Prologue
54 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Grandpa..."

"Yeah??" 'Huff Huff' Tachibana replies as he pants and struggles for breath.

"Did you eat yet?
Or are you still swinging your sword?" Takeshi asked him, taking a munch of his onigiri, which was in his left hand, while he tended to his unkempt hair with his right.

He wore a greyish hakama and a haori, and he dusted off the food crumbs from his dress as he sat down by the fire, near the tent. He had a slender build, with jet black hair, and amber-coloured eyes. He resembled his grandfather a lot, with his straight, small nose.

Tachibana, on the other hand, was a man in his late 80's, with long grey hair, tied in a bun, and forming a ponytail. He wore a dark blue haori and a grey hakama, a sheath was attached to his obi. He too had amber eyes and prominent cheek bones, showing his age.

The tent was set up in a place that seemed like a spot where travellers usually camp the night out. He looked up at the night sky, which was adorned with the celestial jewels, which entertained the rich and the poor alike.

"Oi brat, you aren't doing it, at least let me do your part as well." Tachibana yelled out as he swung his sword with ferocity while panting.

The sword he swung was pure silver in colour, as if it were forged from the essence of moonlight—a silverish glow with blue that faded at the end—that shimmered like a tranquil forest lake.

It was like a mirror that captured and reflected the ethereal silver pearls of moonlight, creating an opulent, breathtaking radiance that enveloped the night.

If you look closely, there are the word "カグヤ" engraved into it.

"Hey! I did my part, and I got exhausted. Also, simply swinging it doesn't do anything." Takeshi spoke as he ate the last of his onigiri.

"Hahaha, maybe it would seem like that to you, but there's a lot more to it than that." Tachibana replied as he laughed.

"Hahh, look at this old man, swinging his sword like a mad man.

You know, you are not even a real samurai. What would you do if you did something and you hurt your back or twisted your ankle?

We're camped in the middle of nowhere and are quite some ri away from the nearest village.

You know more than anyone, and despite my desperate attempts to make you stop teasing me, that I can't even carry two randoseru on me, let alone an old man like you, who still seems more fit on the outside than I am." Takeshi said in a disgruntled tone

"Hahhaha.
You really can't carry me even in a ten years worth of time." Tachibana chuckled as he said that, sweat could be seen dripping from his forehead and his dress.

"Hahh, alright, that's it.

Come back here, that's enough for the day."

"Look at this brat, ordering me around. Well, it's as they as nowadays... The elderly should listen to the younguns' that take care of them, hump, ridiculous."

"Yes, yes, please listen to the younguns'. And no, it's not ridiculous, it's because these so called younguns' look after the elderly. So they ought to listen to them."

"Hahh, fine..." Tachibana sits down near Takeshi, facing the fire, taking the onigiri from Takeshi.

He proceeded to eat it, and they both enjoyed a hearty dinner talk. They talk about various stuff from their travels, of shrines and forts and their experiences throughout their journey so far.

After some time...

"Alright, grandpa, I'm gonna go sleep, you should too. If I catch you swinging it again, I'm gonna take it and hide it away."

"Geez, this brat, hahaha." Tachibana grunts as he struggles to stand up after sitting down for some time.

He looked at the beautiful night sky and kept on watching it, as if he were enjoying the beauty of it.

"It is indeed a nice breeze, wouldn't you agree?"

"..." (inaudible response)

"It's always nice to be out at night, enjoying the night breeze.

I had some great memories with that."

"Me, Iwao, Tetsuro, and Haruki, all drinking sake, sitting in front of the fire.

But all good times come to an end, I guess.
And as time passed, everyone drifted away, and Iwao had to leave us behind too, that bastard (sobs)."

"..." (inaudible response)

Ahh... (sobs) Yes, you are right.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't think about it too much, like you said. It might worsen my health at this age, I guess."

"..." (inaudible response)

"Look at you, still worried for your wrinkled old owner, haha."

"..." (inaudible response)

"Fine, I guess I'll come visit you there."

Tachibana sits down on the tree stump, facing the breeze head on. He wiped his tears and smiled as he breathed in and out slowly.

After some time, he opens his eyes, to a sight that is very familiar to him: the beginning of his second life, his second home.

In front of him, was a beautiful, serene lake, crystal clear and as still as the stars that appear at night.

Surrounding it was a beautiful forest, brimming with wonderful, and extraordinary flora and fauna alike.

The natural scent of the forest, along with the cool breeze set the atmosphere.

By the lakeside, there was someone who was sitting, with their legs dipped in the lake. As their legs moved, it made slow, gentle ripples along the beautiful visage of the lake, tickling the moon that could be seen in the lake.

The moon shone brightly in here and for all of eternity. And everyone in this place thrived in it.

Tachibana smiled at the sight of this, as it was one of the most memorable places he has been. It was something that would never leave him until the Shinigami beckoned him with her love and charm, after a lifetime of happy and woeful memories and would embrace him as he walked towards heaven.

"I bet you missed seeing me, even though we see each other more often than we realize, haha."

"..."

"Well, it is fun teasing you, so...
Not to mention, I won't really have much time left to do this now, can I?"

"..."

"Well, who am I kidding? I'm in my late 80's, with my feet in the grave.

All I worry about is, the safety of my blood, my sweet boy, Takeshi.

I worry about him, sometimes I feel like he's far too naïve and pure for this world.

After I leave him to Kanroji, I will be heading out to find more info on that man.

I can rest easy knowing that he'll be safe as long as Kanroji is there, but what happens after that?

What will he do when he graduates from the academy? He'll be released out to a world full of wolves, and I don't want him to remain as a sheep!"

"..." (inaudible response)

"And, and he's totally ignorant about ki, it's been six years and I haven't ever been able to teach him Ki. I'm unsure if I should help him resolve it and then train him or let him learn it and then remove it.

The latter worked for me, but what if I screw up?

I don't want my grandson to end up as a cripple. It was also the reason why I never forced him to learn it either. I wanted him to choose the way of the samurai on his own, not because he didn't have another choice.

But fate wasn't kind to him either, in the end, he never got a good childhood either. His parents died, he hasn't met much people of his age, let alone any friends. He's stuck up with his old grandfather who can't even do anything for him.

(Sighs) I just hope he finds some friends in the academy, understand and realize how precious those moments are, and learn to cherish those moments.

But still, it would be a place alien to him, which is why I was hesitant to tell him about the academy. I wanted Kanroji to take him under him, as his disciple, but it would be too hasty of a move and I'm not sure about it.

What kind of grandfather would I be if I left him alone to train in an unknown place?"

"..." (inaudible response)

"I know, I know, he's a samurai, and I hard press my samurai values on him.
He should be able to to adapt to any situation that he's thrown into, and that starts at a young age, but, but...

He's not-..."

The "someone" put their index finger on Tachibana's lips and spoke to him.
"..." (inaudible response)

"Yeah, I understand. I'll calm down now. I'm just worried."

"..." (inaudible response)

"Yes, I know.

Promise me, **, that you will take care of him. I'll be leaving him in your care."

"..." (inaudible response)

"No, I'm an old man, nearing his age, with his muscles still in peak condition, haha, but yeah...
I don't need a powerful sword, but he will.

And while I say that he should train himself to be worthy of wielding it, I know that he'll accept it if I give it to him, and that's all that matters to me."

"..." (inaudible response)

"Thank you, ******. I always end up being indebted to you.
For changing my life back then, and now... my grandson's life.

I'll be counting on you, ******." Tachibana smiled radiantly as he spoke.

"..." (inaudible response)

"Yeah, I get it. I'll sleep and take some rest now, hahaha."

*****

Tachibana opens his eyes to the beautiful sight of the night sky and the moon.

He smiles and lets out a sigh while placing his hand on his chest.
He turns and looks at the tent in which Takeshi was sleeping.

"I hope you live your life well, my boy.

One that you are proud of.

As long as you do that and be true to yourself, I can rest easy."

Tachibana stands up from the tree stump, walks over to the adjoining tent, and lays down to sleep.

'By tomorrow evening, I guess, we'll reach Mt. Kyūkokuzan. I'll finally be returning there after... how many years was it? 23? 24 years, I think.

I can't wait to meet Tetsuro again and have a duel with him again, see if either of us has gone rusty again, and tell him to keep running, whatever happens, don't look back.

And I'm curious to meet that Sugihara and Masako he mentioned.'

Tachibana closed his eyes as he fell asleep.

For the final time.

Tomorrow is going to be an important and decisive day...
For a lot of people.
Something that will change the course of life for a lot of people.
For some, it will be like the closing of a chapter, while for some, it'll be the start of something new and unprecedented.

Be-beng...
Plink...

To be continued.

6