Chapter 10-11: (Combined) The Week before the Pre-Soldier Exam
272 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three weeks had passed. Spring had arrived. The trees and flora of the surrounding land had flourished with vividness. The crops of the village farms have sprouted many sprouts that seemed to be in a race to see who would mature faster. The pleasant breeze was accompanied by the laughter of village children, and the adults were anticipating the upcoming harvest, ready to work extra hard and celebrate harder.

It appeared to signify the start of a new beginning. 

The Academic Exams were finished last week. Dalis had achieved quite the exemplary mark which had caused Melvin to feel somewhat pressured despite having achieved the top mark of the class. Usually, Dalis would only bother to suffice for a score that was considered to be B grade. However, this time, Dalis had obtained an A. 

"A little closer than usual. However, behind me as always. Perhaps you should've tried a little harder." Melvin snickered. 

"I'm good. I don't want to make a particular someone too upset after I stomped them in both the Academic Exam and the Pre-Soldier Exam. What do you think, Melvin?" Dalis fired back with a mocking smile. 

"Ohhh Ohh . . . Ah . . . could those be the words of a child who dreams big and high only to fall under the naivety of reality? Such a pity such a pity. Oooh but don't misunderstand, it is good to dream big, just make sure to know your limits. Melvin shook his head side to side as he expressed those words.

"Hmm . . . It appears you have an idea of who I was referring to?" Dalis chided with a surprised look on his face.

*Giggle* *giggle* *giggle*

Stilla, who was in between the two of them, let out giggles of laughter.

"Could something be amusing to you Stilla?" Melvin asked.

"Hehe, the two of you seem a little closer than before that's all." 

"Myself? Close to that insect? In what way, shape, or form? May I ask for the specific details?" Melvin replied.

"You must be referring to the Academic Exam results," Dalis commented.

"Hmm . . . I wonder . . . " Stilla said curiously as she gave a knowing look towards Dalis.

Dalis averted his eyes and looked ahead.

"Oh, by the way, we are here." Dalis said.

The trio was tasked by Scholar Somal, a few hours ago, to deliver a particular weapon artefact to him after their training at the Training Facility. The artefact was supposedly one of the weapons to be used in the upcoming Pre-Soldier Exam. This had piqued the interest of the three children, so they had quickly taken the task for delivery. Perhaps they would be able to gain a head start if Scholar Somal "accidentally" leaked a little of the information. Stilla had felt somewhat guilty but was unable to contain the curiosity and agreed to take on the task when urged by Dalis and Melvin. Little did she know that Dalis would soon shamelessly ask questions which may or may not be advantageous to the upcoming Pre-Soldier Exam.

The place they were asked to meet was at Scholar Somal's office in the Caleyar Orphanage. Scholar Somal's office was a little special as it was specifically made for him. Scholar Somal, in actual fact, was a Vanquisher. Contrary to most Vanquishers, Scholar Somal department was to focus on the management of affairs. 

Scholar Somal as a Vanquisher was similar to a logistic. However, his main task is simply to teach the children of the Orphanage and oversee the soldiers-in-training. After all, there needed to be Vanquishers who would guide the soldiers-in-training, like Karen and Halio, to ensure they're accomplishing their duty correctly. However, this did not mean that Scholar Somal was exempted from his duties to aid in the frontlines. Every now and then, he would take a day off to join the front lines. 

*Knock* *knock* *knock*

"Scholar Somal, may we intrude into your office? We are here as requested, to deliver the artefact," Melvin stated towards the door.

After a brief moment . . . 

"Yes, yes, yes! Come in children, come in!" A voice resounded behind the door.

Melvin took the handle, twisted it, and opened the door. The trio entered the room. The room appeared to be similar to a regular office except a little larger but smaller than a living room. The room had one half of the room as a proper office. There was a working desk with a few chairs and neatly ordered documents and other accessories such as stationary. There was also a bookshelf containing an extensive collection of books with visible bookmarks sticking out the sides. 

However, the other half was much different. It seemed more like an unorganised goods store. The ground was, to some extent, littered with various enchanted items. Several long wall shelves held and rested the more pristine conditioned goods. There was also a large stone desk suggested to be where Scholar Somal inspected and played with his enchantments. The most striking feature about this part of the room was that each artefact appeared to occasionally glitter with a shine, especially the large stone desk. This signified that they were enchanted items.  

"Wooow, this room looks unique as I remember it, teacher!" Stilla awed.

"Indeed. It is quite fitting for Scholar Somal," Melvin commented with approval.

"The enchanted equipment . . . I'd like a closer look teacher," Dalis asked. 

"Haha, my students! Please, please look around more! Dalis let me show you my prized weapon." Scholar Somal expressed his joy.

Dalis proceeded to head towards Scholar Somal who had stood up from his work desk to his enchanting station. 

"Ahem, Dalis do not forget our given task," Melvin reprimanded.

However, Dalis ignored him and continued onwards or so it seemed . . . Just before he reached Scholar Somal, he turned back.

"Come. It's a rare opportunity." 

He quickly turned to Scholar Somal after he had said those words.

"Eh? . . . Might as well . . . Mmm . . . Indeed . . . " Melvin mumbled as if convincing himself. He appeared to be perplexed.

"Dalis . . . ?" Stilla was likewise perplexed, albeit not to the extent of Melvin.

The two followed hastily.

"Ah, students behold this is the staff I personally use to slay those evil fiends from approaching the borders of our home: The Scholar's Staff of Teachings!"

(That name . . . ) The three thought as they looked at each other with understanding.

"Teacher. What are the properties of your staff?" Dalis took the initiative to ask.

"Ah, Dalis allow me to explain thoroughly of the characteristics, and features of this staff that I, have personally forged!" proclaimed Scholar Somal.

"Ahaha, Teacher just give us a brief rundown," Stilla requested seeming fazed with a forced smile.

"Hm, alright then Stilla if that is what you wish." Scholar Somal felt somewhat disappointed, but that expression soon disappeared as he began his explanation. 

"As you students know, I have a reinforced mana seed. I have the ability to infuse my mana into separate objects enabling me to control and strengthen them at a distance. By dabbling with particular mana properties of my mana seed through the consumption of magical stones, plants and other sorts, I can imbue special effects onto the given object. For my staff, I had managed to not only amplify is strength, but I had even been able to append a passive effect. When I recognise people around me as allies. Those allies around me are given a positive buff that concentrates and clears the mind to a state of calm. How is that students, quite the treasure ain't it?" 

Melvin felt disappointed and started mumbling in an inaudible voice about Feeria spells. Stilla winced but continued to retain the smile on her face. She was pitying Scholar Somal.

Dalis, however, appeared to be interested.

"If I remember correctly, enchantments with mental effects are considered to be high-tier enchantments?" Dalis asked quizzically.

Hearing those words coming from Dalis's mouth Stilla was startled. While Melvin still felt derided. Stilla had forgotten entirely about this. Melvin . . . well, it doesn't matter.

"Hehehe, that is correct. A mental enchantment is considered to be a high-tier enchantment. It is in the highest tier possible of enchantments which are followed after basic and mid-tiers enchantments respectively. Unfortunately, adding another effect onto this staff would be very difficult and would likely constitute to malfunctions. However, if I were to acquire aid from a Feeria mage . . . then my staff would become an even greater treasure! Hahahahah." 

After the last sentence was said by Scholar Somal, Melvin's attitude was briskly replaced with pride and satisfaction. When Dalis looked at Melvin, he saw a face that seemed to spell the words, "naturally". Dalis expression became insipid.

"Mmm on another note teacher, you don't have artefacts here at all?" Stilla asked in a sceptical manner.

"That is right Stilla. I have no interest in things that I won't be able to fiddle my enchantments with. In the past, I had tried to enchant an artefact to prove that such a thing was possible. However, no matter what, I was unable to even establish a mana connection with the artefact. It is indeed impossible," Scholar Somal griefed as he let out a heavy sigh.

 

***

 

"Scholar Somal, this is the weapon artefact that you have requested for." 

Melvin gracefully handed the packaged weapon artefact over to the arms of Scholar Somal. 

"Ah thank you Melvin, this artefact may be the key to the future of enchanting. Hahahahaha!"

"What do you mean by that?" Stilla asked.

However, Scholar Somal was deaf to his surroundings as he hastily removed the packaging of the weapon artefact. 

"Ah, so this is the special model? Yes, yes, yes! I can feel the traces of imbued mana flowing very peculiarly. Much like a genuine artefact!" Scholar Somal exclaimed as he carefully caressed and inspected the artefact.

"Teacher what exactly do you mean by special model and a genuine artefact?" Dalis asked a little intrigued. 

"Hm? Oh Dalis! Yes, yes, yes! This research had been in the works for several years already and finally, it is at its finished result! Behold the . . . "

"The?" The three simultaneously spoke.

"The . . . Well . . . . Eh? . . . Did this have a name in the first place?"

The three children's bodies fizzled out.

"So exactly what is it? Teacher! Jeez don't leave us hanging with something like that . . . " 

Stilla whined.

"Ah . . . Well, I actually am unable to say. After all, this is to be used in the upcoming Pre-Soldier Exam. Disclosing the details is prohibited," Scholar Somal stated firmly with guilt. 

"How unfortunate. Though, It is to no matter. I will look forward to it on the day of the event," Melvin said, seemingly unconcerned. 

"Yeah, It would be bad if we had known about this before the event. Teacher has already kindly said enough," Stilla remarked.

On the other hand, Dalis was unwilling to let things end off like this. 

"Teacher, could you at least tell us what exactly you mean by this weapon artefact being "much like a genuine artefact"? Is teacher implying that this artefact is special and can't be simply called an artefact, or perhaps it's not an artefact at all?" Dalis asked as curiously and innocently as possible to mask off his cheeky intentions.  

Scholar Somal was silent and remained restless. He appeared to be struggling internally to whether he should spill the beans or not with regards to Dalis's question.

Dalis at the time continued to express with his body mannerisms his great inquisitive desire to know. As he seemed to inadvertently, or rather intentionally, stare fixedly at Scholar Somal.

"Dalis you impudent fool! Exhibit some integrity to Scholar Somal! To think you'd be unable to show your restraint. Such an insolent child!" Melvin lashed out to Dalis.

Having this shout reverberate in their ears, Scholar Somal was snapped out of his dilemma. He appeared to give the impression that he had made his decision.

"Now, now Melvin. There is no need to go that far. Your fellow friend is simply very curious." 

Melvin appeared repulsed having heard that an insect was considered his "fellow friend".

"Dalis, with regards to your question I shall merely state that one of your conjectures is correct." 

"Understood. Thank you, teacher, we will be dismissing ourselves now."  

Dalis gave a light bow, dragged Stilla and the bickering Melvin out of the room.

The three then walked towards the hallway.

"Dalis I didn't even say goodbye to teacher, you don't need to rush!" Stilla cried.

"Sorry Stilla, I just wanted to say what I had figured out," Dalis said as he gave a satisfied smile with a gleam in his eyes.

Melvin appeared displeased and looked away. Melvin had also deduced what Dalis had gathered through Dalis's impertinent interrogation. 

"Ah? You really did?" Stilla gasped. She wasn't unaware of Dalis's actions as she had known him for a long time. This was one of Dalis's "acting performances". Though, he would only enact such antics if he had a hidden motive or was simply in a good mood. Stilla believed that for this case it wasn't the former or the latter, rather unexpectedly both.

"Yeah, you see, that artefact is as he had said. Not a "genuine artefact". It is most likely to be an enchanted weapon."

"Huh? But how can enchanted items be considered as artefacts? Teacher just said that it's impossible to enchant artefacts. So it can't be enchanted even if it was an artefact that was a little different then normal . . ." Stilla questioned quizzically.

"The naming is a throw off, but isn't necessarily wrong, it is likely due to the complications behind it. You see Stilla, do you not find it weird that teacher is interested in an artefact? He had told us in his own words that he had no interest in things that he wouldn't be able to enchant. Thus, we can logically rule out the possibility of the weapon being an artefact as he said.

"Hmm, you're probably right but what if it was an artefact that was a little different than normal? Wouldn't he try and enchant something like that even if it was impossible?

"Considering it is teacher, Scholar Somal, your probably right with regards to that. However, I still have my doubts. Let's recount and take a step back. We were tasked to deliver a weapon artefact that teacher specifically requested for."

"Yeah?" Stilla tilted her head.

"Now why do you think he asked for it be specifically delivered to him?"

"Eh? Well . . . " Stilla pondered for a bit, putting an index finger onto her chin as she crossed her arms.

"Ah! Maybe it's because of the Pre-Soldier Exam. Teacher probably wanted to inspect the weapon artefact before the exam since he is likely to be one of the exam overseers."

"You're on the right track. However if that was so, then I doubt he would need to have it specifically delivered to him. Teacher and other people involved in the exam would have likely already gathered together to inspect these products. After all, the exam starts in a week. It would be quite disorganised of them, to be inspecting them now for such an occurrence. Furthermore, if it was an artefact then why would they have teacher to inspect it. Teacher's vocation and mana path are not the forte of artefacts."

"Mmm it's starting to make sense." Stilla expressed her understanding.

"Right? Teacher also said, 'so this is the special model". He didn't state it was a special artefact and instead "much like a genuine artefact". In addition, he felt the "traces of imbued mana". The way he meticulously examined it seemed to give off the impression that he was able to analyse it. If it was a blessed artefact, then we would've seen teacher grumble and such. So it's safe to assume that it was an enchanted weapon. While it's entirely just conjecture, when you add these small things, the picture becomes clearer, and an educated guess can be drawn. Now if we go back to when I questioned teacher with those two options, then the answer was probably the latter—perhaps not an artefact at all."

"Ahhh Dalis you're so right! As expected from my little brother. Hehe!"

Stilla started clapping as she began to dance, filled with happiness. 

Dalis felt a little embarrassed while Melvin snorted and opened his mouth.

"Hmph, well done. It seems you have grown up a little. However, isn't there more to this "educated guess"?"

"There's more?" Stilla asked.

As if that was the queue to mark his entrance, Melvin elegantly moved closer towards Stilla.

"That is indeed, true. Allow me to place the icing on the cake. The enchanted weapon, that is considered to be a 'special model" may in fact . . . "

"May in fact . . . ?" Stilla repeated.

"Be able to be used by blessed mana users." 

"Eh???!!" Stilla shouted loudly in surprise. 

People across the hall turned to their attention to the direction of the trio. 

"Ah sorry everyone! Nothing's wrong." Stilla quickly apologised.

The hallway soon returned to its usual state.

"So what do you mean by that Melvin?" Stilla asked determined to know. She had already created a ruckus, she wasn't willing for things to end here

Melvin smirked and began to explain

"In general, we know that blessed mana users can technically use enchanted weapons as they are buffed to the core. Still, they wouldn't be able to use any powerful abilities embedded in that artefact. Returning to the discussion, as that slightly intelligent thing said, calling the enchanted weapon an artefact may not be necessarily inaccurate. The enchanted weapon is a 'special model" and is also said recognised as an "artefact". One simply needs to contemplate the reason behind this. Thus, the most plausible answer to this is that the enchanted weapon can be utilised by blessed mana users. " 

 After taking those words in, Stilla face was abruptly frozen solid. Then, as if a ray of sunlight was bombarded upon her, Stilla's figure slowly melted. 

"Ahh . . . I feel so dumb when I'm with you two sometimes . . . " Stilla whimpered. 

Seeing this, Melvin's composure was unsettled and began to panic.

"Ah, Ah, Uhm. Big sister Stilla, that was just a deduction! There's no guarantee if what I deduced was right! P-perhaps I could be completely off from the answer . . . 

Dalis watched the scene with a lukewarm smile.

Sigh. 

If only these days could continue forever. 

 

6