Chapter 12-13: (Combined) The Week Before the Pre-Soldier Exam; Otherside
213 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the centre of the Town of Vanquish stood a robust, majestic and welcoming building decorated with Zetral symbols and constructed with drab aged brick. It was surrounded with lush gardens, sprawling flowers of various colours, and multiple short-trimmed and well-maintained shrubbery. This building was the beloved Church of Vanquish, respite to the masses and military command to the many Vanquish Soldiers. Unlike its dignified aged look, the inside of the Church was maintained daily by the clergy and seemed to glow ever so slightly as if to prove that it was a holy place. The interior furnishings were surprisingly mismatched; however, with some old artefacts and pottery clashing with various pieces of modern furniture.

At the entrance of the Missionary Church, a stout righteous man stood diligently, waiting for the arrival of the distinguished guests. Contrary to his appearance that suggested he was a man between the age of the late twenties and early thirties: he was a man in his late thirties. 

This man was Apostle Wrau, the Apostle of Vanquish, one of the Seven Apostles of the Church. He was responsible for the seemingly random pieces of modern furniture and technology imported from Cresuilge Kingdom. Apparently, he insisted on "keeping up with the times" as it would bring them closer to the children. Although he was entitled as the "Apostle of Vanquish", he did not have full authority of the Missionary Church. The duty was also split with two other Apostles of the Missionary Church of Vanquish.

The seven Apostles are people appointed by the Pope to be the leading heads of the several dioceses. They often meet together to discuss political matters and undergo congregation. Underneath their god of worship Caleyar, they represent the seven disciples that Caleyar once had. However, they are not a reflection of the actual disciples that served Caleyar. It is simply a placeholder name with respect to Caleyar.  

Apostle Wrau also had another name which was known throughout the Pedlar Continent . . . “The Holy Reaper”. 

He is extremely warm to those in need and steadfast to those who rely on him, but those who oppose him will only have nightmares of the chill in his gaze. Apostle Wrau does not act like a proper apostle and is more like an elder brother, but his devotion and strength define his place among the Apostles. 

Apostle Wrau is the apostle most familiar with combat and is a formidable force against many. His word is treated as the absolute command unless authorities from Zetral overrule it. He is greatly respected and feared by many.

As Apostle Wrau waited patiently, three people had entered into the vicinity of the Church. 

The single woman of the group was dressed as a nun. A rosary necklace dangled across her neck. 

The other two were men. 

One of which who wore a raiment of wealthy value that seemed to emit a powerful divine aura, while the other wore a suit of blessed armour. They were headed together towards Apostle Wrau and had soon arrived at their destination. 

"Greetings, Apostle Wrau," the woman spoke as she gave a slight nod.

"Hello, Mother Michelle," Wrau warmly responded.

"No need for the formalities, please drop the Mother."

"Haha, I'm not one to care about differences of status. But, you're a mother in the Orphanage and a mother to the children, so therefore your my mother too. Isn't that fine?"

"If that pleases you Apostle Wrau, then Mother Michelle is fine."

"Apostle Wrau, your subordinate has arrived," the man who wore a suit of blessed armor proclaimed.

His name was Baseth Miller. He was the father of Karen.

Basteh was one of the Vanquish Generals. These people may not be the strongest, but they have the mind for peerless strategy, charisma, and leadership. They lead the Vanquish troops around the world and are the highest-ranked Vanquishers. These powerful people are pivotal players in the battlefield against the demonic beasts from The Land of Demons.

"Baseth, good work."

Apostle Wrau turned to look towards the last remaining man.

"Has my youngster entertained your arrival?" Apostle Wrau asked the man. 

"Indeed, so there is no need to worry. He had informed me of the current state of affairs and the new programs of the Orphanage since my arrival. It was pleasant to hear, Apostle Wrau."

"That's good. It's been a while since we have been together alone like this without the other Apostles, Apostle Farden."

Apostle Farden Gray was a little older than Apostle Wrau. Unlike Apostle Wrau, Farden was much more slim. However, well built in muscle likewise to Apostle Wrau. 

Farden was a man of principle. He was a very loyal devout of the Church and was, in actual fact, considered to be one of the closest to the Pope as the “Pope's aid”. 

Apostle Farden was usually in charge of organising many large rites and was the strongest preacher of the teachings of the Church. He ensured that all religious ceremonies are properly conducted with a great degree of piety. 

He is known to be an Apostle that conducts his duties predominantly inside the Head Church of Zetral. Travelling tends to be a rare occasion. As of now, his task was to oversee the Pre-Soldier Exam with Apostle Wrau and deepen relations with Cresuilge Kingdom officials. 

"Yes it has been a while. I'd like to spar with you as well later on after the diplomatic talk. I need to shape myself to maintain my image of a healthy man. Also . . . to see how much you have improved."

"Hahaha, that's the spirit Farden! You got the right attitude, it's time to take a break from all the handiwork duties. You"ve been closed up every day in the Head Church." Apostle Wrau put his arm over the shoulder of Apostle Farden as he laughed in joy.

(He's dropped the formalities to the wrong person . . . ) Apostle Farden groaned in his mind.

As if to help Apostle Farden who had been latched onto by Apostle Wrau, Mother Michelle spoke.

"Apostle Farden, when would you like to drop by to see the children at the Orphanage?" 

Apostle Farden moved away the loosened arm of Apostle Wrau.

"Anytime, as long as I see them at least once before the event if possible. Most preferably to view the ones that are training at the Training Facility. I'd like to see our vigilant children in combat and view the effectiveness of the facility, to see if it continues to be up to the required standard." 

"Hahaha, you sure are a hard worker. Looking for talents eh? Just wait until the exam starts, it would be a good surprise. Besides, you will need to entertain the guests of Cresuilge Kingdom."

"That wouldn't be a problem Apostle Wrau. Cresuilge Kingdom officials would likely also want to view the children at the orphanage. After all, we do have a sizeable amount of children from their homeland," Mother Michelle interjected. 

"Mmm, your right Mother Michelle. Let us all go together sometime this week with our friends from Cresuilge Kingdom!" Declared Apostle Wrau.

"Excuse me for interrupting your conversation. However, the distinguished guests have arrived." Baseth cut in politely as possible.

The sound of horse hooves treading on the cobble-stones had soon reached the ears of the four individuals. A gleaming silver carriage was pulled behind the horses’ backs. It was evident from anyone's eye that the carriage belonged to the royal family of Cresuilge Kingdom as the crest of the golden sword and crown was embedded on the lower half of the door. The whole exterior was decorated in small jewellery with refined patterns of artisanship that seemed to magnify its wealth. The horses were not to be left unattended either although they weren't decorative like the carriage. Instead, they wore silver armour that suggested they were warhorses, fitted to be mounted by the calvary. Above all, the whole spectacle was enchanted with mana of powerful prowess by enchanters from Cresuilge Kingdom. It was unknown to what enchantments the carriage and horses were layered with. 

The carriage stopped a metre before the four individuals, and two men walked out the door gracefully upon the carriage steps from both sides of the carriage.

"This junior, Crown Prince Kayle Hindebrandus Relza greets with the distinguished seniors of the Church," the Prince proclaimed as he stepped down from the carriage step onto the pavement. 

"Apostle Wrau, Apostle Farden, Mother Michelle and . . . ," the other man spoke and turned towards Baseth.

"I am Baseth, one of the generals of Vanquish. There is no need to pay heed to me Distinguished High Noble Travis Brown."  

Travis nodded his head and continued.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all."

"Crown Prince Kayle, there is no need to call yourself a junior. You will become the future heir of Cresuilge Kingdom, so you must not lower yourself to others," Apostle Farden advised.

"My apologies, you are correct. I'm still young, so I believed that paying respect to distinguished seniors such as yourselves was the right attitude to take." Crown Prince Kayle slightly nodded his head. 

"However you will have to wait a little longer for myself to become the future ruler, as there is a person much more fitting to that position than me." Crown Prince Kayle smiled.

"Hahaha Crown Prince sure loves to dote on her sister. A siscon that ought to be right."

As those words were spoken, the air became awkward . . . Apostle Farden's face had turned somewhat ugly. 

"Apostle Wrau, how could you show such rudeness to the Crown Prince?! You should be able to have a much better choices of words to express his brotherly care."

"Don't mind it Apostle Farden, it was just a joke . . . It has been going on for a while after I told him some silly rumours . . . *Sigh*" Crown Prince Kayle said dejectedly as if he had given up hope.

"Hahahaahahha, see Farden there's no worry at all! Me and Crown Prince are actually great buds, and we don't need to stand on ceremony."  

Apostle Farden looked towards the individuals around them. They each held faces that seemed to suggest understanding, layered with resignation. Though, this was ignoring the one outlier Baseth who seemed to be surprised at how daring Apostle Wrau was.

Apostle Farden stared at Mother Michelle as if to silently ask about it. Mother Michelle was quick to respond as she slowly spoke in a troubled voice.

"You see . . . Apostle Farden . . . Apostle Wrau loves children and is very fond of them. Since Crown Prince Kayle is only twenty-three years of age, he is still considered a child in Apostle Wrau's eyes despite him being a Prince . . . Furthermore, Apostle Wrau has taken a considerable liking to the Prince due to his personality and talent. Whenever an opportunity arises, Apostle Wrau would ask specifically if he would be able to meet with one of the three heirs from Cresuilge Kingdom in diplomatic matters. However, since a majority of matters are unable to be dutied by the other two due to their maturity and age . . . Crown Prince Kayle is often left to please Apostle Wrau."

Apostle Farden was speechless.

"Mother Michelle, you make it seem as if Crown Prince Kayle is forced to be with me. I only asked if it was possible to meet with them. It's not like they're obliged to adhere to my request you know?" 

There was a sullen atmosphere around the carriage. 

(The one time when Crown Prince Kayle couldn't come, your mood remained so low spirited that the King couldn't help but feel pity towards you. Fearing this may tarnish Cresuilge Kingdom's relation with the Missionary Church of Vanquish. The King made a silent declaration that one of the three children were required to attend him if it was possible in the given opportunity.) High Noble Travis felt indignant and sympathy for his Prince.

Consequently, this had inevitably lead to a significant increase in the relationships between the two nations. After all, Apostle Wrau was not only an Apostle, he was also one of the people who managed the trading of militaristic commodities of the Missionary Church of Vanquish. Thus, the benefits outweigh the cost . . . the cost of the Prince's freedom . . . . 

 

Chapter 13 The Week Before the Pre-Soldier Exam (Part 4) (Edited)

The group of distinguished guests headed towards the Caleyar Orphanage, on foot, for a brief tour around the Orphanage. Although the Orphanage was not a first-time visit for them, the majority were still curious to watch the children who were preparing for the upcoming Pre-Soldier Exam and to see the current state of the Orphanage. 

"Apostle Wrau, have the special models been delivered to you in time?" High Noble Travis asked.

"Yeah we had received them last week as scheduled. Many of the folks are impressed at its usual fineness, not to mention the unique properties this time are quite befitting for the Church. As resources required to manufacture artefacts are not as abundant as Kingdom commodities, it is a saving grace to us," Apostle Wrau replied.

"That is pleasant to hear. If the Church would like more sales, then we would have to trouble Jackchanter, for more of these products. Not to worry, as long as we satisfy his ego he will manufacture the goods in due time." 

"Hahahaha, understood. We shall have a drink tonight together and exchange pleasantries before going down onto those details. Prince you are onboard too!" Apostle Wrau laughed. 

"Yes . . . I'd prefer not to drink though . . . " Crown Prince Kayle replied unenthusiastically.

"Hmm . . . I had heard about these goods in a report. May I personally inspect the products later?" Apostle Farden asked interestedly.

"Of course. The Head Church too needs to evaluate the esteemed products. I'd like to know Apostle Jeremiah's impression on the products. " High Noble Travis nodded with pride.

Apostle Jeremiah Ricco, he is a philanthropist who loves the Church and its people. He leads a branch of specialised Church people who work as blessed craftsmen and artisans to produce artefacts. Through years of work, he was entitled as the Product Apostle. Apostle Jeremiah was one of the Apostles who are primarily stationed at the Church of Vanquish. For the most part, he would be on the Underground floor of the Church of Vanquish as that is where his base of operations is located. He is often recalled to the Head Church to personally deliver the manufactured special artefacts or other product requests there for demonstration. 

"Jeremiah is in the Head Church, so you won't be able to see him for now," Apostle Wrau disclosed.

"That's a shame."

"If the products are as exceptional as reported, then we may provide substantial funding. While they could be manufactured for other uses such as infrastructure, the military usage is desirable for our upcoming plans," Apostle Farden stated. 

"Upcoming plans?" Crown Prince Kayle furrowed his brow.

"Right. In our last congregation two months ago, we had a discussion pertaining to the growing restlessness of the demonic beasts in The Land of Demons. Within the last hundreds of years and especially as of recent years, the number of outbreaks has dramatically increased in The Land of Demons. Not to mention in spite of the Great War five years ago against the Mavens, the number of demon beasts have not declined as much as we had expected. This had drawn our suspicion and so we have conceived and discussed measures to deal with it. The current consensus is to form a group of powerful units to investigate the land," Apostle Wrau revealed in a stern tone.

"Do the other nations know of this plan? We have been noted about the progressive, continuous growth of demon beasts and their outbreaks. However, it is the first I have heard about this plan. Do you plan to make it joint with the other nations?" Crown Prince Kayle asked.

"As of the given moment, we are still in the phase of consideration for collaboration. After all, you know about those particular absurd rumours about us since that war. As much as we would prefer working with other nations to purge those vile fiends, those higher up snobby Feerias and dubious Swamps do not trust us," Apostle Farden bleated.

"That is troublesome . . . If you need a pair of arms, Cresuilge Kingdom would happily send in their best personnel for the investigation. The Gigans wouldn't mind either as that war had been responsible for hundreds of thousands of innocent lives from each of our respective territories. It would be our duty and obligation," Crown Prince Kayle responded.

"We appreciate the offer, and we will keep it in mind." Apostle Farden nodded.

"Speaking of rumours, there have been talks about the potential existence of Maven remnants still being active," muttered High Noble Travis. 

"Cresuilge Kingdom as well has been quite concerned with regards to the truth of this matter. Do the Church know if its just nonsense or fact . . . ?" Crown Prince Kayle asked grimly.

The expression of the young Crown Prince surprised Apostle Farden.

"Besides that one particular case from two years ago, there have been no such occurrences. Neither has there been any evidence to suggest so. It is simply a rumour," Apostle Farden replied.

" . . . I see then . . . Then that is pleasing to hear . . . " 

The air around them felt somewhat heavy.

"Oh Crown Prince, the knight tournament is coming up too ain't it, in Cresuilge Kingdom?" Apostle Wrau suddenly brought up.

"Hm? That is right. This year's 93rd Knights of Kingdom Tourney is about to commence soon in a couple of weeks. Are you planning to pay a visit to our youngsters and veterans?" Crown Prince Kayle asked.

"Hmm . . . we have our hands full nowadays so I'm quite busy despite how I am. Although, If I do go, I will be able to meet Crown Prince, Little Princess, and Little Prince. I haven't seen your siblings, for a long time so I'd be damned to let this chance slip! Ahhh but work! Those bloody demon beasts keeping me at work,"  Apostle Wrau lamented as he fought with his internal conflict.

"Ahahaha . . . " Crown Prince Kayle weakly laughed.

The rest of the group maintained their position to observe. Even Apostle Farden had given up. Years ago, he had tried to fix his childish attitude that he showed against a distinct few, however, to no avail. 

"Oh yeah will this tourney have anything special to offer? Two years ago, the winner of the tournament was entitled to become one of The Knights of Majesty. To think the Little Princess was able to obtain a win in the hardest tournament at that age . . . She's as talented as your mother."

"Yes, my sister created quite a stir across the whole Pedlar Continent. She will definitely reach unpredictable heights in the future. With regards to your question, the survivors will become a well-privileged knight. There will be something else this year as well. We actually plan to let particular individuals be eligible to participate in the tournament. Those individuals refer to the children who perform remarkably in your Pre-Soldier Exam. Of course, it is to provide the children with experience as they will be the future soldiers for The Land of Demons. 

"WHAT? THIS IS THE FIRST I"VE HEARD ABOUT THIS?!" Apostle Wrau shouted very loudly.

"Apostle Wrau would you please calm your voice, we are almost at the Orphanage. The children will be scared of you," Mother Michelle reprimanded. 

"Ah, sorry, Mother Michelle. Don't want the kids to be running away from their Uncle Wrau," Uncle Wrau apologised. 

The word "uncle" was muttered among the group.

"Yes, Apostle Wrau. We were actually planning to discuss it with you. Mother Michelle and other senior figures sometime this week," Crown Prince Kayle said.

"My major concern is, if by some rare unexpected chance somebody from the Orphanage wins, what would this entail? A well-privileged knight, not a new member of the Knights of Majesty? " Apostle Farden asked. His eyes glinted knowingly. 

"If a child wins, then we would need to discuss that in more detail. There is no need to worry Apostle Farden," Crown Prince Kayle replied with a bright smile fitting for a well-mannered prince.

"You would be popular with the ladies if you keep up that smile Crown Prince. Hahahaha!" Apostle Wrau spoke in a joking manner.

"Eh . . . " Crown Prince Kayle felt embarrassed.

(He usually has that smile, but for some odd reason you never see it.) High noble Travis thought.

"Will this time's tournament involve any of the Knights of Majesty such as yourself, Royal Highness?" General Baseth asked.  

"Yes, the top thirty individuals will be challenging one of the Knights of Majesty in battle. If they were to stand ground until the time limit in battle, then they would automatically become a well-privileged knight and would be able to choose to become a disciple of one of the Knights of Majesty. Unfortunately, they would not be able to become a winner of the tournament. However, it is still an honourable concession and not to be looked down upon. If they were able to win . . ."

(Disciple?) Apostle Farden was pondering with a bemused smile.

"Haha! Win? If such a thing happened, I'd be surprised. Regardless, that is quite an honour. It is too bad that I can't participate," General Baseth said with a tone of that expressed a little disappointment. 

"That's right Baseth, leave the fun for the youngsters. We gotta be the ones protecting the homeland until they grow up," Apostle Wrau said as he patted his arm over the back of General Baseth.

"Yes sir." 

"Keep in mind some of the mentioned facts are classified. Allow me to take the role of disclosing what should be shared to others," Crown Prince Kayle warned. 

"Distinguished guests we have arrived at the Orphanage," Mother Michelle announced.

As the distinguished group approached the main front door of the Caleyar Orphanage. Three children around the age of fifteen appeared in sight: Dalis, Stilla, and Melvin. They were on their way outside to obtain the weapon artefact requested by Scholar Somal.

"Uncle Wrau!" Stilla greeted with delight. 

Some faces of the distinguished group twitched. 

"Heyyy, your Uncle is here, looks like the three of you are together as always." Apostle Wrau greeted with familial warmth. He gave a forced hug to the three of them.

"Senior Wrau greetings," Dalis and Melvin said simultaneously. They were trying their best to embrace the impact of those iron arms.

"You kids, training hard? Need Uncle Wrau to warm you guys up?" 

Apostle Wrau gazed at Dalis and Melvin in particular.

"No no . . . It's fine . . . " Melvin panicked.

"Another time Senior Wrau. We are tasked by our teacher Scholar Somal to deliver a package to him. We are now on our way to pick it up." 

"Ah I understand Dalis. No problem, no problem. It's a shame I couldn't show you guys off early. Hahahahaha. Off you guys go!"

When they took their attention off Apostle Wrau to head out, they had realised that the figures behind him were distinguished guests; Dalis was an exception. They were quick to pay their respects and leave, to not intrude in their important business. It is not every day to see such individuals gathered together. Dalis was for some reason very cautious and attempted to not show actions that would attract attention during their slight exchange.

"Were those children candidates for the Pre-Soldier Exam?" Crown Prince Kayle asked.

"That's right, they're an odd bunch. But you will be surprised." 

 

4