The Resolve (Re-uploaded)
35 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Takeshi makes his way, following Kenichii from the public baths on the left side of the academy to the main hall, where Kanroji currently is.

"So well, this is the assembly hall." Kenichii points to the centre of the academy as he speaks.

"And if you walk straight ahead from the bath, you'll reach the armory.

And from there, if you walk south from the main hall, you'll reach the training hall. We have an internal training hall for when the weather is bad and an external hall, the one you saw when you came into the academy.

That's the main place where we spar and learn different things."

Takeshi was trying to think about the things that bothered him but was badgered at every turn by Kenichii.

"To get to the kitchen, you have to enter the corridor, but don't turn at the first right, as that leads to the bath from which we just came. If you go straight ahead, you'll find it. And to the left, right before the kitchen, is the infirmary.

You got all these? Even if you don't, you'll get used to it in a few days, so don't worry." Kenichii extended his index and thumb fingers and pointed at Takeshi.

"Umm..."

"Yeah?"

"Why are you telling me all this?" Takeshi suddenly stopped in his tracks and asked him.

"Uhh, because you will have to know all this from now on?

Duh, what kinda question is that? Also, don't forget to run with all your might when the bell for lunch and dinner rings, or you won't get anything haha." Kenichii made a surprised face, ending with a laugh as he said this.

They continued to walk.

"Why would I have to know all this right away? I'm not a student here yet."

"But you will be."

"Not until I clear the trial."

"Oh, I don't think you need to worry about that, you are most likely gonna be admitted without the trial."

"No, I won't get in that way."

"Whaa-? But why?"

"This wasn't how my grandfather wanted me to get in.

He wanted me to clear the trial and then get into the academy."

"B-But you are the grandson of the legendary Takahiro Tachibana, not to mention he's our Sensei's friend. I doubt he'll make you do the trial, especially given the current state of affairs."

"Given the current state of affairs?"

Takeshi's tone changed. There was a total shift in the atmosphere. Kenichii suddenly realised that he said something he shouldn't have, again. Takeshi stopped walking and was standing ahead of Kenichii.

"Uhh..." Kenichii was lost for words again. Here he was, trying to cheer up a guy, and he had failed at it, twice now.

"So what you expect me to do is, use my grandfather's death as an excuse and get into the academy? Use the sympathy that I might get out of it? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE ASKING ME TO DO?"

"Nooo, no.

Calm down, Takeshi-kun, I really didn't mean that, I didn't intend to sound like that." Kenichii waved his hands, indicating his disagreement.

"I'm really sorry if it felt like that.

But what I mean is, I don't think Sensei will conduct a trial this year. Since his friend died.

And because of that, he might take you in, without a trial.

Even if you wanted to get in through the trial, like your grandfather wanted you to, you might end up staying here. I don't think Sensei will let you go back alone.

Besides, I'm sure Sensei would want to train his friend's grandson in his stead. That's all I was trying to say." Kenichii bowed his head and apologized sincerely.

Takeshi snapped back to reality after he heard all this.

He realised that he had suddenly gotten angry without knowing it. He didn't have any right to yell at someone, let alone at some stranger who he had just met and at someone who was just trying to help him.

"Ahh, I'm really sorry, Kenichii-san.

It was wrong of me to be angry and yell at you, who was just trying to help me. I am really sorry."

"No, no, it's fine. I should have worded what I said better, so it's my fault.

Also, please stop being this formal with me. I did tell you to call me by my first name, didn't I?"

Kenichii waved his hands and smiled at Takeshi.

"Okay, if you say so."

"You can stop being cold too; that doesn't suit you, humph." Both of them started to walk again.

"Heh." Takeshi chuckled as he heard Takeshi sound like a shy girl.

Kenichii was genuinely surprised and happy that he got to see Takeshi's smile that day.

He was happy that, despite being grief-stricken, he was able to put a smile on Takeshi's face. He thought that he should keep that lit up, no matter what happens.

"So, what are you going to do with the other sword?" Kenichii looked at the swords on Takeshi's obi.

"Ahh these... I'm gonna hand over both to Kanroji Sensei." Takeshi said as he touched the hilt of both swords.

"Ohh okay.
Wait, both? Why? You can keep your grandfather's sword to yourself, right?"

"Yeah, I guess, but I made a vow to myself about this sword, and I have to see it through."

Both of them had reached the front door on the left side of the main hall.

"Kanroji Sensei, it's Kenichii.

I have brought Takeshi-kun." Kenichii announces his arrival to Kanroji.

"Ahh, come in, both of you." Kanroji's sound came from the inside of the room.

Kenichii opens the door, and the both of them enter the main hall. Kanroji was standing in the corridor inside the main hall.

"Takeshi Kun, how are you feeling right now? Kanroji was standing there with his hands folded, looking through the window.

He turned around after this and faced Takeshi.

"I assume you took a bath and got some rest?"

"Yes, Sensei, I did, I'm feeling better now." Takeshi said it in a polite manner.

"Ahh, good, that's good to hear.
Kenichii, can you give the both of us a moment here?"

"Yes, Sensei, I'll be leaving now."
Kenichii bows to Kanroji and leaves, closing the door as he exits the main hall.

"Takeshi-kun...
I'm sorry." Kanroji bowed to him and apologized. 

Takeshi was taken aback by his sudden action.

"Sensei, what are you doing? You don't need to apologize, it's not your fault.

If anything, it's mine. So please, don't bow to me."

"No Takeshi-kun, If only I had placed more guards and had monitored the outskirts of the village and the forest, this wouldn't have happened. This occurred due to my negligence.

It's my fault, to begin with, that I never tried to seek out Tachibana after he left this place. Although he told me not to go after him, I should have still pursued him.

It's because of him that I got to where I am today, and he is the reason why all of this exists.

We would occasionally send letters, telling each other what's going on, and he would always make fun of me by telling me not to come after him like the old days.

Hahh, a fool I was... Back then, and I still am.

Anyway, these are all... matters of the past.

He's going to be cremated here, and I'll see to it that his soul departs this world peacefully."

Kanroji looks at Takeshi and notices that Takeshi is still down. It's not like anyone can get back on their feet after their loved one has died, and that too, the last person he had that he could call family.

He knew that there was nothing that could be done to cheer him up. He had to go through this, this grieving phase, and he has to move on.

Such is life.

It plays games with you, on you, and even breaks you down. But at the end of the day, you still have to stand up, dust yourselves off the crumbs of the past, cherish what you hold dear, and move on.

Whatever the path you may take, that is all on you, but the first step, it is something you have to make eventually.

Kanroji thought it'd be best to change the subject.

"You know, your grandfather has probably brought you here so that you can master the Ancient Emperor Style Swordsmanship and surpass everyone.

But what he probably wanted you to do is, to make sure you lived a good life. And whatever you do to achieve that, I personally will make sure that it becomes a reality.

So, I have to ask you this once and for all.

Are you sure you want to walk the path of the sword? The world outside, is not a bed of roses, especially for those who walk down that path. And when people come to know about you and who you are, it'll only get harder.

So, I want you to consider this seriously, knowing that there won't be any going back." Kanroji folded his hands as he posed this question to him.

"Yes, Sensei. I want to walk down this path. I want to fulfil my grandfather's wishes." Kanroji felt that Takeshi's response, while strong and bold, still had a lot of uncertainty attached to it.

"Okay, I understand. Keep in mind that there's only so much that you can do when you are doing something for the sake of another, even if it's someone you love. But this will be fine for now.

You can determine the rest by yourself as time passes." Kanroji smiles at him and pats him on the shoulder as he walks past him. He continued speaking.

"The Sword Apprentice Trial for this year is cancelled, and I'm directly taking you in as the sole student for the year.
We will start your training in a couple of weeks, so I want you to be mentally prepared for it by then."

"Sensei, regarding that, I want to say something."

"Hmm? What is it?"

"I thank you for this, but I cannot accept this. I cannot enroll here like that."

"What? Why?"

"Sensei, my grandfather wanted me to take part in the trial.

He wanted me to know what it feels like to compete with other talents and where I currently stand."

Takeshi took a deep breath as he continued.

"He told me,

'You are obviously weaker compared to other samurai your age. The ones who took up sword training way before you. 

Not to mention, you have the physical prowess of a toddler. So you should know, or rather you must know, where you stand amongst talents of your age...

It's fine if you fail, and like I said, you are most certain to fail, but that doesn't mean you are weak or you should give up.

You can use that experience—that failure to know more about yourself and push yourself further.

That's what life is all about...'

And I... want to honor his wishes..." Takeshi says as tears start falling from his eyes.

"Hehe, that sounds like him alright." Kanroji smiled and then patted Takeshi.

Kanroji felt really sad.

He remembered how Tachibana helped him train and get back to his feet a long time ago, during their time in the academy.

Kanroji wasn't the most positive, hyperactive kid among other children his age. Despite most of the academy children being orphans, they made up their own factions and all and he was never included in any.

That's when Tachibana befriended him, and his life changed for the better. The rest is history.

There were only a handful of people who mattered to him, and all four of them have left him now. But they were there for him, through thick and thin.

'Maybe it is time for me to be that someone who matters. Wouldn't you agree?'

Memories and pictures of Tachibana, Ishida, Iwao, and Airi filled his mind.

No matter how much time it takes or what risks he has to take, he will be competent enough by the time he leaves the academy.

"All right, I will conduct the trial, and you can join the academy the day you pass the trial.

But I should warn you, it will not be easy.

Not to mention, it'll be even harder for you since you have never done any training or know of any sword technique that you can use to fight. Even if you did, training and a battle are two different things."

"That's fine, Sensei. I will train. I'm ready to work for this." Takeshi's eyes lit up with determination, but it was just a mask of lies he wore on himself.

"Good, good, that's the spirit." Kanroji smiled and closed his fists.

"You can stay here while you participate in the trial. There's a dorm for the students who are currently staying in the academy, and I want you to remain here, regardless of what happens. It's my request."

"Yes, Sensei, I will stay here."

"I'll tell Kenichii to show you the dorms." Kanroji said as both of them walked towards the door. Suddenly, Takeshi stopped.

"One other thing, Sensei...."

"Hmm? What is it, Takeshi-kun?"

Takeshi hands over the swords, which were tied to his obi, to Kanroji.

"Ahh, Kaguya, this brings back memories." Kanroji picks it from Takeshi's hands and smiles as he looks at it.

"Hmm..?"

Kanroji couldn't believe his eyes, for he saw something that he thought he would never again see in his life. He wasn't sure if it was really what he thought it was, but there was no mistaking the aura that it emitted.

'Could this really be...

"inaudible response"

Well, I'll be damned.' Kanroji thought to himself.

There it was, in Takeshi's hands, a black-colored hilted sword, in its leathered sheath. Kanroji slowly pulled out the sword, and he saw the pure black blade, with a deep purple and black aura emanating from it.

It also had "影き" carved into it. There was no mistaking it after seeing this.

"Wait, Kageki?? How did you get this?
This should be in the possession of the 2nd Prince of the Ming Empire." Kanroji pulled out the entire sword and looked closely at it.

"Sensei, the bandits who attacked us had this with them, there was a young man who was using this."

"Using this? Do you mean to say that, he was able to use the sword's abilities?"

"I'm not sure, Sensei, but I think so. Grandpa seemed really surprised after seeing him fight."

'Of course he was. There aren't a lot of people in history who are able to wield the Kageki.

Takahiro and I both saw firsthand how hard it was for Iwao to just use this properly.
In the earlier days, when we had just met, the attacks from this sword would often miss or not even land properly.

And at times, even if it connected, it would end up not having enough power to hurt a rabbit.

And the both of us would laugh at him for going at his sword and badmouthing it for hours.

But Iwao was a genius among geniuses, not only did he awaken the blade in 3 years, but soon after, he forged his own techniques into his blade within 10 years, which is an incredible feat."

'There is someone who is able to awaken the blade and use the ability? This doesn't bode well.' thought Kanroji.

"If it's not much trouble, can you tell me what all occurred at that time?"

Takeshi tells him all that he saw, the bandit leader unsheathing the sword, the young man suddenly attacking Tachibana, and how he was able to hold his footing with Tachibana.

And when the Kageki user was injured along with the leader after Tachibana used one of his abilities and was rendered immobile and unable to fight, the crossbow user attacked him and shot him from behind.

The thought of what happened angered Kanroji, but he suppressed it.

'They could've never touched a hair on his body, despite him being old. Had it been a proper one-on-one fight without sneak attacks, then...'

But life isn't a fair duel, and Kanroji was well aware of that. He regained his composure, and while listening to the rest of it, he was rather surprised by how a young man amongst a group of bandits was able to do this.

'Hmm, a group of bandits crossed the mountain pass over to this village and prepared to ambush two pilgrims. And the bandit leader was well aware of who they were targeting and was meticulously prepared for it. The more I think of it, the fishier it seems.

Wait, could it be?

Skilled assassins under the guise of bandits, whose only intention was to obtain the sword. Tachibana did tell me in that letter that there would be a time when a threat would come, for all the legendary sword wielders. Could this be related to that man?

After all these years, now?'

"So did this young man flee?" Kanroji asked as he sheathed the Kageki.

"I'm not sure, Sensei. I don't remember anything after I picked up Kaguya."

"Hmm, okay, so was it Tachibana who used the Lunar Blossom?"

"Lunar Blossom?"

"Ahh, never mind the name, did you happen to see Tachibana use an attack which released a brilliant white light?"

"No, Sensei, I didn't see anything like that. Kenichii mentioned something like that too.

I was there for the most part. But I did find myself waking up later on. That was when I saw a big crater on the ground. And bones were scattered. I was focused on getting his body to the village, so I didn't linger there."

'Hmm, it is strange... Wait, could it be?' Kanroji scratches his beard.

Kanroji looks at Takeshi after thinking to himself.

'Could it be that he awakened Kaguya?'

Kanroji averts his gaze and walks towards the window as he continues to ponder.

'It shouldn't be possible technically, in order to awaken the sword, one must clear the sword trial, and for that, he must know basic sword techniques and have quite the physical strength.

The other boy awakening Kageki would still be valid as he was able to fight one-on-one with Tachibana. He was still alive after going against him.

So he must be proficient in fighting and could technically be strong enough to awaken it.

Hmm...

Or could it be... that Kaguya was the one responsible for this?

Hmm, guess I will have to wait to know about this.'

"And then what happened?"

"They mentioned that they were after the sword that my grandpa had and that they were the ones who burned my village down and killed both my parents because my grandfather had refused to hand over the sword to them."

"Ohh, I'm sorry you had to hear that."

"No, Sensei, it's fine, if anything, I feel more grateful towards my grandfather for protecting me all this time."

There was silence for some time, after which Kanroji asked this.

"Did they mention anything else?"

"Umm, let me think, oh right.

They also mentioned something about Grandpa humiliating some Lord."

"Lord eh?"

'Hmm, as I thought, he is the one behind all this...
I don't know why "that man" is doing this, but I do regret letting him live that day. We should've tried to do something, even if it meant some sacrifices.

Considering the power he possesses, it's dangerous to let him do as he wishes, but there is no one left who has the ability to keep him in check.

The future is looking bleak, I'm afraid.'

"Hmm, well, you don't need to fret about that. I'll do some checking on that matter.

You just focus on your training and the trial."

"Okay, Sensei, I understand.
Ahh, Sensei, please keep this for me." Takeshi hands over both swords to Kanroji.

"Okay, I'll keep the Kageki." Kanroji takes the sword from his hand. Kanroji could still feel the aura coming from the sword.

'Well, it's a good thing that he can't sense it for now. Even if he had the slightest reception to ki, this might've ended up being fatal to him.'

"No, Sensei, I want you to keep both. I'm not ready to wield my grandfather's sword.

Once I finish the trial, enroll here, master the Ancient Emperor Style Swordsmanship, and prove my worth to you.

I think I'll be worthy enough of wielding it."

Kanroji saw the determination in his eyes, which reminded him of a young Tachibana. He couldn't say no to someone with that kind of vigor.

"Okay, I'll hold onto it for you. You have to promise me that you'll keep the word you just made."

"Yes Sensei, I will."

"All right then, off you go." Takeshi bows to his Sensei and leaves the main hall.

Kanroji looks at him with fondness and smiles.

"Hmm, I wonder how this child's future will unfold.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm glad, Tachibana, I really am.

I have the honor of watching over your grandson."

Kanroji walks to the engawa and sits there, keeping the swords by his side.

He proceeds to enjoy the view as he gets lost in thought.

To be continued.

7