Chapter 58: Melvin’s Ambition Part 1
54 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Melvin! Koji! The second floor is up here! Hurry!" 

"Melvin . . . you are still here? If we do not get moving, you will be left behind again."

"Passed down since the descent of Caleyar . . ." 

(He's murmuring to himself again. Forget it. At the pace we are going, it would take more than a week to reach the top.) Koji gave a quick glance towards the distant corridor. Stilla could be seen leaning on the handrails of the L shaped stairs, waving in an energised pout.

"I am going. Don't complain that I didn't warn you. This has been the ninth time." Without an ounce of concern for Melvin, he went to follow suit after Stilla. 

It was only until about five minutes later did Melvin realise he was ditched behind by his fellow roommates.

"It appears that I have been left behind. Very well, I will temporarily leave this floor for tomorrow's rendezvous. He briefly scanned the museum's interior and nodded his head. He then ambled towards the second floor while enjoying the short glimpses of tomorrow's work in the quaint atmosphere. Ten minutes later he had reached the second floor, passing eighty-five exhibits out of the hundred and seven he had yet to examine.  

The trio was currently in Pedlar Continent's most renowned museum—Historical Hall of Chronologies. It was built long ago during the founding of Feeria. Inspired and aided by The Sorcerer of Magic, Avenzio Saldorentes, Cresuilge Stradfold Relza wished to record the histories of the world in a monumental form. This will from Cresuilge sparked the fervent construction of this museum by his following descendants. At first, it was a small gallery of exhibits, but now it held more than ten floors and is the largest infrastructure in the Cresuilge Kingdom. It is even larger than the Relza Castle and Stage of Knights. The museum is still expanding even to this day, and its newly made eleventh floor is currently closed to record this generation's history. 

Melvin had searched the second floor but was unable to find either of them. 

(Perhaps they have already reached the third floor? No, how could they lack decorum? I suppose I had slipped past them without notice.) Believing this was the case, he continued his search on the second floor. He resisted the urge to examine the exhibits and gave pursuit onwards. However upon arriving at a particular section, he was unable to maintain his momentum. Standing before his eyes stood a tall, long robed man, wearing a cloak that swept the ground. The grandeur figure exuded an overwhelming presence that would bring anyone’s tracks to a halt when coming into his sight. If it was alive, it would cause a large population to kneel and bow unconditionally. It was a gold statue of Avenzio Saldorentes.

While Melvin moved closer to inspect the statue, he saw a couple of people stricken with reverence. They were likely visitors from Feeria. Even one elderly figure could be seen deeply kneeling down. Seeing this warmed Melvin's heart. He felt that he should do the same in respect of the illustrious founder, but he did not. After he had finished his inspection, he moved along following the signages to prevent being lost. This particular section was a struggle to Melvin as it held accounts of the histories of the founding nations. 

(This is!!) Melvin's eyes widened like saucers as he meticulously scrutinised the displays that showcased the history of the Great Feeria Library. There were relevant paintings, some design prints, artefacts, and books. Unfortunately, there were stone poles that acted as gates to indicate visitors to not move too close. Thus, Melvin could only watch from afar. After gazing at the items, he settled his racing curiosity by reading many of the correspondent museum labels. 

Summaries of a few labels:

The success of this museum could not have been achieved without the collaboration of Avenzio Saldorentes's efforts with Feeria. Particularly, the support from Venjana Serven, and the Great Serven Family who were one of the cores to the museum's foundation. The Great Serven Family were a powerhouse in Feeria but grew even further in prominence under Avenzio. They sought various places around the continent by orders of Avenzio to obtain, collect, and recompile findings into written, recorded information. This later established the Great Feeria Library. The accumulated knowledge was shared between the two nations to develop not only the library but as well as fill a large proportion of the first historical display of Feeria in the later founded museum. This collaboration between the nations was one of the major bridges that aided to form the respective nation's deep long relationships.

Nowadays, the Great Feeria Library was home to further enhance the knowledge and education of citizens through demonstrations and lectures. In addition, with the automatic magically powered management system devised by Efalos Lanself and upgraded by Ruven Lanself, the library had become much more convenient and augmented. Notably, the system has been positively appraised by all of the current national leaders of the continent. 

"Hmph, it appears that no matter how aged and extensive this museum is, it is still just a gallery. I am disheartened. The exhibit of contributions attributed to the Great Serven family is severely lacking! My great ancestors' blood, sweat, and tears were proudly squeezed to form the largest database of magical knowledge known to man! Other accumulated knowledge was just miscellaneous endeavours. How could they not understand that we ourselves were one of the legs and arms to Founder Avenzio's reign in glory!" Melvin was infuriated and couldn't help but vent out his frustration. He had no semblance of care for the disturbance he may have caused.

" “Great Serven family”,“great ancestors”, even you yourself understand that everything the Servens amount to is their past. How pathetic and shameful . . . clinging onto the legs of your forebears. It is no wonder the family has fallen far."

"Who are you?" Melvin immediately confronted the voice. 

"A meer insignificant Serven brat wants to know who I am?"

Melvin's eyes scanned the old robbed man head to toe. He had silver, curly hair messily stretching out from under his hood, which appeared to compliment his disorganised beard. He could detect palpable scorn from his dead-like hazel eyes set rooted within their sockets. When he initially looked into them, his heart palpitated from the dreadful bearing. Though he was unkempt, he sported a moderately wealthy attire and high-heeled buckled boots. The contrast made judging the man's background impossible. 

"Quit staring! Are low class “nobles” so lacking in delicacy?"

"Old man! You dare!!" Conquering his brief intrusion of fear, Melvin strutted towards the old man to truly meet him eye to eye. 

Ignoring his displeasing public appearance, to Melvin, the act of mocking his noble status was unforgivable. Although he had many times been treated as a lower class noble by other higher class Feerias or acquaintances, this was the first time he had been mocked face to face by an outsider. It meant much more as it was not behind his back.

"What is a rabbit like you attempting to accomplish?!" His eyes were completely unfazed by Melvin's attempt at putting a brave front. In fact, his cold eyes dropped even further to a frigid level. 

 

***

 

Perspective Change: Melvin

I silently gulped; It was a reflexive action. 

With nothing left to stir the glands of my mouth, my throat became parched. 

Consequently, I found it extremely difficult to open my mouth.

I could not speak.

I could feel his slow icy breaths powdering my face. The breaths acted impudently to mock me, but I could not retaliate.

Unknowingly I had averted my eyes away from him. I forced them upwards.

The thumping of my heart rose to a crescendo, and the ringing of my ears heightened having realised the position I was in.

The oppressive gaze of my opponent was terrifying; how could I have not noticed how frightening they were? Despite how unfathomable it was, I instinctively understood: I had no place.  

Those dead-like eyes of his appeared to manifest a world that nobody would understand. And yet, I was able to enter and take a glimpse into this world. Was this an invitation? Or was this a severe warning to keep out?

"Did you not hear me?! What are you trying to accomplish?!"

I . . .

It was unchallenging.

It was a matter of declaring to all of them my desire. 

However, when it came to this old man, I was rendered frozen solid.

Like an ice sculpture waiting to be chiselled, I could only show my brilliance at the finisher. 

But that was not sufficient! Not sufficient at all!

After all there would be no point! And that brilliance is a relic only for those fortunate in the past.   

I must conceive a method to avoid being left as part of a meagre collection; a collection that would barely even be considered.  

I am unlike my father and mother or the rest of the Servens.

Indeed, Melvin Serven. That was the second biggest step: I came to the Orphanage to prove myself.

"Did the cat get your tongue?"

Not simply to ease the burden of the family's finances. 

"What is with that glassy look in your eyes?"

Nor to disband the last flickers of flame in our bloodlines through an act of cowardice.

"Truly just a brat. Not even a man."

A different beginning that was not on the course of sole obligation and discontentment. 

"Go take a look in the mirror. That is the face of a shameful naive brat unwilling to accept his fate."

In attest with the Heavens and Earth as my witness, may I be banished into purgatory in failure before death.

"He who cries today that he has no bread will cry again tomorrow because he isn't hungry."

*Beads of sweat shattered the ice*

In the name of the Servens . . .

"I VOW TO MAKE THE SERVEN FAMILY GREAT AGAIN!!!!"

 

 

Author note: For this important chapter, I utilised a 1st person pov for Melvin. Hopefully it was done successfully. My blood was boiling from writing this! 

1