Seclusion
17 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oi"
"Yeah?"
"Here, have some more curry."
"Gee, thanks Furuta-san." Kenichii said
"Ohh, don't worry about it, you kids have been running around a lot since the tournament started.

At the very least, you should get to eat well.

And since the battles for today are still ongoing, I doubt if anyone would come here right now.

Eat up while you can, haha."

Furuta was a cook at the academy. She was a relatively old woman, in her 60s. She wore a grey kimono with an obi. She had wrinkles on her face, showing her age, grey hair, which was tied in a bun and always had a smile on her face.

Well, of course, for the exception when the brats tried to steal more tempura than they were allotted.

"Yeah, that is true, in a couple of hours, we won't even be able to come anywhere close to here." Kaori remarked.

"How's Takeshi-kun doing?
Is he awake now?"

"Yeah, he is doing better, he woke up and talked to us for a bit. We then left so that he could take some rest.

Ohh right, while we're on that.
Furuta-san, can you set aside some rice, curry, and tempura for him?

We were thinking of bringing it to him after we ate.
He hasn't had any food since last night so..." Hisako said in response

"Sure, Hisako-kun, I'll keep a plate ready for him, just come see me after you three are done eating."

"Thanks Furuta-san."

Furuta didn't say anything, she just smiled as she watched the trio leave with their plates.

The trio started to walk towards the dining hall.

"Umm, Kenichii, I'm curious, why didn't you get surprised or ask more about the leopard attack on Takeshi?

I, for one, was really curious when he said something about it, and I thought you would jump in and ask him.

But you didn't, so I thought maybe I shouldn't either." Hisako asked Kenichii as they both walked side by side.

Kaori, who had been walking just in front of them, slowed down a bit, enough to not be noticed by them, but still at a distance where she could hear them properly.

"Well, I could see that he was really tired, and there was something else on his mind, based on what he mumbled while he was asleep.

So, I thought, If he wants to tell us everything right now, then that's acceptable.

And even if he doesn't, he will tell us about it himself, when he feels like it.

It isn't our place to pry, no matter how curious or concerned we might be." Kenichii said, as he looked up momentarily.

"Ahh, that's true.
Well, I'm surprised that you can think like this. Haha, honestly, you are the last person I'd expect to be so thoughtful."

'Well, that makes two of us.
Hmm, even so...'
Kaori thought to herself, and she remembered what Takeshi was mumbling during his sleep.

"I'm sorry, Grandpa.
I'm relying on shortcuts again, aren't I?
...

Thank you... Grandpa..."

'He dreamt about Tachibana-san, and some parts of the dream came out of him like that. Hmm, well, let's see what he is planning to do.'

The trio reached the dining hall, had their fill of the food, and then returned back to the kitchen side to get Takeshi's portion.

They then left the hall for the medical tent where Takeshi was sleeping.

"Hmm, he still hasn't woken up."

"Hisako, Kaori, you guys can go ahead if you want, I'll stay with Takeshi here."

"Hmm, okay. I'll go check up with Sugihara-Sensei.
And see if he needs anything.

Let me know if you need anything." Hisako said as he turned to leave.

"I'll go see Murakami-Sensei and tell him what all happened after we left earlier this morning.
I'll be heading over to the arena after that." Kaori follows him after she says this and leaves the tent.

"Well, guess that's that." Kenichii sighs as he lays down the food on the table and sits on the chair next to Takeshi's bed.

"Well, thanks for bringing my food."

"Huh?? You were awake? How long were you up?"

"Yeah, woke up just now."

Takeshi sits up and then turns to take the food off the table.

He starts to slowly chow down on it.

"So how you feeling now?" Kenichii asks as he smiles at him.

"Better, I suppose.
It does hurt a bit, but it's manageable."

"Ahh...
This is what happens when you don't listen to me, haha."

"Sorry about that."

"Well, it's an experience that comes with the package. Don't worry about it."
Kenichiii says this as he pats Takeshi's shoulders.

"Well, what's next? What do you plan to do after you heal up?

You said you weren't going to take part in your next chance.
You seem like you have figured something out.

That was one of the rarest moments where I have seen you so confident."

"Haha, well, it is something like that, I guess."

Kenichii remains silent, as he sees Takeshi taking a pause, as if he were to say something next. He thought he should allow him to say whatever he wishes to share, rather than try to pull it out of him.

"I... I saw my grandfather."

"You saw your Tachibana-san? Where?"

"After the leopard attack, I managed to get away from there, and I ran in the opposite direction from the village.

I ended up in front of a cave beside a river. I thought I'd take shelter there, but I collapsed right before I could enter it.

After that, I saw a dream where I was in Kiyomizu-dera, one of the places I visited during the time I travelled with him. He told me a lot of stuff. I initially thought it was someone else impersonating him, but it was him alright.

Then he gave me some advice, he said that he wouldn't tell me what to do next or what I should do with my problems, rather, I should find my own answers to them.

Ohh right, you remember how I couldn't use the footwork in the First Draw Style properly? It seems like there is some issue with my leg, and it wasn't just me.

My grandfather and my father too had it, apparently."

"Wait really? So it must be some disease that runs in your family."

"Yeah, I think so too, although he said he didn't know if his parents had it or not, so I don't know. Well anyways."

"Wait, wait, hold on. If your grandfather had the same issue, and he developed his own technique, which was based on Ancient Emperor Style.
And he was known as one of the strongest samurai there ever was...

That means...
He figured a way out to to fix his issue with his legs."

"Yes, he did, he didn't tell me what it was or how he did it.
He said he wouldn't tell me and that I had to figure it out by myself.

I agree with him, after what he said, I realized that fact.

I also may have figured out how his first technique is like.

It's like-..."

Kenichii interrupts Takeshi before he can say anything.

"No, no, hold up.
Don't tell me about it. It was your grandfather's technique, it's better that anything about it remains with you.

Also, not to mention, I might try to imitate it so that I can be as strong as him, haha"

"Okay, alright." Takeshi says this as he smiles at Kenichii.

"You wanna be as strong as him?"

"Well, of course, which samurai doesn't wanna be like that?

Although, I guess, it's not my ambition per se.
I just want to be strong enough to protect the things I love, and want to protect.

It's not too much to ask, is it? haha."

"No, no, of course not.

I wish I could be like you, though. I'm following my grandfather's wishes and his dreams.
He told me that I needn't follow it, and no matter what I do, He'll be happy as long as I'm happy.

But the thing is, I really didn't have any ambition of my own, any hope for my future, on what I should do next.

But I do now, I have taken it upon myself to see it through. That I will be a Sword Emperor."

Kenichii smiles. "That is a good mindset to have. But you are wrong about one thing, though.

You aren't doing this just because it was his dream for you. No matter how it is, there is only so much you can do for someone else.

This is very much your own ambition, as it was his."

"Thanks for that, Kenichii."

Takeshi looks outside through the gap in the tent.

"Well, I thought I should say this to you before anyone else.
After I heal up, I'm going to go into seclusion. I don't know how far I should go or where I should go to be fair.

I want you two to be here, waiting for me. If it's not too much, that is. haha.

But I'll be going to train alone, work on my footwork, and the techniques I know.

I'll be away for, I don't know, as long as it takes me to be good enough or whenever I am confident enough to face you all again. I'll try to return by the time for the next trial, or the trial next year at this same time."

Takeshi turned to the side to see a surprised, dumbfounded Kenichii, with his jaw on the floor and eyes popping out far from his head.

Takeshi keeps on looking at him, as he is confused by the reaction. At best, he expected him to scream or get angry.

He tried to close Kenichii's jaw a couple of times, and each time he did and removed his hand, it went down and dropped onto the floor.

"You are kidding me, right?"

"Huh? what No!
I'm being serious."

"Seriously? You went out to the forest this morning and got attacked by a leopard and ended up in this state.

What's gonna happen to you, if you are far away somewhere and don't have anyone to reach out to?

I understand your dedication and motive to improve yourself, but can't you do it while you are in the academy itself?

I'm sure we can make an arrangement for a room just for you.

This is far too dangerous for you as you are right now." Kenichii said after he recovered to his original state

"I know, I know, but I have to do this, I have to take this risk, or I won't get ahead.

This is important for me, Kenichii, please understand."

"Okay, okay, even if I didn't object to it, do you think Sensei would agree to this?"

"I don't know, I have to convince him somehow. I think I may be able to, I'm not sure."

"Ohh really? You seem a bit confident, what exactly happened to you?"

"Well, I don't know about it myself, haha.

But I think I know how to talk to Sensei about this."

"Okay, if this is really that important to you, I won't stand in your way.

I'll wait for you here, even if it takes longer than you told me.

I'm sure Kaori will as well."

"Hahaha, I don't think she will, while she does seem to be caring on the inside, I don't know if she doesn't hate me enough to wait for me as much as you do."

"Wha-..." Kenichii makes a puzzled face, but continues to speak.

"Well anyways, finish your food first, then we can think about what you should do next."

"Yeah right.
Mmm, this tempura really is the best, nothing can match Furuta-san's cooking."

"True, true, she set this aside just for you, you know."

"Ahh.. She's nice as ever, except for when we try to take extra tempura from the plate, haha."

Both of them chat as Takeshi finishes his dinner. After that, Hisako and Kaori come to visit him again, and they chat.

Soon after, Murakami and Sugihara come to check on Takeshi and inquire about his wellbeing. They advise him not to exert himself, and he leaves.

Neither Takeshi nor Kenichii told anyone else of Takeshi's plan to leave the academy temporarily to train in seclusion.

*****

A few days later...

Takeshi stands in front of the Main Hall, inside which was Kanroji's office.
Takeshi waits outside, as he can hear people talking inside the hall.

Takeshi, all healed up, is ready to leave now for training. He just needs to tell Sensei, get his approval, and he can leave without any issues.

"Yes, yes, I'll come to the palace, Aoyama-san, you don't need to nag me."
Kanroji pushes the man's back and moves him towards the door.

"Nag you? How insolent, you may be older in age, but I'm still a Hatamoto."
Aoyama turns back and stops Kanroji from pushing him.

"Fine, fine, please just leave me alone, at least until the tournament is over.
As a favour to a friend." Kanroji joins his hands in a praying position and tells him.

Aoyama, disgruntled, breaks apart his hands.
"Tetsuro, I've told you many times not to mix between personal and official relations. Humph

This is an official bi-yearly summons for the Sanko Kaigi, and the "Four Blades of the Shogunate" are required to attend.

And you sent Masako and Sugihara when this happened in the previous years.

At least Masako has the decency to be civil in front of the Shogun and the Sword Emperors.

Sugihara's behavior was very brash and made me want to run out of the palace before hearing anything more and them putting me in prison for bringing him there."

"And I'm very sorry about that. I did send a letter of apology to the Shogun, didn't I?"

"Hmm, well, the Shogun forgave him just because he's your disciple.

Anyone else and one of the Sword Emperor's sword would have seen some blood right there and then."

"Ugh, I guess I'll come this year, there is nothing going on anyway. Travel all the way to Kyoto just to see a couple of old men chatter on about how much profit they have gained through trade, how their sword skills are still evolving, and all that."

"I can't believe you are one of the strongest and most devoted to this empire."

"And I can't believe you all don't fall asleep five minutes into their conversation.
Well anyways."

Kanroji opens the door and sees Takeshi and waves at him. Aoyama looks at him and walks down the stairs from the main hall door to the assembly door.

"Well, that is it, I'll come, so no more notices or messengers. I have to tend to my students now."

"Nice save, genius." Aoyama says as he walks away to the main door.
"Hehe, thanks, Shōsai."
"MY COMPLIMENT WAS NOT SINCERE TETSURO."
"I KNOW!!! 
BUT MY THANKS WAS!!"

"Hahh, Shōsai, that brat."

"Well anyways, what brings you here, Takeshi?
Is there something you wish to tell me?"

"Well, Sensei...
Given my current abilities, I wish to train myself before I appear for the trial.
I'm aware of how weak I truly am and that I need to improve myself.

And in order to accomplish that, I wish to leave the academy temporarily to train in seclusion."

Takeshi took a deep breath after he said this, as he wasn't sure how Sensei would react to it.

A bit far from the both of them, behind a pillar, three heads popped up, one above the other, at an angle in which bodies couldn't be seen. Kenichii, Kaori, and Hisako were listening to their conversation.

"Hmm...
How long do you think you will be away?"

"I'm not sure, Sensei. I will come back when I have enough confidence in my training."

"What if you don't gain enough confidence? What will you do then?"

"Well umm..."

"Not to mention, if you go into seclusion, you will have to fend for yourself. What will you do if an attack as strong as the one you had the other day happens again?

Do you have anything planned out for that scenario?"

Takeshi froze in his spot, he didn't have much to say in response. But he mustered his courage.

"I will figure something out, Sensei.

And if I get involved in an attack and I'm not strong enough to fight against it and die there, then I guess that's all my life ever amounted to."

"Hmm..." Kanroji kept his neutral face, he then adjusted his glasses and smiled at him.

"Very well, you may set out.
Remember to come back if anything happens, or let us know through some means should anything come up.

When are you planning to depart?"

"Today, Sensei."

"Hmm, then pack some extra bento boxes before you head out.

Well, if that is all, then off you go, do not dally on here."

"Yes Sensei!"

Takeshi runs back in the direction of the dormitory to pack his things, followed by the trio who were listening in on them.

Kanroji smiles as he senses all of them running back.

Be-beng...

Plink...

Be-beng...

To be continued.


Just a quick note.
Hatamoto: A court official, technically refers to the retainers of the Shogun

3