Chapter 17: Pre-Soldier Exam (4) Rhinearian Beetle
164 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What was before an unassuming boulder was now a towering behemoth. The creature that stood before him had a rocky bronze carapace, opened up to reveal large wings underneath, and jaws of stone that looked to deliver a crushing bite. It had six legs, three on each side, and a large horn that was once a simple outcrop atop the boulder.

(Rhinearian Beetle!) 

Dalis stared at the beast with wide-open eyes and tried to rack his brain up with any ideas to deal with this situation. His initial thought was, in actual fact, to try and contend against the beast. After all, a Rhinearian Beetle was a beast that would provide him with a sizeable degree of mana for his collection. In addition, a day had already been passed, and he is yet to have any points to be measured. Dalis was very likely to be already very behind the other candidates. Moreover, Dalis had not a single thought of the mechanisms behind utilising a tri-section staff. The issues continue to go down south as the anatomy of the beetle was known for its solid defence. It was difficult to penetrate. Thus, from the moment he had opened the chest, obtained an artefact, and disturbed the beast. Nothing had been fortunate for him.

(Sigh . . . looks like I have to try Plan A once again.)

The beast approached closer. Each past stamp seemed to quake the very earth. Dalis dropped one of his arms that held the tri-section staff and reached towards his pocket. He made exaggerated ruffling sounds as if he was desperately searching for something particular in his pocket. 

"JA JA JA JIAN! CALPUFER HERBS!"

Dalis stuck out with pride his only source of value in front of him. The beast briefly stopped its movements, eyeing the herb. Dalis couldn't help but unleash the smile of the devil. He then attempted to proceed to enact his sadistic torture. However, before he was able to undertake his barbaric practices, the beast relentlessly charged at the despicable human with full force. Its eyes alone were an indication of its intense fury. It was going for a full-force takedown! 

(Are you . . . freaking kidding me?) 

BOOM!

Dalis was struck by the furious onslaught. He had tried to dodge the attack, but the unexpected velocity had caught him off guard. The impact of the charge had caused the surrounding debris, grass, and sand to swell up, and spread through the air.  

As the air began to be slowly cleared up from the aftermath, an unexpected scene emerged in view. Dalis was laid on the beetle's back, tucking his legs and leg locking the beast's thorax. His arms were tightly grasping the two ends of the tri-section staff, coiling the neck to lock the beast as if it was a collar. He was not a beast master, nor was he riding a horse. This was just an amateur attempting to tame a beast . . . or at least that is what it was supposed to be.  

"The more you continue to wriggle and struggle. The harder I'm going to twist your neck. I was almost killed by you just then, and it was an even closer call than the damn Green Razor Wing.I've had enough of this place."

Dalis steadily applied pressure to the tri-section staff as the middle section continued to tighten and choke the beast. Realising that death was imminent if it were to continue as it is, the beast reluctantly calmed down.

Dalis breathed out a short sigh of relief and raised his tattered shirt up. He checked the wound on his abdomen: the right upper quadrant. There were no signs of bleeding. However, it was very evident that his abdomen was very swelled up as a large bruise the size of his hand had appeared. Dalis was thankful that he was fortunate enough to not be pierced by the horn of the beast. Otherwise, he would probably be forced to retire with the resources he had at the given moment to treat the wound. 

(Now seriously . . . Can somebody tell me what to do next?)

A couple of minutes pass by. Dalis sat nonchalantly on the beast and thought of his next course of action. He had planned to make a small hut or some sort as he had finally found a clearing. However, as it stands, he was literally glued onto the beast. For some reason, he had not taken the opportunity to kill the beast. When that thought had arrived into Dalis's mind, he questioned his prior actions. He felt that if he were to slay it now, it would be a waste. This was mostly due to the fact that the beast had become very docile. Which honestly, somewhat put his mind into turmoil. How could such a ferocious beast be so compliant?

So Dalis decided to do something ridiculous . . . 

 

***

 

"Two day have almost passed. All contestants should have an artefact by now."

A group of individuals sat at a small dinner table, enjoying their delicacy. 

This was one of the small dining halls reserved for the highest authorities of the Missionary Church of Vanquish. It was a dining hall that was usually used to serve esteemed guests. Its lack of space was an indication of how special it was. Not even generals were allowed to take a step in. 

However, the preceding five days are a special case. After all, it was the Pre-Soldier Exam. The individuals were enjoying their gourmet meals, watching the exam, making comments, and exchanging pleasantries. 

The large marble screen that hung on the wall near the dinner table was the main source of talk for the individuals. The screen showcased the views of the various candidates for the exam, and it periodically changed every few minutes. Due to a large number of participants, the screen was incapable of focusing its cast on a particular few. Thus, it was impossible to focus on the best future prospects that usually gave an entertaining show. 

Of course, this did not displease the viewers. After all, it was their job to oversee them. They were required to observe and assess all the candidates.

"Indeed General Baseth. Though it's a shame that a surprising amount of candidates have already retired," General Maire lamented.

"Do you have a figure?" Crown Prince Kayle asked.

"Your Royal Highness, out of the two hundred and forty-seven participants . . . seventy-five have retired. Thus, there are a hundred and seventy-two left," General Zelgius reported.

"Ayyy, the children need to step up their game!" Apostle Wrau complained.

"I'm a little disappointed. However, it was close to my expectations. After all, the circumstances and situations they're put in are arduous. In a realistic setting, without the proper experience, it is inevitable for such things to occur. Even unreliable notions such as luck could play a vital role in one's survival," Apostle Farden disclosed.

"Like that one candidate who came across the Green Razor Wing."

"It's a shame that we were unable to see the outcome of what happened to that boy. He was really unlucky to encounter such a beast from day one."

"Hahahahah, Marie. That boy will be fine without a doubt! He's one of a kind." 

"That boy was undeniably talented and coolheaded. However, if I remember correctly, his mana seed was dormant. He wouldn't be able to get that far even if he managed to escape," Zelgius stated. 

"Dormant mana seed? At his age? What a pity, what a pity."

"Apostle Farden, you are interested in that boy?" Crown Prince Kayle questioned.

"In my eyes, that boy surpasses the two peers of his. I could tell from his calm attitude and his cautiousness that he is far above the others in the mindset of an ideal Vanquisher."

"Interesting. I too thought along the same lines but was unable to appraise him that far. Though, I believe that his two peers deserve a little more credit. Especially that boy with his spells. As we saw before, he was quite composed as he swiftly struck those Valimites."

(I heard that Feeria child cussed quite vulgarly during that incident a few weeks ago, with one of our soldiers-in-training.) Marie thought.

"That girl named Alexia Mae and boy named Hayate. Those two will probably be the top rankers for this Pre-Soldier Exam,"  General Zelgius believed. 

"What does Apostle Wrau and Apostle Farden think of those two?" General Baseth asked curiously for their insight.

"Hmm . . . well they're certainly talented children and very skilled . . . I can't deny that . . . " Apostle Wrau muttered.

"Then? . . . what is it they're lacking?

 Apostle Wrau was hesitant to speak.

"They lack discipline. As expected from internship students from Feeria and the rising prodigy of the Swamp. Their arrogance is hindering their growth. Without diligently following the teachings of Caleyar, they are just a bunch of spoiled children," Apostle Farden grumbled. 

"Well in retrospect, their organisational structures and systems of government are very different from ours," Crown Prince Kayle commented.

"There are also those two, Li Jun and the son of the Commerce Apostle, Benito Carter," Marie mentioned. 

While the individuals continued to be immersed in their discussion. An unexpected scene was brought to the spotlight.

*NNNGH* *NNNGH*

The sound of choking was heard next to General Marie. It appeared that General Baseth was choking on a glass of water he had just drunk. This sound had naturally brought the attention of those present on the table.

"Are you alright Baseth? I know you're excited with all the food and chatter, but you gotta have some self-control," Apostle Wrau admonished.

*Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

"Excuse me for the disturbance. I simply couldn't maintain a straight face after what I had just witnessed."

"Hmm? Was there an issue with what we were conversing about?"

"No no no, please look at the screen."

When the group of highly notable status turned their heads to view the screen, they were startled. 

*TING*

Only the sound of dropped utensils reverberated the room.

3