Chapter 1: A Daily Morning
619 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How much longer do you plan to continue sleeping . . . Daaaaaaliiissss?"

Dalis opened his eyes to a scene he had seen plenty of times since his life at the dormitory. A sixteen-year-old girl stood next to him. Staring down at him with a grumpy look. The girl's name was Stilla. She had brown, bobbed shoulder-length hair, with vivid green eyes. Her body was toned, defined with muscle where needed, and balanced. It was shaped through work and served as physical proof of her capabilities. Consequently, this accentuated her softer curvier parts. This meant that one “notable” part was unexpectedly . . . still developing, considering their already impressive size.

"Annoying . . . " Dalis mumbled careful not to invite a beating—this was not a girl Dalis would usually disobey if he had a choice. One look at her expression and Dalis knew what was coming. It wasn't that Dalis feared Stilla. It was more to do with regards to the punishments that she had in store. Furthermore and most importantly, he couldn't be bothered.  

"What are you mumbling about?" Stilla asked in a voice laced with annoyance. 

"Let's go," Dalis stated. 

Dalis stood up from the bed and slipped past Stilla who continued to view him with hawk eyes. He headed towards the usual hall where they ate their morning breakfast. 

"Always doing what he pleases! Wait for me!" Stilla grumbled, and then quickly followed Dalis from behind.

"Stop running in the hallway." Dalis lazily turned his head to see Stilla who had caught up with him.

"I wasn't running! I was jogging! You left me behind!" she angrily retorted. 

"Yeah yeah," he casually remarked. 

He slowed down his speed to match her pace. The two walked side by side, idly chatting until they reached the dining hall. 

The dining hall of the Caleyar Orphanage would make anyone feel surprised by its large interior. Although the Caleyar Orphanage was, indeed, an orphanage, the institution was quite excellent in quality. After all, it was an orphanage that not only takes in children who have lost their homes, but also a facility that educates children and trains them for real-life combat. 

In particular, the Dining hall was one of the few places of the Orphanage one would be able to encounter other children that you wouldn't be able to normally see. This was because each dozen or more children would be supervised by a Sister. Considering that there are over two thousand children, this would mean having at least a hundred sisters. To be able to hold that amount of people, only areas such as the Dining hall would be applicable. 

"Hurry, look everybody is waiting," Stilla shouted to Dalis as she dragged him with one arm towards their designated table. 

When they approached the table, they saw a few unpleasant faces coming from their roommates. Some of the children began to voice out on their arrival. 

"Ah look Dalis is getting dragged again by Stilla~" 

"Haha ha . . . she really pampers him, doesn't she?" 

"It's about time . . . I can finally eat . . . " 

" . . . That insect."

"Ahhh, sorry everybody for the wait," Stilla said apologetically.

"It's fine, it only happens from time to time. Besides, our group is barely religiously strict, in regards, to such practices," Sister Edna kindly said.

Dalis's group was one of the many combat-oriented orphan groups. In the future, they will be tested to become soldiers-in-training. From that point, they would be eligible to take the next step—become Vanquish Soldiers. Vanquish Soldiers are often referred to as “Vanquishers”. 

Thus, the Church was not as strict with regarding rites of the Church towards them, nor were they required to be devout to the Church. This is because there would be complications pertaining to people's backgrounds since they are not all solely from Church soil or picked up. Though the majority of children, or "Orphans" they could be referred to as, are genuine orphans that have been taken in. 

One instance is the issue with Mana seeds that each individual has. 

Mana seeds tend to dictate one's background, so those with a "blessed mana seed" are likely to originate from the Church. While those who don't, are likely to be residents of other nations. If so, they're boarding children who have applied for an internship program.

The majority of children who have been picked up or have yet to transform their seed usually ask to be officially baptised. In doing so, their "dormant mana seed" is turned into a "blessed mana seed". As a result, they would be able to use basic lesser artefacts and become fully eligible to learn the arts of the Church. Lesser artefacts are man made artefacts formed from blessed alchemy.

While children have the option to pick other pathways, they would need to learn the necessary usage from people who can use them. This task is difficult due to the focus on artefacts and the lack of people comparative to Orphans

However, it is important to know that the Church requires a minority of people to not have blessed mana to serve them. After all, the Orphanage encompasses many other children that are not of Church origin. Naturally, these children do not wield blessed mana.

Having these other types of powers are substantial for the construction of a strong military force, especially here in the Missionary Church of Vanquish.

Stilla and Dalis sat quickly on to the vacant seats of the table. Despite being empty, the seats were not really vacant: the spots were tacitly reserved. When they sat, Sister Edna clapped her hands in attention. 

"Now everyone let us recite before we eat: May Caleyar, bless upon our mortal selves."

Everyone: "May Caleyar, bless upon our mortal selves."

"Good, now you may all dine-in!"

 

***

 

"Mmmm today's food is also very delicious. Thank you, Sister Edna!" Stilla cheerfully said as she proceeded to take small-sized munches out of her sandwich and tangy mayonnaise-dressed salad. 

Stilla always took small-sized bites in order to savour the food she had been given. However, that was a whole nother different story when there was more food on the table . . . 

"Yep, it is good as always."

"Yum yum yum, Sister Edna is the best!"

"It's not half bad."

"Hey be more appreciative Koji!"

"It is my pleasure," Sister Edna kindly said as she looked at everyone eating their food. She always felt satisfied after watching people enjoy the food she made.

"Stilla," Dalis called.

"Hmm? What is it Dalis?"

"Your face." He pointed to where pieces of food had stuck to her face.

"Ah!" Stilla let out a gasp. 

She placed her utensils on the table and then quickly reached towards the handkerchief to wipe off the grains that had stuck to her face. She looked a little embarrassed.

"Thank you Dalis."

"What a waste of food, you always reprimand me if I don't finish eating my supper, big sister. Maybe I should have taken it off you," he nonchalantly said with a sense of mockery.

"Eh?" 

*TING* 

The fork and knife used by the boy named Melvin Serven sitting next to Stilla suddenly fell onto the plate. 

"Oh boy."

"Here it comes again."

"Melvin and Dalis?"

"Good thing that I haven't finished my breakfast, I needed some extra spicing."

"Hmph." 

The table went silent as a dismissive scoff echoed from beside Stilla. 

An impatient tapping rhythmically rang out, time slowed, and the air grew still. Melvin straightened his back, as his right hand was raised above his mouth, and his left slowly picked up the knife he had dropped. He looked down upon the shorter Dalis before swerving his head away from him as if he were disgusted by the mere sight. 

"It appears a little boy has accidentally found his way to the grown-up table. My neck would hurt if I were to bend it enough to see you down there. Go on now and return to whence you came," said Melvin as he elegantly tried to cover up his dropped utensils.

"If you're so worried about bending your neck . . . I could show you Stilla's massage technique she showed me the other day." 

"When did I—"

"Oh? A massage technique? I'd be delighted, but I doubt a pipsqueak like you would be able to satisfy me." Melvin then ignored Dalis before focusing his attention towards Stilla, lowering his head and mustering in a voice as suave as he could achieve—

"Would you provide me with the honour to witness your massaging technique?"

Stilla's expression flashed in apprehension but quickly returned to a smile before Melvin could move his head up to see.

Dalis wore an expression of bewilderment. He turned back to his food and chose wisely to wash his hands off of Melvin's perversion.

As Melvin continued to bother Stilla, Sister Edna had returned to the table to find nothing out of the ordinary. 

After breakfast had finished. Sister Edna gathered the children at the table and lead them outside the Church doors to do their daily village rounds. The children would talk to the villagers, provide food offerings, make idle talk, and preach or recite their Lord Caleyar. 

Dalis was grouped together with Stilla and Melvin against his will once again. Thus, he strove to quickly finish his rounds to escape from Stilla's coercion and Melvin's insufferable personality.

During their trip to the next house, the group spotted a woman walking towards them with three children, two walking aside her and one toddler cradled in her arms. She was the Head Mother of Caleyar Orphanage, Mother Michelle. 

"Good morning Mother!" 

"Greetings, Mother." 

"Hello." 

Greeted Stilla, Melvin, and Dalis respectively. 

"Good morning children." Michelle replied as they approached each other. 

"Who are these children, Mother?" asked Stilla with a sparkle in her eyes. 

Anyone could tell that she found them adorable.

"These children are soon going to be your younger siblings. They lived towards the southeast coast and lost their homes to a beast attack. So I picked up the poor souls to come to live with us in the Orphanage. Please take care of them well."

"Worry not, Mother! We will welcome them with open arms," affirmed Melvin enthusiastically before shooting a glance at Dalis.

"Hehe, they're so cute. Let's quickly bring them to the Orphanage Mother. They need a bath after all this travelling," chimed Stilla.

"Yeah, let's head back," Dalis agreed. 

This was a convenient opportunity to keep both of his companions in check.

The group headed back alongside Mother Michelle. Along the way, they exchanged idle chatter and talked to their new siblings. Before long, they had arrived at the Orphanage. The group then separated from the Head Mother and individually began preparations to start studying under Scholar Somal's tutelage.

 

Author note: It may appear slow, but the story picks up quite fast, especially by chapter 15. Some info dumping in the first few chapters or so. Please bear with me!! 

7