Chapter 48: The Inevitable Confrontation
108 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was almost the end of the week. By early next week, the fifteen available spots will be determined in preparation for the annual expedition. Many of the children, who have yet to be chosen, were vehemently exhibiting their prowess for a last display of show. When it came to those eligible for the tourney in the Cresuilge Kingdom, a sizeable number of them were training to win. Although it was unlikely, in their hearts, the prospect of winning was equivalent to a child chasing after a grand dream or goal. Ironically, they were still considered children. 

However, there were a fair number of children relishing their days in the Orphanage. Dalis happened to fall into this category of individuals. After all, the expedition was similar to a student's summer vacation. Nobody knew how long it would actually last. Historically, the shortest expedition has been only a month, while the longest had prolonged for four and a half months, which occurred last year. Sometimes they may briefly return to the Orphanage, but would soon set out before they could dwell back into their sweet homes.

These short days may be the last time he will ever be able to live as a child of Vanquish . . . no live as an orphan from the Missionary Church of Vanquish.

(Indeed, I have a strong feeling that this may very well be my last.)

Dalis held the doorknob. He was about to knock before he heard a voice granting him permission to enter

"Come on in my—no. You may enter, child." 

Dalis's spine slightly tingled from her brazen words, but he was unafraid. Without hesitation, he firmly opened the door.

Creeek

The hinges of the door squeaked as it slowly opened, and the early evening amber rays of the sun peeked out, revealing the sharp figure outlined by the dim light. The moment the creaking became obsolete, the figure was hardened and exposed. 

A woman in her early thirties, clad in the habits’ of a Sister. Unlike the dark blue habits' of the other Sisters, her attire was deeper in hue, pleated, clothed with a white coif, and black veil instead of a blue one, signifying that she was one of the highest standing Sisters. 

Her hime cut, flaxen-brown hair that fell past a little over her shoulders, rested against the long draped black veil and was tinged gold by the leaking rays from the translucent fabric. It did not fail to highlight her fair skin and motherly features. Not even the white bandeau she wore could hide the attractive hair as it was only able to cover a quarter down from the top, disclosing most of her frontal fringe for everyone to see. 

The glaring feeble light within that room may make it a little difficult for people to recognise her, but the gleaming area around her collar bone was a focal point for a dead giveaway. 

The white coif was embroidered and embellished with silvery-white silk. A gapped thin line that circled the coif could be seen bridged within, seemingly placing the gleaming rosary necklace's silver chain she wears in place. It certainly appended a little more attraction to the paltry frilled guimpe that laid underneath. 

" . . . Hello Mother."

Yes, this person was the Head Mother—Mother Michelle.

"It's been a while since we have last properly talked. Go take a seat." 

"Will it take long?"

"Perhaps, perhaps not."

Dalis did not take the seat. Instead, he chose to stand firmly in front of her. It was a subtle way to display his defiance towards her. Mother Michelle leaked a grin from his decision. She could tell that he was not the type to be idle or succumb.

(Good. If he did not have such a backbone, then he would be a matter of a single-use tool.)

"Congratulations on achieving the first rank in the Pre-Soldier Exam. It is an overwhelming delight to have an orphan of Church origin be the highest scorer," Mother Michelle said with a carved smile on her face. "If only things were as simple as this . . . right child?" 

"Please explain Mother so this oblivious child could understand."

Placing an index finger to her chin, she contemplated. "Hmmm . . . " Slowly, she walked towards Dalis before coming to a stop a metre away from him. 

"You still haven't recalled your memories correct?" Mother Michelle said, narrowing her eyes. She stared at Dalis and studied him as though he was a specimen from a museum. 

"That is correct Mother."

"How unfortunate . . . or maybe fortunate."

"What do you mean by fortunate Mother?" Dalis probed as if he was absent-minded. 

"It could mean many things young child. But ultimately . . . " Mother Michelle's brows creased, her pupils momentarily shrunk, and her voice resounded with a dangerous threat: "your value as a tool of mine."

The mood of the room became tense, the air turning deathly still. The lurking enmity between them was brought into the spotlight. Dalis felt his body stir turbulent from the increased tension. He did not avert his eyes from her, but could not slow the galloping horses within him. 

"Since the farce and masks have been torn off, what is your aim?" Dalis asked. His demeanour had undergone a change. No longer was he acting as an innocent child. 

"Your manners are now a little profane, child," she said and then gave a small giggle. "Though I'm a little perplexed. I did not think you would be so direct. I believed you were the type to beat around the bush and probe for answers," she added.

"You're the Mother of this Orphanage, yet you do not know your children well. It's okay, I will give you a passing mark. 

"Child, the moment I called you here, I have already shown you my stance. You're a very observant child. There is nothing else that needs to be said here is there?" Irritation was laced behind her voice. 

" . . . Was it tough keeping appearance?"

"Oh, it's not a problem at all. You see it happens to be my job . . . no, mission."

"Oh? Well I do not know if you had intended to tell me that, however I will lay rest to your piqued curiosity. I'm simply not in a position to be able to enter negotiations with you."

"Very good, child. I'm very pleased. I may even recommend you to my superiors if it wasn't for the complications behind you. Such a shame . . . no this is actually to my favour." She giggled once again, expressing her enigmatic smile. 

Dalis felt patronised as he was forced to dance in the palm of her hand. But he could only acquiesce and wait for her to finish her pandering. At the very least he managed to obtain a few things out of it. 

(Mission . . . superiors . . . there really is some kind of conspiracy going on with the Church. Or is she—)

"I order you to investigate them," Mother Michelle declared, subsequently interrupting Dalis's thoughts.

"Who are they?" Dalis inquired.

"It is your task to find out for yourself. I'm sure you will be able to deduce why."

(So she's testing me. But is that really all there is to it? Perhaps she doesn't trust me . . . but the card . . . no, cards in her hand are ample. I do not have enough information . . . ) Dalis mulled, carefully conceiving anything he had missed. Mother Michelle meticulously watched him. 

"Do you know where you can find them?" 

"Hmmm . . . I suppose you could say that. Regardless, your fate has been sealed since long ago. Besides, you don't need to be so antsy. You will inevitably meet them in due time."

" . . . "

(That nails it. Although I'm barely informed of anything, I'm screwed either away.) 

"If you manage to execute your task well, I may consider revealing a little of your past."

!!

Dalis's chest heaved, and his breathing became irregular. The greatest mystery was just a door away from him. Even if Mother Michelle was not telling the truth, the minute possibility had ignited an inextinguishable fire within him. He did not believe his desire to know was this voracious, but being confronted with this could only force him to accept that this desire was utter gluttony. Dalis subconsciously grasped his chest.

This action was an open book to Mother Michelle. He didn't appear to hide his thirsty desire to know of the past. She felt even more reassured that Dalis was right in the palm of her hands.

"What do you know about my past?"

" . . . Impatient aren't you? Fulfil your task first. You have plenty of time once you cut ties with the Church. Am I wrong?"

" . . . As I thought, you knew that I was planning to escape."

"It was only a matter of time. I did not know if you would actually do so. But in the grand scheme of things, it did not matter, yes?"

"Yes."

"There is no need for you to return to the Orphanage. I have my means of contacting you, child."

" . . . Understood."

While waiting for her next series of words, Dalis furtively surveyed the room to find anything that may catch his eye. Scanning, he found it was difficult to perceive due to his position and amber lighting. Fortunately, his keen eyes managed to obtain a brief look at a portrait that was slightly moved on an angle. 

"Another thing—"

Creeeeeeek

The door opened widely with a screech. A little more force and the door would have slammed against the wall. A Sister appeared inside of the room. She leaned an arm against the wall to catch her rapid breaths. Her clothes were partially dishevelled, matching the urgency written across her face. Beads of sweat could be seen trickling down.  

"S-Sister Edna . . ."

 

Author note: We have less than a week until the challenge is over! If you guys desire to have 4 days a week release instead of 3, please comment on the announcement chapter and give an overall rating to the story! We need only 2 comments from different users and 3 more overall ratings!

1