Chapter 25: Pre-Soldier Exam (12) Sleeping together
150 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It all started because of the shelter issue. Simply put, there was nowhere to sleep. Thus, it was decided that they would just sleep on the floor or at least lean on the logs they had rested on. 

Then came the issue of comfort. 

The floor was cold.

Although the campfire was a source of heat, it couldn't be lit forever. While they could add more fuel to the fire, there was the risk of the fire spreading out during their sleep. It wouldn't be funny if they were burnt due to a moment of carelessness. 

Subsequently, Sienna suggested using each other's bodies to heat themselves up. Jessica was a little uncomfortable but was in agreement. Dalis preferred isolation. However, he was unwilling to sleep in these barbarian conditions and hastily concurred. 

Sienna asserted herself to be in the middle.

This was the turning point.

Somehow, the girls became engaged in a small argument about the “fairness of sleep positions”. After Dalis listened to about twenty seconds of the conversation, he had utterly shut his ears off. He then decided to go venture the nearby periphery to kill time.

After he came back, the two had yet to finish their discussion.

Dalis was stupefied.

Thus, Dalis attempted to interrupt their nonsensical discussion and proposed an alternative. 

"How about we bring back the campfire? We will have two people sleeping and one person awake to keep a watch on the fire. The person assigned to be awake would also be a lookout. We would rotate this every few hours so each of us will obtain adequate sleep amount. After all, even if this place may be 'safe” there is always the slim chance that a beast may pass by. It would be killing two birds with one stone. Correct?"

A moment of silence had descended upon the girls.

What Dalis had said was completely logical and the smartest choice. In fact, wasn't this something they learnt as a part of their training regime?

Despite this . . . 

"No it's fine."

"Your right Dalis. But we shouldn't strain ourselves. We all need a good night's sleep."

"Like I said . . . "

"No." The two firmly rebuked in unison 

Dalis was close to tilting off the face of the earth at this point. Irritated, he suggested being in the middle. 

Miraculously, the bickering had vanished.

Dalis was left speechless.

 

***

 

" . . . "

It was the middle of the night. Two young girls laid to each side of him. They were fast asleep. It wasn't surprising considering all the events that occurred today. Or is it yesterday now? In any case, Jessica and Sienna were resting peacefully. 

For the average young teen boy, being in this situation was a dream come true. Having the privilege to sleep with not one, but two women at his young age would allow any man to die without regrets. In addition, he would be able to brag about this to earn the intense hatred and jealousy from all fellow virgin men. The boost in ego was well worth the minuscule cost.

However, this was different from Dalis. 

Dalis, for the most part, had no such doltish ideas.

In fact, many of the Orphanage children were the same. 

If Halio was to comment he would say . . . 

"Ya balls haven't dropped yet, have they?"

That wasn't to say Dalis was insensitive or immune. Rather, it was pleasing to him. It was new to him. He had slept in the same room with these girls back in the Orphanage. But, that was thoroughly another story. This time, they weren't separated by beds and ladders. They were close enough to touch. It was comforting to be aware of their presence beside him. He"d never felt so intimate before.

"Dalis are you awake?"

Dalis heard a whisper next to him. It was from Jessica. 

"Yeah."

"Could I ask you something?"

The tone of her voice was very heartfelt. It seemed she had something she really desired to convey.

"Go for it."

"Back then . . . when that beast—"

"Which beast?"

"The boar . . . "

"Carry on."

"A-anyways . . . when that beast was charging at me, why did you go so far?

"Elaborate."

"Why did you try so hard to rescue me? You were so reckless. You had no reason to push yourself so far for someone like me. My life may have been in danger, but if I just wished to retire . . . then that would be that. It was as if you were putting your life on the line."

"Do you need a reason?"

"Yes."

"A reason . . . " Dalis mumbled. 

(Why did I try so hard to rescue her? Why for someone like Jessica? Why was I so impulsive? My actions were certainly out of character. Was it because of Sister Edna's request . . . or was it because I wanted to?)

Being put on the spot, no matter how much he pondered, he couldn't find a precise reason. It just felt natural to him. Dalis was reluctant to keep her waiting. Hence, he just said this:

"Dunno."

"HUH?"

Jessica, who was waiting anxiously, elicited a shout.

"Quiet down. You will wake up Sienna."

"What do you mean you don't know?" Jessica's voice returned to a whisper.

"It's as it sounds. I don't know."

"Can't you give me a reason that I will actually accept?"

"What's a reason you will accept?"

"Argh! Anything that is not, "I don't know." Got that?"

"Hm . . . because you're my roommate?"

" . . . Is there more to that?"

"I did not wish to see you hurt?"

*Sigh* 

(Did it really matter?) Dalis did not understand.

"Ah whatever!"

Jessica frantically rustled her hair in frustration.

"Could you quit wiggling?"

"Who's damn fault do you think it is?"

"You?"

*Sigh*

(That's a second sigh.)

"Thank you."

"What are you thanking me for?" Dalis asked.

Jessica turned her back against him and did not reply. Instead, a slightly crestfallen murmur echoed out into the night. 

"In the past, I thought you were similar to me. But eventually, I started having doubts about it. Now I can say that my intuition was right. You are probably like the rest."

Dalis's ears managed to catch the fleeting murmur. He did not understand the words that escaped her mouth and felt it was difficult to reply. But no matter how much time had passed, there was only a bout of silence. 

(What did she mean . . . ? Ah, whatever I'm tired.)

Dalis decided to withdraw and drowse into his slumber. 

***

Zzzzzz

!!!

Dalis suddenly opened his eyes. 

His eyes were wide awake.

They were starking. 

(Rhinearian Beetle!)

The Rhinearian Beetle had been downright forgotten! Dalis began to recall back to his last conversation with the beast . . . 

 

*Flashback*

"Hey! I order you to remain and guard my residency. I do not permit you to sleep until I am back."

The beast gave a short cry in response as it moved its body up and down. It seemed to have understood its master's order. 

"Good. I won't be long."

 

*Present*

($%^#^! I won't be long?? It's been like seven whole hours or more by now! If that beast to all intents and purposes obeyed my decree . . . )

" . . . "

" . . . "

Suddenly, Dalis's eyelids closed in a leisurely manner and returned to their natural state.

(Well. Let's be honest. In all probability, its gone to sleep. Unbelievable! I was roused from my deep sleep from something as nugatory as this.)

Hence, Dalis returned back to dreamland.

Meanwhile . . . at "Dalis's residency".

Two silhouettes were dashed against the night sky, lit by the moon and glittered in starlight. One, a crude shack standing sturdily yet with leaves tranquilly swaying to the breeze. The other, a shivering lump of earth that threatened to crash. It was questionable whether the Rhinarean Beetle was shimmering due to the rain earlier, or the many tears cascading down his face. Despite this, it was concerned more about the well-being of his master than his own fatigue. Aggrieved with a choice that he had pondered upon for the last few hours, he made his decision.

The Rhinarean Beetle solemnly raised itself. It disobeyed its master's orders and began looking for him.  

The third day dawned, bright and sunny. In defiance of the desirable, remarkable weather, the three were heavy in sleep. Considering yesterday, they were nearly dead with fatigue. Outwardly, they may have held pertinacious perseverance. However, the truth was they were in dire need of rest. Dalis was the first to awaken in the wake of noon. He raised half of his upper body and performed a light stretch. Noticing that the girls were still asleep, he quietly cleaned up the campfire from last night. 

There's nothing worse than being woken up first thing in the morning.

(Damn Stilla . . . )

Contrary to his beliefs, he would obediently get up from bed if it was his true big sister. 

A couple of minutes later . . . 

Yawn

Jessica was the second to leave the dreamlands. Sienna had awoken shortly after Jessica.

"What time is it?" Sienna asked a little drowsed.

"It's past noon according to Dalis."

"I slept for that long? Did I make you guys wait?!"

"No. I had only just awoken around thirty minutes ago or so. Jessica awoke a few minutes before."

"I see. It appears that yesterday's exhaustion took quite a toll on us. That's not good. We missed valuable time that could've been spent on hunting . . . if only we woke up a few hours earlier . . . "

"Don't worry Sienna! We managed to obtain a decent earning from yesterday. Right Dalis?"

"Correct. We hit the jackpot. Or at least Sienna and I did."

"Hey!! You didn't need to put it like that!"

Jessica grumpily walked up to Dalis, raising a fist. Having said that, her actions then turned a 180. She turned around. Not letting Dalis and Sienna see her expression. 

"What's with her?"

"I can't tell if your slow on the uptake or just acting ignorant." Sienna sighed.

"Anyways. You girls ready to go?"

"Yeah." The girls replied simultaneously.

The three walked towards the top of the hill. There appeared to be nothing out of the ordinary on top of the hill. Nonetheless, as they approached close to the other side . . . they noticed that the hill was in truth, hollow. It was probably a cave . . . 

Author note: Yeah, this sleeping cliche where the girls fought over Dalis wasn't meant to happen. It should have been much more normal and accepted. I am very sorry, my rom com desires kicked in. Fuck! This scenario was supposed to be reserved for . . . *Ahem*

3