The Hero’s Return
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ancient Emperor Style Swordsmanship Academy, Ube

“Mmm? Hwe’s gwone?”
“Yep, he left last week.”

“(swallows) Well, I guess I missed him…

I never thought Sensei would take the initiative to come to the Sanko Kaigi.”

"Well, Aoyama-dono did give him a hard time. He kept on pestering him so…” Sugiwara replied.

“Well…” Yoshimoto took another bite from his onigiri and continued.

“He’s been missing it for the past couple of years and had a hard time when you attacked the noble clans out of nowhere. But he still upholds that position as a blade of the empire, despite his attempts to relinquish his title.

So, you can’t really blame him for pestering Sensei to make an appearance.”

“Hey, I just spoke the truth. Those self-centered, corrupt bastards are out there yapping about how they lack funds for this and that and that they can’t spare or provide resources and supplies for villages and clans that are out of their control.

They brazenly ask for capital for random crap, and they can’t do anything for the people they govern. And I’m sure there’s more to it than what appears before us in their pretentious silk garb.” Sugiwara blurted out

“Now, now. Keep it down, Sugiwara-kun. They say the mouth is the source of disaster. And you don’t want to paint yourself a target on the back now, would you?” Yoshimoto smirked as he raised his eyebrows.

“Hahh, well. You all wanted me to be silent. Here I am, being silent. If you all drag me to that farce of a meeting again, I won’t hold back again.” Sugiwara replied, sighing.

“Well, I do hope some changes will come about soon enough. Not like there’s anything solid that promises to change things around here for sure, but I dunno. All we can do is hope.” Yoshimoto munched down on the rest of his food.

“Well, aren’t you a Sword Emperor? If you can’t bring about that change, then what can? I’m not sure about that guy from the Fujiwara clan, but you and Takasugi-dono can do something, right?

And Daiichi Himamura… that man strikes me like the guy who would prefer to sit back and enjoy the chaos rather than do something about it.”

“Hahaha, you are wrong about that though. Himamura-san is more like a second parent to us all. He looks out for us and teaches us various things we don’t know.

Not to mention he watches our backs whenever we do stuff in secret and makes sure that nothing goes wrong or we don’t catch the attention of the shogun.

He's more like the voice of reason among the four Sword Emperors. He’s strong, humble, and very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to things related to the shogunate.

If anything, he urges and motivates us to make a change and bring about a revolution.” Yoshimoto had a smile on his face as he talked about him.

“But if that’s the case, then why doesn’t he do it himself? Why doesn’t he get on the frontlines and bring about the change he wishes?” Sugiwara replied.

“See, that’s the thing. Sugiwara-kun, you don’t know how the Sword Emperor system works. While you are given immense power over the shogunate, there’s also a mountain of responsibilities and liabilities.

All these rest on our shoulders, and it’s not something we can avoid. Moreover, we are the face of the empire. You can say that the Shogun is the true face of the empire, but in reality, our actions will impact the empire more than any other person’s.

He knows well that, despite our intentions, we can’t do anything revolutionary. Yet he hints at going forward, letting us know that he’s got our backs.

While that may be the case, there’s still a limit to what he can do alone, hence why we don’t want to burden him more than we already do by taking reckless and irresponsible actions without considering its consequences.” Yoshimoto explained.

“Hahh, but you know-” Sugiwara was cut short by Yoshimoto.

“Yes, yes, I know; that doesn’t make us any different from the nine noble clan leaders who give away empty words and fake promises without doing any actual work. But the power they hold over the shogunate is far greater than we can fathom.

We may preside over them and have some control over them, but they beat us out when it comes to their influence and manpower.

I can only hope for a power outside of these things, not shackled by the chains of society here to bring about a change.” Yoshimoto sighed.

“Well, unless an invasion or war breaks out, there’s no chance of that happening.” Sugiwara looked away, turning to watch the students who were practicing in the hall.

“Hahaha… Look at that. We went from revolutionizing and changing our society and our country for the better to wishing for an invasion to unite and strengthen it.

It really is a testament to how bad the conditions that exist in the shogunate are for  people, not gonna lie. Yoshimoto laughed and placed his palms on the table as he finished his meal.

“Well, that’s that, I guess.

You’ll be leaving after this, yeah?”

“Yes, I need to make it back to Kyoto for the Sanko Kaigi afterall.”

“Ahh true…
Will you be back for the next trial though?

This one just might be out of the ordinary.” Sugiwara smirked.

“Heh, the “Star Generation” eh?
Let’s see, I’ll try to clear up work and make it in time. I don’t think it’ll be possible, but I’ll try.” Yoshimoto grunted.

“Ahh, you’ll be busy with your work after the meeting, right, I forgot about that.”

“Well yeah. But I’ll try to make it.

Also, I wanted to ask you something.”

“Was there anyone here by the name of Takeshi?

On my way here, I encountered this guy, who had this footwork similar to mine, or like the Shiba clan in general. It’s not like it’s very similar; it looks like someone took inspiration from it and made his own based on it.

I initially mistook him for someone from the branch family. He then showed me the things he knew, and I understood that he had clearly never seen or met anyone from the Shiba clan.

But he had an interesting technique, and the thing is, he claimed to be a samurai training for the trial here, but I didn’t believe him until he showed me the First Draw-style, which made me realise that he really had some connection here, in addition to the fact that he was training for the trial here.

So I thought I'd ask about him after I come here.”

“Takeshi huh? So, you’ve met him, eh?”

“Ohh, so you do know him. Tell me about him.” Yoshimoto asked before he proceeded to drink his tea.

“Well yeah, he was here alright. He failed the trial in his first match, got badly injured and then went into seclusion to train himself.

But the thing is, while he was here, he was trained by a first-year student of our academy, and to be fair, he was good at doing physical exercises but really sucked when he was training footwork techniques and sword techniques.

Not like he was bad at sword techniques; he understood what he was taught, but he could never execute it well. Hence, he lost. Not to mention, it was a bit of a mismatch considering the experience of his opponent.” Sugiwara explained in detail about how Takeshi was during his days in the academy.

“Well, I’ll be damned. Then he figured out how to do it and learned it after this? Wait, the last trial should’ve been about 3 months ago, so he figured out the way in that much time?” Yoshimoto’s surprised look was definitely one to behold.

Sugiwara smirked after he saw Yoshimoto’s expression and gave out a smug look.

"Well, only if it ended there…

This ain't the surprising thing about him, Yoshimoto-dono.

His actual name is Tachibana Takeshi…” Sugiwara paused after he said that, waiting for the name to sink in.

“Tachibana… You don’t mean?”

“Yep, the one and the same.

Takeshi is his grandson.” Sugiwara replied.

Yoshimoto was shocked and at a loss for some time.

“You are kidding, right?”

“Nope.”

"But I thought the man never had any kids. I didn’t even know he was married!” Yoshimoto exclaimed.

“Well, It’d make sense for us to be in the dark about this. He is said to have completely vanished and made all traces of himself disappear from the very map.

But yeah, long prior to that, he was married, had a son, and even had a grandson. Even I came to know about it only after the kid showed up on the Academy’s doorstep one night.”

“Ohh, he came out of the blue eh?
Wait, where’s Tachibana-san then?” Yoshimoto asked.

“Ahh, it’s just as I thought. This information wasn’t allowed to reach a lot of people because of the image Tachibana-san held, and there was a chance people might use this opportunity to try something.

But I thought it would’ve reached Kyoto since some important figures as well as clan leaders were present during the last trial.” Sugiwara replied.

“Don’t keep me hanging, man, tell me what it is…”

“Tachibana-san died.

Takeshi came here, bringing his body with him. They were on their way here when they were attacked by a bandit group. But I seriously doubt a mere bandit group was able to take him out.”

Yoshimoto didn’t reply. He was stunned by the news that one of the strongest people in the empire had died, just like that. His expression gave away his disbelief.

“Yeah, I know, hard to imagine, right? Even though I’ve never met or seen him, I’ve been hearing that name since I was a kid. It was a name that was praised akin to a god.

And to hear he died fighting off bandits, I found it hard to believe.

But Kanroji-Sensei’s reaction and attitude towards this afterwards were enough to tell me that there was something bigger going on behind the scenes.” Sugiwara drank from his cup after he spoke.

“I see…

I never would’ve thought something like this could ever happen.

And Kanroji-Sensei took him in after that?” Yoshimoto asked while he continued to ponder about something.

“Yeah. The boy said he wanted to learn the sword style by enrolling here through the trial. And that led to all this.”

“So that explains the disability to move his legs…”

“What do you mean?” Sugiwara asked.

“I remember Kanroji-Sensei telling me about Tachibana-san, about how he had a disability that would’ve made almost anyone give up on taking up the path of the sword. And how he beat all odds and challenged fate to earn what was rightfully his.

I guess it’s in the blood.” Yoshimoto smiled as he thought about the young, determined boy in the forest.

“Yeah, he definitely didn’t have the eyes of one who was about to give up, even after he lost the way he did.

And now you are saying he’s developed a new technique of his own?

Hahaha. That’ll be interesting to see.” Sugiwara replied.

“Yeah, he developed a footwork technique to work with his leg’s mobility issues.

The technique makes full use of the disability and helps in further enhancing his attack power.

It is better to actually see it with your own eyes than to be explained by me.” Yoshimoto proclaimed.

“Well, he said he’ll make it back for the next trial, so…
Only couple of months left for that.”

“Heh, now I’m more inclined to try and come back here.

But you know, it’s funny.”

“What is?” Sugiwara asked.

“His technique—he isn’t aware of what he can actually do with that technique.” Yoshimoto replied.

“What he can actually do? What do you mean by that?” Sugiwara asked, filled with curiosity.

“Well, I won’t say everything about it, as I too only see this as a possibility. Whether or not he will figure it out and make use of it is entirely up to him.” Yoshimoto closed his eyes and sipped on his tea.

“What exactly are you getting at? Why are you keeping this as a suspense!”

Adaptability.

That’s all I will say. Figure out the rest for yourself, hahaha.” Yoshimoto laughed as he saw the clueless expression Sugiwara made.

“Hahh, you’re still the same as ever, Senpai.” Sugiwara sighed.

“Hehh, It’s been sometime since I’ve heard you call me that.” Yoshimoto chuckled.

“Well…”

“Yeah, we were like that after all, going at it against each other and all so…

I was always worried about you getting into trouble because of things you said out loud. I’m glad Sensei was able to put a pin in it.”

“People always say they want the truth to come to light and all that idealistic crap, but when the truth is put out, right in front of them, they lash out, cry, and run away from it.

I’ve become used to the double standards people have, so.”

“Hahaha, I get it.

But yeah, be mindful; that is all.

I’ll be taking my leave then.” Yoshimoto stood up and picked up his things.

“Well then, I’ll see you off.”

Yoshimoto walked away from the hall, towards the main gate of the Academy. The students training there all bow as the Sword Emperor walks away.

Yoshimoto takes a glance at the students and notices a red jade bracelet on one of them. Curious, he looked up to see a girl, who was also bowing her head.

“Hmm…”

Yoshimoto leaves the academy and exchanges some parting words with Sugiwara, who had accompanied him.

Sugiwara stood outside the gate, looking at Yoshimoto, who had slowly disappeared into the forest.

‘The spoon-fed, highly anticipated buds of immense potential…

Will they be worth the wait and the praise heaped upon them, or will they be a bust? 

When the blend of hard work and latent potential forged through harsh fires of hardship comes forth,
what will become of them?

Who will stand at the top? Who will move on to face the harsher hurdles that the future holds?

Only time will tell.’

Yoshimoto smiled as he calmed himself. He always thought that the future will be dull and boring, especially in the place where he is stuck at.

The uncertainty that Takasugi brought with himself was a refreshing change of pace, but society in itself was stuck in the past and didn’t seem to have any intention to look towards the future.

It was always the same thing. Clans rear heirs, train them, and send some of them out to obtain political positions within the empire while keeping the remaining to maintain their status within their own territory.

Constant clashes between other clans and fights amongst themselves were the only things that were happening. The Star generation might have people unaffiliated with clans, but sooner or later they’ll pick a side.

But now, a variable is entering the field dominated by the clans. His actions just might turn around this society, whether it’s for the better or worse, that is something only time will be able to tell.

‘Sugiwara did mention that the boy wanted to become a Sword Emperor.

So even if he doesn’t get involved in other things that pertain to the shogunate, this will ultimately be a change.

Hahh, I’m overthinking about this again, aren’t I?

I’ll leave the rest to you,

Takeshi.’


******


Three months later…
About three days before the trial begins…

"Well, that’s about it, yeah?”

“Yeah, you are all good to go, Takeshi-kun.” Aiko replied.

“You guys are leaving today too, right?
The trial starts in two days, and this is the last day to submit your entry.” Takeshi asked the other two ronin, who were standing next to him.

“Nah, I think I’ll pass.” Seijūrō replied.

“Ehh? Why? I thought you wanted to join the academy.” Takeshi was surprised by the sudden change in Seijūro.

“Yeah, me too, Takeshi. I don’t think I’ll be going there.” Kiyomasa added.

“Huhh? What is up with you guys?”

“You two don’t want to go there? Why? I thought that was what you were training for.” Aiko asked them.

“Yeah, it was. But over these 6 months… Over our time here training and everything that led to today, I think it might be a bad idea for me to go down a path set by others.” Kiyomasa explained.

“Yeah, same for me. I realized there’s more I have to understand about myself and my skills. If I were to follow the same path everyone took, then I wouldn’t be able to catch up to you.” Seijūrō continued, adding to what Kiyomasa said.

“W-Wait. Me? You want to catch up to me? What in the world are you talking about?” Takeshi was confused when he heard Seijūrō say that.

“Heh, you are too much of a dumbass to realize that. Figure that out for yourself.” Seijūrō chuckled.

“Yeah, you will realize what that idiot is talking about soon enough, so just focus on your training, Takeshi.

We will meet again once we are all on the same level as each other.”

Kiyomasa held out his hand, upon which Seijūrō and Takeshi put their hands.

“Yep, for sure.”

“Good luck, you two!”

The three of them took back their hands and went back to bid goodbye to the villagers who were waiting for them. Aiko did her best to hide her tears while Sachiko patted her on the back.

The three of them waved at each other as they parted ways. Kiyomasa and Seijūrō took the right to the forest entrance, and Takeshi went back to the bridge where all of this had begun.

He then took a pause to breathe and looked back at the village.

“Guess its really time to go.
It was fun, wasn’t it?

Thank you.

Thank you, Sachiko-san, Aiko-san, Seijūrō, Kiyomasa, and everyone else, for helping me and being there for me. I’ll never forget the time I spent here.”

Takeshi bowed his head in respect and then crossed the bridge.

He walked for a few hours through the forest and finally reached his destination.

The Ancient Emperor-Style Swordsmanship Academy.

“Ahh, I’m finally back.”

Takeshi slowly walks back in, approaching the academy gate.

And he disappeared into the academy.


Be-beng…


To be continued…

1