Baptism of Blood
27 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Huff Huff"
Badum-Badum...

Sweat trickling down the cheeks, being wiped off from the forehead.
The sound of knuckles popping.

All the while, cheers and shouts and whispers filling the background.

Takeshi nervously looking down and to the side, thinking of the match, collecting his thoughts.

He moves his hand towards the hilt of his sword and closes his eyes.

He proceeds to contemplate his situation, as he closed off his mind.

He heard very low sounds which gradually became louder.

"Takeshi!
Takeshi!" (in a low voice)

"TAKESHI!" said the voice as it shook his entire body.
"Huh? yeah?"

"Why are you spacing out right in front of the arena?
The Announcer is almost done with the introductions.

You are up." Kenichii spoke.

"Yes, yes, I-I got it." Takeshi, despite having collected his thoughts, still had a concerned face.

"Oi, I know you are nervous, but it's gonna be fine.
Don't worry about it too much.

Like I said before, take this match as an opputrunity to experience how a fight is, all you have been doing until now was training, but now its time to put into practice.

Even if you lose here, there is a take away for you. So focus on that.
Keep calm, watch your opponent, analyze him, make use of all the things you have learnt until now and fight, Got it?"

"Okay I think I'm good to go now."

"Good." Kenichii pats his back and leaves.

Takeshi walks towards the arena, shrugging off any doubt he has temporarily. He takes his place on one side of the arena.

He takes a deep breath and slowly opens his eyes to see his opponent on the other side of the ring. Masayoshi had his eyes closed, and seemed to be concentrating.

He had no idea who he was, what clan he is from, whether he is nobility, whether he is strong, or if he is weak or anything. As far as he can see, they are both samurai who have come here to face each other and fight. And that's all that should matter.

Kenichii walks to the sidelines and joins Kaori, who has been standing there. She seems to be looking intently at the arena and lost in thought.

"Yo, so you came to watch the fight of the person who you, apparently hate the most."

Kaori didn't respond, but Kenichii continues to speak.

"Ahh, remember when the both of us fought against other samurai in this same arena, then we both faced off against each other in the semi's. Ahh, good times..."

Kenichii turns to see Kaori making a disgusted face.

"Huh? What's with that look?"

"Ugh you talk as if this happened decades ago, it was just a year ago, geez man.
Also, I totally whopped your ass in that match."  Kaori chuckled as she said this.

"Hey, Hey, I "Fought bravely". That's how the story went.
Also, excuse me for not being born into the Himejima clan. If I were born there, I would've totally whopped your ass."

"My my, I can't believe I'm standing next to a man who says he will kick the ass of a woman.
Oh god, how low the world has fallen."

"Hey, don't play the "Ooh I'm a girl" card whenever you want. There's no man or woman in samurai, all are equal."

"Aah, see people, look how this shameful man is justifying hitting a woman." Kaori said in a teasing tone.

"Ugh well, My apologies Ohime-sama."

"I've told you not to call me that. Also you were the one who disturbed me with your useless banter."

"Anyways, what do you think of the one facing Takeshi, is he good? Does Takeshi have a chance."

"How would I know if he has a chance or not? Humph. As far as I'm concerned, I want him to lose, I want to see what he has to say for himself after that. I'm not done with him yet." Kaori said as she started to get riled up, but she continued speaking.

"Well, looking at him, he sure has a steady ki flow, it's not that the output is high, but it's controlled, which gives him a good chance in this tournament as any other. If he knows any basic sword technique and is good enough in it, Dara-shi will be out before he realizes it."

"Oi, you don't have to say it like that.
But still, is it that dire?"

"Well I'm saying based on what I can see right now. The match hasn't even begun yet, it's too early to say anything, although, like I said I have no hopes for him."

"Hmm, That's true. Well let's see." Kenichii had a very concerned look on his face, but he knew that he should trust in Takeshi, and regardless of what happens, it's fine, he can help him get back on his feet again.

"ALL RIGHT PEOPLE, NOW FOR THE MUCH AWAITED FIGHT!!! BOTH WARRIORS ARE IN THE ARENA.

I assume you both are familiar with the rules, There is no time limit, no disqualifications, first one to fall unconscious or submit loses, that is all. Both warriors draw your sword and ready your stance."

Both of them drew out their swords, and changed into their fighting stance. Takeshi, closes his eyes, concentrates on the Ki around him.

"AND NOW LET THE FIGHT BEGIN!!!" 'Ding Ding Ding'

As soon as the bell rang, Takeshi started to charge at Masayoshi, who was looking straight at him. Takeshi, who had been trying to sense the ki flow in the arena, got frustrated quickly, as he couldn't sense his opponents' ki. 

'Damn it, why can't I get a read on him. It feels like a dense cloud of ki in a large mass which is moving around every second.

You know what, to hell with that, I'll just use karuiashi (light foot) and charge in for the attack, then I'll withdraw and attack based on his reaction. My footwork's not at all good, so I have to make do with this.'

His attacks were on point, but were weak. It didn't seem to have enough power behind it, and it didn't. Him not being able to do the footwork properly made Takeshi's situation even worse.

"Ahh his main weak point is getting exposed in the very first attack." Kenichii said with a sad face.
"What weak point?" Kaori enquired.

"I don't know what exactly the thing is, but whenever he trained with me in the first draw style, he couldn't do the footwork properly. He would either fall down or leave himself open."

"Ohh, okay.
Wait you taught him the first draw style? Are you crazy?"

"What?"

'whispers' "You taught him our academy's sword technique when he is not even enrolled here? Do you think that was a good idea genius?"

"Woah, woah calm down. What was I supposed to teach him? I don't know any other sword style, he doesn't know any sword style and Sensei told me to teach him basics of everything."

"Okay, but not the basic technique of the academy!"

"Relax, its fine, Sensei didn't say anything against it."

"Ugh, oh well. Not like he is doing it properly anyway. If anything he's gonna make a mockery out of it."

"Can you stop and focus on the match Kaori?"

"Humph"

The fight continues, with Takeshi attacking continuously, he used karuiashi relentlessly to keep up with Masayoshi.

As for Masayoshi, he easily dodged every single one of Takeshi's attacks without breaking a sweat. There was one striking factor though... All this time, it was Takeshi that kept attacking him. Masayoshi never attacked him, or blocked him.

This realization was another blow to the confidence Takeshi had. He steeled himself, concentrating and focusing his ki on his legs for karuiashi. Right after he reaches him, he shifts from it to omoiashi (Heavy steps). 

He plants himself firmly using it and slashes Masayoshi, mustering every ounce of his strength. 'Swooosh' The slash attack came from his right hand from the lower end to the top left of his body. 

As impressive as this strategy was, the execution of it, until the follow through of the attack,  failed to have the intended impact, because of his flawed footwork. Him wobbling at the end caused the force which was applied on the slash to be lost, in part.

'Clang' The swords clashed as Masayoshi blocked it at the last moment.

As a result, this too, failed to make an impact. But this attack was good enough to make Masayoshi have his guard up again, and he blocked the attack, although he was taken aback by the speed of the attack.

Despite the failed attempt, making Masayoshi raise his sword to block his attack raised Takeshi's confidence. He focused on the sword and decided to make the next attack right after to seal the victory.

Just as he pulled back his sword from the failed follow-through, Takeshi felt a quick flow of wind on his chest and torso. He looked down to see a long cut in his hakama, followed by a red streak which quickly started to spread to other parts of his clothes.

A stream of blood gushed out from the wound, which fell like a relentless downpour of scarlet beads. Each droplet glistened momentarily in the light before surrendering to gravity and falling down to the ground.

The sensation of pain came soon after, with Takeshi moving his left hand towards his chest and touching his own blood. He was faltering in his steps, but he moved away from Masayoshi. 

As blood was dripping at an alarming rate, Takeshi started to lose consciousness and fell down. Kenichii, Kaori and the Ishi(Medic/Physician) assigned to take care of injuries rushed to the arena.

As Takeshi fell, he could see Masayoshi slashing his blade again to remove the blood on the sword, following which he sheathed his sword. The announcer walked towards him to see how he was, and then walked back to Masayoshi and raised his hand. 

Takeshi realized that he had lost, and he could he whispers all over from the crowd.

(whispers) "See, I told you, this isn't Tachibana's grandson"
"Look at him, he's so weak, he didn't even last more than 10 minutes"
"Hahh, this imposter, he deserves it. How dare he try to steal the Tachibana name and stain it."

Takeshi couldn't process all of this due to the severe loss of blood and fell unconscious right after.

Kenichii and the Ishi carried him to the Medical Tents on the sides of the arena and set him right on to the beds that were arranged there. Kaori followed them to the tents.

There was a huge uproar in arena sidelines due to the so called "imposter" losing and Masayoshi winning. Everyone was supportive of Masayoshi as he eliminated the stain on the Tachibana name.

"Hmm... well that didn't go well. He barely got any time to learn everything properly and was pushed into the jungle full of animals. I just hope he didn't hear all those comments." 
Kanroji who was standing on the back side of the arena, thought to himself as he saw Takeshi being carried away.

"Hmm, oh well, I expected a bit because of Tachibana, but this fledgling barely started to walk, yet alone learn to flap his wings." Yoshihiro, who was sitting on the frontlines of the arena, thought to himself.

"But you know...
The way he switched from karuiashi to omoiashi at that unbelievable speed during the match...
Hehehe
If that's not an indication of his blood flowing in that young man's veins, I don't know what is.

There is only one other man who is capable of doing that."

Kanroji and Yoshihiro both smiled at the same time, and spoke.
"This boy is indeed interesting."

**

Takeshi was patched and laid onto the bed to let his wounds heal.
Kenichii and Kaori remained there, inside the tent while the rest of the Ishi left for the arena.

Both of them looks at Takeshi lying on the bed. They then take a seat beside him.

"Well, he fought well, he can't really blame himself, he was outmatched pretty much."

"Yeah right. You do realize all of these warriors are barely into the sword apprentice stage?
If he couldn't stand on his own for ten minutes against them, he's not gonna get anywhere in this world, let alone get enrolled."

"Hey, they are all either from esteemed families or have received some form of training. All he got was one month of training. Also as I recall, you don't even like him, why are you here?"

"And again, whose fault is that? He didn't train even after Tachibana-san called him for years, if anything he deserves it.

Also I didn't come here to like him, I came here to mock him Humph." Kaori turns her head to show her displeasure

"Seriously? Is this even the right tim-, Never mind who am I even talking to." Kenichii nods his head in discontent.

Kenichii keeps on looking at Takeshi and he gets lost in thought quickly enough.

Several hours pass, they remain inside the tent while the matches scheduled for day 1 of the trial ensues. Right before noon, Kaori leaves the tent after telling Kenichii that she is gonna go grab lunch and asks him if he wants to come, but he nods in response to indicate he doesn't want now.

Some time after, Takeshi slowly wakes up.

"Uhh...
Ugh that hurts." Takeshi moves his arm to rub his eyes, and he looks around to see Kenichii sitting in a chair by his side, asleep on the side of his bed.

He inspects himself and sees several bandages around his chest, they were stained red a bit here and there but the color was dull.

"Kenichii..."

Kenichii wakes up slowly and sees Takeshi up on his bed.

"Ohh Takeshi, You are finally awake, God I was so worried.
How are you feeling? I know it might be stinging, but how is it? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay I suppose, it doesn't hurt that much, so its fine."

"Ahh that's a relief. You know-"

"Kenichii..."

"Yeah?"

"I lost miserably didn't I?"

"No, No, You fought well, you were up against someone far too stronger and experienced than you. 
Don't you dare beat yourself over this. You barely had a month to prepare, with that I'd say you've come so far."

"B-But still..." 

Kenichii noticed that Takeshi's voice had started to falter and drops of water falling on the sheet. He looked up to see a Takeshi who was gritting his teeth, as tears rolled down his eyes.

"I let down everyone... Sensei, You, Kaori... and myself. I thought.. I really thought I would be able to win."

'Oh no, what do I do, what do I do, my man started to cry all of a sudden and I don't know what to do, I wanna comfort him somehow, but what if it makes it worse, Oh i wish I had a wingman to help me out here. Aww crap, I forgot the only other people I'm close with are 2 hard headed idiots and a showoff chick, who would kill this guy if she saw him like this...

Oh God, Oh God, Oh God...'

Kenichii went full-on panic mode, and was in a mental state where he couldn't think anything.

"I think... I think I know what to do."

"Huh?" Kenichii broke out of the loop after he heard that.

"I need to go train... there's one more chance for me right? I have time, even if it is only a couple weeks... I'll be able to pull it off."

"Umm, okay, lay down for a sec. First of all, you are injured. Secondly, YOU HAD A MONTH OF TRAINING AND IT WASN'T ENOUGH, YOU THINK TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE INJURED WILL GET YOU THROUGH??? ARE YOU DUMB? THE HIT YOU GOT WAS ON YOUR CHEST RIGHT? NOT YOUR HEAD YEAH?"

'Good job Kenichii, yell at the sad man who is trying to get himself together, that works waay better than the jokes doesn't it.'

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I'll get to my training after I'm healed."

"Good, Good" 

Also Kenichii internally, making a bewildered face 'HUH???? THAT GOT HIM BACK TO NORMAL? WHAT THE HELL?'

'Humph, He's totally gonna go train, maybe not today, but tomorrow for sure.' thought a Kaori who stood right outside the tent in a place where she can overhear the conversation and yet not be caught. She was carrying two plates with food on her.

'Well, I guess he can come eat by himself now.' She thought to herself as she walked away.

Takeshi lays down after his conversation with Kenichii and closes his eyes after Kenichii says he will grab food for both of them.

Left alone in the tent, he thought to himself. 

'I have to push myself here, it wont ever be enough to make up for all the time I've wasted so far, but I owe it to myself and the people who support me to work hard and push through any adversaries.'

With this thought, he decided to take a small nap before Kenichii came again.

To be continued.

10