Chapter 80: Suspense
34 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The lottery had begun. 

It was unlike the standard roulette that was used before. 

All eyes were drawn to above the elliptical Stage of Knights. 

Although it appeared to be a manifested projection like a ghostly spirit, the translucent entity exuded an immense, profound regal presence. In comparison to the regal bearing of the King, indisputably the entity was in a whole different league. 

The entity could only be described as a transcended figure. 

In the eyes of the Cresuilge Kingdom, this figure was god itself. 

He was the revered man that held the name of Cresuilge.

One of the few legendary figures of mankind’s entire history to have reached the final height of a “Hero”. 

Not only was he known as the Divine Knight of War, he was the one who merged the hegemonies that reigned the ancient past into what is now founded as the Cresuilge Kingdom today. 

Yes, this entity was—

—Cresuilge Stradfold Relza, the first and true King.

This would be the 93rd time he would appear in the Knights of Kingdom tournament.

The entire Stage of Knights was silent. Feeria’s themselves did not dare cause trouble. 

When the King bowed to his progenitor, the Stage of Knights echoed with a harmonised thud. The people of Cresuilge Kingdom dropped to one knee with their heads down in tandem. 

The rest did not follow suit, but they did bow their heads down in respect.

Following a pregnant silence, the people of the Cresuilge Kingdom rose back to their seating, just after the current King. 

The movements were so perfectly united that it was as though this practice was meticulously coordinated and choreographed. 

However, the truth was everyone simply knew. They knew when they were required to rise. 

It was Heaven-defying.

Cresuilge Relza, who had barely moved since his emergence, slowly approached the thirty warriors in line, hovering down. 

Once he reached a fair distance between them, a mystical ray of divine light rained down, spreading to each of the warriors.

When it radiated to Dalis, he felt somewhat uncomfortable. An indescribable sense of fear tingled the back of his spine. But he felt it was harmless, so he paid it no heed. If he had to describe the process, it felt as though he was being basked in sunlight, and it was a little hard on him because he had sensitive skin.

(Itchy!) The divine light rays had increased in intensity. 

He felt that everybody was peering to him, but the lingering gazes then gradually shifted. 

Enduring the urge to itch, Dalis noticed that some of the other warriors were also experiencing the same intensity as Dalis. But unlike Dalis, they did not show any signs of discomfort. 

(Such biased treatment?! Is it because I am not from the Cresuilge Kingdom?!) Dalis complained in his mind, continuing his poker face. 

When the last warrior was lit to the appropriate degree, the rays of light began to fade away.

Amidst the divine rays of light was Cresuilge Relza. Following the gradual fade of the light, he too receded.

“Our Great Founder has gestured to us with his grace. Ordering has been established. The first six initially shined to the brim will now duel against the respective Knights of Majesty.”

“Against the Knights of Majesties?!” 

“How thrilling!”

“This . . . is impossible . . .”

A few of the chosen warriors couldn’t help but gasp their thoughts into the world even within the King’s presence. The rest of the warriors had hardly flinched from the announcement. They were prepared or had expected this pronouncement. 

Meanwhile, the audience resumed back to their joyous celebration mood. However, the next set of words from the King completely overturned the level of noise generated thus so far. 

“Although each Knight of Majesty will be facing one of you six in turn, as soon as the duels end, and if they are not defeated, they will proceed to face the next assigned ordering. Continuously, until all thirty of you are defeated in battle. Once that is completed, the 93rd Knights of Kingdom Tournament will be finished.”

“HOLY!”

“That means that each of the Knights of Majesty will be facing five of the lasting participants! Today!” a merchant cried out. 

“Yeah! And there’s definitely going to be a time limit involved. The Stage of Knights has returned to the elliptical flooring. I conjecture that one battle will take up the entirety of space!” The noble sitting aside the merchant responded. 

Pandemonium spread like wildfire amongst the crowd.

“My King! I apologise for speaking out of line, but you are looking down on us.” One of the warriors stepped in.

“Are you questioning our Majesty’s declaration? Remember, this setting of organisation does not hold purely on our Majesty. The Distinguished Families as well as the Knights of Majesty themselves must have decided on this together.” A female knight strode to the warrior and reminded. 

The King paid no heed to the two and went on, shocking more people with the next set of revelations. 

“Each duel will have a ten minute time limit. If one of you valorous knights are able to stand ground until then, you have the opportunity to concede defeat and become a well-privileged knight, as well as have the choice to become a disciple of one of the Knights of Majesty. If you continue onwards and emerge victorious, you will be a winner! Conferred to be another Knights of Majesty! However if you end in defeat . . . then there will be no reward.” 

Now even the female warrior was baffled. 

“Surviving ten minutes to become a well-privileged knight? Pfft that’s easy.” Aaron spoke aloud and then mockfully stared down at the rest of the participants. His eyes particularly laid rest on the warrior who stepped in. “If you’re a true knight, you won’t let things end in that manner. Don’t you all agree?” But his words were directed to everyone. 

“That shouldn’t need to be said,” Olivia agreed wholeheartedly.

“For you two with your backgrounds, it does not come off as a surprise. The allure of becoming a well-privileged knight would naturally not entail much enticement. For someone like myself, I will be doing my best to survive. A knight named Callum Walker spoke. 

Aaron and Olivia did not reply to his words. They could tell from his tone that his words were not said as an insinuation. He was simply speaking the truth, and he appeared to have no shame for proclaiming his goal. But the fact they knew who he was likely played a part in the peacemaking. 

“Zip your mouths. Look who’s in front of you.” One of the warriors whispered, loud enough for the rest to hear. 

Fortunately, the King was magnanimous. He took a blind eye in their discussion and rudeness as it was dealt with quickly. 

. . .

. . .

The King’s speech went on for a while longer and he began to finish up.

“Valorous warriors. If there are any concerns, now it is the time to speak up.” 

“My King, I have one query.” 

“Speak up, Henry Raymond.” The King jutted up his chin.

“If I am not mistaken, the scheduled duels are skewered to hold an advantage for those who compete with the Knights of Majesty later. Even with the Knights of Majesties being eligible to receive a small treatment of wounds in between the rounds, I feel that it would not be sufficient from the accumulation of fatigue and injuries not of light,” he said in a concerned manner.

The King’s lips curled to form a smile. He did not need to say anything as words were soon voiced to illuminate his query. 

 

***

 

The time was nigh.

Dalis stood alone on the empty Stage of Knights, on the side distant from the King. 

He was the challenger; the first challenger.

The crowd was still bustling, but were evidently much quieter in suspense of the coming arrival of one of the Knights of Majesty.

Still as water, Dalis was silent. 

For a young boy early in his teens, his composure drastically contrasted from the average boy at his time of youth. From all directions, he had people staring down upon him, over 90,000 people mind you, and he was required to be the first to wield his weapon against one of the most powerful knights in the whole world. 

The majority of knights would be unable to maintain a cool-headed calmness. And this was pertinent to the other valorous warriors. Each of them had at least seen one of the strengths of the six knights in display. They knew that they were not existences that should be underestimated, including the youngest Knights of Majesty. 

Those who had survived the Great War were the most understanding of how terrifying the Knights of Majesty are. The spectating Callum Walker, who was next after Dalis, had his hands balled to a fist, tightened to white. Secretly hoping that the one who came across that entrance would be one of the existences he did not wish to face.

Dalis’s eyes remained concentrated and fixed on the entrance. 

All the bad-mouthing, the laughters, the cheers, the small talk, not a string of sound was reached into his ears. His ears, only to be perked for the judge and the unarrived foe. 

Who will his opponent be?

Will it be that man most renowned to have had barely come out alive after his whole battalion was killed in action in the eradication of a feared one-eyed centipede. After which he was surrounded, forced alone while bearing grievous wounds, to kill over three hundred voracious demonic beasts, rabid to feast off on the corpse of the monster?

Or perhaps it may be the newly founded hero greatly feared and known as the “Hawk”, who was second to the deceased Queen in the Cresuilge Kingdom in terms of turning the tides of war. Utilising her wits, she had not only aided significantly in the logistics, but she had boldly and daringly in spite of her youthful age and lack of experience, confronted and persuaded the five nation leading heads to implement her devised plan: a devised do or die plan. Pulling off a miracle with her cunningness and prowess which ascended her as a hero and allowed her to reign considerable command in later operations. 

Whichever of the six Knights of Majesty that walked outside of that entrance, he/she would be an absolute force to be reckoned with.

Dalis knew in his heart that he probably couldn’t even survive three minutes in a head on duel against these renowned figures: this was an overstatement.

Strangely though, this did not make him feel despondent. Outwardly, he appeared calm. But inwardly he was experiencing jittery. 

(Am I anxious? No . . . What is this creeping sense of feeling?)

It was as if this was something he had not been able to do for a very very long time.

. . .

?!

The ruminating Dalis, suddenly for the first time, had adjusted his line of sight. 

Yet . . .

Dalis did not turn his head.

Oh damn! I guess you will have to wait until the next chapter to see who his opponent is. Things didn't seem to go as planned. Hopefully I start releasing the rewritten version by the end of this month.

0