Chapter 56: Maddison Artish
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"She is strongest of the Knights of Majesty, the Hero Maddison Artish. The renowned master bowsman who is known to be the Hawkeye of Cresuilge Kingdom."

"Knights of Majesty, Hero Maddison Artish . . ." Dalis's mind drifted to recall the information he obtained from Halio.

According to Halio, she is a very skilled marksman, a master tactician, and often referred by enemies and many others as "Hawk". Like a hawk, she is a predator, and her wings fly on the battlefield. And when accompanied by her nature of being planful and responsive, she becomes a frightening battle asset. She never fights her foes toe to toe and will always be a fair distance away. When she finishes her meticulous judgement on her prey, she will act accordingly and initiate the optimal method to swoop down and swiftly eliminate her target/targets. Her arrows are said to never miss her target unless intended. A missed arrow is not an indication of failing to hit her target—it is in an indication of the prey entrapped in a lockdown. 

She is also one of the few heroes left remaining since the war. Although she is a newborn hero, she will not fail to contend against the rest of the fallen heroes. 

"We have arrived."

The contemplating Dalis awakened from his thoughts. Two fairly tall adults could be seen conversing in front of a large, hot, burning forge. The adult male wore a rusted woollen tunic with a long leather apron. His golden shoulder-length hair is pulled back to a tie, making him seem a little feminine. When Dalis saw the other adult, the woman, words from Halio echoed in his mind.

“The lassie is a busty and lusty, thicc babe in her mid-twenties. She ain't particularly beautiful, but her developed shape and musculature make all the boys go wooing for her. The double Ds man. Listen, it ain't all about de pretty face. Woman gotta have . . ."

And thus, Dalis shut his brain off. But he did have to admit, the woman was very eye-catching in appearance. (So this is the beauty of heroes . . .)

"Boy, are you the one?" Korah questioned.

"Greetings, sir." 

Mindful of the Hero in front of him, Dalis immediately took out the canine teeth and, without hesitation, handed them over to Korah to inspect. It did not take even fifteen seconds for Korah to finish his brief appraisal.

"There is barely any demonic mana imbued in the teeth. I thought this was a joke, but then I noticed the mixture of blessed mana inside. Despite the mana of these two elemental mana properties, the teeth are as clean as our own teeth. All it is now is just tough bones from a dead beast. It's honestly a shame. These bones are definitely from an evolved beast, but it's very lacklustre to all the other material I've seen from evolved beasts. I've lost interest." In spite of his callous-like attitude, he carefully returned them to Dalis. 

Afraid that the blacksmith may ask him to leave, Dalis hurriedly spoke. 

"Could you forge this into a weapon and enchant it?"

Korah looked him in the eye. "Can forge it, but will be unable to enchant it."

"How much will it cost to forge it?"

Korah shook his head. "Forget it. You got any other parts from the beast?"

"No. I suppose the material is not sufficient?"

"It's sufficient, being enough. But not exactly adequate. You see, although these canine teeth are low-grade material for an evolved beast, they're quite high quality compared to other material. You don't seem the type to be content with having some meagre handles."

Dalis nodded his head. (Hmm?) Dalis noticed the other pair of eyes seem to view him differently. Maddison's eyes became up-turned as her curiosity was piqued.

"So, you really have good eyes. You are from the Missionary Church?" Maddison guessed.

Like kindred spirits, they gazed at one another. Korah was startled. He knew of Maddison's personality well. It was rare for her to actively engage with someone. It wasn't as if she was aloof, but she would openly show her discontent with somebody. In addition, even if she did find somebody of interest, her attitude would come off as unfriendly and difficult. 

"Correct. You are the Hero Maddison Artish?"

She responded with an unreadable look. Dalis understood that what he asked was a pointless question, but knew that she did not mind. 

"Do you specialise in small hand weapons?" 

" . . . Do you believe I use knives or the like?"

"Naturally. You asked for a weapon to forge. If you desire to optimise the utility of a weapon with solely those materials, a pair of daggers would be the go-to. Furthermore, the size of the canine teeth are perfectly fit to form the blades."

"No, you are correct. However, I actually specialise in using a bo staff. I have been trained to use blades similar to a knife, but I lack experience in the throwing or projectile department."

"Ah it's a pity. Those eyes of yours . . ." A brief moment of despondency showered over her, until an epiphany occurred to her. "Would you be interested in being my disciple?"

"Huh?"

"??!"

The most astonished was not the person in question, but the experienced blacksmith Korah Haddad. 

"You serious Maddie? Seems I'm right for calling you Mad Maddie."

(Huh? Maddie? These two must be close).

Maddison was deaf ears to him and continued to silently stare at Dalis for an answer.

(She's actually gone bonkers!) Kodad thought.

Dalis wished he had the option to contemplate his choices, but his fate was sealed. It was unknown how Mother Michelle would react to this. There was also the issue with the darkness power hidden within his body. Dalis had the feeling that this woman would not mind, but there would certainly be a public outcry if revealed.

"Unfortunately, I will have to decline your offer. Thank you for your consideration."

"SERIOUSLY?!" Korah boomed with disbelief. 

Even Maddison furrowed her brows. She scrutinised him to speculate his thoughts. Notwithstanding her doubts, it wasn't long before she reached a conclusion.

"Visit the castle if you wish to find me." Leaving with those words, she paraded away. 

As she was departing, Dalis's mind turned murky, and his body started to convulse. His body felt like living clamouring shackles; they clanged and trembled like a struggling chained inmate. 

The shackles were brought to a sudden still when his eyes left Maddison's figure. 

"She's quick as always. Hm? Something wrong? Boy, it's probably too late to chase her. If you go now, she will reject you." The tone of the man's voice was now polite. 

" . . . "

(Did I make the wrong choice? It's as if my own body was punishing me for not going along with her offer. But why? What is this feeling?) Dalis gripped his forehead, touching the generated liquid. (I'm sweating? Just what is going on . . . My mind feels a little dizzy too. Not good . . . my body feels very weak as though I have lost vitality.) 

"Boy?"

" . . . Apologies. I blanked out for a moment."

Korah wore a face filled with disbelief but didn't take it to heart. 

"Jackchanter, do you know where to find him?"

"He has his own workshop somewhere in the castle. Boy, it would be difficult to negotiate with him. Besides riches and wealth, he's only interested in taking offers that interest him. Unless it was a request from the King himself: that is his primary job. Even some of the Knights of Majesty struggle to please him. However . . . if it was Mad Maddie . . ."

"I see. Thank you for the information."

Dalis politely dismissed himself and staggered to the ground floor. Although the shaking shackles had stopped, the vibrating aftereffects could still be felt, let alone his disorganised mind and loss of energy. Suppressing his chaotic body, he postponed these thoughts for another time. For the time being, he aimed to purchase a bo staff or a similar weapon. After inspecting a couple of weapons, the lingering pain gradually eased away, allowing him to somewhat properly indulge in the allure of these combat devices. Alleviated from his restrictions, he took time to survey everything, including the expensive weaponry and other miscellaneous items.

(Only three. I rather not choose from the other limited blunt staves.)

"Customer, how may I help you?" A friendly clerk offered to assist him.

"Is there any other bo staff in stock besides these three?" 

"Eh? You want a bo staff? I'm sorry these are the only three in-store. In fact, bo staff are generally not manufactured in most places. I apologise for my rudeness, but even the limited steel staff have almost ceased production. How about a tri-section staff? These are quite popular amongst particular groups."

"No, that is fine." This was something Dalis knew already.

"If you need any help, please don't hesitate to call one of us." The clerk went off and left Dalis alone. 

(I may have to "borrow" the steel bo staff I always used back at the Orphanage. The length is quite short and fit for a young teen to use rather than an adult. Even if I do manage to find one, I would need to get it customised to suit me.) Dalis did not wish to take the staff as it was not his: it was borrowed from the Church's Training Facility. 

Dalis sighed and dejectedly left the store. Not long after rambling around the streets, something interesting was captured into his sockets.

"Oh? Isn't that . . ."

 

1