Chapter 31: Pre-Soldier Exam (18) Alexia Mae and Hayate: Arrogant Geniuses
123 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the fourth day. The weather was sunny and mild: a perfect day to implement their plan into action. Although the initial schedule was to set off by morning, the group instead rested until it had reached noon. This was due to Dalis's suggestion to allow Stilla to obtain more rest and recuperate for longer. Stilla, of course, was not permitted to complain and unwillingly complied.

After breakfast, they moved out towards the direction of where The Monster was last seen. As they approached closer, the howls’ of The Monster resounded, becoming increasingly distinct and louder. It was not much different from yesterday. It appeared there were was another batch of brave candidates facing the beast. Perhaps the candidates presumed that the evolved wolf was fatigued from the several clashes prior to today. Thus, schemed to take advantage of its current condition. Or maybe the candidates had united under one banner? Nothing was definite until the party had reached the source of those continuous howls. 

At this point, other sounds had been vocalised. . . they were the screams of participants, no, rather victims . . . 

Eventually, Dalis's team had reached their destination. Before their very eyes, a humongous wolf the size of a mammoth stood proudly over them. 

This was The Monster. 

It appeared to be half-wounded, but it was vigorous and triumphant. The surrounding radius was once filled with luxuriant trees and plants. However, now it was ruined foliage. 

Around six candidates were encircling the beast. The distance between them was roughly sixty metres. A single glance could tell that the odds were not in their favour. Their clothes were torn, and bruises and wounds were in stark view on various parts of their bodies. Some of them had blood trickling down from their more serious wounds. 

Fortunately for them, none of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening. It was credible as there was a healer. It was thanks to her that the party managed to keep intact despite how threadbare and exhausted they appear. However, her pale face, wobbling legs, and vehement gasps suggested she was reaching her limit. 

There were two individuals out of the six who gave the impression of being unexpectedly fine. 

One was a fair-skinned girl, with long orange hair draped over her shoulders. She wore a sky blue cloak over the top of a brown leather chest plate, harnessed together by belts, connected to a baggy pair of trousers. They looked casual. But with the many tears in them, she looked no better than a beggar. Yet, she showed an expression of ease. Even though her situation shouldn't have allowed it. 

It appeared as if she either had a lot more up her sleeve, or she simply didn't realise her own position . . . She was the prey. 

The other was a young male donning a jaded green martial robe. He had a neat high collar that accentuated his jawline. He had sharp violet eyes of steel, and aside from a flowing crimson ponytail reaching down his back, the rest of his hair was cut short and sharp. Even in his body's dishevelled state, the boy showed no signs of fatigue.

The group recognised them. 

Those two sharply delineated individuals were Alexia and Hayate.

When Melvin saw them, his handsome countenance distorted, replaced with a repulsive hardened look. Stilla's natural smile became rather wry while Sienna's expression turned sour. Dalis seemed to be insusceptible to the whole scene and solely displayed a subtle interest with those two outliers. Otherwise, there was nothing different. 

"Who are those two?" Dalis asked.

" . . . You don't know?" Sienna replied stiffly.

"Dalis don't you remember them? We have met them a couple of times in the Training Facility. They're Alexia and Hayate," Stilla reminded him.

"Hmm . . . there are no bells ringing. Ring it for me if you would like."

"Dalis you're kidding right?" Sienna looked at him in disbelief. 

Dalis tilted his head in response. 

Sienna was unable to understand this man.

"*Sigh* Alexia there is the young mistress of the Mae Family from Feeria. She is known to be one of the most talented mages of the young generation. When it came to water, it is she is considered unrivalled. It is said her control of water would one day surpass her father—Harold the Water Elemental Master. While that green-robed male is Hayate. He is from the Swamp. Although his background is unclear, it is rumoured to be quite exceptional and he is renowned as the “rising prodigy of the Swamp”. They're considered to be the top candidates of this Pre-Soldier Exam." Sienna explained in a peevish, but firm manner.

"Judging by everyone's reactions, there's some history to it I assume," Dalis stated in an uninterested voice, glancing towards Melvin's profile. 

"Is there a problem? I feel very uncomfortable having being stared at by an imbecile. Would you mind looking another way?" Melvin said with an irritated tone.

"Dalis! Melvin! Don't start anything okay? We have to go help them," Stilla exclaimed.

(Did I do something?) Dalis mused with obliviousness. 

"Hmph," Melvin snorted.

" . . . Yeah I guess . . . " Sienna mumbled in an unenthusiastic voice.

"I propose remaining stationary to prevent the occurrence of mishaps. Those two intolerant and contemptuous ignoramuses are likely to botch our conceived plan," Melvin articulated with heartless intentions. 

He knew that if the plan was to follow through at this given moment, those "ignoramuses" would most definitely be a nuisance. 

"Melvin . . . " Stilla tramped towards Melvin. She was ready to scowl at Melvin! Stilla too disliked Alexia and Hayate, but she did not hate them. As such, she would not hesitate to aid them if they were in trouble, likewise to now. How could he not put aside their differences? They may be in competition, but they were fellow Orphans!

Just before she was about to teach Melvin a lesson, Dalis stopped her hand. 

Although Stilla had not raised her hand yet, he had seen her fist clenching.

It was apparent what she was going to do. 

Thus, Dalis had reached fast grappling her wrist, though it was not firm at all and rather gentle. Dalis had deliberately done this to soothe her anger.  

"D-Dalis?" Stilla was a little out of the zone as she was caught up in the moment. Oddly, her face became a tiny bit flushed due to his intimate action.

"Melvin is correct. Just follow up alright?" Dalis said with a slow, gentle voice. Contrary to her expectations, there was no scolding, no anger, nothing negative: just tenderness. 

"O-okay," The world seemed to spin around for her. Those rosy cheeks were now conspicuous. Open for Melvin and Sienna to scrutinise.

Melvin, in his mind, felt a little thankful for Dalis. But, as soon as he noticed the reaction of Stilla, he steamed with indignation. However, this was concealed. Instead, his face expressed a hard, uncaring look. After all, this was not the time to be acting immature. 

On the other hand, Sienna was wowed. Although her eyes could not compare to Dalis, they too were keen like a sparrow.

Despite observing Dalis for three years in admiration, she was now impressed with another feature about him. It was not his skills, brains, or usual calm demeanour, but his unexpected charm to captivate women. 

(Wow, even my skipped a bit after watching this scene. It was one line with no flowery words, yet Stilla looks like she has been enthralled! One line!! This can't be intentional right? Observing Dalis up close is much different from a distance . . . Unfathomable . . . truly unfathomable as expected from Dalis) Sienna mused as she blankly looked at the two.

Stilla still remained a little dazed. Noticing that Stilla was acting strange, Dalis attempted to snap her back to her usual self. 

"Oi keep focus Stilla." 

"Eh? Oh yeah." 

Stilla brows and eyes turned sharp, turning her attention back to the battlegrounds that had been unintentionally ignored for the time. Dalis breathed a mumbled sigh with relief. 

She was back in the game. 

It really was a wonder. Who was the big sibling in this relationship and who was the little sibling?

When Dalis looked back at the battlefield, he noticed that the four of the six fighters were unable to continue combat. Two of the famous candidates remained standing, two have been knocked out, while the other two sat next to each other as one treated the other's arm.

Dalis gulped and turned his head to face the haunting death glare of Stilla . . . 

At the battlegrounds . . . 

Alexia and Hayate persisted to stubbornly resist The Monster. 

Two streams of water could be seen manipulated by Alexia. They were azure in colour similar to the sky. The waters coiled as if they were aquatic snakes, slithering the air around her. These currents were usually calm like a stream in the mountain range. However, if they were to be aggravated, they would become a waterfall . . . 

Much like now! 

They were water cannons ready to gush out and cascade mercilessly on their mundane foes! 

"A meer dog dares continue to misbehave in front of me, your mistress? Allow me to say, this is not the extent of the Mae Family!" 

Alexia gestured her arms as if she was a waterbender. In response, hydro cannons became heavy artillery, splashing down heavy blows onto the wolf. The beast growled in response and began to relentlessly charge at her. The water was strong and more potent the closer its target was, but when compared to the beast, it was not powerful! If there was a water source nearby, perhaps there was the chance of the beast being halted, but that was only a realm of possibility. Furthermore, sixty metres was stretching her capabilities. 

Thus, it was unstoppable! 

Despite knowing that her water had only slowed the beast to a minor degree, she remained unmoving. She was not perturbed at all by the ever-closing in mammoth-sized wolf. 

How arrogant and haughty was she? 

Or did she have a plan?

2