, Mom, I was wondering something,” Nicole said. She put a hand on Zack’s shoulder. “We talked things over and we’re okay now. Honest. And we were wondering if this one here could keep visiting me on weekends?”

Mom’s eyebrows raised again, while Monica’s face furrowed with confusion. 

Mom opened her mouth, “I-”

“Ah come on, that’s not fair!” Monica said, stomping her foot. “He gets to but I don’t?”

Nicole blinked. “I didn’t think of that. Um-”

Zack’s eyes peeled wide with visible terror. Wow, thanks Zack. You get rewarded for being a big jerk and- “Monica, obviously you’re invited too,” Zack said. 

… What?

“I’m okay with it,” Amy said, helpfully. 

Another memory echoed inside Monica’s skull: a chilly autumn morning, a Sunday like today, where Nicole and Zack had decided to go hiking. Monica had wanted to go with them, but Zack threw a fit that it was supposed to be his and Nicole’s ‘brother time.’ Eventually, Nicole relented, on the grounds that Monica didn’t have any hiking boots, but still… Zack hadn’t had to smirk when Nicole had said that, didn’t have to give Monica the middle finger as they left.

And now… 

“I think we’re putting the cart before the horse here,” Mom said flatly. “Zack, you still have your disciplinary hearing tomorrow. We can plan what your future will be after that. Sound good?”

Oh boy, here comes the argument-

“Yes, ma’am,” Zack nodded. 

… What?

After a few hugs good-bye, the three of them took their leave. When they got to the minivan, Zack said to Monica, “D-d-do y-you want the front seat?”

Monica blinked, and a dozen memories of Zack snarling at her when she tried to ride shotgun instead of him echoed in the theater of her mind. One of them was from a week ago. 

“... Sure,” Monica said. 

“Actually, Zack, I’d like you to ride shotgun so we can talk more easily,” Mom said. 

“Oh, okay,” Zack frowned. “Next time,” he smiled at her. 

Monica tried to remember the last time her brother had smiled at her, or even near her. She came up empty. 

The city yielded to highways, which eventually yielded to the endless forests of New Hampshire. The sun had set by the time they re-entered Manchester. Zack and Mom had spent the whole time discussing their game plan for the hearing: Zack was determined to tell the truth, that he’d lost his temper and thrown the first punch, but Mom insisted he include that he was defending Nicole (exact words) from bigots. She told him that he should make that a point, that he was taking a stand and defending his family, defending his trans sister whom he loved no matter what. And Zack… Agreed. He said he’d apologized to Nicole, that he wanted to do everything he could to make it up to her, and that this would be part of that. 

Monica was less than convinced. It seemed a lot like trying to trying to distract from the actual truth that Zack had gotten into a fight and he deserved to-

… No, no, he’s still your brother and he deserves an education. Even if he’s a butt. And now he’s dying his hair, apparently. Wonder what that’s about?

That was when her phone dinged, and she checked her text messages and exploded into tears as grief and pain shook her body.

Zack’s head whipped around. Monica flinched, bracing herself for his berating scream, but instead, concern and empathy painted his face in protective hues. “Are you okay? What’s going on?”

“Ben… Ben dumped me!” Monica said, showing him the message in which this new reality had been conveyed to her. They’d started dating over the summer, things were going great, he’d been her first kiss, and now… Now… 

“That asshole!” Zack shouted. “He dumped you with a text?! Unbe-fucking-lievable!”

“Language, Zachary,” Mom said as they pulled up the hill to their house. They’d lived in the same two-story house Monica’s entire life, just outside the city limits, surrounded by woodlands on all sides, rising above them only through the steep slope that submitted past the treeline, flanked by two other houses of a similar size and color. “Though you’re not wrong. I’m so sorry, kiddo.”

“Mom,” Zack said, “Can we table our talk for now? I think I’ve got the gist of it, and we can go over it again tomorrow. Let’s just try to help Monica right now.”

Monica gulped, burying her face in her hands. 

They herded her inside the house, past the trans pride flag and the American flag and the New Hampshire state flag that hung from the porch, and Zack quickly vanished upstairs and came back with Monica’s favorite teddy bear Mr. Bultitude. “What’s this?” she asked. 

“I thought… Maybe… ‘Cause you,” Zack stammered. “Please take the bear.”

She nodded, then took the bear and squeezed it to her chest. 

Zack spent the rest of the night with her. They sat in the living room, a small blue-carpeted room nestled between the tile kitchen and the wooden stairs to the top floor where their old, boxy television and ancient driftwood coffee table lived. He put on her favorite movie of all time, Legally Blonde, and watched it all the way through with her while Mom made roast chicken and mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner. The hole in Monica’s chest slowly started to subside as Zack told her that any guy who dumped her in a text message didn’t deserve her anyway, which was nice to hear. She just wished she knew why Ben had done it. And she wished she knew why Zack was doing all this. 

The next morning, Monica woke up to find Zack had made pancakes for the three of them, singing along to Paramore’s ‘That’s What You Get’ while he flipped a flapjack on the skillet. Nicole’s favorite band wasn’t something Monica thought Zack enjoyed, but she must’ve made a compelling case for them over the weekend. He yelped, high-pitched, and terrified, when he registered her presence, but then smiled nervously and put pancakes onto three plates and set up the butter and syrup before Mom could step in. 

He was quiet the whole way to school, and Monica walked with and Mom to the office where Zack’s hearing was to be held… 

Only for the door to said office to burst open, and Zack’s friend Mark stepped out, hands in his pockets and a sad smile on his face. 

“Um, what’s g-g-going on?” Zack asked. 

Mark shrugged. He was a mid-height boy, with short brown hair and kind hazel eyes… Honestly, he was incredibly pretty, in a way that reminded Monica of her now ex-boyfriend. That was when Mark’s father, Mr. Van Pelt, stepped out and cracked his knuckles. He mussed his son’s hair and said, “Well, I think takes care of that.”

“Takes care of what?” Mom asked. 

“Oh, I just reminded the school board who donated this year’s budget for the drama club,” Mr. Van Pelt said, his Dutch accent stretching out his words. “Me. I- it was I who did so.”

“To what end?” Mom said. 

That was when the principal, Dr. Calpurnia Rylance, a heavy-set older woman with a permanent scowl scribbled onto her face, stepped out and looked at Zack. “You’re off the hook. This time. But this doesn’t happen again. Or you’re gone.”

Zack nodded vigorously. 

Dr. Rylance turned to Mom and said, “The flag stays, but it stays in your room. Don’t bring any more, and don’t go around advertising your daughter coming out. I’m going to look the other way for the sake of optics, and because you’re a very good teacher. But this doesn’t go any further. And frankly, I’m not convinced you should be outing your daughter to everyone you know, but I guess that’s beside the point. Carry on.”

Dr. Rylance closed the door, leaving them all out in the hallway. 

Mr. Van Pelt swayed back and forth while adjusting his glasses and standing on his tippy-toes. “Mrs. Nygaard, a pleasure as always. Leeettle Nygaards, be sure to be good, or Vunter-Slash will not reward you like this again. And my boy,” he said, turning his gaze onto Mark. He put a hand on Mark’s shoulder. “My dear boy. You’re truly becoming a fine young man who stands up for what he believes in. You have found her, now go and get her, tijger. She is waiting for you.” 

“Ja, Vader,” Mark nodded. He hugged his dad, and the old man left. 

Mom’s eyes darted back and forth briefly, then she said, “I should get to class then. You kids have a good day.”

Leaving the three of them standing in the hallway together. 

Monica blinked so fast the world was rendered in jump cuts. Zack, meanwhile, was staring at his friend. He’d mentioned that Mark had been on his side during the fight, but this was… Well, this was a serious flex, all things considered. 

“You… You didn’t have to do that,” Zack said. 

Mark shrugged again. “They were at fault. You were not- you were standing up for your sister. Er, your older one.”

“Thank you,” Zack said softly. 

Mark smiled. “Anything for you, beautiful,” he said, poking Zack’s nose. 

Monica’s jaw dropped, and it was Zack’s turn to blink at a million miles per hour as Mark whistled the tune of ‘Hey Jude’ while waltzing away whimsically. 

Zack started walking through the pristine hallways of the brick building, and Monica followed close behind. “What was that about?” Monica asked. 

“I have no idea,” Zack said. Was he blushing?

“None at all, seriously?” Monica asked. “He called you beautiful!”

“First time he’s ever done that,” Zack said. He was definitely blushing. 

“I didn’t know he was into guys,” Monica said, hand under her chin. 

“I… I’m not sure h-he…”

“... What?”

“Nothing.”

“You’re not sure he what?”

“Nothing,” Zack said, more firmly this time. “I gotta get to history class- I’ll see you once school lets out.”

And with that, her brother took off down the hall, leaving Monica alone and more perplexed by her surroundings than ever before. 

It didn’t stop there. Monica got to lunch that day in the wide, sterile, depressing cafeteria and found her seat filled by another girl. And Ben was sitting right next to her with her arm around her. She marched up to them, and said, “What’s going here?”

“Oh,” Ben said, “Uh, hey, Monica-”

The girl he was holding, a tall redhead wearing designer shoes, turned to Monica and said, “Oh, hey you! Sorry, I guess you didn’t get the memo: nobody related to a gross tranny comes within twenty feet of my Bennie-pie! So fuck off!”

And Monica’s so-called friends all remained silent, all staring down at their respective lunches with the utmost intensity. 

Tears filled Monica’s eyes, and she ran out of the cafeteria as fast as she could. She retreated into the girl’s bathroom and scrubbed off her running makeup, then washed her face and went back outside. 

Zack and Mark were waiting for her on the brick landing outside the bathroom, leaning against the wooden walls that separated it from the cafeteria. Zack ran up and hugged her, something he would never have done last week, something he wouldn’t have been caught dead doing in public a mere three days erstwhile. “We saw what happened across the cafeteria. You okay?”

“... No,” Monica said. She really, truly wasn’t okay. It wasn’t that she’d never been humiliated like that, or even that it had never happened in public, but… She’d thought high school would be different. She’d gotten a boyfriend, she’d had a great freshman season in cross country, she had friends… And now she didn’t. Now she had nothing again. 

Except that wasn’t quite true, was it. At least she still had her family.

Zack brought Monica to eat lunch at a mostly-empty table with him and Mark, when previously he’d hissed at her for even saying hi to him during school hours. He and Mark met her outside of her last class of the day and walked with her back to Mom’s car when the bell rang, when previously Zack had always shown up at the car late and alone. When they got home that night, he helped her with her math homework when previously he’d told her to fuck off and figure it out herself. He had Mark over for dinner that night, when previously he’d barely spoken to or about any of his so-called friends after school hours, save for the occasional hunting trip. The strange, pretty young man with his kind eyes told a bunch of funny stories about growing up in the Netherlands, and Zack laughed like a baby seal at all his weird anecdotes. 

And then next day, Zack made breakfast again, and did all his chores, and was all smiles and hugs around Monica, and watched whatever TV shows she wanted with her before bed when he’d only seven days ago called her stupid and said everything she watched was evidence of her stupidity. 

Something was going on. Monica wasn’t sure what, so she texted Nicole one night, lying in bed, asking what had happened between her and Zack. Nicole’s end of the chat simply had an ellipsis for ‘still typing’ for about twenty minutes. Finally, she answered with, ‘I’m not allowed to tell you.’ At least now she knew something was going on. 

When Friday came, and Zack and Monica waited in front of Mom’s car for her to pick them up and take them home to pack so they could go to Boston tomorrow, Monica asked one more time, “Are you sure you don’t mind me coming?”

“Not at all,” Zack shrugged. “There’s actually something I need to talk to you about when we’re there, and it’ll be easier if Nicole is there too.”

Monica noticed that Zack wasn’t packing any clothes. He wasn’t planning on wearing the same outfit all weekend, was he? Ugh. 

The ride down was uneventful. After several weeks of nonstop carnage, there hadn’t been any demon attacks at all since Halloween. Mom dropped them off out front, and Nicole and Amy met them there for the proverbial hand-off. 

“Be good! And Nicole, Amy, no canoodling in front of the kids!” Mom said. 

Nicole blushed beet-red, while Amy just laughed and said, “Don’t worry, Mrs. Nygaard, I’ve got her virtue locked up tight!”

“Amy!” Nicole said. “TMI.”

“Pft, sorry.”

Mom just laughed, then drove away. 

They hiked upstairs, but Amy put a hand in front of Monica’s chest as Nicole and Zack stepped through the front door. 

“Uh, what’s going on?” Monica asked. 

“Just… Hold up a second,” Amy said. “A few minutes. There’s someone we need you to meet. But you have to promise to be cool about it. Okay?”

“... Sure?”

“Good, good.”

Ten minutes later, the door opened. On the other side stood two young women: one was Nicole, and the other was a few years younger, with sandy hair held back by a pair of golden clips, clad in a plaid skirt and a black blouse, face full of makeup highlighting a nervous smile. The thing that stood out the most though were her eyes. They were… 

They were the color of-

“Hi, Monica,” she said. “I’m Iris.”

Realization clicked inside Monica’s brain. “Oh. Oh! Oh my God, I have two big sisters!”

Monica jumped forward and hugged both Nicole and Iris, and Amy gently pushed them all inside to talk. Monica sat next to Zack on the couch, while Nicole took up residence on the loveseat.

“I’ve only really known about a week,” Z- Iris. Iris said. “And I’m only like this when I’m here. When I’m home, I still need to be Zack.”

“Okay,” Monica said, “But… Why?”

“B-because I-I’m not really trans,” Zack said. 

Monica raised an eyebrow. Amy, for her part, brought twin Hanazawa beers out of the fridge and handed one to Nicole. “Um, Zack- Iris-”

“I’m not!” Zack… Iris said. “I… I’m not really a girl. This doesn’t… This doesn’t mean anything. I just… H-have a girly side. But it doesn’t mean I-”

“It doesn’t?” Monica said, tilting her head to the side.

“Monica,” Nicole said gently but sternly. “If she says she’s not, she’s not, okay? She can’t… She doesn’t the pressure on her.”

“B-b-besides, I don’t d-d…,” Iris stuttered. 

“Don’t what?” Monica asked. 

“... Nothing. But you can’t tell anyone about this.”    

“Why not?” Monica asked. “You know Mom and Dad would be fine with it.”

“Yeah, but it’s Mom,” Iris said. “She makes everything into a fight. Into a cause. And I get it, she wants to support us no matter what, but… She almost lost her job and I almost got thrown out of school. If I tell her right now, she’ll start bringing more flags to work and I’ll have a target on my back. So I can only be Iris when we’re here, and it doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t. Okay?”

“Okay!” Monica said. “I understand completely.”

“We mean it, Monica,” Nicole said. “This has to stay a secret- just like Amy and I being superheroes has to stay a secret.”

“Hey, I understand,” Monica said. “This… This makes a lot of sense. And I’m… I’m really happy for you, Iris. You’re a lot nicer like this. And… I’m really proud to have you as an older sister. Both of you.”

Then it was Iris’ turn to cry, but she didn’t have to clean up her face or fix her makeup alone: she had her sisters for that.  

10