Chapter 43: Pre-Soldier Exam (30) Pre-Soldier Exam End!
107 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Melvin observed the weird scene in front of him and felt a sense of familiarity. He pretty much had the gist of what had occurred. His mind flashed back to a distant past of a time he had spent with her. 

*Flashback*

There was one-time several years ago in the Great Feeria Library where he coincidentally came across Alexia. She was invested in reading a spellbook about the laws of controlling water.

Melvin was somewhat acquainted with her at the time. He decided to use this opportunity to impress her by showcasing how it was done. Hence, he would be able to flaunt his superiority.

The prided little Alexia ended up losing to him in terms of knowledge. She was able to accept this as she knew that this guy was a complete bookworm. However, she stated there was absolutely no way she would suffer defeat if it was actual practice. 

Then the two had a little competition to see who had superior control within the laws of water mana. Despite her speciality of water, she had actually been defeated, albeit barely. Of course, she inevitably forced a rematch onto him, which ended with the same result.

"No way, no way! My water is much stronger and more azure, while yours is so dull and plain. But why is it I can't form those complicated shapes like you do?"

"Hmph. Mae Family's young daughter, just because of your latent talent you believe you can surpass me when it comes to comprehending the elemental laws? You are patently still a novice . . . no amateur when juxtaposed to me, Melvin Serven."

"I don't believe you. I don't believe you."

"The facts are in front of you. Child stop looking away from reality," Melvin declared as he bloomed a conjured lily flower in front of her. The blue lily had six beautiful petals made of water. Upon his wish, it returned to its bulb state.  

"CHEATER! CHEATER! That's how I lost! CHEATER!" Alexia shouted aloud, reaching the ears of almost everyone within the vicinity. 

After accusing those words, she stormed off.

It was due to this incident that Melvin was later scolded by his parents for erupting trouble with the daughter of the Mae clan. Melvin argued that he was innocent, but it was to no avail. Offending a high status noble like her was not acceptable regardless if he was in the right or wrong. 

What made the incident worse was that everyone took the side of Alexia. 

Melvin was drowned with rage and vowed that if he had the opportunity again, he would display to everyone his superior control of the elemental laws. He resented Alexia for his indignation and desired revenge! 

Contrary to his expectations, this sprouted desire did not last long. He was faced with an unusual scene the day after.

 

***

 

The day after.

He was not suspended or prohibited from entering the library. Hence, he returned to his daily readings. The first thing he did was walk towards where the incident had occurred to consolidate his determinations. 

What he did not expect was to run again into Alexia reading the exact same book. Except for this time, she was even more immensely invested in reading it. 

Melvin was about to teach her a lesson before recalling the words of his parents, eliciting a halt. Instead, he muttered his vow and turned his back and strutted away. 

Unfortunately, Alexia had caught sight of his escape, and it only took a moment for her to approach beside him.

"Why are you running away?"

"Running? Why would I enact such a cowardly act?"

"Forget it. What I want to do is rechallenge you!"

"Challenge? You want to challenge a so-called "cheater", is that what I hear?"

"Yes, that's right! I'm going to be the best water elemental master, so everyone who wins against me when it comes to water is a cheater!"

"$%^*?" (How does that even make any logical sense?) 

Melvin was utterly flabbergasted. No matter how much he tried to wrack his brains, he was unable to draw a rational conclusion. He had to interrogate her to settle his disturbed mind and get to the bottom of this. 

"Then your father, and the other elders whether they're family or not are considered to be "cheaters" . . . is that correct?"

"No? How could I win against daddy, uncles, and seniors? Are you stupid? I need to wait until I grow up to challenge them."

" . . . Then who do you consider as "cheaters"?"

"You . . . and um . . . you? I guess? There's nobody around my age who can beat me when it comes to any aspect of water so . . . you must be the only cheater!"

Melvin’s calculative, extensive, and formative brain was dumbstruck. This girl definitely had a few screws loose in her head.

*Present*

" . . . "

Remembering such an unpleasant memory made his body feel an upheaval of fatigue. He then regained his state of mind to focus on the stirred events. 

(Should I voice in their defence? No, if I made such a silly move, it is certain that I will somehow be muddled in the sex offender list.) 

Melvin shook his head. 

Although these guys were part of the candidates who attacked him, he no longer bore a grudge. Instead, he sympathised for their loss. They were not guilty at all.

Due to the dangerous turn of events, the overseers were once again forced to intervene with the exam. Alexia and the five non-guilty victims were taken away for interrogation. The overseers had seen everything that had transpired through the marble artefacts. But, that was not enough as audio was unable to be recorded for such a grand scale exam. 

The victims struggled and pleaded they had done nothing wrong. However, that had only escalated the problem as the other candidates rebuked them, and became more fervent in their demand for justice. Thus, they were forced to shut their mouths. All they could do was curse inwardly.

(Such a shameless mistress from Feeria. My life is ruined because of the bullshit that came from her mouth. Who the hell is interested in a crazy girl like her?)

(That girl better not makeup shit once we get our say. Tomfoolery and debauchery my ass/ Why did she have to be a noble figure? Only Lord Caleyar knows what's gonna happen.)

(When I said spanking, It obviously meant punishing. I had no plans to spank her at all! If I did that the Church probably wouldn't be able to save me. Who would actually dare to assault her?!)

After they were taken away, the heightened tension gradually calmed down. Many of them stuck around for a while to exchange talk before heading off their own ways. It seemed that nobody was no longer interested in Melvin.

Dalis and Sienna were notified by their peers of what happened. Dalis was sceptical and thought they were exaggerating. Sienna too was sceptical but had many ideas running through her mind as if to validate the authenticity.

Then they walked towards Melvin to discuss their next course of action. 

Melvin was still partly vexed but managed to forgive them as it was his fault, to begin with. 

Due to the agglomeration of events, the group was rather easy-going. There were no specific plans for the next day. They were just going to hunt beasts, and that's about it . . . really.

 

***

 

And so the uneventful day had arrived. The group's initial plan was to arise early in the morning to hunt beasts. However, it seemed that exhaustion had overcome them once again. 

It was not a surprise for Dalis and Sienna considering the fact they had gone through an arduous battle. The real surprise was Melvin. It seemed that his interaction with Alexia had unknowingly placed a strenuous toll on his mental health. As a result, he had only awakened just a quarter before noon. 

Embracing the sunshine, he checked the time. 

(It appears I have overslept along with them. Perhaps I should consider waking them up and scold them for sleeping in. No, that perceptive insect will know that I too had only roused a moment ago.)

Making his mind up, Melvin awoke the two sleeping children. 

The two woke up and noticed the time. Dalis felt a little bitter but had no regrets. To him, sleeping was absolutely essential. Sienna accepted her slack and told herself that she needs to be less negligent of herself. 

There was no time for breakfast, so they simply waited for the time to pass. 

Dalis, on the other hand, had one last thing he was required to do.

"Oi, Rhinearian Beetle! You awake?"

The beetle opened its eyes, slightly tilting its body up and down to indicate that it was awake.

Dalis gazed upon the beetle for the time it takes for an incense to burn before turning his back.

His eyes were deep and profound. It seemed to reflect the boundless ocean. 

It was impossible to know what he was thinking.

The beast was confused by its master's action. However, it had a peculiar instinctive feeling that prompted it to tremble in apprehension. It sensed its master's distress and wondered if it had been the cause of it.

"We may have only known each other for a short while. But with the passage of time, it is time for us to part."

The Rhinearian Beetle's craggy exterior began to shake. Only the beetle itself and its master would know if it were from nervousness or sadness. Almost longingly, the beetle approached Dalis's hand and caressed its massive forehead against it. 

Dalis fortitude wavered but quickly regained. He thought for a moment and retrieved a few stalks of his prized calpufer herbs of which he wrapped it high up on one of its front legs.

"Worry not. There will be a time when we reunite. After all, I have yet to reveal the other secret techniques of domestication."

The beetle's eyes glazed over as the previous anxiety was replaced with a shudder—a different type of fear. However, that soon faded. A steely determination and creep of anticipation were seen instead. 

The two turned away from each other and solemnly tread onwards on their respective paths.

"Farewell."

2