Chapter 60: The Throne Hall
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A lone man, approaching his fifties, comfortably sat on his soft, light, orchid pillow which rested carefully upon a golden throne. The throne's intricate embellishments shone in different hues of gold and stood tall enough to see the reigning crest of the golden sword and crown. This royal crest was embedded in the throne a small distance apart above the ruler's head and below the sanguine gilded canopy. Adjoined next to the throne was another seat that gracefully accompanied the throne on equal footing. Unfortunately, this was now a vestige of its former glory.

With half-closed eyes, the man reflexively shifted his eyes from the empty seat to his armrest. There, he stopped for a brief moment, and then withdrew his hand closer to his line of sight. Beautiful, coloured, gemstone rings imbued with powerful mana glowed and shined through the reflecting facets. It would leave anybody captured in their magnificence. However, to the man, it was nothing but pretentious decoration befitting and required for a ruler. Instead, his contemplative eyes laid rest solely on a single ring that barely compared the exuberant gemstone rings. 

It was a silver ring. 

There was nothing to say about it besides its plain silver colour and wealth that would be deemed as expensive for the common folk. He carefully caressed the silver ring with one of his vacant fingers. Peering into the reflection, he could see a visage of himself. But that was not what he wished to see. Waddling his finger with a slight tremble in hands, he was able to long last dig a reminiscent figure who held the hand of the reflected man. 

"Katrina . . ." the man whispered softly. It was said so soft that not even he would hear it. His eyelids were going black, reaching further, and deeper into the vastitude of nostalgia.  

*Knock* *knock* *knock*

The sudden noise dispelled his drowning and returned him to his awaited duties. 

"You may enter."

The entrance to the throne hall opened, and a noble royal guard entered a scant distance passed the doors.

"Second Prince, Barry Relza wishes to converse with your Majesty."

The man firmly nodded his head in response.

The noble royal guard escorted the Second Prince briefly before bowing and turning back to his position, closing the throne doors behind. 

"Your Majesty."

"We are alone. You may address me as father."

"Yes father." 

"Speak Barry."

"It has been reported by the inner kingdom guards that there appear to be intruders attempting to enter into the vicinity of the Royal Capital. As of now, there is no information in regards to their aims or appearance. However, we have identified from their brief disturbance they're likely from the Swamp or Feeria, judged by their concealment techniques."

"Numbers?"

"At the very least, less than ten from what we have gathered."

"The delegates?"

“No, they have not been notified. Security has been heightened, but we are keeping the matter undercover to maintain ease and order.”

"Good," the man said approvingly. His gaze no longer held a shred of despondency. "I assume they have not infiltrated into the Royal Capital?" he added.

"It is unlikely father. However, their concealment techniques are considered to be formidable, so it is possible they have slipped past us. I do not believe that there could be that many troublemakers with such a level of skill."

 " . . . " The man slightly lifted his chin, and his eyes consequently fell to the grand chandelier overlooking the hall. He was musing.

Barry took the opportunity to enact his ulterior motive.

"Father, would you allow me to handle the matter?"

 " . . . Barry."

"Rest assured father, I promise I will not pass the limitation of my capabilities. I will only aid and direct in the movement and not be a burden, nor would I enter combat."

" . . . Burden . . ." the man muttered. 

The mutter did not reach the ears of Barry. In fear that his father would reject his proposal, Barry began to insist and lodge in a desperate manner. Unfortunately for Barry, his father was still hesitant in spite of his excessive plea.  

With no other choice, Barry listed another compromise to settle the matter. It would hinder his credit, but he knew that his father would not budge otherwise.

"Father, if someone were to look after me . . . would that settle your worries?"

Finally, the seemingly indomitable ruler was shaken. Barry understood that exploiting his diction with “look after” was a decisive choice. Barry did not dislike how protective he was, but for his ambitions and to prove his worth, this was a crucial wall that must be passed. He was too paternal for a ruler. Since the end of the war, it has become much worse.

"Barry, I do not believe that the intruders are to be underestimated. In consideration of their abilities and the tourney in three days, you must act with more caution. You have learned from your studies how powerful those who can conceal are correct?"

"Yes father. But to reach a high level of particular expertise, one must sacrifice proficiency in other areas. This is very true when it comes to those excelling in concealment."

"Good. Then I will leave that matter to you. Please take your sister along with you. Remember not to disturb her during the day of the tournament."

"F-father? You want me to take sister along? Why must it be her?"

"Unsatisfied? It would be a good opportunity for you to mend the quarreling relationship you have right now. Furthermore, she herself is one of the Knights of Majesty."

"You are right father . . . but she is too young."

A long winded sigh was huffed out from the ruler's nostrils. Afterwards, he slowly began to open his mouth.

"Indeed. But much like her mother . . . in any case she has been persistently nagging at me to deploy her for missions. I have sheltered her too much. It's about time for her to spread her wings. Although the intruders are unknown and have slipped past our borders, they are on the fatherland. This incident would be best for you and her to handle together."

Knowing that he could not refute, Barry acquiesced.

"Yes father. You can leave it to me." 

"Yes, I will leave the matter to your hands. Take care of your sister. Do not neglect her and make sure to listen to her words."

Barry nobly bowed and left the throne room. Silence descended upon the throne hall once again.

Suddenly, the man raised his right hand towards his chin into a fist and let out a harrumph.

"Roy my Boy! Come out and ahoy!"

Silently out of nowhere, a man appeared before the dais and landed his feet on the extravagant sanguine rug.

"Your Majesty."

"Roy, you are the same as always with your phlegmatic character. How many times do I have to tell you to be casual brother? Call me Richard!"

"Richard."

"Good good!" Despite his adulation, Richard's gaze was sharp and serious. He understood that him not being reluctant was an insinuation.

"You may speak Roy." The elevated mood significantly lowered to a tense level.

"It appears that “they” have begun to move."

" . . . Are you sure?" Richard stared fixedly at Roy's slanted eyes. It only took a moment for him to recognise the situation. "I see it is a pity. Truly a pity. It is regretfully time to unravel the facade and cease the blind eye."

"Reporting to your Majesty, there appear to be demonic beast sightings in these particular areas . . ." Swiftly, Roy swiped one of his arms above his other hand. The ring, on his other hand, gleamed for a second, releasing a map in its wake. Afterwards, he marked the areas where the beasts have been spotted.

"Have there been any attacks?"

"No."

"There appear to be more sightings present on the left of the continent. Do you believe that they are involved with this?" From the information concluded from the map, and the abrupt mention of this report could only suggest so.

"Fifty."

"A flip of a coin . . . Are they planning anything here?"

"Their eyes do not seem to be on us but are vigilantly watchful. Particularly, since the nation's drastic economic growth." To the world, it was unbelievable that the Kingdom entered a prosperous age a few years after the Great War in spite of incurring the most losses. 

"Indeed, so, it would be problematic if they interfered now. If it is them, then they shouldn't be the intruders." Richard's eyes widened for a moment from an epiphany. "Could it be the Dark Cabal?" he added in realisation.

"It is very possible in regards to the beasts. However, they appear to be preoccupied with their own affairs. The suppression has steadily dwindled their strength."

"I see . . ." Various emotions arose, but he endured it. He and many others had made this decision since long ago. He must face the consequences without turning back. That was especially so as one of the leading heads. (Then it must be that detestable fox.)

"Your Majesty, shall I oversee the children?" As a show of testament, the periodic gleams on his body flashed with greater vigour. 

"No brother. You have your own duties. Now that the time has come, I cannot afford to remain like this. I have faith, as their King, and more so as their father."

1