Chapter 3: The Mentors
305 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Looks like Sister Edna's children have arrived," a young woman said. 

"Cool, we can get our teachings out of the way," replied the young man aside from her.

"Halio, if you keep up that attitude I'm gonna be leaving you behind." 

"Heyyy we are friends. You don't gotta be like that."

These two were volunteer teachers: Halio Garyson and Karen Miller. 

They are official soldiers-in-training who have volunteered to impart their knowledge, regardless of what it is, unto the children of the Orphanage. Usually, they spend the majority of their time teaching students general self-defence knowledge and basic outdoor survival or vanquish techniques. After a year of service, they will be promoted to become official Vanquishers. Once Vanquishers, they will fight in the frontlines around the borders of The Land of Demons. 

"Sister Edna's children, today will be a rough day. I hope you all are ready to go as it's going to be difficult," Karen shouted to the group.

"Group battles?" a student asked.

"Correct kid, but it ain"t gonna be you kids messing around with each other." Halio laughed before putting on a serious expression.

"You will be facing us."

"Oh?" Dalis let out a voice of surprise.

"Facing teacher Halio and teacher Karen?"

"Ah . . . we are screwed."

"You guys are joking right?"

The children let out cries and shouts of misbeliefs. Although some seemed eager to take on the challenge, the vast majority of them were anxious.

"Settle down everyone. I know that you're all used to training against those mechanisms, peers and likewise. However, this would be a great opportunity to display and apply the skills you have been taught in this orphanage. Many of you are still taking it easy, and are truly underestimating what it truly means to become a part of the Vanquishers. We are not even Vanquishers yet, and you all have your tails between your legs."

"The chick is right on, grow some balls and man up," Halio proudly said. 

*BAM*

"Uggghhh . . . "   

A groaning sound can be heard.

"Damn gurl, it's gonna take a lot more than that to make me budge. I didn't even feel a sweat."

Yet, a groaning sound was clearly heard.

"Hey. If you wanna act tough, you can continue all you want. Stilla could I have you do a special job for me?" Karen said with a very sweet voice.

"Hm? Okayy, I happen to be good at this."

Her words sent a cold breeze to sweep over the class; everyone became a little tense.

Melvin, in particular, seemed to have turned his face away from the scene as if he recalled some particular memories. Even Dalis was surprised that he himself, slightly shuddered after those words were spoken by Stilla.

"A’ight, a’ght, I give I give," Halio said in a panic as he waved his hands back and forth. 

"Alright enough games, it's time to get to business. I want all of you to get your usual weapons and head to the Training Grounds in ten minutes. Got that? Oh yeah, also. You may bring some light armour if you would like," Karen declared.

Everyone soon scattered to obtain their equipment and made preparations to head towards the Training Grounds within ten minutes.

"Okay you all, I want you guys to split into groups of three. It can be your usual three. Rather, it should be your usual three for this training."

"Let's do it together guys," Stilla with a stern voice said as she went in between Dalis and Melvin putting one arm out at the front, facing downwards. Noticing that the two were not doing the usual procedure, she grabbed Dalis's arm with her spare arm and placed his hand on top of hers. Then she repeated the same action to Melvin.

"You guys, don't need to be so stubborn . . . it's not embarrassing, you know!" Stilla indignantly said. 

"That isn't the issue. The issue is having my hand touched by that piece of trash," Dalis blatantly said with disgust.

"Ohhh? To think I would have something in common with an insect? That's news to me," expressed Melvin with a haughty smile. 

"Why don't you guys ever start it yourselves?! Then I can be in the middle, so there won't be any fights that breakout! Jeez, always having to make this big sister force you two," Stilla cried her discontent.

The two did not reply. Dalis couldn't imagine himself initiating such a task and Melvin was, in truth, too embarrassed to initiate an act that was unbefitting for his status. Even though he would always “reluctantly” join in.

After a few seconds, Stilla removed her arm which was followed by Dalis and then Melvin.

"It appears you have all formed your groups. Good. We will have a ten-minute group rotation battle. As there are fifteen of you, Halio and I will be each taking on a group. Once you have finished facing one of us, you can either take a small break and then head back to the Training Facility. Or, you may watch your peers spar and try to learn something from them. The rest of you waiting . . . just watch carefully." 

"The victory condition for ya guys and girls is simple. Y’all just need to make me move at least a half a step. While for the lass, make her move at least two steps."

Karen affirmed the conditions with a nod. 

"Wait . . . wouldn't it mean that whichever group gets Halio, they would have an easier time?" a student asked.

"No. I will be using a basic vanquisher lessor artefact weapon. While Halio will be using his own weapon. Besides I'd hate to admit it but . . . Halio is probably stronger than me; therefore, these conditions are fair."

"WHAT!!" 

Edna's students cried in disbelief.

"Even with these conditions . . . Halio would probably be tougher . . . " a voice said.

"You think so? How hard could half a step be, especially if he's being attacked by three at the same time," someone retorted.

"Alright enough chatter, Edna's children. We will begin in a moment's time."

Karen and Halio separated from the group of children, and each moved a little far from the group. They made sure to allocate enough space for the upcoming fights. 

"Koji Itou, Steffanie Stratis, and Allen you will be facing me," Karen announced.

"Sienna Galatas, Elliot Gonce, and Jessica ya better be ready," Halio yawned.

"Aiii . . . we're up first!" Allen said in a pained manner.

"Don't worry I'm sure our teachers will take us a bit more lightly since we are the first group up besides Jessica's," Steffanie said in a slightly confident tone.

"Let's not take things lightly," Koji said in a low but stern tone.

"Haha Halio that arse . . . Always picking the group with more women," Jessica irritably said, raising a fist. She was ready to beat someone up. 

"Let's not get too worked up," Elliot said as he tried to cool down the ticked off Jessica.

"Time to show him what we girls are made of," Sienna said a little pumped up.

"Ah . . . you are forgetting that I'm a guy . . . " Elliot cried in a disheartening manner. 

The groups walked towards their respective teachers. Then they each briefly had a group discussion to figure out a plan to defeat their powerful opponents. 

Although they were next in line to become soldiers-in-training, the children were up against their self-defence mentors. They have taught them how to brawl, survive, and use weapons.

However, that was not all.

In their eyes they were considered to be the top of the batch, already eligible to become Vanquishers. 

After all, not anyone could become a Vanquisher. It wasn't simply them being posted as guards to defend the Church of Vanquish. 

They were usually required to risk their lives in the frontlines against the demonic creatures, and, on some unique cases, travel across the Pedlar Continent tasked with special missions.  

"Ready Karen? We may be your students, but we won't go easy on you," Allen declared. 

"Cheeky brat, you took the words out of my mouth," Karen replied.

5