Chapter 52: Welcome to Book 2 and the Cresuilge Kingdom
74 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had already been two weeks since their departure to the north. A church wagon train could be seen following the road trails to The Cresuilge Kingdom. It would not be long until they enter into the inner Kingdom gates—to the Royal Capital. They had already passed the borders and were within the vicinity of many neighbouring towns, cities, and villages. This was already the Cresuilge Kingdom's territory. 

The Cresuilge Kingdom is located a little below the middle of the Pedlar Continent and is quite close in proximity to the Missionary Church. For the other major powers, the distance from them to Cresuilge Kingdom would take over a span of months via a church wagon. 

Dalis stared out the window of the church wagon. This wagon is different from a covered wagon in that they were made with blessed material all-around. In addition, the wagon had a permanent top and a superimposed zetral-styled cloth as a cover. There were several sliding windows that had a cloth attached used for covering them when needed, such as during times of dusk.

(To think Sister Edna would be going on the trip to supervise the chosen children. Nevertheless, be in charge of our group—group 1). Dalis's lips curled upwards to form a faint smile.  

 

*Flashback*

Sister Edna, you're going to be our supervising Sister?!

That's right, were you surprised?~

Not really, it was just to be expected. Who else can be a perfect fit besides my one and only Sister Edna?

Young man, watch your words. They can be misleading.

What's misleading Sister Edna?

Your Sister just remembered about your punishment. 

*Gulp*

*Present* 

 

"If only matters were that simple . . . " Dalis mumbled.

(It is likely that Mother pulled some strings or had pre-planned this long ago).

"Dalis what are you looking at? Did you find something interesting?" Stilla asked.

"No, but it is somewhat confounding that Cresuilge Kingdom has such a large difference in living conditions compared to the Vanquish territory. Is this the so-called industrialisation?" Dalis said in a manner as if he was talking to himself. 

After a fair distance into Cresuilge Kingdom's territory, almost every orphan that was not an internship student was unable to take their eyes away from the window, including Dalis. It was as though the children were living in a colourless world striped black and white, and had entered a foreign world that was filled with a concept known as colour. 

The average villager did not wear their simple sleeveless capes or coats with sleeves. Nor did they have poor long gowns with sleeveless tunics and wimples to cover their hair. Let alone, sheepskin cloaks, woollen hats, fur capes, and cloaks. Instead, they wore wool, cotton, and other materials to form their clothing: jackets, vests, pants, and shirts, etc. 

The quality was similar to the well-off villages and average citizens from the Town of Vanquish. It's no surprise, after all, these were imported by the Cresuilge Kingdom!

When it came to the townspeople and city folks, they varied between having the quality of a villager at the lowest point and trendy and fashionable garments at the highest point. They were not inferior to the embroidered quality robes, long gowns, silk dresses, gorgeous accessories, and complete sets of hanfu from Feeria. 

Moreover, this was just the fashion. The infrastructure tended to be relatively similar to buildings from Zetral. They were made from malleable materials like wood, wattle, and daub, and cob, etc. Though the main difference is that the buildings did not faintly glimmer with gold light. 

Despite what Dalis had seen, he had a peculiar feeling with how he felt about it. It was very strange, and he couldn't put his finger on it. But if he had to describe it, he would say it is too . . . modernised? It couldn't be summed with a culture shock. 

"Oh yeah, the clothing and stuff right? It's similar back at home but everything looks so different!" Stilla bubbled as she moved closer to Dalis to look outside with him.

Dalis moved aside when he felt the incoming presence. Knowing Stilla, she was going to accidentally hog most of the space. She really failed at being a "big sister" if she can't even notice little things like this.

Curious of his peers, Dalis surveyed the inside of the wagon. He saw Sienna sitting down with a weird face. Following her line of sight, Dalis's eyes enlarged. A figure stood as straight as a door. From the backdoor, one could see the figure's hands clasped behind his back. Although he looked as straight as a door, if one looked closely, they could see his head slightly tilted upwards. It wasn't apparent from a back view but to those outside it was clear as day.

 

***

 

"Apparently, there's news of some suspicious figures having trespassed the borders," a patrolling guard said. 

"Suspicious figures? What do we know?" the inner Kingdom gate guard asked."

"According to reports, they were glimpsed near the Vestorn Village. Unfortunately, they disappeared during the moment of panic."

"Then, it is possible that they have already fled. Vestorn Village is close to the northeast border after all. Any suspicions on their background?" 

"Likely from Feeria or the Swamp based on their supposed tracks. Only their techniques would be able to hide them once they dare enter our territory, particularly the Swamp. However, it could be an assembly of rogue practitioners. That would be most likely . . ."

"The tournament commences in a few days. It is very possible they are here to cause trouble there. Has everyone else been notified?"

"Only a handful sir. We have our hands full with all the incoming visitors, and we wish to not cause a panic. The other patrolling guards and nearby knights in the area have their eyes peeled."

"Good. If they last appeared at Vestorn Village, it would be very difficult for them to proceed into the Royal Capital by this point of time. I will notify the castle right away and request the gatekeeper to notify all gate guards to raise security," The inner Kingdom guard said and strode away at a hurried pace. 

Feeling satisfied with fulfilling his duty, the patrolling guard left to return to his post which coincided with the entering church wagons. The guard perceived an uncomfortable feeling as though someone was watching him. Being uneasy, he hastily moved his head. 

No longer was he in a pleasant mood.

In one of the proudly moving church wagons, the guard saw a suave man with his head slightly poking out of the window. That elevated chin of his was eye-catching.  Examining his indifferent eyes, he did not see him looking at him. Yet, his senses were telling him that he was exuding a sliver of disdain behind his gaze. 

"Fuck that kid," the guard cussed and moved his eyes away only to regret his actions.

He saw in each one of those windows across him a person standing as straight as a door, literally looking down on him. Yes, these others did not even attempt to hide their disdain. They looked at him either with amusement or derided him. They did this by chuckling to themselves or by tilting their heads in a contemptuous manner.

"God damn Feeria brats!!"

That voice did not come from the guard. The voice, in fact, belonged to one of the several affected onlookers. If it wasn't for them being kids and knowing those wagons were respected guests from either Zetral or the Missionary Church . . . they would've already waged war. Yet, that was only a fleeting wish. 

As if that voice was the trigger, the rest of the onlookers began to spout a bunch of retorts. 

"You kids think you're so funny?!" a woman shouted out, thrusting her index finger at them. "I would like to see that bold attitude once you get into the inner Kingdom!!" she added in a stronger, more reprimanding voice.    

"Arrogant under the banner of Zetral, the symbol of Caleyar, you children better respect the Lord's magnanimity to be even under his protection!" a woman cried. 

"Like their mothers and fathers, they're snobs, snobs, snobs," a man scoffed under his breath in a tone loud enough to reach their ears.  

The guard was no longer hesitant. Without regard to his respected image, he began to yell.

"You spoiled brats think you can get away with this under the presence of the King?! Don't think I don't know who you brats are. One word from me and all of you won't even think about pissing others off!!"

Unfortunately for the onlookers, their discontent was only music to their ears; they strived to act even more snobbish and arrogant. 

(At this rate, these Melvins will end up getting us all in trouble. Looks like I have no choice). Dalis shook his head side to side in a sighing manner. He was about to get Stilla onto them.

"Do you immature Feerias really need another wake-up call? It seemed we didn't discipline you fools hard enough last time," Benito said. He adjusted his white scarf as though he was getting ready before teaching them a lesson.  

"Benito, no need to dirty your hands. I, your comrade Li Jun shall handle this." He strutted past Benito and went to face one of the Feerias next to the window. 

"Hmph, if the Jun Clan wishes to do some house cleaning, then I cannot remain idle." Hayate immediately turned and set his sights on that obnoxious blonde boy. His crimson ponytail fluttered in his stirred windy presence.

Dalis watched the scuffle ensue as everyone began to fight. 

(I wonder if they sell popcorn in the Cresuilge Kingdom?  I'm going to need this when Melvin faces someone he can't match. Unfortunately, this wish will probably never come true.) 

"Hey Stilla do you still have those cookies?" 

His call went unanswered: he was enjoying himself so much that he forgot that Stilla was actually in the fray. 

Dalis then casually went towards Stilla's bag to scavenge the remaining cookies. He would never do this to anyone but her and Melvin.

1