The Unseen Threads
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Crack Crack”

There was a small fire set on the ground, by the side of which were some skewer meats on sticks, arranged diagonally for cooking them.

Three men were sitting in front of the fire inside the cave. One of them occasionally cleaned off the ash that formed on the side near the food, and they replaced the cooked ones with raw ones.

Cooking and eating them without spice wasn’t the most ideal meal for them, but at the condition they were, they’d eat pretty much anything.

“munch munch

God, this tastes like shit.” Kiyomasa spoke while chewing on his food.

“Well, yeah? Deal with it; we have nothing else, and we already had a tug of war over the two onigiri. There ain’t anything else, and we can’t even go back to the village until morning.” Seijūrō replied, tearing the flesh from the stick.

“Ugh, fine. Is it just me, or do you guys feel a bit hot?” Kiyomasa suddenly stopped, looking at the other two, anticipating a response.

“That’s because it is hot. We just took it from the fire; what do you expect?” Seijūrō was confused by his question.

“Not that you idiot, I mean, like, after I swallow it, I feel hot in the stomach.” Kiyomasa slightly rubbed his belly, which was lightly bandaged to cover the wound he had received during the fight.

‘Is it just me, or did these two switch personalities? Kiyomasa is often the one who is calm and speaks rationally, while Seijūrō is a bit... well, hasty, reckless, and muscle-brained.

Ever since he woke up after getting hit, I’m seeing his personality take a bit of a detour.’ Takeshi thought to himself as he munched on his food while taking a close look at the two, who continued with their talk about the food.

The three of them were pretty much wrapped around with any and every bandage that was available in the cave.

Their swords were set to the side of the cave walls, and a futon was spread near the other side of the cave wall, on which the three of them were sitting.

“Yeah, I kinda feel it too. At first, I thought it was because we were sitting cramped up in this cave, in front of the fire.

But no, it’s not that.” Takeshi added.

“Well, I don’t know; I don’t feel anything. A bit nauseated, yeah, but that’s because of the current state and this… this abomination which we might consider food.

I knew that eating a beast’s meat was a bad idea. But yeah, we don’t really have a choice, so...

It is what it is.” Seijūrō spoke, slightly rubbing his head.

“Hey, Hey. You challenged me and made the bet, not me.” Kiyomasa retorted.

“Anyway, that was a nice move at the end, Seijūrō. You really kicked its ass like you said, and that was really cool, man.” Takeshi patted Seijūrō.

“Yeah, I didn’t expect your trump card to be this strong. I always thought you were a hypocrite for calling me weak when, in fact, you were the weak one.” Kiyomasa smirked.

Takeshi frowned at Kiyomasa and then gently poked at Kiyomasa’s torso.

“Ow, Ow, Ow. Okay, I get it. I’m sorry.

Yeah, you were really good out there today, man.” Kiyomasa spoke, really feeling the pain even from the slightest of touches.

"Yeah, yeah, can it, okay?. I didn’t do it for your thanks, Kiyomasa.

Actually, I’m not sure how I did it either.”

“Huh? What do you mean? Didn’t you train for that move?” Kiyomasa asks, surprised.

“Nope. This wasn’t anything from my training.
Well, maybe my increased ki and overall technique might have improved because of my training, but no, not this.”

“Then what was that move all about? You did yell out your clan’s name when you revealed your technique, so I assumed..." Takeshi asked curiously.

“Well, see, there’s this thing that’s passed down the clan’s members throughout generations. It’s called Dragon Will.” Seijūrō sat back, with his back facing the wall.

“Ohh? What’s that?” Takeshi asked.

“Yeah, I’ve heard of it, it’s a bloodline power, something that is exclusive to the Minamoto Clan.
There are several bloodline powers that exist in various clans in the shogunate. It’s something that differentiates various clans, and the strength of their power sets them apart.” Kiyomasa added.

“Exactly, and it’s not necessary that every clan member will awaken this power. Some will, some don’t. Some excel in it, and some will be subpar.

And based on how strong their power is, they’re treated differently even in their own clans. This applies to my clan too.” Seijūrō spoke, explaining to Takeshi.

“Ohh, so like every clan has this? Some sort of power?” Takeshi asked.

“No, not really. Some clans have no power. For example, my clan never had any power. Heck, I’m not even sure there are any members of my clan remaining. I was raised by a fisherman father, whom I’m given to believe is not even my real father, so that’s that.

And the point is, I don’t have any power; I haven’t noticed any either.” Kiyomasa stared at the fire as he spoke.

“Yeah, like he said, it is not like every clan has that power. I guess it has something to do with their ancestors.” Seijūrō responded.

“Okay, I got it.” Takeshi wondered if he was part of any clan and whether his grandfather knew something about it. He looked at his palms and forearms and found the other two staring at him.

“What?”

“Nothing, nothing.” The two spoke in unison.

“So, umm, what exactly is Dragon Will? Like, what does it do? Is it some sort of  technique?"Takeshi asked.

“Well, I’m not sure if it is exactly a technique. People don’t really talk about what it actually is. They just teach the children a myth of sorts, and that’s about it.”

“What’s the myth about?” Takeshi asks, with Kiyomasa joining him as they move closer to Seijūrō, brimming with curiosity.

“It’s like this...

Many, many years ago, when dragons and gods walked the earth, they were primarily at war with the demon race. And after continuous wars spanning centuries, the demons were sealed and the deities settled down.

And the Minamoto clan’s first ancestor was one of the Five Divine Dragons that controlled the realm. And after some time, the dragon met his demise.
But it is said that the dragon never died; it split itself into fragments and still lives on in the souls of the Minamoto clan members.

While this is indeed the myth, and many people have in fact awakened Dragon Will to verify this myth, there are several people, actually a majority, who haven't awakened it all or have a weaker control over it.

So, according to the myth, every descendent should have it, so there’s clearly something else that affects the awakening of Dragon Will.

But they just blatantly label those who haven’t awakened it as not chosen or unworthy of being a clan member and subject them to very harsh treatment, making them do odd jobs and menial work. They’re pretty much denied their freedom.” Seijūrō explained, breathing heavily.

“Man, that’s very harsh.

Wait, and no one questions them? Not even the Shogunate?” Takeshi asked him.

“Hahaha, I haven’t laughed like this in some time.
Ow ow… 

Even though it hurts me, I can’t help but laugh.
Takeshi, Do you really think the royalty care about stuff like this?

All they want is the Nine Noble Clan’s power, wealth, military strength, and overall influence over the people.

Commoners and ungifted people are but dirt in their eyes. Of course, they do things for their welfare, but it is very  limited."Kiyomasa chuckled as he spoke.

“Well damn. I really have been living under a rock, I guess.” Takeshi sighed.

“Well, continue your story, Seijūrō.”

“Uhh, yeah.
So, like the adults often check on their children if they have awakened it, and if they have, they’re trained well to hone it. They’re given opportunities to grow further by sending them to prestigious swordsmanship academies or as apprentices to famous generals or Sword Emperors.

The only exception to this is if you are from the main family. So, like in clans, there’s always a main family and a couple or many branch families.

You are born with a golden spoon if you are born in the main family, and if you are from a branch, depending on the status the branch family has within the clan, you are born with silver, copper, iron, or no spoon at all.”

“And the prodigal son here belongs to the main family, I assume? Based on your brags about being second in line to clan and all.” Kiyomasa smugly responded.

“Yeah… Well, not that it matters. The thing is, I didn’t awaken Dragon Will.
I was given to believe people who are in fact “chosen”, awaken it between the ages of 12 and 13, and I didn’t. So, I was obviously seen as the black sheep of the main family. But I was talented enough with the sword that I was given a pass.

And with my elder brother joining the Ivory Guard, the personal guard unit of the Shogun, equivalent to a high-tier general, he discarded his right to the throne, but of course, this hasn’t been made official.

And here I was trying to excel myself in the ways of the sword and join the Ancient Emperor Style Swordsmanship Academy to further perfect my skills.

I thought I’d never awaken it since I had passed the age, but I was told that I was wrong and that’s a stupid superstition made up by people just to make themselves feel superior. The dragon was really on about that a few hours ago, so...” Seijūrō continued.

“Excuse me, what?”

“A d-dragon?” The shock and surprise on Kiyomasa and Takeshi's face was indeed a sight to behold.

“Y-Yeah, I know, right? It’s crazy. I wouldn’t have believed it either if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. And then I did. I don’t quite understand what it exactly is, but he said I'd obtained a fragment of his power, and then suddenly, I was able to use that move.

It was as if the dragon imprinted this technique on my mind.

And then I did it, and the rest is well… yeah.”

“Well, that’s great. You’ve gotten stronger now, and you saved our asses.
Thanks again for that.” Takeshi spoke, patting his shoulders.

“You too were great today, Takeshi.”

“Huh, what? I didn’t even do anything.”

“What do you mean?”

“You know, the two of you had trump cards up your sleeve, and you used them effectively in the fight. Compared to that, I had nothing. I couldn’t even support you well.” Takeshi looked down.

“Are you crazy? You broke the beast’s guard. You rattled it and broke its form. We were shooting blanks until then. Every attack we launched at it was blocked by its defense. If you hadn’t used your footwork technique, we all might as well be screwed today.” Kiyomasa exclaimed.

“Yeah, exactly. Your weird posture had me doubting you at the start, but the way you moved, you seemed to be aware of everything on the field and were successfully able to break its defence and pin it into a corner.

Do you think we could’ve launched our trump cards without that?” Seijūrō continued, adding on to Kiyomasa’s remarks.

“Takeshi, you did more than just support us. You broke the beast. And not to mention, you fixed your issue with your legs with this, right?”

“Yeah, I mean, it’s not perfect, but it allows me to move way better than before. Also, I may have found myself adjusting to it a bit better during this fight, but that’s something for another day. I’m too tired to even blink right now.” Takeshi spoke as he softly pressed the muscles on his legs.

“Yeah, you are right; we better get to-” As soon as Kiyomasa said those words, he started to hear soft snoring sounds from his left. Seijūrō had fallen asleep right after Takeshi stopped speaking.

Kiyomasa looked at Takeshi, who chuckled while looking at Seijūrō and nodded his head.

Three of them went to sleep right after. They were too battered and bruised and totally worn out to talk any further after their fight.

*****

A couple of hours ago…

Bitchū Matsuyama Castle (備中松山城), Bitchū Province (備中国)

Two men were standing on the top floor of the Tenshukaku (Keep), overlooking the night sky.

A woman suddenly came in, carrying a lacquered tray with flasks of sake and other refreshment.
She brought them and waited to speak.

“My lord, I’ve brought some refreshments for the two of you.”

“Hahh, Oi Matsuda, Didn’t I tell you to only bring this when asked?
What are you doing, bringing it here unannounced?

Are you trying to steal confidential information from the two of us? Huhh?” The man spoke arrogantly, raising his eyebrows. If he had raised it any higher, it might just get out of shape permanently.

“Takasugi-dono…
I’ve been working for you for the past 5–6 years. I know when you are speaking about confidential issues and when Yoshimoto-dono is nagging you to do things properly.”

“Huhhh? What did you  say?" Takasugi’s usual anger face surfaced again.

“Hahaha”

“Oi, what the hell are you laughing for? Hmph.” Takasugi replied.

“It’s interesting, Takasugi-san. I envy the bond you and Matsuda-san share. She knows exactly how you are and even prepares for your actions in advance.” Yoshimoto replied, smiling at the two of them.

"It's really nothing, Yoshimoto-san. There is not much there to understand about him, so I know my way around him. His actions are very predictable." Matsuda replied as she poured sake into their cups.

“You damned woman, how dare you belittle me in front of him?" Takasugi suddenly finished his sake and blurted out.

“Hooo, are you planning to hit me, B-a-k-a-s-u-g-i?" Matsuda replied.

“Oi Hana… One more word, and you are  dead."Takasugi gritted his teeth.

“Bakasugiiiiiii”

“That’s it, you are dead!” Matsuda ran after keeping the tray on the side, laughing. Takasugi charged up to go after her but was held back by Yoshimoto, who grabbed on to his torso.

“Hahahaha, see… This is really precious. Such a good and heartwarming relationship between a Sword Emperor and his personal attendant. My attendant is nothing but cold and always on the watch to snitch on me.” Yoshimoto replied, expressing his sadness.

“You bastard, you call this heartwarming? That damn Hana... She’s always making fun of me.” Takasugi replied.

"Well, Takasugi-san, when you are in the position of the Sword Emperor, it’s better to have someone who stays with you and laughs with you than someone who might turn against you at any moment.

You’ll understand the importance of that some day.” Yoshimoto replied as he took a sip of the sake.

These two men, who are casually drinking sake and looking over the skies from the castle, were no ordinary men.

Hiko Takasugi, one of the Four Sword Emperors, in charge of the 4th domain of the Imperial Shogunate.

The man who climbed up to the title of Sword Emperor with nothing but his own willpower and strength. A samurai blessed with immense potential, as described by the former Sword Emperor who was defeated by his hands.

He had short white, straight hair, which poked out on the top at random spots. He wore a black kimono with white borders and a hakama underneath. A white obi, which held his sword.

He had green-colored eyes, a distinctive jawline, and a fair complexion. His body was balanced—not too muscular or skinny. Despite his beautiful, charming appearance, people were often scared of him because of his short fuse and arrogant nature. But according to Hana, he had the heart of a goldfish.

The man next to him was another one of the Four Sword Emperors…
Shiba Yoshimoto, another highly skilled samurai, who rose to fame due to his charisma and popularity among the common folk.

Like Takasugi, he too got his title from defeating a former Sword Emperor in the Imperial Sword Emperor Trial, which is held once every 3 years or whenever the Sword Emperors or the Imperial Shogun himself wills it.

Yoshimoto wore the traditional Shiba garments, with their distinctive intertwined dragons. He had medium-length, brown-colored hair. He had a fair complexion as well, with a distinctive jawline. He had a captivating look that captured the hearts of men and women alike.

The woman earlier, Matsuda Hana, was a personal attendant to Takasugi. Just like her, every Sword Emperor is assigned one to many attendants, depending on their whim. Usually, they are assigned at random by the Hatamoto.

Hana was a beautiful young woman in her early twenties. She had long black hair, which was tied with an ornamental pin. She had blue eyes and really full lips, which often made her the source of many visitors. But they were all chased by the short-fused man she attended to.

But in Takasugi’s case, he initially refused to take attendants but later chose Hana after discovering her in a village during one of his missions/visits.

“It really is a nice view, wouldn’t you agree?” Yoshimoto spoke, continuing to sip on his sake.

“Well, yeah, I guess. Peace is a fleeting, abstract notion after all. Something invented by people to calm down and settle themselves.

And yet, we yearn and strive to maintain that, often resulting in the opposite outcome.

Well, anyway, back to the topic we were talking about...

Why do I have to come there again? It’s just a meeting with a couple of scheming old coots who want to elevate their own status in the shogunate, maintain the status quo, and, if everything works out in their favour, capture some minor clan that is struggling to survive.

I don’t understand why you go either. I can understand Himamura-san going, since he’s the oldest and most experienced among us, and that elite showoff would be there to gain everyone’s favor, but why you?”

“Well, it’s definitely not by choice. Himamura-san always drags me there. Also, I’ve been asked by Aoyama-san to bring in my Sensei from the Academy.

He personally went there to bring him to this year’s meeting, but he said, and I quote: Kanroji-Sensei used the excuse of the trial to run away from his responsibilities. So, as his student, you are to drag his ass back to Kyoto.” Yoshitomo sighed as he replied.

“Kanroji-Sensei, huh? Yeah, he must be busy with that trial for students. Heh, well, if he comes to the meeting, I might come check it out too.” Takasugi chuckled.

“I know your motivation to come then would be to get him to fight you in a duel. Oh well, I’ve given up on keeping you away from rash and reckless challenges. I’ll leave that to Matsuda-san. Just remember, you got your ass beat by Himamura-san, and Kanroji-Sensei is someone who’s even stronger than him.

So just warning you as always, Taka-”

A sudden wave of energy flashed by at ultra-high speed. It was very weak, yet it possessed an unnerving aura. A really unsettling ki that triggered the senses of both Takasugi and Yoshitomo.

“What the hell was that?” Takasugi's expression totally changed. He was frowning as he remembered the feeling that was still lingering in his senses.

“Whatever that was, it can’t be good.” Yoshimoto looked in the direction of the energy wave.

“Hmm, it came from that side.” Yoshimoto pointed in the direction south of the castle.

“OI HANA, COME HERE!.” Takasugi yelled out.

“What is it now?” Matsuda came out to the open to see the two agitated.

“Huh? What happened?”

“Wait, you didn’t feel anything?” Yoshimoto asked her.

“Feel what?” Matsuda asked, puzzled.

The two of them looked at each other and were surprised.

“Well, whatever. I’ll head out there to check it out. Make the necessary preparations, Hana.” Takasugi rushed out, in the direction of the door.

“Wait, wait.” Yoshimoto thought to himself for a while before speaking.

“Huhh? What is it?” Takasugi turned around.

“Let me go there. I’ll check it out.” Yoshimoto spoke as he got closer to Takasugi.

“Huhh?

Are you crazy? This is my domain. I’m the one in charge here.

Why would you want to go down there?” Takasugi was puzzled.

“Well, two reasons. Judging by the direction, that’s also the direction where the academy is located.

So, if I go there, I can check out what it is and also go fetch Sensei. That’s like killing two birds with one stone, right?” Yoshimoto made a face as if he were explaining something complex, closing his eyes and waving his fingers.

. . .

Hana and Takasugi stood there, puzzled.

“Are you for real?” Takasugi broke the silence.

“What? I can do both of that, and it's more efficient.” Yoshimoto exclaimed.

“Yeah, okay, but what was all that waving and moving like that for? Dramatic effect?” Takasugi asked as they both started to walk out.

“I thought it was cool…” Yoshimoto spoke softly.

Hana nodded her head in disbelief.

“All these Sword Emperors are just idiots. They might be the strongest out there, but they’re dumber than an infant.” She left the top floor to make arrangements for Yoshimoto.

*****

“Well…” Yoshimoto was ready to leave now, having received some food packed and stored in a randoseru by Hana.

“Guess, I’ll be leaving.” Yoshimoto continued.

“Ahh, send me a letter after you’ve checked it out, okay?
Here, carry this pigeon with you, and let me know.” Takasugi continued.

“Alright then.” Yoshimoto waved goodbye, left the castle, and continued on to his destination.

“Bakasugi…” Hana spoke.

“Don’t you think we should’ve sent more troops as reinforcement? I’ve never seen you or him like this, so I figured it must’ve been something serious, right?”

“Well, the thing is… we don’t know what it is. It was very unnerving—not a very pleasant sensation. And none of you all at the castle sensed it. So, to be fair, I should’ve…

But I trust Yoshimoto, and I’m aware of how strong he is. There shouldn’t be an issue that can’t be resolved with him there, unless he gets outnumbered by a large group. Which I’m given to believe isn’t possible.

And it would be an insult to him if I sent reinforcements after knowing all that.” Takasugi spoke as he intently observed the moon.

"I guess you are right about that."

“By the way, I called you Bakasugi, and you answered me, you know.” Hana smirked as she spoke after he took a deep pause.

“Huuhh?? You damned woman, I’m gonna get you for this now.” With the nerves on his forehead becoming visible with anger, Takasugi snapped and ran after Hana, chasing her.

*****

In this world, there are two sets of people...

Ones who are allowed to be carefree...

and ones who are allowed to be anxious...

How are these people determined? Do they get to choose? Or is it forced on them?

Are they happy with what they've been given? Or do they fight against destiny to get what they want?

But one thing is certain:

Everything comes at a price.

Be-beng…

To be continued.

1